edit: I have just ordered a MSI GeForce® GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G for 362€ and should receive it on July 28-29.

As much as the 1070 was tempting, the other parts of my PC are getting quite old and I thought it might be better to get a cheaper one to extend its lifetime by a few years, and maybe get a whole new PC when the next generation of GPU will be out.

So it was either the 1060 or the RX 480.
A lof of people suggested a particular model for the RX 480 (Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+), but this wasn't available already so I would have had to wait an undetermined amount of the time and I wasn't really willing to. This card also made the price argument of the 480 a bit bogus since it was sold for 320€ where I could find it.
The other main argument in favour of the RX 480 was that it seemed more future proof, since at the moment it performs better in DX12/Vulkan games and had 2 extra GB of memory. However by the time this become really relevant, I might be looking to get a new PC soon.

This left me with the 1060. Models around 300€ were out of stock, so I had to pay a bit extra, but coming from a HD 6870, I should be more than happy once I get my hands on it.

This is pretty much a follow-up of my previous thread about my graphic issues. Odds are I'll be ordering a new GPU on Monday. But I'm completely clueless about this and I don't know what to get.

The 1070 is really tempting, but there's also quite a price difference (1070 starting at 500€, 1060 at 300€ and 480 at 260€). I'm not planning to do anything fancy, just playing on one 1080p monitor for now, I'm not particularly looking to get a 1440p soon but I might, especially if I end up getting the 1070.

So, should I go for the 1070 or is it more than I need ? Will the other cards cover my needs for several years ?
Also wondering how to choose a specific brand/model of card

Giveaways for bothering everyone with my newb questions today : ended

https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/aJVCl/satellite-reign
https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/PLC9D/hurtworld

edit: I forgot, but here's my config:

PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power L7 - 530W
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1Go
RAM: G.Skill Kit Extreme3 2 x 4 Go PC15000 Sniper CAS 9
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
MB: Asus P8Z68-V LX

I'll probably buy a SSD in the upcoming months, but anything else I should change ? Will the new card be fine on this config ?

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

1060 for 1080 gaming, 1070 for 1440, 1080 if you are rich.

Personally, I'd go with a 1060. I think the price for the 1070 or above are too high still.

7 years ago

Well, except 1440p The Division, Witcher 3, and some other newish titles.

7 years ago

even i can run the witcher 3 with my gtx 750 ti

7 years ago

1070 can't max Witcher 3 at 1440P. You do have to lower settings a little bit.

7 years ago*

Even my 1080 cannot play Witcher 3 at max settings. I have to turn my settings down to be able to hit 100 FPS.

Of course if you are using a 60Hz monitor then it will be enough.

7 years ago

Nope, 54fps ish max settings at 1440p, literally unplayable /s.

7 years ago

agreed, under 100 frames and then my x34 predator monitor is a waste.

7 years ago

RX480 is more future proof, look at DX12 and vulkan benchmarks. r.i.p ngreedia

7 years ago

You should dial back a little on the fanboy. While AMD is certainly in a much better position with the 480 until most games are properly optimised for DX12 then the green team are still going to have a bit of a lead. Hopefully AMD will have something really killer soon even if only to force the prices to come down.

Whether or not they do Nvidia is in a very comfortable position and decades away from needing to rest in peace.

7 years ago

i rate this post 3.5/4

7 years ago

7 years ago

It's "Synthetic" and do you even know what a synthetic benchmark is? Because Time Spy is a Real world benchmark dumb dumb.

7 years ago

3DMark is a synthetic benchmark, no matter how they call their latest test. And both card manufacturers cheat on those tests, this is why nobody outside a marketing department cares about 3DMark scores any more. Currently the GTX 1060 barely keeps up or lags behind the RX 480 in DX12 tests. And naturally lags a lot behind Vulkan-using games, since that is based on AMD's own Mantle technology.

