August 31, 2022 Update invalidates a lot of this original topic. New information.

Basic summary. Shutdown moved to October 1, 2022. DLC access not revoked but needs to be activated before October

Original topic and updates below:

These are older games but some are on sale right now, so some people may have picked them up for one reason or another. So if you're an achievement hunter**, you may want to get on them if they're DLC or multiplayer related. I can't offer any advice as I don't know the details of most of these games.

**These games don't have Steam achievements but may have them on other platforms you might own them like Ubisoft Connect or PS/Xbox.

Selective summary:

• Anno 2070
  • Assassin's Creed up to Liberation
  • Far Cry 3
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Full information

EDIT: Another SteamGifts thread has revealed at least two games will be inaccessible, but that statement was later retracted. However, that has no bearing on the decommissioning itself which is this thread and still occurring.

EDIT2: If you are in the EU or a country that has similar laws, perhaps you can make use of this example letter written by AmanoTC

1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

i think lawyers must do something with it and i think they can

also lets see what will happen if ubi close servers for any game that is on steam and we wont be alow to play anymore

1 year ago*

based on a previous commenter, this already happened to H.A.W.X. 2. Probably some others.

Now it's a subjective opinion, but I do believe the Assassin's Creed franchise is probably much bigger, so more people are likely to be affected by this. But someone with the resources to actually take them to court is still less likely to occur.

1 year ago

No please don't close anno 2205 ! 😨
i'm afraid now that i see them closing anno 2070 (2070 wasn't beautiful anyway)

1 year ago

I don't know much about the Anno series, much less 2205, but I see the release year was 2015, so you probably have until 2025.

But honestly, you might not have to worry as much as some other games, since the 2070 devs are actively trying to find a workaround, so if they succeed, maybe they'll be able to secure 2205 in a similar way.

1 year ago

Lol at the title of the article ! 2025, 3 more years would be already great thank you !

1 year ago

Devs FIGHT Back After Ubisoft KILL Their Old Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_sf_DdBUIQ

1 year ago

Yes, much respect to the Anno 2070 devs. Never heard of them but this can spread goodwill and attention to their team.

1 year ago

I guess there is no way to play online even if you host the server on your PC or smth like that ?

1 year ago

Not that I'm aware of. But sometimes clever users are able to hack solutions together and solve problems like these. But for now, the hope would be that the devs come up with another way, like the Anno devs are trying to do.

1 year ago

I don't think adding all the sp content to all affected games would take much effort or cost them much.

But to do that they would have to care about their customers.

1 year ago

i'm going to remove all ubisoft games from my wishlist because of this. why bother buying them when the dlc will stop working when they feel like it?
digital delivery and drm have their own intrinsecal issues, and to mitigate them it's required to build a long term relationship of trust between the publishers and the consumers, and ubisoft has shown to be unwilling to do that. they will easily be able to survive without my money anyway

1 year ago

For me, I just take it as a sign that even if I get it very cheap with plans to play it in the future, that's no longer the guarantee I thought it was. The DLC I grabbed recently isn't affected by this, but honestly it likely will in a few years, so now I have a time limit that I wasn't counting on.

1 year ago

If you are living in the EU, here is a webpage that lists the organization you can contact in your country to make your voice heard regarding this shameful behaviour:
https://www.beuc.eu/our-members

Please try to always contact the "Full member" of your country. I did so for Germany.

I sat down and wrote a complaint you can use and send to your member. I wrote it in my native language, translated it via DeepL and corrected some grammar mistakes.
If native english speakers want to make this complaint better, please add a comment and I will add in your improvements to the model text.

If possible, change the model text a little bit so that it sounds more like you to show the different members that we are many and not only a few.
Thank you.

Edit: Apparently paragraphs get lost when quoting such a long text :-/ So here is the non-quoted model text:

Dear Sir or Madam,
with this letter I would like to draw your attention to an - in my eyes - outrageous process: The French public limited company "Ubisoft Entertainment SA" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft) will remove digitally purchased content from the possession of all buyers worldwide, i.e. also here in Europe, as of September 1st 2022.

