Worry not. When thinking CP2077, think nothing less than TW3 — huge single player, open world, story-driven RPG. No hidden catch, you get what you pay for — no bullshit, just honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. We leave greed to others.

(https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/932224394541314055)

This tweet was in response to speculation about possible micro-transactions after a recent interview. CEO Adam Kicinski said, "There will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk... Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success."

Given the recent gaming climate, what do you think?

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you trust CD Projekt Red?

View Results
Yes
No

yeah all good for the game, too bad for the working condition of the people in their HQ... it seems like not the best place to be in

6 years ago

What's wrong with their working condition?

6 years ago

Interesting.
Seems like the CEO's vision of making games is now just throwing hundreds of people at it and working them like dogs until it's done.
Which WILL work, and I'm sure we'll get a damn good product at the end.
But damn that sucks for the people who actually made it.

6 years ago

true that. And from their response to this issue it seems like they are still on that mindset, which is kinda stupid... just imagine what they could achieve if they would change it!

6 years ago

Yeah. All veterans gone and only fresh blood being brought in and leaving months later.

6 years ago

Unfortunately, that's currently almost every AAA studio's approach. There are projects that go into "crunch" early, to get ahead, and they never leave crunch. They stay at 60-80+ hours a week for two full years.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

6 years ago

I like the games they make.
But I dont think they are much better than any other AAA companies. Its all about the moneyz

Its just good PR, giving a statement like that after all that EA crap, nothing more.

6 years ago

I'm cynical as fuck, but this approach where literally everything is always about marketing and ulterior motives is cynical to the point of naivety, and it's absurdly reductive of the nuanced world in which we live. More-so, it's a defeatism that ultimately comes around to justify the very status quo it seems so jaded towards by rendering it as the inevitable conclusion to anything, therefore only path worth pursuing.

6 years ago

"We leave greed to others", so everyone once again sees them as the good guys.
Dont be naive... this is marketing at its best.

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

The world is more complex than that. It's a smug tweet about something which makes them look good--yeah it functions as promotion--but it doesn't invalidate all other motivations and every action just because it doesn't fit your threshold for modesty.

Your logic is circular thinking that companies fuck over the consumer to maximize profit, while also envisioning that the only motivation behind not fucking over consumers is to generate more profit. It's begging the question; you've created a scenario where no act could ever occur that wouldn't be about generating profit, and rationalized that every other action must be a smokescreen from that.

Smokescreens exist all over the place-, but there's a difference between even the thickest of smokescreens and a company acting consistent with their MO. The tweet may be smug, but its almost certainly not just empty platitudes. A popular gesture can be exist for reasons beyond acquiring popularity. The Witcher wasn't some elaborate set up feigning good practices just to make more money later. There's nothing mutually exclusive about CDPR pursuing profit while also drawing the line at certain things they won't do in that pursuit.

6 years ago

I don't see how you can say that looking at their track record.

The Witcher Enhanced Edition and Director's Cut was given away for free to existing owners. It was a huge overhaul, including a complete graphics overhaul, given away for free.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition, also a significant overhaul, was given away for free to existing owners.

Compare that to all the companies charging money for "Definitive / Remastered / Enhanced / Director's Cut / Super Turbo Mega" editions.

All the Witcher 3 paid DLC are large expansions. All the smaller DLC, of which there was over a dozen, was given away for free. And all the DLC was included in the Season Pass, and the GotY Edition is the same as the Complete Edition and is just the base game + season pass.

Compare that to companies charging for every little piece of DLC, and games where the Season Pass, and even the GotY Edition, does not include all the DLC.

Not to mention all the free stuff given away with all their games - the kind of stuff that normally goes into a $100 Collector's Edition.

6 years ago

Since the first moment they said won't include paid DLC for their games, they keep the word.

6 years ago

They do have DLC tho. Both Blood and Wine and Stones of Hearts are DLC....

6 years ago

Those, in the old terms and concepts, are expansions, or if you wish - they add to the story.
It is the blight and blasphemy of these days that everything, including purely cosmetic crap is being chucked out and deemed same as a story expansion.

6 years ago

It's downloadable and content. So downloadable content, DLC :P

Distinction comes originally from need to differentiate from physical expansion packs. Now days pretty much everything is DLC or standalone expansions.

There's tons of good DLC too, but kinda ruined by all cosmetic crap.

Well, mostly correct word for cosmetics would be ULC (unlockable content), since those are included on disc/base game, but this is rarely used

6 years ago

You are absolutely correct, everything is called DLC now, as I said, and it is DLC, for it is downloadable xD

I just long for ye olden days where we had some normal, intelligent distinction, and an unlockable hero was added through a patch, a reskinned weapon didn't cost 5-10 EUR, and you had a complete story when you bought the base game.