7 years ago

just as talgaby said, also

View attached image.
7 years ago

I commented on your spelling not your grammar dumb dumb.

A synthetic benchmark, is one that simulates load on PC components and then monitors the behaviour of said components. 3DMark doesn't do this, 3DMark runs a set of 3D Scenes and then monitors performance.

7 years ago

Oh no, they have one game running better on Vulkan, the horror. By the time Vulkan becomes a widely supported API nvidia will make up for it, if you think they'll just sit on their asses and let AMD catch up and surpass them you're nuts.

7 years ago

1060 + a nice weekend trip for 200€.

7 years ago

Find a used GTX 980Ti, it will give you a better FPS/$$$ ratio.

7 years ago

Yeah, good choice! :D

7 years ago

That's a good alternative.

7 years ago*

+1

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

I'd go with this as well

7 years ago

isn't that getting a bit too close to what the PSU can handle?

7 years ago

nah, I am running a GTX970+i5 4670k on a 450W PSU, zero problems for about 10 months now. so a GTX 980Ti with a 530W PSU should not be a problem.

7 years ago

Thanks. I'm also running a 450W PSU and will be looking for a major system upgrade soon. Very helpful.

7 years ago

Remember it also depends on what brand of PSU you have and if you are planning to OC in the future

7 years ago

how does the w for the system and the brand relate though?

7 years ago

cause a well respected brand will not overinflate their wattage rating too much - but a lesser known brand might make one good power supply, get the rating for wattage, then farm out the manufacturing to a crap factory cheaply - and the actual end user power supplies are only 75% capable of reaching the wattage stated - trust me, been down that route :(

7 years ago

The power output would have lower efficiency

7 years ago

interesting
I got a 6600k which I'll eventually wanna overclock and 550w, though I also got like 5-6 HDDs

did you overclock the i5 and 970? I guess I should look up how much more power OCing eats...

7 years ago

I never tried overclocking to be honest my machine has been smashing every game I throw at it on 1080p , I never felt the need to overclock.

7 years ago

Best solution!

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

It's fast enough now, but when DX12 catches on it will be at a disadvantage.

Edit: Just noticed the PSU. 530W is too little for the 980 Ti.

7 years ago*

I think it won't be an issue as long as OP keeps everything at stock clocks. As for the "fast now, will be slow later" statement. That applies to every component ever made. A person should just aim for the best bang for buck at the moment as theoretically one would wait forever without getting any GPU. And it seems to me that OP needs something for 1440p and the GTX 980Ti is very enough for the task.

7 years ago

I'm using a 980 Ti at work with a 550W PSU. Worked fine until I did a minor change in the code, then PC restarts after a while. Tried FurMark, PC resets immediately. Pretty sure that's the PSU. Will know tomorrow, probably (when I expect to get a new PSU).

As for 'fast now, will be slower later', the Kepler GPU's dropped quickly in performance, and we know that Maxwell doesn't support async compute well. So we're not talking about some general slowdown. An RX 480 may be comparable to a 970 in DX11 but 980 in DX12, precisely because of this issue. When Async compute becomes expected (when most NVIDIA users switch to the Pascal architecture), Maxwell performance will drop considerably, as happened with Kepler.

That said, it highly depends on the price of the 980 Ti. For the price of an 1060 it's a good deal.

7 years ago

I see your point. As for Furmark, stop using it. It puts way too much stress on the die and it is unnecessary for benchmarking. Try using Heaven or 3Dmark for benchmarks. I even heard horror stories of FurMark killing GPU's

7 years ago

I see FurMark as a stress test, not a benchmark. I used Furmark precisely for stressing the GPU (and in turn the PSU), just to make sure that it's not something specific to my code that causes the PC to reset. And if FurMark kills a GPU, that's certainly a problem with the GPU, not with FurMark.