Buyers who have purchased this software for real money will no longer have access to their belongings from 01.09.2022 and will no longer be able to use it.
For information about the process on the part of Ubisoft, please follow this link: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/gameplay/article/decommissioning-of-online-services-september-2022/000102396

This process can - again, in my eyes - never go hand in hand with European consumer rights and therefore I turn to you with the request to protect the rights of European consumers and to protect them from having belongings taken away from them just like that. Even if the belongings are digital instead of physical. There should be no distinction between analogue (i.e. physical) and digital possessions, because digital possessions will continue to increase in our already digital world - even more so in the digital future.

I will give you more detailed information on Ubisoft's above-mentioned, outrageous action in the following paragraphs.

Computer games today are largely distributed digitally. Even the game packages in a department store (Media Markt, Saturn etc.) no longer contain physical discs (DVD, Blu-Ray), but only a piece of paper with an access code - a so-called "key" - which then has to be entered in a software, a so-called "game client". By means of this "key", the game is bound within the "game client" to a "user account" that is personally registered in the name and address of the purchaser.

A "game client" thus manages the digital games in the personal possession of a person. "Game clients" can be manufacturer-independent (e.g. the client "Steam" of the American "Valve Corporation") or manufacturer-dependent. For example, the above-mentioned public limited company "Ubisoft Entertainment SA" distributes its own "game client" called "Ubisoft Connect", which is absolutely necessary in order to be able to play the digital games of "Ubisoft Entertainment SA" in one's own personal possession on a computer.
(Note: The whole thing sounds rather complicated to persons not familiar with the subject)

Computer games today are produced in such a way that there is a so-called "base game" to which expansions can be purchased. More extensive expansions are called "addons", smaller expansions "downloadable content", or "DLC", for short.
Buyers pay double or triple if they want to own the whole game: Once for the basic version, then additionally for "addons" and/or "DLCs".

According to the Ubisoft webpage linked above, Ubisoft will deactivate "DLCs" for some games from 01.09.2022.
In concrete terms, this means that buyers of these "DLCs" will no longer be able to download and install them. Even worse, Ubisoft will actually disable these "DLCs" from 01.09.2022 as well. This means that even "DLCs" that have already been downloaded from the internet and installed - i.e. are on buyers' computers as digital files - can no longer be used. Buyers who have bought and own these "DLCs" for real money will no longer be able to access their purchases/ownership from 01.09.2022 and will lose all access to them.

Transferred to the analogue world, this would mean that you buy a car, for example, and equip it with many extras such as air conditioning, trailer coupling, sports seats or the like, and on 01.09.2022 the manufacturer of the car comes to your yard, removes all these extras and takes them with him, leaving you with the basic version of the car without even a cent of compensation.
In the case outlined here, this means without seats, so that you can no longer use the car at all.

Unimaginable in the analogue world, because the consumer outcry would be so massive that no company would even dare to consider such things.

How can it be that such a procedure is allowed in the digital world? Here, too, a trade "money for goods" has taken place via a purchase contract. Only difference is, here the goods are only available digitally.
However, this does not change the fact that according to EU law, software becomes the property of the buyer after purchase. The buyer has an unlimited right of use and access to the software. A computer game is nothing other than software, whether in the basic version or extended by add-ons such as "DLCs".

Following this logic, the action of "Ubisoft Entertainment SA" is therefore in no way compatible with applicable EU law. This means that making the purchased "DLCs" inaccessible from 01.09.2022 would be nothing other than theft, thus illegal and would result in a severe fine, as this theft happens en masse and worldwide.

I urge you to stand up for the digital rights of us consumers. Computer games are a cultural asset and now turn over higher amounts per year than the music and film industries combined. Please take the rights of computer gamers seriously and support us consumers even when it is "only" about games.

Please do everything in your power to persuade or even force "Ubisoft Entertainment SA" to abandon its plan and provide buyers with full, unlimited access to purchased games even after 1 September 2022: Whether in the basic version or extended by "addons" or "DLCs".

Thank you.

1 year ago*

Seems well worded. I'd consider seeing if you could post this on other platforms like Steam itself, reddit, or similar things for more visibility so it doesn't just die in this thread. But I have added a link to your comment here in the OP in hopes that helps visibility.

1 year ago

The lesson is either

• Never buy DLC
  • Never buy from Ubi. It's not the first time they make decision where they don;t p[lace the customer first.
1 year ago

While your information is nice, it is more relevant to the second thread linked in the opening.

