Microsoft says it will stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, as it prepares to unveil a major revamp of its Windows operating system later this month.

When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.
But from 14 October 2025, there will be no new updates or security fixes for either the Home or Pro versions.
And Microsoft says its successor will represent one of the "most significant updates" to the OS in the past decade.

Its predecessor, Windows 7, was retired in 2020, although businesses could pay Microsoft to continue receiving updates for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Windows 10 was released in July 2015 and dubbed "Windows as a service", which meant the software was gradually updated at no extra charge, rather than the company releasing a new version of its OS every few years.

At the time, chief executive Satya Nadella said it marked a "new era" for personal computing.
Developer evangelist and Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon went further, describing it as "the last version of Windows".
And Mr Nadella added he was particularly "excited" by features such as digital personal assistant Cortana, which was intended to compete with Apple's Siri.

But Cortana never really took off and in April this year it was retired on mobile, focusing instead on productivity help in Windows 10, Outlook and Teams."

"https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

[EDIT]

FateOfOne (Junior Moderator)
The 2021 Microsoft Windows Event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uuv_eKtNA

Windows 11 First Look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WucfckO0q48

Introducing Windows 11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9643c2P6k

Windows 11 Microsoft Teams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNHZJO7YFY

Windows 11 Android Apps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXXMGei4Ys

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Feels rather quick, thought microsoft were satisfied with windows 10 and not rushing for a new windows.

2 years ago*

They remembered how much more profit there is in forcing arbitrary new releases.
They could clearly just keep adding these supposedly amazing new features to 10 as they have been.

2 years ago

Very true.

2 years ago

Yeah I clearly remember 10 was sold as The Final OS so everyone needed to upgrade one last time forever.

2 years ago

Personally never had problems with windows 10.
And I am ready to see what new thing they will come up next. And who knows - maybe they will even touch upon new useful stuff instead of trying to push on useless shit no one asked for and no one needed.

2 years ago

Weโ€™re talking about Microsoft. Of course theyโ€™re gonna push useless shit nobody wants

2 years ago

My concern is games. Are the games gonna be compatible after enough updates? You already need to jump through hoops get fall out 3 working. Is new versions gonna destroy libraries?

2 years ago

Will I still have to fight Microsoft every time I try to do things on my computer?

2 years ago

Microsoft be like

View attached image.
2 years ago

So... "infinite lifespan Windows 10" will actually last shorter than "short lifespan Windows 7".
Bravo.

Cortana never really took off

Cortana being one of the main reasons why I wanted LTSB/LTSC rather than standard Windows, I can imagine that, yes ๐Ÿ‘€

2 years ago

I paid for Cortana - Cortana never supported my language, so why did I pay the same price as the others for the system?

2 years ago

Well, looks like MS is pretty skilled at ransoming people: those who pay a lot more for LTSB pay to not have Cortana...

2 years ago

That is a pretty short forever. Wonder if they will return to paid upgrade, or continue what they did with 10.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Windows 10 (or Windows 8, 2.0) is a disaster (beautiful to look but very obtuse and an annoyance to use), Windows 7 SP1 had no issues and was perfect IMHO. I personally bypass the useless graphical whitewash and stick to the old Windows apps as much as possible.
There was honestly no need for Windows 10, just like there is no need for Windows 11, but we will be forced to upgrade yet again.
I disabled Cortana everywhere and every possible way since I first upgraded.

Ok that was a bit harsh. Since 2015, Windows 10 has come a long way and is now pretty stable.
I just wish the wouldn't have tried so hard to hide everything useful under layers and more layers.

2 years ago

Tbh, I'm pissed by the mandatory telemetry (even if you "disable" it), the bloatware that can only avoided via LTSB (which they refuse to sell to non-professional customers), and a lesser extent the space waste by the big UI, but I find it technically pretty nice.

The unspeakable mess that the settings have become is kind of nicely compensated by the search features, the dark theme is finally everywhere, everything feels at least as fast as in Win 7. Pretty decent, even if Win 7 was already good indeed. The only big issue I have is finding how to configure proxy settings : I'm still using the ones found via Internet Explorer settings, via Internet Explorer itself...

2 years ago

Agreed on the search fixing the settings mess. The search in Win10 is actually pretty incredible (and, under the covers, it's just Cortana). I use it constantly and never worry about where they've moved stuff or what a mess I find the new menu. Usually, by the third keystroke, the thing that I want is on the screen, and I'm off to the races.

