Please note that there is an updated version of the game! Please see notes at the bottom of this main post!

Alrighty, folks! Welcome to the super late 2022 Halloween Event:

Back To The Darkness From Whence Ye Came!

This is another video game event (since everyone here should be a gamer!), similar to the previous couple of Halloween events! This event has 101 giveaways in it! There is some trash, but a whole lot of treasure! All of the games are horror/scary/extradimensional-evil-being/Halloween-themed.

So, the last couple of years, I've done game-flips, which weren't just straight-up asset flips. I mean, I did go get new assets and replace ones in existing games, but I also ended up adding a lot of additional code to make those games better/more focused/the right length/whatever for our events. This year, however, I wrote a whole new game (similar to what I did back with the 1954 game for the PEW PEW PEW train a couple of years ago). I did start with some GameMaker template items to accelerate things a bit, but it's primarily all custom code. I also was using GameMaker 2 for the first time (since I got a 1-year subscription in a bundle somewhere), so there were a few things to learn there as to what's changed from the original one that I already knew at least fairly well.

Alright, alright, that's super...tell me about the actual game, dude.

Ok, fine, fine...I'll get to the good part.

Totally made-up, conveniently-timed background story: Halloween is over, but somehow all of the ghosts and monsters haven't returned to their own purgatorial dimension of darkness! Nope, they've decided that it's way better to stay here and just continue to terrorize the creatures of this dimension all year long. You, the never-rotting jack o' lantern hero, have to step up and blast these baddies back where they belong. That's right, strap on your weapons and scream toward the evil creatures of the night, "Back to the darkness from whence ye came!!!!!"

Basics

Gameplay

So, the game is an endless arena shooter and completely uncomplicated. Shoot everything that moves, and get as high of a score/level as possible. You can grab powerups to make this easier (more on that in just a bit), but otherwise you just need to run around, keeping yourself from getting hit by the monsters and kill as many of them as possible. You start with 3 lives and lose one each time you get hit. Also, when you get hit, you'll turn red with a glowing ring around your jack o' lantern, and you'll be invincible for 3 seconds -- move away from other monsters fast!

Levels and Scoring

This is super easy. For the first 20 levels, you'll level up for every 30 points you earn by shooting monsters. After that, it'll take 50 points per level. There are seven different types of baddies, and they score as follows:

• Ghost - 1 point
  • Cyclops - 2 points
  • Chompy Beige Anger Blob - 3 points
  • Saucer Demon - 4 points
  • Reaper - 10 points (these guys are pretty tough and take quite a few hits to kill)
  • Zombie - 5 points
  • Tunnel Worm - 6 points

Enemy spawns are pretty well-paced up through level 50...and then the gloves are off. Expect a pretty continuous onslaught at that point, and it will get slightly worse every 10 levels above that. 😈

Enemy Movement

• Ghost - floats slowly, directly toward you all of the time
  • Cyclops - moves toward you horizontally first, then vertically, constantly speeding up and slowing down (watch out for these guys, they're tricky)
  • Chompy Beige Anger Blob - crawls toward you constantly, moving vertically twice as fast as they move horizontally
  • Saucer Demon - hovers toward you, then suddenly breaks into bizarre spiral movement (no one knows why)
  • Reaper - travels left-to-right or right-to-left straight across the screen, accelerating as it goes (be careful of that speed if you're on the far side from where it started)
  • Zombie - walks toward you, then randomly stumbles into a wavy, drunken gait (because, hey, it's a zombie πŸ˜†)
  • Tunnel Worm - doesn't move at all...but will shoot three projectiles your direction if you don't kill it fast enough