My thread is about the decommissioning in general which is still happening unchanged and as per the very article you shared "only DLCs and online features will be affected by the upcoming decommissioning". Said DLC can include single player content. One might hope that "access its single-player, offline components after that date" would include single player DLC. But given the situation that occurred with Might & Magic X and H.A.W.X. 2 I would not be so quick to trust that single player DLC will survive. The Might & Magic X one did have a happy ending, it was fixed 4 months later.

But it is my opinion that unless things change like they did for that game, these games will also have inaccessible single player DLC.

However, I can admit to my own user error, I forgot to fix the linked thread to reflect the updated information. But it has now been adjusted with a note about the change :)

1 year ago*

This changes made me prioritize Far Cry 3 & Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon this weeks. I've never played Far Cry 3 before, but it was on my radar for a while now. I'm in it 20 hours already and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

1 year ago

Good choice, after playing these games you*ll have experienced Ubisoft's formula. I found 21Kiloton's reviews quite refreshing:
Far Cry New Dawn | A Pox Upon Ubisofts' House
Far Cry 5 Review | 21Kiloton
Far Cry 6 Review | It Should Never Have Been Made

1 year ago

I've heard that Far Cry 3 is the best of the series, but I've heard other people liking others as well. It really goes down to preferences really. I believe what really makes Far Cry 3 great is that the map has a nice blend of big map, with fun stuff to do. I can already tell where this is going, but somewhat I enjoy Far Cry 3.

1 year ago

If I make a little comparison about 2, 3 and 4,

Story-wise, they all have better and worse parts than each-other. While FC2 has the most mediocre story, it is the most believable one, if you're going for authenticity. I really hated the psychedelic parts in FC3 and FC4.

Gameplay-wise FC4 is definitely the best out of these three, Ubisoft really improved it every time. However, FC2 has the most sandbox feel out of these and you cannot fast travel as you wish. But I think FC3 has the best map overall. Stealth feel is the best in FC2 like there are several assassination missions available but the feasibility of it is the best in FC4 like you can actually carry corpses which other 2 lack. In FC2 you have the map at front while you unlock it via towers in FC3 and FC4 but you must scout in FC2 to see what kind of bases are there.

Physics-wise, it goes worse everytime, so it's like FC2 > FC3 > FC4 > FC5. There was a video comparison about FC2 vs FC5 about physics.

Gunplay-wise, they all kinda similar though many people didn't like the jamming guns in FC2. I think that was a nice aspect if it didn't happen so often. Also FC2 has the infamous malaria that can happen in a middle of a gunfight.

I really like base capturing system in FC games, which FC2 lacks and it's annoying to see spawning new enemies on the base you just capture after you left. Base capturing feel is the best in FC3, and it felt like separate mini-games in FC4.

Diamond search in FC2 was a nice little mini-game which it's streamlined in subsequent games in the series.

So, enjoyability is similar in both FC3 and FC4, you might like 3 more depends on the setup. But if you are seeking an authentic setup, it's definitely FC2, if you also enjoy a little suffering.

Overall, my personal choice is FC2 here but they all are enjoyable games.

1 year ago

Story-wise, they all have better and worse parts than each-other. While FC2 has the most mediocre story, it is the most believable one, if you're going for authenticity. I really hated the psychedelic parts in FC3 and FC4.

I can totally agree with that. It does feel more authentic and plausible.

Gameplay-wise FC4 is definitely the best out of these three, Ubisoft really improved it every time. However, FC2 has the most sandbox feel out of these and you cannot fast travel as you wish. But I think FC3 has the best map overall. Stealth feel is the best in FC2 like there are several assassination missions available but the feasibility of it is the best in FC4 like you can actually carry corpses which other 2 lack. In FC2 you have the map at front while you unlock it via towers in FC3 and FC4 but you must scout in FC2 to see what kind of bases are there.

FC3 has the introduction of carrying corpses. Once you killed them with an takedown, you can basically drag them somewhere out of view. Maybe it's more improved on the 4th one, but it's there.

Physics-wise, it goes worse everytime, so it's like FC2 > FC3 > FC4 > FC5. There was a video comparison about FC2 vs FC5 about physics.

I can see the fire physics as being the number one issue that some players have. Now if you mean something else, I do have to check.

Gunplay-wise, they all kinda similar though many people didn't like the jamming guns in FC2. I think that was a nice aspect if it didn't happen so often. Also FC2 has the infamous malaria that can happen in a middle of a gunfight.

