In case you weren't aware, Microsoft officially ends support for Windows 7 today. What does that mean for you if you choose to use this operating system still?

Your PC will still work but it becomes very vulnerable to security risks, viruses and other threats as you will no longer be receiving any security updates or fixes for Windows 7. You will also not get software updates or technical support for any issues from Microsoft. As time goes on you'll start noticing a decline on the overall performance and installed programs may start to have issues.

How To Get Windows 10 For Free

For those with Windows 7(licensed) currently, you can get Windows 10 for free still. If you have Windows 7 Home you will be able to get Windows 10 Home and if you have Windows 7 Pro you will be able to get Windows 10 Pro. The upgrade normally takes about 30 minutes to an hour to complete.

• Just head to the official Microsoft page to download Windows 10 here.

• Under the "Create Windows 10 installation media section" select "Download Tool Now" and then run the app.

• Then chose "Upgrade PC Now" and hit "Next" at the bottom.

• It will ask you whether you want to keep your personal files or start fresh. Just so you are aware that either choice means your apps and settings will be deleted for the Windows 10 upgrade.

• Once the upgrade is compete you should receive your license for Windows 10 which will be found under "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Activation".

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

If people actually cared about security they'd use Linux.
(I'll be staying on Windows 7 until my next major hardware upgrade.)

4 years ago

My remaining Win 7 box is currently being used as my Plex server. I don't use it to browse online with so I'm just going to leave it on 7, it doesn't need all the newer background shit 10 likes to run, I need those cycles to transcode my videos.

4 years ago

It's sad that they abandoned the actually good versions of Win (XP and now 7), just so people are forced to use the inferior Win 10 :/
Like many others, I'll stick with Win7 as long as it's working, but it's pissing me off.

4 years ago

+1

4 years ago

good riddance, just like windows xp and vista.

4 years ago

Upgrade to windows 10 is a downgrade from windows 7, seriously.

4 years ago

^ and they steal shit tons of info from you to do what they want with

4 years ago

I figured I would throw my personal experience out here. I was someone that was using Windows 7 for a long time and I really liked the OS. I had no real complaints about it and I really didn't want to switch to Windows 10. I knew that Windows 7 extended support would be coming to an end in a few years so over time I started to consider switching and finally I did. It was extremely easy to upgrade and if I'm not mistaken I've dealt with less issues on Windows 10 than I did in Windows 7. One thing I really like when I switched was how much faster rebooting was vs Windows 7. A few things I think are great on Windows 10 is it has DX12 support, much better task manager, Virtual Desktops, Office 2019, much better security features, the startup menu and apps. There's other smaller differences I like better as well one being the notification window. Not to mention it gets updates and support still. Even though I originally didn't want to switch I'm glad I did, as I like Windows 10 even more than I liked Windows 7.

4 years ago*

I have them both and prefer Win7 over Win10 anyday. I'm sorry to tell you this but DX12 is a joke and security? lol I haven't used microsoft update in 2 years. But of course I have an antivirus and that's what everyone needs. Ever since I started using Win10 Only had problems after problems Like what? you may ask Win 10 corrupted 3 of my HDD then it could fix it. Funny thing I had to go back to Win 7 to be able to fix them and still couldn't recover all my files, so believe me when I tell you Win10 is trash, ah If you do some research on youtube you will see thousands of videos about Win10 damaged their computer. And that feeling OMG! Win10 feels like your dad is spying on you while browsing the internet.

4 years ago

You're more than welcome to your opinion. You clearly had a bad experience 3 times which is obviously why you dislike it so much, that sucks for you. Guess the best option for you is sticking to Windows 7. My experience however is something totally different and I like the OS as I mentioned above. Best of luck to you with Windows 7.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

You may have some of this stuff back in the original upgrade period to try to stop windows 10 from installing itself. I had to undo the "AllowOSUpgrade" one.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

I'm still running Win 7 on my pc, and Win 10 on my laptop and let me tell you, I hate using said laptop. I just think this whole app bullshit is annoying af. I also am very mad that Win 10 doesn't come with a windows media player. Sure that's an easy fix by downloading the VLC media player (which I like way less) but like, come the fuck on. It's just such a hassle. Why change things up so much.
Yes, I truly do hate change a lot.

4 years ago

I've still used Windows Media Player for a couple of years after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There were however a few things which always annoyed me in it (eg. how annoying it was to try to change the album cover, how it had a bunch of buttons and sections I never needed to use and couldn't hide them). I started googling around in search of a more modern replacement, went trough some rankings, downloaded a few different players, but couldn't find anything that would satisfy me. Then one day I've tried to give a chance to Windows 10's default music player (Groove) and I had soon figured out that it actually borrows quite a lot of good things from the Windows Media Player, but fixes practically all of the issues I had with the former app, while also adding some features I didn't know I needed (eg. dark mode, popup on the lockscreen which let's you pause the music after you do Win+L). If you haven't yet, I recommend trying to give it a chance for at least a couple of days.

4 years ago

I don't even care about music tbh, I solely use it to watch videos / dvds, and for that there's kinda nothing to replace the media player. or I'm just blind and didn't find anything, could also be the case

4 years ago

No, no, no, it's just me. I don't care about movies / dvds and I forgot that Windows Media Player can be used for something else than music xD

4 years ago

Kinda weird yet interesting how the same software can be used so entirely differently by different people :D

4 years ago

Thanks, you got be all excited but nope. All I need the player for is DVD support, and:

It’s also worth noting that while DVD support has been taken away (...)

4 years ago

I recently upgraded my sister's SSD and was tempted to upgrade from 7 to 10, then remembered that the PC had an nForce motherboard that I gave her, and all the trouble that motherboard gave me trying to upgrade to 10 when it was in my own PC, so gave up on that.

4 years ago

I have a nForce motherboard too and when i upgraded to win 10 years ago i was seeing a lot of blue screen errors on Windows so give up and went to Windows 7 again with no issues so i will stay on it until i decide to change my PC.

4 years ago

I upgrade twice, first as is, which I ended up reverting and which made the reverted Windows 7 installation not work well either. I think that networking didn't work and other things. Then I tried again again after I found a custom nForce driver, which helped a lot, but far as I remember still wasn't completely stable. Just too old an unsupported. NVIDIA certainly has no interest in supporting AMD stuff.

4 years ago

I just had a notification of some news about a recent bug of w7: apparently it happens that you cannot shut down because you don't have enough privileges. link

4 years ago*

Closed 1 year ago by FateOfOne.