Honestly that's my only real gripe about Win10. It's overall a pretty killer OS. I hear everyone mention the telemetry, but everything is anonymized, and if we are fair about it at all, it's far less intrusive than the stuff that both Apple and Google do, and everyone keeps using those companies' products with hardly any discussion around the subject at all.

As for the UI wasting space...well, I guess that overall I really like the UI, and I feel like storage is freaking cheap, so that doesn't bother me, either. It certainly is a lot nicer than the janky-ass, java-or-worse-based UI mods that everyone hangs on their linux distros to give them some more functional level of user-friendliness. ๐Ÿ˜ Also, I'm over trying to cobble together my own stuff to make the OS more usable and compatible. As much as I love the speed of linux, I end up missing a lot of the functionality of Windows...it's just not a good experience for my broad variety of use. I like various flavors of linux if I'm creating a for-purpose machine of some sort, but for my all-around, every day rig, there's still nothing that beats Windows. For all of its issues, it's still better as a broadly-compatible, multi-function OS.

2 years ago

As for the UI wasting space...well, I guess that overall I really like the UI, and I feel like storage is freaking cheap

I meant screen space, not disk space ^^ Basically I just wish there was a compact mode for the settings menus.
Disk space use is reasonable compared to Win 7 I believe. Full cumulative patches remain well below 2GB as well.

As for the "anonymized" telemetry, nothing really is anonymous, that's why we have projects such as Tor and Freenet. If they cared about privacy that much, they'd let users disable it properly. Without the GDPR and the EU getting all pissed about it, we probably wouldn't even be able to disable it partially... ๐Ÿ‘€
Google and Apple being worse (not that sure about Apple though) doesn't make it any better, and yes there are tons of discussions about Google's spying. A lot more than Microsoft's, to the point that many people remove/forget/don't know about the "M" at the end of "GAFAM" (an acronym for the Big Tech spying companies Google-Amazon-Facebook-Apple-Microsoft)

2 years ago

Under the hood, windows 10 is much better than 7

2 years ago

Yup. I don't understand why so many people have this backwards. The kernel is faster, smaller, and more reliable than 7.

Also, 8 was built upon 7. 10 was built upon 8. None of these were do-overs. As such, 10 is literally just the evolved version of Win7.

2 years ago

people are afraid of change. they're comfortable doing things their way, and any difference must be bad

2 years ago

And here I am still using Windows 7 and not planning on upgrading any time soon...
At least until Steam stops supporting Windows 7.

2 years ago

I am in the same situation, but now I am looking to build a new computer because I am still using a 3570K from 2012 and I found out that new CPUs are not supported on Windows 7. It is possible to get them to work, but it's not easy and will probably continue to cause issues over time. I really don't want to deal with that, but I also don't want to switch to Windows 10, so I am stuck. I was planning to stay on 7 until things stopped working like I did with XP till 2017, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

I don't play a lot of modern AAA games so my CPU hasn't been an issue, but I just started playing No Man's Sky and it is the first game I have played where my CPU is a bottleneck. I was considering upgrading, but the current gen stuff is expensive and it's not dropping in price over time like the previous generations did.

Since I keep my computers for so long, I think at this point I am just going to wait for Zen 4. More cores, more cache, DDR5, and maybe PCIe 5. Then I will have to figure out what OS to run. If only Linux was as compatible and could play all my games.

2 years ago

Windows 7 works fine with my Ryzen 5 3600. I used the utility from MSI to insert chipset and USB drivers into my Win7 install disc and everything installed nicely and works very stable. It wasn't even hard to do. To be fair, I don't need Windows a lot, I use Linux for all productivity and work things, Windows is just for running windows binaries (such as games) occasionally. Rebooting only takes a few seconds ... whereas Win10 - in my experience - is notoriously bad for dual boot with linux.

2 years ago

I think it is getting harder and harder with each new generation because less people are using Windows 7 now so the community is smaller. I don't think there are official drivers for some things, so you have to rely on someone in the community to modify the drivers if you can't do it yourself and I don't know how.

Here's a comment from someone about their experience getting X570 to work with Windows 7.

2 years ago

Yes, it's definitely getting harder. The problem's mainly with chipset support. While the B450 I have is still well supported, anything from B550 onward requires a lot more work. It's just there seems to be no real alternative either. A desktop that behaves like some mobile platform with excessive "always online" features, forced updates and a store just doesn't work for me. I very much doubt they'll change their mind with Win11 (or whatever it'll be called), so the future doesn't look good...