Oh yeah, FC2 had a sense of realism and difficulty. My concerns and issues with that game was the amount of combat you'd run to from area to area. You'd clear a zone and you'd be forced to deal with them again later, upon return. It's something that I've not noticed in FC3 so, from there I can expect some sort of improvements on that aspect. Gunplay feels a lot more fluent on FC3.

I really like base capturing system in FC games, which FC2 lacks and it's annoying to see spawning new enemies on the base you just capture after you left. Base capturing feel is the best in FC3, and it felt like separate mini-games in FC4.

True, but FC3 doesn't offer a very difficult time when it comes to capturing. There's a few enemies and if you play stealthy you can clear it in few seconds. I mean, I've sniped with a silencer 2 guys that say next to each other. Very cool concept at the time.

So, enjoyability is similar in both FC3 and FC4, you might like 3 more depends on the setup. But if you are seeking an authentic setup, it's definitely FC2, if you also enjoy a little suffering.

I've only played FC1 & 2 until this nonsense update from Ubisoft. FC3 was next on my list. I've always started a series or franchise of games from first to last to see the evolution. I like it so far. FC2 didn't hit me so well in some areas. Story was very boring and poorly acted from my point of view. I found little sentimental value to carry on, but it was a significant improvement from the first Far Cry.

Overall, my personal choice is FC2 here but they all are enjoyable games.

I've not yet been able to determine which is the one. So far, I favor FC3. But I've yet to discover the rest of the series. I definitely think FC2 has something that the rest of FC series should contain that you mentioned above.

1 year ago

I didn't include FC1 here because I played it more than 15 years ago and didn't play again like the others, so I don't remember it well enough to make a comparison. Though I remember the very first time I played FC2 and thought they improved so many things comparing to the first game.

FC3 has the introduction of carrying corpses. Once you killed them with an takedown, you can basically drag them somewhere out of view. Maybe it's more improved on the 4th one, but it's there.

Yeah, once you dropped the corpse you cannot carry again so it might cause unwanted accidents at some points. However you can carry any corpses (at least the ones you have killed) on FC4. I wish it was like this in FC3 too.

I can see the fire physics as being the number one issue that some players have. Now if you mean something else, I do have to check.

You can check this, I think it was this video.

You'd clear a zone and you'd be forced to deal with them again later, upon return. It's something that I've not noticed in FC3 so, from there I can expect some sort of improvements on that aspect. Gunplay feels a lot more fluent on FC3.

Yeah, in FC3 once you capture a base it's yours and that makes it kinda boring. They improved this in FC4 too, the enemy can capture bases again or you can join to fight to make sure they don't capture it.

FC3 doesn't offer a very difficult time when it comes to capturing. There's a few enemies and if you play stealthy you can clear it in few seconds. I mean, I've sniped with a silencer 2 guys that say next to each other. Very cool concept at the time.

Actually I can say the base capturing in the second island is more difficult, BUT since you already have overpowered weapons it isn't hard as you expected, so yeah.

I've only played FC1 & 2 until this nonsense update from Ubisoft. FC3 was next on my list. I've always started a series or franchise of games from first to last to see the evolution. I like it so far. FC2 didn't hit me so well in some areas. Story was very boring and poorly acted from my point of view. I found little sentimental value to carry on, but it was a significant improvement from the first Far Cry.

Yeah, thinking about being forced to play a game in certain time sucks (same thing for all subscriptions), and thinking about people who pirated the game can play DLCs but people who bought it cannot is worse. Well, at least, I hope people noticed that DRM is bad.

I definitely think FC2 has something that the rest of FC series should contain that you mentioned above.

I agree, it definitely lacks many things and you cannot get satisfied with it no matter how long you play but it gives a unique feel that others cannot give.

1 year ago*

You can check this, I think it was this video.

Oh yeah, I can see the difference already in just the few seconds. As I watched more my jaw dropped because I've not paid attention to those subtle details. 😮 I wonder why they reduced those details. Maybe make it harder?

Actually I can say the base capturing in the second island is more difficult, BUT since you already have overpowered weapons it isn't hard as you expected, so yeah.

I'm not sure if I do, but I do have a bunch of weapons that with a clear headshot it's a secure insta-kill.