Weapons/Powerups

• Candy Corn - this is your default weapon. There is so much leftover candy corn (because it sucks and no one wants to eat it) that our hero was able to collect it all and turn it into ammunition
  • Orange Candy - shoots a triple set of spinning orange candy, doing the same damage each as the default weapon; limited ammo
  • Eyeball Shooter - a splorch-sounding weapon that fires in a single stream, doing the same damage per hit as the candy corn, but firing at 5 times the speed; limited ammo
  • Bat Gun - shoots a fairly slow stream of screeching bats that waggle left and right, but do major damage for each hit; limited ammo
  • Purple Bomb - single use here, but awesome...grab it and kill every single monster in the room!
  • Invincibility - grab one of those red pumpkins on the ground, and you'll turn on your invincibility shield for 8 seconds!
  • Extra Life - starting at level 25 (before that, you're on your own, kid), you'll occasionally see an orange pumpkin with a "+1" next to it...grab it and get an extra life. But leave it be if you're already at 3 lives, because you can't have more than that! Save it for when you take a hit.

Controls

This is easy. Point the crosshair mouse cursor where you want to shoot and hold down that left mouse button. To move, you can use either WASD or the arrow keys (to support both lefties and righties). Nope, sorry, you can't redefine the keys. Didn't have time to code that.

That sounds good, but you still haven't told me how I can win games

Oh yeah, that's kind of important. So, there are four trains with increasingly higher requirements to enter, but the games get increasingly better as well. All of the trains require you to have given at least something on SG before, and thus require a measly level 1 to enter, but this should help filter out at least some of the bots and extra-bad leechers.

• Train 1 - Reach at least level 10
  • Train 2 - Reach at least level 20
  • Train 3 - Reach at least level 30
  • Train 4 - Reach at least level 40
  • Grand Prize: Reach at least level 50 (this is the full Walking Dead Definitive Edition that includes the entire series with remasters of the first couple of games, a $50 package)

FYI, this is honestly pretty easy to do. First "real" playthrough of the finished game, I made it to level 87. Second playthrough, I made level 138. 50 should be a piece of cake.

Once you've achieved any/all of these things, the code to enter that train will be available on the game over screen, clearly labeled along with your score.

In case you're not familiar with it, every giveaway on Steamgifts has a five-character code, and that's what's listed as the start of each train. All you need to do is write down your train codes, and insert them into the URL in your browser as follows:
https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/ABCDE/
All you have to do is replace "ABCDE" in the string above with your five-character code from the game, and POOF! MAGIC! You'll be looking at the first cart in that train. There is a sample graphic of what this looks like at the end of this description with obviously fake codes in it.

Important street cred for keys

The game in the last cart in each train, as well as the grand prize, were all donated by jesuswarjesus. So please take the time to say thanks to him, as he got me over the hump to get this from 96 GAs to the 101 that I wanted to make it.

Unfortunately necessary note about cheating and proof that you actually played

Don't do it. Play the game. It's not that hard, doesn't take that long, and should be at least some degree of fun. Anyone caught cheating, whether giving or receiving codes from the game without playing it, will get added to my blacklist. My blacklist is short...but once you're on it, you're probably never coming off. So, just resist being a douche canoe and play the game that I worked hard to bring you, ok? Alrighty. Enough about that.

The game doesn't save the high score to a file or anything (another thing that I ran out of time to do), so you'll need to get a screen shot. Please get a screen shot of the game over screen that shows all of the trains for which you're qualified, and have your profile up in Steamgifts in the background (I've provided a sample of what that should look like at the end of the instructions here). Please do not post it in this thread and show other people the train codes! Just keep it handy or go ahead and upload it to Imgur or something. I'll be spot-checking wins and all of the most valuable ones, including the grand prize. So be prepared to prove that you played or be ready for a re-roll.

Things that I would do if I had more time (and especially if I were going to release this game)

First and foremost, there would be some basic graphic options, key reassignment, and saving of settings/high score to at least a local file. I would also design specific waves of baddies with more varied patterns, as well as adding at least 4-5 more of them. I'd add at least a couple of more weapons. And most importantly, I'd have boss battles every 10-20 levels or so. But I was coding an entire game in a week of free time (while I was trying really hard not to let my super-busy life schedule fall off of a cliff), so I had to keep things pretty simple and focused for this go-around. Maybe I'll crack it back open later and enhance it. We'll see.