7 years ago

+1 - if the card cannot handle stress then it deserves to be returned

7 years ago

"530W is too little for the 980 Ti."

no its not. Not even close to that. Stop spreading misinformation, even a good 480W one would be fine and basically, everything past that is just over the top unless you go SLI.

7 years ago

I gave my real world proof above. It's likely that the BeQuiet PSU the OP has is higher quality, and it might work, but it's a risk. Tom Hardware's review of the 980 Ti showed that it was capable of momentary surges of significantly over 400W, and that's quite a bit.

7 years ago

You are still wrong, by quite a bit. Any quality 480W PSU is still just fine. You're either ignorant or just plain stupid.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/L/C/498432/gallery/32-Gaming-Overview_w_600.png

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago*

NVIDIA recommends 600W.

7 years ago

They cover their own asses. There are no single-chip consumer GPUs that won't run comfortably on a 500W good-tier PSU. Maybe some of the previous-line AMDs, although the Fury was supposed to have lower requirements I think.

7 years ago

1060 is enough.

7 years ago

7 years ago

1060 sounds enough for you right now, but if you're planing on going to 1440p, then I'd go for the 1070, just to be future proof.

7 years ago

Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+9001 also not the normal Nitro, but the Nitro+ OC

7 years ago

R9 480, if the GTX 1070 is too expensive for you. So far it seems the 1060 won't be able to beat the 480 in performance (which would follow suit, as the 480 is the price mark where AMD usually beats NVidia).
If you don't plan to get a monitor over 1080p in the following years, the 4 GB model will be enough.

7 years ago

on average they seem quite even, one beats the other in some games and vice-versa

then there's power usage, VRAM and so on

7 years ago

Power usage favours NVidia (as usual) on paper. I reality they should be even with AMD's card needing more noisy cooling.
VRAM is either 4/8 GB or 6 GB… frankly, since these are for 1080p gaming, I think even 4 GB is plenty enough, since you cannot really need more for that amount of pixels.
In the end yet again it may come down to pure brand favouritism, and, well… I never really hid of what I think of NVidia's unethical and borderline illegal business practises.

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

Heard current games make use of 4GB so less is no go. You have about zero headroom as of now with some games already scraping at that border. I picked up that Doom likes to have alot of VRAM. 5GB? Might be some supercrazy settings though. Anyways if VR gaming is anything interesting you'd better stock up. Reports came in that in that games could make use upto 7GB in that regard. I'd play safe and go for 6 / 8GB especially if you plan to buy new stuff. (which kind of kills the last gen apart of a cheap 980TI and the 8GB variants of the 390(X))

7 years ago

It's often a question of how super crazy and unoptimised the textures are, because the rendered pixel amount is relatively low for 1080p compared to the other higher resolutions. There are still newish AAA FPSs out there that barely use 2 GB at 1080p.

7 years ago

Have you seen any benchmarks? Like at all? Because the 480 clearly sucks in more power, and it does so without even beating the 1060, overall 1060 had about 15% faster average performance.

7 years ago

I have seen, yes, but for the reference cards. Yes, 480 needs more power, and no, there is no 15% difference in average. It beats the GTX in some games, gets beaten in others. But since it beats the 1060 in Vulcan and DX12 games (especially in Vulkan, and by not a small margin), it means in the long run the AMD card will be the better horse to bet on.

7 years ago

In what, one game? By the time Vulkan (maybe) becomes relevant nvidia will have figured out something, they're not gonna sit around doing nothing about it. And I've seen almost 0 benchmarks in which 480 outperforms the 1060 except for Hitman which is AMD optimised and Doom on Vulkan. I'd take the better overall performance for now, not the maybe it will be better in a few years card, by that point you'll be looking to upgrade anyway.

7 years ago

Yes, NVidia bribes even more people to use GameWorks instead, not Vulkan, which is an API in theory they should easily integrate since they are part of the team that is developing it. Forcing GameWorks upon devs and crippling the competition has been their answer to all occurrences where AMD gained a foothold in the past years, so there is no incentive to stop using that tactic.