Yeah, thinking about being forced to play a game in certain time sucks (same thing for all subscriptions), and thinking about people who pirated the game can play DLCs but people who bought it cannot is worse. Well, at least, I hope people noticed that DRM is bad.

Always has been, but people love Steam and other platforms and we can't get enough of that. If only Steam had a non-DRM approach.

I agree, it definitely lacks many things and you cannot get satisfied with it no matter how long you play but it gives a unique feel that others cannot give.

Since I've not got too far in the franchise and after showing me that video I will have a harder time appreciating the details of the games that come after. I do hope I'll enjoy the rest of it. I have next Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon. I hope that one is as good as Far Cry 3.

1 year ago

Oh yeah, I can see the difference already in just the few seconds. As I watched more my jaw dropped because I've not paid attention to those subtle details. 😮 I wonder why they reduced those details. Maybe make it harder?

Could be a design choice, if those might cause some unnecessary bugs they would most likely avoid that. Or they might want to use the manpower on some another aspects instead of physics. Though I really like realism parts of Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3 & 4 feel more arcade-y.

If only Steam had a non-DRM approach.

Actually Valve don't force anyone to use DRM, even Steam's DRM. They just don't have anything against DRM. There are a lot of DRM-free games on Steam.

Since I've not got too far in the franchise and after showing me that video I will have a harder time appreciating the details of the games that come after. I do hope I'll enjoy the rest of it. I have next Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon. I hope that one is as good as Far Cry 3.

Well, they're definitely a downgrade but every FC game has its own things, maybe that isn't so bad overall since the games after FC2 feel more arcade-y already so lack of physics doesn't attract attention at first. For Blood Dragon, I think they tried to make a game that looks like older shooters but personally I don't like laser age dinosaurs thing so I didn't even finish it.

1 year ago

Could be a design choice, if those might cause some unnecessary bugs they would most likely avoid that. Or they might want to use the manpower on some another aspects instead of physics. Though I really like realism parts of Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3 & 4 feel more arcade-y.

It's also possible that they have not had that much time to implement them at the time, since Far Cry's had less time to add such details. It's possible that they used a different engine and that require more work too. 🤔

Actually Valve don't force anyone to use DRM, even Steam's DRM. They just don't have anything against DRM. There are a lot of DRM-free games on Steam.

Oh I see, thanks for sharing that. You're filling me with lots of useful information. 😄

Well, they're definitely a downgrade but every FC game has its own things, maybe that isn't so bad overall since the games after FC2 feel more arcade-y already so lack of physics doesn't attract attention at first. For Blood Dragon, I think they tried to make a game that looks like older shooters but personally I don't like laser age dinosaurs thing so I didn't even finish it.

It remains to be seen. I'm hoping it's possibly a similar experience with Cyberpunk as feel. Although they are both different by timeline.

1 year ago

They were using Dunia Engine though I have no idea what are they using nowadays. Even it still has the same name, it's most likely a much more different engine by now. I don't know if they kept physics capabilities of the engine.

Oh I see, thanks for sharing that. You're filling me with lots of useful information. 😄

No problem. :)

It remains to be seen. I'm hoping it's possibly a similar experience with Cyberpunk as feel. Although they are both different by timeline.

Haven't played Cyberpunk yet but Blood Dragon's gun-play feels much more arcade than regular Far Cry 3. That's the point I guess.

1 year ago

I gotta try and see. I like the series, although it's not my favorite single-player shooter franchise yet, it's definitely up there.

1 year ago

Honestly, it's not the worst thing for this to have given you incentive to play those games form your backlog. So keep enjoying those games!

1 year ago

Yeah. I know the co-op will be affected by it. I might even go solo to do them if they contain parts of story that may be cool.

1 year ago

Just make sure if you have any DLC missions to do them as well, solo or not. It's not guaranteed to work after September.

1 year ago

To be honest, I can't seem to be able to find if Far Cry 3 has any DLC's. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

1 year ago

It's basically whether you have "Deluxe" or not as far as I'm aware.

1 year ago

I can't tell you if I did have it or not. 😅

1 year ago

Also dlc activation is broken
I had to input manual my steam key inside far cry 3 after startup.(menu options and then exclusive content)
Only after I did that I saw the monkey missions in the map (you need to activate the first tower first)

1 year ago

I'm quite in the game. I do see a weird looking icon on the map. I'm not sure if that's part of it. 😅

1 year ago

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkd0V-G2IjI

on the map you see a monkey head where those missions are

1 year ago

Oh no, I don't see it anywhere. I don't know if it's totally worth bothering paying for the Deluxe at this point.