Ok, let's get going!

First things first: Download the game

Install the game (on Windows...sorry, no time to attempt multi-OS support here) and fire it up! Now, your browser and probably your anti-virus may complain that they don't know this file, that it's unsigned (or whatever other malarkey they come up with), and start panicking and tell you not to install it. It does not contain any trojans. The game does not communicate with any external servers or attempt to contact anything over the internet. It just runs on your machine. It's safe, I promise.

FYI...if you want to make the game full-screen, just hit alt-Enter to switch between that and windowed mode. You can also drag the corner of the window with your mouse to resize it manually.

Other stuff

The trains end at 11:59 pm on November 14st - Central Time, US, so you have time to finish up. And this year you have no excuse that Halloween got in the way since I delivered this so late. 🀣

A couple of these keys (especially in the lower-level trains) are really freakin' old. So, please be cool and agree to a delete if they don't work for some reason. Being the swell guy that I am, I'll find some kind of replacement game for you of roughly equal value, so you won't go home empty-handed if you were supposed to win something.

EDIT 11/11

So, I just uploaded an updated version of the game (you can still use the link above). It is totally ok if you've already finished with the original version! I just made some minor convenience updates -- but nothing that will change anyone's ability to get a higher score nor change the difficulty level. If I tweak any of those things, it'll be after the event is done so that everyone was playing the same game at the same difficulty level. :)

Little things I added/changed:

• the game over screen now displays the final level that you reached
  • remaining ammo for the powerups now displays at the bottom right corner of the game screen
  • fixed a bug on the levels (this did not affect score -- only how levels were calculated) that essentially gave y'all a free 4-5 levels right after level 21...yeah, some of you that barely made level 50 before didn't really hit it. But that's ok. Nobody is gonna make you go back and redo things if you don't want...if you squeaked in there because of my bug, congrats. πŸ˜‰
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Were you starting to lose faith that the event I promised would ever happen?

View Results
Yeah, I mean, you kind of kept moving the date out, and despite the regular updates, it just didn't seem like it was going to ever get here. Also, I don't believe in anything or anyone. I mostly just sit in the dark alone and cry, wishing that I could be a flying glitter unicorn in a happier land made of gumdrops and chocolate..
NEVER! I have unyielding faith in you, O Grande Poobah of unnecessary game events created solely for the purpose of self actualization and perhaps a bit of good karma!
I spent the entire last week in uncertainty, gently wallowing in a giant vat of mashed potatoes. I am slowly eating my way out, but my naughty bits may be permanently adhered by mashed taters.

:) I was wondering what happened with this. I thought you may just make it into a Thanksgiving/Christmas type of event. Anyway thanks as always for making the nice event. My High Score so far is 3390. I made the mistake of using the extra lives up when I was capped at 3 lives already.

1 year ago*

That's still a pretty killer score! Glad you're having fun with my little game here. :)

1 year ago

I read the whole text with rapture, thank you for your work! (oΒ΄β–½`o)οΎ‰

View attached image.
1 year ago*

can I ask, where does the image comes from?

1 year ago

thanks, i didnt go to see black Adam. nice art

1 year ago

I serve at the pleasure...

😁😁😁

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 week ago.

1 year ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

This looks like a cool event for the community, Grez. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

1 year ago

Sure thing! It's becoming a tradition at this point, so I'd better start planning ahead for next year. πŸ€“πŸ€ͺ🀣

1 year ago

1. Play the game! πŸŽƒ (Let's get rid of the ghosts)
  2. when you're done, "save a screenshot of your desktop with your Game & Steam profile displayed."
  3. Absolutely no cheating.