7 years ago

Regardless the level of truth in that it doesn't change the end result which is the 480 still not being the overall better card for the foreseeable future.

7 years ago

If you look at DX12 and Vulkan benchmarks, RX480 is kicking nvidia's ass pretty hard.

7 years ago

an RX480 custom board one is most price efficient, anything above 300 for a GPU I consider as way too much

7 years ago

1070 in a few months

7 years ago

That was the initial plan but my GPU died today, I don't have a few months

7 years ago

IMO you should get the 1070 anyways, it'll last you a lot longer than the other ones

7 years ago

Not necessarily, so far the 480 has been getting better results on vulkan/dx12 than the 1070 even, so that might be the better choice lifetime-wise

7 years ago

Really, the 480'll never keep up with the 1070

7 years ago

2 RX480 in crossfire will do and go even beyond a 1070 while being similiary priced ;)

7 years ago

Do you consider that he'd probably need a new PSU (making him waste even more money) and he'd have to deal with the hassle of crossfire and cards heating up?

7 years ago

A quality 530W PSU should be able to handle the load with some caution attached. We're speaking about 14nm class silicon here :)

While i have no deeper experience in the field i heavily assume that the load is not 100% perfect to both GPUs in typical gaming aside of evil scenarios like Furmark / else powerbugs. So the idea is not a CF should not consume 2x typical power of the single variant but should be rated at more likely around 170% power draw of a single card. I just around the load of a moderately overclocked 980TI's or a 390X level... around 260W total. If my judgment is right the PSU is able to fire those cards even if uncomfortable with the given system and so should do a twin of those new suckers too. Some caution should be taken and some gpu throttling sould be considered.

To clarify a bit: my 500W Enermax could handle a 220W GPU (even under furmark load) along with an ancient but heavily overclocked C2D running at 3.6GHz. I have good faith in that regard :)

7 years ago*

Yeah, NOPE, this could be changed in matter of months with software (drivers etc)... so we can't talk lifetime for such things. (BUT maybe AMD will increase too and beat but there isn't like 30fps change, perhaps <10 fps etc, think less)

7 years ago

Hence why I said so far... I don't see any reason why the amd cards should fall back though, and currently the difference between the 1060 and the 480 is about as big as you described anyway.

7 years ago

Personally I plan to purchase RX480 AiB card. Nvidia will nerf current drivers and 1070 (after 1-2 years) will struggle against RX 480 . Also every user must keep in mind that AMD controls console market + DX12/Vulkan (no more nvidia gameworks).

7 years ago

At 1080p, the GTX 1060 or RX480 would be enough. Getting a 2nd hand GTX 9series is also an option if you can see it at a price lower than an RX480. The money saved can be used to for 4K and VR gaming later when the tech from AMD, NVidia, dx12/Vulcan, and VR have matured

7 years ago*

Deleted

7 years ago

This comment was deleted 3 hours ago.

7 years ago

980 or 1060 IMO

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

The 1070 will drop in price when the new TitanX arrives. (which is announced to be next month) Buying now means taking a good worth loss. Only advised if money is disposable.

7 years ago

I think unless you want 60fps in every game something in line with the rx 480/r9 390/gtx 970

The 970 goes a good way in getting most games to 60fps. I have one myself and play most games on max settings with 40+ fps (I rarely look at the fps, so don't know the exact number). Honestly, if you don't want to do anything fancy with it, it's a good choice in my opinion.

7 years ago

If you have 144 Hz monitor, then even GTX 1080 isn't enough.