1 year ago

offcourse not worth it because Ubisoft takes it away at 1 september

But as I said even if you already bought it it will not work untill you activate the key in the game itself
So Ubisoft already screwed up the actvation process

1 year ago

I feel sorry for people who got screwed over DLC's.

View attached image.
1 year ago

Update

I've copied and pasted everything including the links to the article below.
https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-pauses-decommissioning-of-old-games-reverses-course-on-dlc-deactivation/

Ubisoft's shambolic "decommissioning" of more than a dozen older games took an unexpected turn today with a surprise announcement that the process—well, most of it—has been delayed to give people one final chance to snag the content that's going away.

The whole thing began in early July when Ubisoft announced that the online features of some older games—including one-time biggies like Far Cry 3, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and a bunch of Assassin's Creeds—were being shut down, so Ubisoft could "focus [its] resources on delivering great experiences for players who are playing newer or more popular titles."

Reasonable enough, I suppose, except that the shutdown meant the loss of access to DLC for the impacted games. There was also an implication that at least two of the games on the chopping block—Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD and Silent Hunter 5—would be rendered unplayable even for current owners, although Ubisoft quickly clarified that this would not be the case.

Adding fuel to the fires of confusion, Ubisoft Mainz basically said "nope" and went to work upgrading Anno 2070's online services infrastructure so people could keep on playing even after Ubisoft pulled the plug.

It was not the smoothest road to shutdown ever, in other words, and today Ubisoft acknowledged the botch with word that it's putting the planned closures on hold for a month.

"Decommissioning online services for older games is something we don't take lightly, but it's also a necessity as the technology that drove those services becomes obsolete," Ubisoft said. "We want our players to enjoy optimal gameplay experiences without things breaking, potentially subjecting players to crashes and security breaches. At the same time, we want to make this process as seamless as possible for our players. Over the last month, our teams have been hard at work exploring what is possible to reduce disruption."

So here's what's happening now: The decommissioning has been moved from September 1 to October 1, and until that date any singleplayer DLC for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3, and Splinter Cell Blacklist will be available to download and keep: As long as you activate it before October 1, you can continue to access and play the add-on content without interruption. Singleplayer DLC on console versions of those games won't be impacted, and will continue to be available to access and play past the October 1 deadline.

Ubisoft also confirmed that Anno 2070 will be getting an update that will enable the game to operate, in single or multiplayer mode, beyond the shutdown date.

"In fact, your experience should even be a bit smoother now than before," the Anno 2070 team said in a separate post. "We ported the game to 64-bit, which enables the game to address all your PC’s memory. Additionally, the new online services should make for a nicer matchmaking experience. And you can still use the in-game friends list to set up matches."

The only game that will go down on September 1 as originally scheduled is the multiplayer-only Space Junkies, which will be shuttered on schedule, and will no longer be accessible at all.

Letting players retain DLC access is a smart move by Ubisoft, but frankly it's baffling that it had to blunder around so much before reaching this point. Did nobody foresee the backlash to the initial "we're taking your stuff away" announcement? And given that Ubisoft was able to change course in this relatively short span of time, why didn't it just go straight to that rather than annoying (and confusing) everyone first? Better late than never, but even better than that is to avoid tripping over your own feet in the first place.

The updated breakdown of all games impacted by the closure, and what exactly they're going to lose, is up at ubisoft.com

1 year ago*

Thanks for the sums up of latest news.

It seems people pushing them worked after all. I wonder what were they thinking with revoking access to the DLCs in the first place. It surely wasn't a mistake, they were committed to do that. Best I can think good about them is they were being lazy, with all my Pollyanna thoughts. Even though now they won't revoke access, they will still decommissioning the sale of the DLCs as I understand. If they fixed the DLC authenticating over server issue (which they didn't mention this ), why would they stop selling DLCs? This seems somewhat fishy to me.

1 year ago

Glad for the update. This is the kind of information they should have put out initially. I do still have some concerns over their definition of "activate", but I'm going to believe that that just simply meant adding it to your library in the first place.

1 year ago

Not sure I understand this right, so if I download the game before the deadline, do I keep the DLC?

