Giveaway (lvl 3+)

Just some time ago, Finland had its 100th anniversary, but now it's Finland's kid sister Estonia's turn.

While it's not as big as other countries, as rich as others, as cool as others or as known as others, it's still there. There might be no SG threads about this (until now) or Steam sales for it or any real news stories about it or really anything else, but I'll make sure that at least a few of you manage to see this and say "Huh... hopefully there's a giveaway in there.."

If you're just interested in some random facts about this small country, then click here

If you're interested in Estonia's history, then click here.

If you don't want to bump, but you still want to say something, but can't think of anything, then feel free to let me and other comment readers know what you knew/thought about Estonia before I brought it up now :D

6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Have you heard of Estonia before?

View Results
Yes.
No.
Boy, I live in Estonia!

Palju Γ΅nne, Eesti!

6 years ago

bump

6 years ago

Palju Γ΅nne!

6 years ago

Just visited Estonia (Tallinn and Saaremma) few days ago as part of our vacation. Was a great experience, so best wishes for eternal independence!

6 years ago

Every few years I visit my close relatives there! I love Tallinn ^^

6 years ago

First of course: Happy birthday Estonia! πŸ˜„

As an European of course I know Estonia but I especially remember a text we read in an english lesson about "e-Estonia", which mentioned that the country is very affiliated to digital things. They even declared internet access a human right!

6 years ago

That just underscores your being some years younger than me, Estonia's policies w/r/t the internet weren't even a thought when I left school. ;-)
I assume the 1986 in your nick points to your birth year.

6 years ago

Hehe yes and I assume yours doesn't πŸ˜„

But actually it was in an english lesson of my apprenticeship about 7 years ago.

Maybe we should send our beloved chancellor to this "Neuland" πŸ˜„ It's about time we stop living in the stone age here πŸ™„

6 years ago

Correct, I'll reach level 40 in this epic RPG called life early this May.

No arguement from me w/r/t 'Neuland', too bad it seems to be waaaayyyyy down the list of goals again in Bundestag and Bundesrat.

6 years ago

tssss i am 1 year older :-P (and in the middle of the year 2)

6 years ago

I did know about Estonia before your thread. Mostly because of my insterest in the Hanseatic League.

Funny anecdote.
Since Talinn was also known as Reval here in Germany for a long period of time, my geographic teacher once gave as a hint in an quiz about cities in the Hanseatic League: 'Those of you who smoke should have an easy time to give at least one answer'.
That is because at that time a pretty popular cigarettes brand here was named Reval.

6 years ago

Finland gave us My Summer Car. What has Estonia done for us lately? ;P

But in all seriousness, Happy Birthday, Estonia!

EDIT: I have learned that Skype owes its origins to Estonia, meaning that I have had several job interviews that have gone well thanks to Estonia. I am also very much on board with competitive wife-carrying.

6 years ago*

Greetings from Finland πŸ’™

6 years ago*

Happy Birthday Estonia!
Thanks for the random facts. Only thing i knew about Estonia till now was "Vana Tallinn". Great for coffee drinkers :)

6 years ago

bump. Happy birthday

6 years ago

Happy birthday !!!
bump

6 years ago

Happy Birthday Estonia! :)

6 years ago

Interesting article you linked!
Since I live in the EU I've heard of Estonia, also I think I've seen somewhere that ice hockey is rather popular there. Apart from that I didn't know much about this country except from its capital name so thanks for providing me with some other facts :)
I'd like to visit Estonia someday, but, well, I'd also like to visit almost every other country in the world xD

Anyway, happy birthday to Estonia and I hope you have a good time celebrating!

6 years ago

Did you know that stones were invented in Estonia? That's where the name comes from. ☺

6 years ago

Bump, and Happy 100th Birthday!

6 years ago

Happy 100th!

6 years ago

I've enjoyed fun facts about Estonia. We were planning to visit Tallinn last year but it didn't work out sadly :(

Happy 100th! \I^v^I/

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

6 years ago

I went to Tallin 7 years ago. It was nice :)

6 years ago

Who wouldn't know the northern half of Livland? ;)

6 years ago

Ages ago, training to be a councilor at a summer sleep over camp, I met Errol(sp?) from Estonia. He was always friendly, loved climbing trees, and was just a really cool guy. That's always what I think of when I think of Estonia.

6 years ago

Happy Birthday Estonia!

6 years ago

Happy Birthday to Estonia. :-)

6 years ago

Happy birthday to Estonia!
Haven't been there muself, but my brother visited Tallinn last year or the year before. He said it was beautiful and really authentic.

6 years ago

hope you will get 200th easily!

6 years ago

Closed 6 years ago by zeruel132.