Note:Be sure to Security scan downloaded files.πŸ”Ž
I think the important things boil down to these three things.πŸ€”
Forgetting number 2 will cause participants to shed tears of blood. (You can be one of the ghosts.)

I can't play right now, but I'm looking forward to it. Grez & jesuswarjesus Thanks!(∩´Θ`)βˆ©πŸ•ΉπŸ“Ί

1 year ago

You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing how you do (seriously, the game isn't very hard in terms of hitting the train goals)!

1 year ago

Started playing just about 20 minutes ago.
The score is 2689.

[Tip]
can pause with the "P" button.
The game window is quite adjustable in size.
Users can also maximize and undo with ALT+ENTER.

β™ͺ ((o'Θ'o)) β™ͺenjoyed it.πŸŽƒ
[Problems]
The only problem is that there is no "mini-map".
When moving to the edge of the screen, be sure to do so "right after cleaning up enemies" or the player will be injured by physical contact if there are enemies on the destination map.

Thanks for making it.(人Θ'o)
Oh, I'll attach the screenshot later as I haven't processed it yet.πŸ˜‰

1 year ago

ADD Score imageβ™ͺ(*'Θ'cε½‘πŸŽƒγ€€

P.S. Be sure to make the "TRAIN" information invisible before uploading.
There are three locations: left, middle and right.
If Players forget to turn it off, you will be bumped by the superhero.πŸ˜‰

View attached image.
1 year ago

nice !!
reach 1858
https://ibb.co/ZdFVdC8

1 year ago

Thanks bump.

My Highscore 2635, think it was level 66.

View attached image.
1 year ago*

I feel like train 2 triggered before level 20, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.
A nice distraction from work and made it to the end. Thanks!

1 year ago

Wow, really nice event, great job. Really appreciate what you do for the community! Made it to 2553 on the first run. Did not attend manz GAs, but enjoyed it. Thank you!

1 year ago

Thanks a lot for great event and game!

1 year ago

Thank you for this event!
A bit of criticism, the sound in the game seemed too loud to me, and when I got the improvement, I had to turn the volume up to 2%, the beats are super loud.
Btw first try -> score 2320.

1 year ago

That's interesting, because I reduced the level on virtually all of the sounds. Even with my volume above where I normally keep it, it's actually very comfortable (and I did test it on multiple devices). Wonder what the dealio is on your machine? I guess the best thing to do at this point is use that volume mixer and set this app much lower that your overall system volume level. Sorry about that...definitely not trying to kill your eardrums or anything.

1 year ago

Well well well, looks like all the time I've put into Vampire survivors and 20 minutes till dawn has finally paid off - thanks for a great game and event, really enjoyed it!
I personally wish the difficulty ramped up a little bit quicker but I totally understand that it wasn't supposed to be super difficult!

1 year ago

I definitely get that. That's another thing that I would likely add if I were working on this as a published game...various difficulty levels, and appropriate achievements for each.

1 year ago

Thanks for the fun & spooky game!
4935 (level 97ish?) on my first try. I lost focus towards the end and made a series of bad moves that quickly cascaded out of control and ended the game for me.

Loved the sound/music and the weapons had some nice heft. Mowing down a pile of baddies with a stream of eyeballs was oddly satisfying.
My least favorite enemies were the Chompy Beige Anger Blobs (these little buggers really do sneak up on you) and the Tunnel Worms (at one point, 3 of them were simultaneously firing bullets at me from different directions)

Time to check out the gibs!

1 year ago

Here is some game design feedback that nobody asked for:
The camera should always stay in front of the player so they know where they are walking to.

1 year ago

Yeah, fair enough. I may tweak that up later. I'm a bit new to having the finnegal the camera in GameMaker. I used the default threshold on the camera control in the viewport, and while I'm not really jazzed about the player just sitting in the center of the screen the entire time, I certainly would consider figuring out how to narrow the area of free movement before the screen begins to scroll.