1 year ago

According to the update, yeah just activating it should be enough. You may not even need to download it, but if you have the time and space, I'd consider it just to make sure there is no uncertainty.

1 year ago

I guess I have to download it to be safe then.

1 year ago

I'm not sure that's right:

we moved the decommission date from 1 September 2022 to 1 October 2022, and the single-player downloadable content (DLC) of several games on PC – Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, Assassin’s Creed III (2012 release), Far Cry 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist – will be available to download and keep before that date.

It says you'll be able to download it and keep it before 1 October. That seems to imply it won't be possible to download the DLC's after that date. You'll be able to play them if you have them installed and activated. But once you delete them, or move to a new PC, they're gone forever because it won't be possible to redownload (or reactivate in case you get a new PC) them.

That's my understanding of their wording.

1 year ago*

In my reply on a separate comment to "FateOfOne", I also placed concerns on their usage of "activate". But I'm trying to be hopeful that they just mean "account binding". Or that they'll be even clearer in another update to this topic haha..

But that's why I encourage someone on the fence to go ahead and download it. I actually kind of believe the activation is more on a "per save file" kind of scenario, so if the game has cloud sync, it should persist. Redownloading in a case like that should actually not be a problem since some of these games, maybe all of them, appear to have the DLC included in the initial install. It was just the authentication that stops you from accessing them.

1 year ago

I guess its too much sense to make the DLCs available to everyone with the base game.

1 year ago

It would be rather nice, but after the mess of the original announcement, I'm glad to know there will not be a need to wonder if the single player DLC/ULC was taken away. And hopefully they will keep this policy moving forward.

1 year ago

Sorry for waking up this old(...?) thread, but I was curious of 'activation' so I asked through Ubi Support. The answer I got is - "If you could download & play the games before Oct 1st, you can continue playing them as long as you don't uninstall them."
Seems like either we keep those game files, or lose the access to those DLCs once we remove them. Also had asked if it would work, if I backup the DLC files and download the base game, and then manually add those files into the installed folder. Didn't get the clear answer for this question as either "Yes" or "No', but it seems we wouldn't be able to do so.

1 year ago

While not uninstalling them might work, that's not what the "activation" part was about.

When browsing your Ubisoft library, in the details of each game you can reveal a key.

For some of the older games you needed to copy that key and enter it ingame in an "Extras" or "DLC" menu to activate any extra DLC like Deluxe Edition stuff and so on.

This needed a one time online check hence why it isn't possible anymore after the servers have been taken offline. If activated like that before October, it should be possible to still uninstall and reinstall the respective games including DLC.

1 year ago

As I saw some users saying they had downloaded the games just in case, I thought my update would be useful.
From the links you provided, I confirmed the key for my AC Brotherhood Deluxe Edition, tried to activate it in-game but says it's invalid. I believe that's because I already had 'activated' it through purchasing the game on Ubisoft Store.
For Far Cry 3 Deluxe Edition I don't see such a thing like 'key', so I think I should have access to the relevant DLCs.

1 year ago

It is past October 1st. The servers are down. You can't activate keys ingame anymore in the affected games. I believe in Far Cry 3 the according menu is named "Exclusive Content" but again: for the games mentioned in the article you can't activate anything anymore now. Either you did it before yesterday or you're out of luck.

1 year ago

I had downloaded those games before Oct 1st but didn't activate any keys ingame. Thought it was just sufficient, as I had purchased those and downloaded before the deadline. If I'm too late then there's nothing I can do. Thx for the explanation.

1 year ago

Interestingly enough I could just connect to a multiplayer lobby in FC3 so maybe the servers aren't all down yet.

1 year ago

Different servers. The "DLC and ULC key Checker and Activation server" (God, I hate Ubisoft) should be down since October 1st and is a different server from the Multiplayer server (which for some games could/should also be down since October 1st).

1 year ago

I can't be bugged to check everything but I downloaded AC Brotherhood to see. A game I played and activated years ago on another computer. My save file isn't there but that's irrelevant for these purposes. It just means I am limited in my ability to check the other ULC without playing it.

BUT one of them was "Unlock the Hellequin" and I appeared to have access to that in a practice introductory session (multiplayer). So perhaps it is a confirmation that they kept their word on retaining access to anyone who unlocked it previously.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.