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

All those "free DLCs" in W3 were just content cut from main game and then "released" over few weeks to gather positive PR and keep attention on their game.

I'm fine with big, polished, not-cut from base game DLCs. But it doesn't change they're still DLCs. Time of boxed expansion packs is long gone, so people should stop to use this term. As it's misleading. Just use "story driven DLCs" and "crap horse armor DLC". Or smth.

So writing that CDP Red said won't include paid DLC for their games it's straight lie. They released both big and nice DLCs (B&W, HoS), along with 16 shitty cut-content DLCs (but to gather PR they didn't charge for them, when Bethesda could ask money for new finisher animations or new Geralt beard)

6 years ago

I get what you say, but I fail to see how simply saying "expansion" is worse than saying "story driven DLCs", or "storydrivengameaddonswhichincludeanewareaandtvelvenewbosses". Why use multiple words when you can just call it what it is :D Using one word! :D

Call it what you will, but they, CD PROJEKT RED did exactly what I said above - they released DLCs free of charge, and expansions for money; same as they promised beforehand.

In short, to you it is a problem if they charge for the DLCs... yet it is also a problem if they do it for free because you see it as an evil marketing scheme? :D

6 years ago

No, I have problem with making distinction between DLC and expansion pack to glorify CDP Red by saying that they "release DLC for free and charge only for huge expansion packs! Not like evil Bethesda, EA, 2K <put whatever different company here>".

CDP Red did brilliant move from PR standpoint. They knew that DLCs are "evil of the industry" nowadays, so they cut some stuff that should be in game from the start, release it as "DLCs" and make way too much fuss about it. To polarize gamers and give them arguments to say "others do shitty DLCs, but CDP Red gave them for free!". Before developers added new gaming modes, enemies or whatnot as part of patches and no one glorified them for doing so. And released extra stuff on CDs as "expansions", as there was no other way to name it. Simple.

Pillars of Eternity also has only big story-driven DLCs and no mini-DLCs, but no one makes so much fuss about it. CDP Red is not white knight of gaming industry. They just knew they are too small and insignificant as developing company, so they can't act as big boys and charge players for new Geralt beard or horse skin. So they made fuss about themselves on subject of "free cut-content from our game!".

Now Battlefront 2 topic is on the board, so they try again to gain good PR by antagonizing players on this subject.

6 years ago

It was so funny to hear people claim "that's how DLC should be, free" when CDPR released that bunch of mini DLC that were merely content that they should have included in the game instead of needing customers add them manually. It was nothing but a PR move and a very annoying way to deliver content.

6 years ago

Yeah.

Plus they are so lazy that they didn't release full game with all this cut content, and after I bought GOTY on Steam I still had to download base game, 2 big DLCs and then another 16 DLCs. Sure, they are super small and downloading desn't take much time. But it looks ridiculous that New Game+ or finishing animations aren't part of base game. Or are just downloaded as extra patch without user knowledge.

6 years ago

You have a crazy huge chip on your shoulder and you make really bad arguments because of it.

Your self-described goal here is to take some company down a peg for not being as perfect as you think other people think they are. The whole vibe is super lame. It's not in the "you're bullying the good guys" way that I suspect you're anticipating---though it definitely reaads with this "wow, what the fuck are you really on about" sort of thing.

I'm super curious where this weird angst comes from, and I'm speculating (with no offense intended) that maybe it's something to do with being from Poland as well? Dunno, but I imagine there's either an actual (and more direct) issue or emotion involved,, or that there's a major exposure factor going on where hearing them hyped up all the time kick-started the ordinary over-extending contrarian backlash.

6 years ago*

Those are called expansions. It's an old term to name the addition of big content to a game.

6 years ago

No matter what you call them, they're still DLC.

DLC stands for "DownLoadable Content". And whether it's cosmetic packs, extra characters, new game modes or expansions, it's still downloadable content. The only moment an expansion can't be called a DLC is when you buy it from an actual box at your local store and don't need to download anything.

6 years ago

I went and bought the physical expansions. I did not download them. DLC fails in this concept.

I did downloaded the 12 given for free. But the Expansions can't really be called DLC. Only if they are only digital.

You call WoW expansions...expansions, not DLC

6 years ago

I'd be happier if they wouldn't put any kind of multiplayer into "huge single player, open world, story-driven RPG". Games that are focused on single player story don't go along with multiplayer bullshit. It always feels forced and unnecessary.