2 years ago

Well, the multi-threading in Win10 is far superior to Win7, so if you really want to get the value of your modern CPU, you should consider upgrading.

If you do that, here's the worst kept secret at Microsoft: even though the "free upgrade" period to Win10 is long over, if you do a clean install of Win10, but provide a Win7/8 key, it'll register correctly as the corresponding version of Win10, register with MS, and work just fine. That may or may not work for OEM (hardware-tied keys), but it absolutely works with any retail version. I've done this at least a couple of dozen times. When someone has needed a new key, I've been able to buy a "bargain" 7/8 key from a vendor's inventory that they're trying to clear out, install 10, and get them up and running right away. Totally legit, registered with MS and everything.

2 years ago

Let me guess: the new Windows will be fully personalized and will come preset with all your data, passwords, up to date usage patterns, preconfigured digital accounts, pre-linked to all your social media, will know everything about you and will be configured exactly how you like it, based on preexisting previously collected anonymized data that cannot be used to identify you. :) /s

2 years ago

The predictive power of your crystal ball is impressive.

2 years ago

xD

The surveillance capitalism summarized in an excellent ironic comment

View attached image.
2 years ago

Someone leaked iso file of Windows 11. There are also a few "first look" video about the new OS

2 years ago

I wonder if it will be decent enough to finally leave 7. :)

2 years ago

I'm still using 7. I find it kinda funny that I manged to skip over 8 and 10 by accident, just because I felt lazy to switch.

2 years ago

So that means no PC upgrade until 2025 for me then :(

2 years ago

Like a few others here, I'm still on Windows 7, and really don't want to "upgrade" to 10.
Sadly nvidia is planning to stop supporting Windows 7 soon, and an increasing number of game developers are going Windows10-only now, so I'm probably going to be forced into it :(

Maybe I should just switch to Linux as my main OS and use a second drive with Windows 10 for gaming...

2 years ago*

^^^ windows 7 forever, upgrade never!!!!

2 years ago

You can install Linux in Windows 11 :D

2 years ago

I predict... that the new Windows will essentially be Steam, except instead of just games they'll also have Windows apps to purchase, and lots of ads & suggestions for "recommended apps" you might like.

2 years ago

I used Apple computers a lot at work at one time and still have a few older Macs lying about at home that were decomissioned and given to me. In my opinion that was pretty much how Mac OS went. Anything I used was dumbed down or thrown out - but hey look at the shiny new app store!

2 years ago

Here is a preview of the new UI look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMHgM_hTzlw

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

Win 95 was our first windows PC; it was fun :D
Win 7 pro has XP mode, so 8 & 16 bit programs could run on 64 bit. The number of 16 bit installers for 32 bit programs was a shocker when 64-bit rolled out.

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

Happy cake.day!

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

i may not live that long so meh xD

2 years ago

I never use cortana, google assistant, or siri. i hate the fact that win 7's search bar was replaced with Cortana, when Cortana (at least at first) phoned home what you searched for (or so i heard).

2 years ago

Looking forward to..
Steam user reviews: WARNING!! DOES NOT WORK ON WIN 11!! AVOID!! SHIT GAME.. WAAAGH!!

View attached image.
2 years ago

I didn't expect to be the first one to say this but here I am:

shrug Linux.

2 years ago

Still a ways off, but what a pain.

2 years ago

I'm still using Windows 7 and will continue to do so for as long as I can. After that I'll probably get Linux since I emulate a lot of older stuff anyway.

2 years ago

I'm using Windows 7 and Windows 10, since my employer is still using Windows 7 on his PCs (and Win10 only on laptops). On my private PC I use Windows 10 - and I like both of them. In the end they aren't that much different. The most positive thing I like about Win10 is the fact I don't need extra software to open most archive formats. Also the "Print to PDF" is a nice feature. Don't know if the latest Win7 also supports all of that, since the version my employer uses isn't up-to-date regarding features/updates (the updates we get are preselected).

Anyway, I'm not shocked we will get a new Windows, since it's probably the best source of income for Microsoft. If they give out free upgrades, like they did for Win10, I'll install it right away on my laptop (which I'm only using for smaller games and for work) to test it out myself. If it works fine for me, then I'll also install it on my PC.

And if there's no free upgrade, then I'll either get a license key from my employer or my friend. As IT admins we are sitting at the source anyway. I just hope that the system requirements aren't that much higher, cause I don't want to swap out all of our laptops at work again.

2 years ago

Even though, Windows 7 still pleasurable to use... My dad still love 7...

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.