7 years ago

I don't

7 years ago

What is going to happen when they start releasing new 120hz 4K OLED monitors? Hopefully we will see some serious GPU performance increases. Dell was supposed to release the UP3017Q in March, but it got delayed. $5000 for now, but they will probably be more affordable in a couple years. 4K, 120hz, amazing contrast ratios not seen since crts, 0.1ms response time. I can't wait for OLED :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018710/hardware/dell-unveils-stunning-4k-oled-ultrasharp-display-and-declares-war-on-bezels.html

7 years ago

if you can get the Saphire RX480 Nitro+ it will give you GTX980 performance, the normal RX480 lacks a bit behind the normal GTX1060(5FPS at most), but it has better support of DX12 and Vulkan(in vulkan especially wins by a lot) for thinking about the future.

I say the RX480, should have no problems playing at max, 1440 30 and above, or 1080 60, i have a R7870 and i can get around 45FPS in GTA V at 1440p and around 55-60 at 1080p almost with everything on high very high.

7 years ago*

You're not the first one to mention that RX480 model but it looks like it's not available yet

7 years ago

it should be around in some stores, but i think its either in lower quantities atm or they are selling really well??

Heres a Review the normal RX480 its not too far behind, but at that price for the GTX1060 i would still pick the RX480, if you can get a cheaper GTX1060 then go for that one, in theory the Parthers ones, from EVGA, Asus. MSI, etc, should be selling for around 260$ or euros.

oh yeah forgot to mention, the RX480 does support crossfire, while the GTX1060 does not support SLi, and a crossfire of RX480s comfortably beats a single GTX1070, maybe if you can get another RX480 in the future once prices start to go down once the RX5?? cards are launched.

7 years ago*

The ones from EVGA is 285-300€, MSI 310-360€, and Asus 360-380€
Some articles say RX480 Nitro+ will be available end of the month for 279€.

7 years ago

ASUS cards are overpriced as hell. They sometimes have insane cooling, yes, but not that much better.

7 years ago

yeah but some stores are already selling them out, some people on the amd subreddit managed to grab some.

that EVGA GTX1060 price is not bad, the 1060 is better in DirectX11 games, so it playes better all the current stuff, but the RX480 has hardware support from some tech that will be used in DirectX12 and Vulkan and its also cheaper.

btw both get 60FPS gamming at 1080p easily so unless you have a 120/144Hz monitor or a 1440p/4k monitor, you wont really be able to tell any difference between the RX480 or GTX1060 performance.

Oh yeah also the stock cooler of the RX480 can be a bit noisy, so if silence is a big thing for you then that might help you strech out for that EVGA GTX1060 because the 1060 runs cooler, but idk, since every manufacturer has different cooling methods the GTX1060 noise went under the radar.

7 years ago*

RX480 has hardware support from some tech that will be used in DirectX12 and Vulkan and its also cheape

Is this really the case? I read reports that in terms of DirectX 12 support, the last generation of AMD cards were better than the last generation of Nvidia cards, but for the current generation, both are designed with DirectX 12 in mind, so they both take proper advantage of it. The comparisons I've seen between the two would also indicate that the 1060 out-performs the RX 480 in most Directx 12-supported games (but not all of them, Hitman being one of the big ones where the RX 480 shines).

7 years ago

in theory yes, its called Asynchronous Computing when used properly it does give a noticeable boost, unfortunately only AMD DX12 optimized games, like Hitman, or games that use Vulkan(DOOM) get an advantage from it. But there are rumors that AMD might include it on the Xbone Scorpio and PS4.5 "The One(as in Neo, get it? so clever)" so it might see a more widespread adoption in future games, especially if Vulkan becomes a thing. And like i said it does require hardware support that none of the current NVIDIA cards have.

7 years ago*

Can't think that Vulcan won't be the "next big thing" considering the level of support it receives. Win 7 / Win8 / Win10 / Linux / SteamOS / Android can run Vulcan games while Metal games are limited to MacOS / iOS and DX12 is limited to Win10. Seems a no-brainer for me.

iOS & MacOS missing but then again they don't support DX11/12 eigther.

7 years ago

NV has some lameass Async implementation which means only a moderate speedup. AMD has better Async support. Means more speed in lowlvl DX12/Vulcan Games.