6 years ago

Co-op could be good.

6 years ago

Co-op never works in story driven game where consequences matter.

You play in those games to create your story. In co-op decisions would have to be either random (player A picked 1st option, player B picked 2nd option, game uses random generator and picks up 2nd option), or players would have to make compromises (let's pick your answer now, and mine later). Both options makes game not your game anymore.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

6 years ago

+infinity

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

no

6 years ago

First time I don't agree with them, and I mean the part where he says that online is necessary or recommended for a long-term success.
Chuck out an online zero-story game and lube it with flashy cosmetic crap packed in lootboxes. I don't think this suits them. Mainly because most of those kinds of games, if not for the ever-refreshing lootboxes, would be forgotten sooner than later.
If that's the way they'd rather go, I am fine with it. Shame, really, but whatever, someone else will come along :)

6 years ago

they don't have a team to make this game and no one knows what they will say when the game release (2020? 2022?)
Right now this looks like PR 😐
57 vacances

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

6 years ago

I think successful companies are always hiring, no?

6 years ago

i'm talkin not about hiring (but 57?). They did not start work on the game and they talk about "you get what you pay for — no bullshit".
Looks like everyone gone from old team and they started from the beginning 😲

6 years ago

Funny PR. I remember same sophistry about DLC, guys are just trying to use background again and exalt themselves.But I hope that things(firing crew, unclear estimated date of release) aren't so bad. There aren't so many cyberpunk games now.

6 years ago

Does the online element mean, they'll move away from a DRM-Free kind of game, like TW3:WH?

6 years ago

i want my cyber lootboxes T_T

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

it's a trap and i know it

View attached image.
6 years ago

Might be one of the few companies I'd trust when it comes to games even though it's crazy times we live in.
But it doesn't get me to preorder it. I've set that in stone: 11. Thou shall take no preorder of AAA games as it is the publishers' dick.

6 years ago

I picked No at the moment. Nothing tangible has been released about the game except for the game trailer. When more information is released, I will change my answer.

6 years ago

Do I trust CDPR more than most other devs/pubs? Yes.
Do I trust any devs/pubs in general? No.

We leave greed to others.

Sounds like something an attorney would say, to be honest, but it's a smart PR move and will probably work with the masses.

6 years ago

This is kinda where I'm at. I like what CDPR has been doing. But then again I also loved what Bioware, Bethesda, and Creative Assembly were doing.

6 years ago

We'll see, I guess.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago

6 years ago*

3 years later:

boop

6 years ago

remove _d from screenshot ^^

6 years ago

slowponyita

6 years ago

i'm posting at my own leisure T_T

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

I dunno, sounds more debatable these days. I just posted this two weeks ago: 43 CD Projekt Red Developers Speak Out About Cyberpunk 2077 Development & Working Conditions

6 years ago

good, great, nice - but not best (if only for some people),
and u don't have any of CD Project Red's games - how u know? gog?

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

New Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer and Demo rumored to arrive at E3 this year

I'm really trying not to let myself get hyped for this, because I know we're probably still a ways off from a release, but it's so hard not too.

6 years ago

Any other big publisher I'd pretty much have lost any hope by now, but CDPR is the one remaining exception to the rule. This will be a pretty good test to see if they can maintain their good guy image. Especially with Humble Bundle succumbing to their corporate sellout exit strategy, CDPR really does feel like the last bastion of good faith in the gaming industry.

Help us, CDPR. You're our only hope.

View attached image.
6 years ago*

I do not trust anyone and I'll analyze every case whenever I consider it fit.

Although I have no qualms with cdprojektred, I do not "trust" them and will judge every project of theirs on its merits and not on their reputation, as I do with every other game in the market.

6 years ago

just remember that all good devs and publishers eventually go bad. nothing stays perfect forever. I love the witcher franchise, im a massive fan, but id never assume cdpr is going to be honest and truthful and consumer focused forever. at one point, money will win out... money always wins out, in the end...

I mean, heck.. im NOT saying witcher 3 was an ugly game (it certainly wasnt!), but it definitely did go through a graphical downgrade during development. YES pretty much ALL games do this (and as downgrades go, its no ubisoft title thats for sure), but the issue i have is that they continually denied it. This is not the mark of a developer with an unshakeable ethic and integrity you can blindly trust when it comes to how they treat gamers and the things they publicly say. Im certainly looking forward to cyberpunk, and have no doubt ill buy it.. but do i automatically believe whatever cdpr says about the game during development? no way.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

6 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by doctorofjournalism.