Source
Microsofts press release

Microsoft announced Tuesday it will buy video game giant Activision Blizzard in a $68.7 billion all-cash deal.

Shares of Activision soared about 37% in pre-market trading before being halted after the Wall Street Journal first reported the deal.

Microsoft shares fell more than 2% following the announcement

Activision, which is known for popular games such as Call of Duty and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater, has been mired in controversy for the last several months following reports of sexual misconduct and harassment among the company’s executives. On Monday, Activision said it fired dozens of executives after an investigation.

Under the deal, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, who has faced calls to resign over the cultural problems within his company, will remain CEO and report to Microsoft’s Xbox boss Phil Spencer.

Microsoft has gotten more aggressive with gaming over the past several years. It bought “Minecraft” maker Mojang for $2.5 billion in 2014. And last year, Microsoft completed a $7.5 billion acquisition of game maker Bethesda.

The deal also plays into a long-term vision for Microsoft as it competes with Meta (formerly Facebook) to build technologies to create a virtual world called the metaverse. In fact, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella was the first Big Tech CEO to publicly acknowledge the value of the metaverse, months before Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Today, virtual worlds are dominated by gaming, but the hope is they expand to cater to other demographics and replace a lot of traditional social networking activity online.

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

This won't be good, they will have a firm hold on the video game market and I don't see a lot of positives stemming from it, I suspect it being a huge negative.

2 years ago

I wonder if they'll bring back Wolfenstein (2009) to Steam now.
afaik it was removed due to a disagreement between id Software and Activision.
But now since MS holds both companies, it might just be possible..

2 years ago

With all of Microsoft's gaming acquisitions they'll push their own clients.

2 years ago

WSJ said Kotick will leave after the deal is done. Which is probably the only good news out of this.

2 years ago

WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN? You don't let Bobby remain CEO. He literally ate Blizzard alive and is now looking at Microsoft like an all you can eat buffet. Watch him take over Game Pass. Watch him.

2 years ago

They're not keeping him.

2 years ago

I'm honestly somewhat concerned that so many of gamings biggest IPs and developing talent are now in the hands of Microsoft.

2 years ago

I actually see this as a good thing, say whatever you want about M$, but compared to Activision they are much much better, and the best thing about this is, hopefully no more Battle.net exclusivity.

2 years ago

All im hoping for is to see a major price reduction for the all the old call of duty games.

2 years ago

I welcome the change. I don't really care if Microsoft takes over the gaming world. As long as they let the actual developers do their job, and allow talent and different flavors to shine. I don't want everything to taste of rushed Headquarter Vanilla.

As a long time fan of Blizzard games. I hope the future stinks of less Activision nonsense.

2 years ago

Yes guys, enjoy it, Bobby was kick out. And after 3 years you are all regret it. Microsoft it's not King Midas.

2 years ago

Bobby has been acting like King Midas, turning everything with soul into shiny metal. I'm glad his beady eyes will reign no more 👍

2 years ago

My first reaction to this piece of news was 'how the hell is anti-trust letting Microsoft buy competitors left and right'.

2 years ago

This made me laugh:
When Microsoft Buys Everything

2 years ago

Closed 2 years ago by lexby.