I haven't dug into those benches yet but benchmark aggregator 3dcenter puts the RX480 at 550% (of their internal score rating) while the 1060 sits at 590%. This rating considers mainly DX11 benches pinning DX12/Vulcan performance is tricky as there are only a few games to work with as of now. But if this report is to be trusted then the RX480 gets a 6% boost vs the the 1060 in DX12/Vulcan games. (possibly more in other games / benches)

7 years ago*

It was the same thing with Mantle... "when Mantle comes"... in the end, the only Mantle game I got to play was Thief... great, it got to 250 fps -- but I only have a 60 fps monitor... yet I can't set a fps cap on mantle, which equals terrible heat and noise... and the same fps plunges got with DX11.

7 years ago

Well FPS is the currency of graphic cards don't you agree ;) If the driver can pump more of them out of the card then its mission is accomplished.

My suggestion: create a application profile for Thief and have the card downclocked / lower power limits to throttle the thermal output. I wouldn't mind 250 FPS btw ;))

But yeah the Radeon 7xxx / 2xx / 3xx had evil power suckage No fun at all if it runs on full steam.

EDIT:
To the original topic: given the superbroad target platforms of Vulcan and the need of low level APIs for getting the best out of the new generation of graphic cards and hardware support through AMD, Intel & NVidia i just can see budget games aiming to get (cheap & proven) DX11 support out of the pipeline. (or OpenGL ES 3 for current Androids)

Big budgetized game productions can aim to get a full DX11 (for Win7/Win8 users) and eigther or both DX12 / Vulcan support out. Users probably will demand high speed Vulcan support for their OS aside Win10 too but developers will have to target the XBone too (where MS will likely never support Vulcan but only DX12) so they probably need to do both. The PS4 might pick up Vulcan support (besides their original low lvl api) too but thats speculation from my side. Given software development usually goes cross-platform nowadays both Vulcan is a big thing as it virtually supports anything besides the Xbone and Macs. Time will tell its inception.

7 years ago*

No argument about the fps, but the spikes were still lower than I'd like -- in the 20's. If I were to underclock it, they would probably make the game unplayable. It's only a 280, and yes, heat was very much a problem, so much so I made a thread here about it... I partially "solved" it by switching to water cooling.

7 years ago

I had myselves a GTX470 running on water (On accelereo hybrid actually). I'm still astonished how good that did to the card's cooling & noise levels :) The card was originally a hot head similiary to AMDs past generations.

Does AMDs driver allow power throttling on the 280? Or even to set a lower temp target? My memory says that the cards had a temp target in their vbios but not sure if they opened that up via driver. Maybe mod bios'es?

7 years ago*

Mine's not a full water setup, it's just an old Antec 620 coupled with a Kraken G1. Buying a decent water cooler for a 280 would be... insane. They can easily reach over 1000 USD over here.

It does allow power throttling, not sure about setting temp targets. I know that can be edited in the BIOS, but my card has fixed voltages (Gigabyte was very frugal on this one), so I'm not sure it will work.

7 years ago

Ya i'm playing with the thought of getting a new gfx card myselves and i'm heading for the best value i can see. And this is obviously the RX480 for me. Their stock coolers have been characterized as pleasant but not silent. Replacing it via a AC mono as described here drops temperature and noise to silent and cool levels. And paving way to overclocking the card which unlocks its real potential which partner cards will unevitably exploit as well but i suspect they'll spoil the value rating i require :)

7 years ago*

IMO you should wait a little for those custom 1070 cards which will be cheaper and buy that. If you have to order by Monday like you said, go with the 1060. Both will last for a while as long you stick to 1080p.