1 year ago

"There is so much leftover candy corn (because it sucks and no one wants to eat it)"
Hey, now! Give some of that to me! I'll eat it! I love candy corn.

I'll try to do this sometime, if I feel better tomorrow and have a bit of spare time. Right now, I'm helping to test Beat Hazard 3 on both Steam and Epic's launcher and playing through Telltale's The Walking Dead in its entirety for PAGYWOSG, so I've got my hands full. But I do wish you luck on your event!

1 year ago

Thanks! And I'm glad to hear about Beat Hazard 3! I loved the first two games!

1 year ago

It was easier to aim if I didn't move so much.

View attached image.
1 year ago*

Shhhhhhhh...don't tell the others! :D

I added code to ensure that the baddies didn't spawn unfairly close to the player, and they can't spawn outside of the walls (well, except for the Reaper, which just makes sense), so if you head to a corner, you can keep your fire focused on a 90-100 degree span that is much easier to cover. ;)

1 year ago*

And you gave us a game to play too! You're made of awesome. How was the concert? ;)
High Score 2543 (level 65 I think but my screenshot didn't work)
Somehow it got easier when I realized some of the enemies were spawning outside the walls lol

1 year ago*

Thank you! The concert went pretty well -- I managed to hit all of those high notes, so PHEW! And then I bartended at the afterparty at my own house for like 4 hours afterwards! But hey, I had a lot of happy people with custom cocktails, so a good time was had by all. :)

1 year ago

I managed to hit all of those high notes, so PHEW!

Now you're ready for the karaoke event at SG

But hey, I had a lot of happy people with custom cocktails, so a good time was had by all. :)

You live to please, don't you? ;)

1 year ago

I am an eternal sucker. 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

1 year ago

More like Santa with a Superman cape ;)

1 year ago

Hit Level 60+. Had problems with my clicks resizing the screen 🀣

View attached image.
1 year ago

I'm not sure what world you are on, but this is certainly challenging LOL. :D
Thank you for the game!
Train 2 501 points

1 year ago*

Deleted

1 year ago

Congrats on where you are so far...but please delete this screen shot right away! You are showing everyone the train codes to the first two trains! Thanks.

1 year ago

AGH! I didn't think of that, apologies and I 've deleted it. I am SO embarrassed 😳

Please forgive me. I was so happy I made it to that score I blanked entirely.

1 year ago

Lol, no worries. Since people need to get screen shots anyway, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. :)

1 year ago

Bump for fun!. Got 2742 score. Died at level 69 when I was sniped by some bullets.

1 year ago

Yeah, if you get too many of those tunnel worms in there, you can really get into trouble with them hosing down the screen with their bullets. It's super important to take them out right away or run to a cleaner part of the screen.

And, of course, the whole thing is RNG-based, so there is at least some small luck factor in there as well. :)

1 year ago

πŸŽƒ Thanks you for making a wonderful Halloween Event~ πŸŽƒ
End score 3934 got crush from projectile. .
Hoarding item for emergency use is good strategy.
Oh and maybe add blinking for Invincibility so you know when it gonna end?
Also would be neat if you can add pause button in the future.
πŸ‘» (Gotta pick flower but can't stop the game) πŸ‘»

View attached image.
1 year ago

Good idea on the invincibility blink!

Oh, but there IS a pause button. I forgot to mention it in the notes (I'll add that). Just press...the Pause key on your keyboard. Or, you can use "P." πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Oh, and good call on the hoarding strategy. That's how I got up above 130.

1 year ago

bump! also if someone can't open the installer, open properties and tick unblock

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

I want to reach 100 but i was killed by those gray digletts.

View attached image.
1 year ago*

Those guys really are a pain. Give it another try...took me a couple of goes to crack level 100.

I'm also realizing that I should put the level on the game over screen. :D :D :D

1 year ago

Guess it's time to get spooked again. ↀα΄₯ↀ Thanks for your work. πŸŽƒ

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.