7 years ago

The RX 480 is the weakest card, but it's also (supposedly) the cheapest (I say supposedly, because over here, it's not). If you're on a budget, then this does seem like a good card to go with. Just beware that it's a bit more power thirsty than then Nvidia cards, so make sure your PSU is strong enough (based on what you wrote above, I would say it is). The 1060 is the next step up, it's a bit more expensive than the RX 480, but also a bit more powerful. If you feel you can afford it, then this is the card I would recommend. The 1070 is a big step up in price, for a moderate step up in performance. If money is not a big issue, then this is a good card to go with. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but people with more money than me would disagree.

To me, the fight would be between the RX 480 and the 1060, both seem to be good cards for their price. Go with what you feel you can easily afford.

7 years ago*

7 years ago

Budget isn't really an issue but it might be unreasonable to get the 1070, I'm not sure I can justify the purchase.

7 years ago

If you think you can replace the card in 3-4 years easily, then you are right with that.

7 years ago

Keep in mind that the RX480 supports crossfire which allows to add in a secondary cards to "boost" your gpu power if you switch your monitor to beyond 1080p (VR?) or enough time has passed and games got more thirsty by then. Currently the AMD seems to handle anything thrown onto at full steam at FullHD.

Would work with your current PSU even if you'd constraint the power target of both cards to some sane value (like 120W max)

7 years ago*

Though single card -> SLI/Crossfire

7 years ago

Sure its effiency wise more interesting to run single. But its highly uneconomical to aim more than you need usually coinciding with the best there is. It usually costs a huge premium. Why aiming for more than the speed of a 980 (equating to a overclocked RX480) in FullHD if its "cheap" now. The idea is not to go CF instantenously but as a possible upgrade option. It works and cards should be even cheaper than now when the time is ripe for such a duo.

7 years ago

Eventhough that's kinda true not all games support Sli or/and Crossfire.

7 years ago

I don't know about you, but if I was kinda tight with money I wouldn't even consider 1070. If you are not willing to pay 500€ for a card, both 480 and 1060 are great.

It all comes down to what you want to spend. The pricing pretty much determines what the card's performance is (at least for cards of the same company). If you are looking to spend as little as possible, then 480 is the way to go. If you are willing to spend 40-50€ more to grab the 1060 you could do it, but I personally wouldn't bother to do so. I believe for 1080 gaming, 480 is enough.

Hope that we end up helping you instead of creating a bigger dilemma in your mind :D

7 years ago

I've got a 1070 strix and I love it :3
I'd pay a little more so you can enjoy the card a longer time. pay less = you'll need a new card sooner. (except the card decides to die earlier)

7 years ago

Yo, do you poop money ?

7 years ago

Do you shit posts or do you post shit ?

7 years ago

How the fuck do I upvote this?! I want it printed on my wall! died of laughter

7 years ago

Instant classic :)

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

Rofl

7 years ago

1070 is best low price :)

7 years ago

From what I've seen and been told the 480 are getting better performance in the new apis, meaning if this doesn't change (can't see why it would, but just saying) the 480 will last you longer, but if current games are what you're interested in, then the nvidia equivalents, 1060-1070, fare a bit better. (1070 by a bigger margin, but that margin is basically reduced to zero when testing with vulkan, I've even seen some where the 480 gets better fps, but still)

7 years ago

Best for the price is the GTX 1070, not as high as 1080 but better performance per €.

But if you want to spend less, a 1060 should be more than enough.

7 years ago

There was a 980TI deal priced at 350€ which was acceptable pricing wise for 1440p gaming. Thats the mark the 1070 fails to hit which seems to occupy the 500€ spot. If memory serves right they are both comparable performance wise.

7 years ago

Happy cake day!

7 years ago

GTX 1070 for sure :)

7 years ago

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html

i'd pick the GTX 1060 if the price were the same as the RX 480 also a bummer
minus 2GB ... that might not be useful now but likely soon enough
(textures need a lot of VRAM) still undecided ...

7 years ago

techpowerup reviews are nvidia biased. (check other benchmarks sites and compare results....)

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.