I'm writing a PSA because I'm bored and when I came back from a break and looked at my March 2021 Humble Choice, I was left confused and had to sift through comments on the discussion threads to find my answer. Most of you have already given this game away or claimed it for yourself (fashionably late to the party as always) but here is an archive with all the info you need for those of you who have left your key sitting there.

Drama lovers and internet historians, get out your popcorn.

If you have any corrections or fixes you would like me to add, please let me know in the comments.

What is this about?

In March 2021, 505 games added the game Control to that month's Humble Choice. Instead of adding the game in its Ultimate Edition version which was the version that came to Steam originally and is currently the only version that can be purchased, they instead added a Standard Edition without any additional DLC that comes with the Ultimate Edition. Some consumers were not pleased and some left negative steam reviews explaining why this was a bad move.

Why does this matter?

Users of Steam Gifts were left confused and chaos ensued when everyone did giveaways for the Ultimate Edition because that was the only edition available to choose from - when the Standard Edition actually has a MSRP of about $10 USD or 10 CV less than the Ultimate Edition. This was not SG's fault because there was no steam page for the Standard Edition at the time. Making a giveaway for the wrong version or game title can actually hurt your winner by potentially causing false flags for unclaimed games. This can hurt your account standing on the site and with any giveaway groups that check for unclaimed games. Worse case scenario, you can get banned for it because this is against Steam Gifts rules since you are expected to activate the key on the account you won the giveaway on and the way to tell is by searching your account by the app ID. Speaking of app IDs...

So how do I do a giveaway for the Humble Choice version?

In the box where you normally type the game title, type 543422. This is the app ID for the Standard Edition and FYI you can do this for any game on Steam by typing its app ID. When you click away from the box, the game title will now be displayed simply Control and there will be no preview image unfortunately because that page does not actually exist. But app IDs remain!

You can also technically just type Control and the correct game version came up for me as the first result but this is a foolproof way to ensure you have the correct version. The app ID of the Ultimate Edition is 870780 and has cover art, for contrast.

Important Update: Disclaimer about the DLC and unpatched version

See this comment below by SmokyMonki before buying the DLC for the Standard Edition or suggesting to others to buy it. The Standard Edition is bugged and some side-quests are potentially unable to be finished, according to the patch notes. This can only be bypassed by owning the Ultimate Edition! From now on, I do not recommend buying The Foundation DLC especially!

Original text as follows:

Too lazy to add all this info to your GA?

Someone in my WL said they liked my explanation I wrote in the description of my GA so I'm copy/pasting it here for anyone else to use if they want to. It's important to note that the info about the DLC is time-sensitive as of this writing. Humble may or may not remove keys for the season pass after the sale ends but 505 Games does not exactly inspire consumer confidence in them. The discussion thread I linked to provided links to purchase both DLC separately here and here but they are more expensive to purchase individually than the season pass. Both are no longer available for purchase directly on Steam - at the request of the publisher 505 Games. If you're copy/pasting this after the sale ends (18 days left as of this writing) please remove all relevant info about the DLCs.

Or just include the first paragraph and link to this thread since I have done all the explanation for you.

Updated Copypasta description

**Important disclaimer: This is the Humble Choice Standard Edition of Control.** It will say Ultimate Edition when you redeem the key, but it is **not** the Ultimate Edition with the season pass DLC. See more info at this link: https://support.505games.com/hc/en-us/sections/360005474899

You can buy the season pass separately for 50% off from Humble for the next few weeks if you win. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/control-season-pass HOWEVER keep in mind that The Foundation DLC is known to have bugs that can prevent side missions from being completed in the Standard Edition! Buyer beware!

The publisher is kind of [sus](https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/NNxpi/control-is-now-selling-only-the-ultimate-edition-on-steamno-seperate-purchase-of-season-pass-or-dlc) and it's rumored (but not confirmed) that Humble may run out of keys because the publisher already removed the ability to buy the DLC separately from the steam store.

Otherwise, no big deal, just enjoy the free game!

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Did you already know about this?

View Results
Yes and I knew the solution
Yes but I didn't know the solution
No
Never cared!

AFAIK, buying DLC is also not an option (at least not a reliable option) . I was going to buy DLC and luckily met this thread and especially this answer. According to it, the standard edition is not updated, as well as the DLC, which still have bugs, are not updated. For example, the inability to complete some additional quests.And now, in order to play the updated / working DLC, I need to delete the game from my account through support and buy the whole Ultimate edition again. Just to play DLC.

2 years ago*

Holy heck, I didn't know that. That sucks! Thanks so much for mentioning. Basically: Patch notes: Fixed the game. Wtf. I'll add a disclaimer to the main thread.

2 years ago

That definitely seal the deal for me then, no season pass for this garbage version of the game. I will be very cautious from now on with everything 505 games publish.
Thanks you :3

2 years ago

Yep, same for me. Except, I won't be buying anything they publish :D

2 years ago

Many thanks for the copypasta, Ill be sure to link the giveaway back here as well.

2 years ago

Cool, glad I could be helpful!

2 years ago

This is useful to me, thank you!

2 years ago

iirc, the option for a standard edition giveaway was implemented only a few days after the bundle dropped. but yeah, like smokymonki mentioned, it's apparently a totally different version that's missing some key updates like the ability to play offline.

sg thread
reddit thread

2 years ago

The naive hopeful people on reddit seem to believe that if they flood the studio with emails and tweets, they'll get the studio to agree to transform the Humble Limited Edition + DLC into the Ultimate Edition.
Isn't it nice to see hopeful people on the internet?

Thanks for the PS Gina ;)

2 years ago

Rofl. It sure is. What's louder than a gunshot? An angry gamer with a twitter account. In the end, this drama is short-lived and just a blip on the radar. The game is still sitting at Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam and this controversy doesn't mean much to a big publisher like 505 Games. I'm sure they consider Humble users a source of lost income anyway, which makes me confused why they even opted to include the game in the bundle in the first place. They were betting on consumers to go out and buy the season pass then maybe pulled that off the store due to poor response.

2 years ago

It has very positive, not Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.

2 years ago

I think what Gina meant was even a big wave of angry reviews won't make the game fall back that much in the steam ratings.

2 years ago

Oh, good catch! I'm very positive (sorry, I just had to make that pun) that may or may not have have changed recently then, which is even more interesting. Still, looking at the graph, every month since the game's release there's been more positive reviews than negative reviews. I think most of the hate posts were on social media.

2 years ago

What's louder than a gunshot? An angry gamer with a twitter account.

Haha yeah Twitter tends to amplify everything except positive things.
I think on the whole this snafu is going to be worse for Humble than for 505 really. If they are hoping to get people to subscribe with big games like that, they probably don't want that much attention on the fact that the games could be limited, stunted and unpatched.

2 years ago

Aw man, I think you have a great point. That sucks to think about. Despite their snafus and not every month of Choice being great etc, I've always been a big Humble lover. They could do with more quality control perhaps but if I were an employee at Humble and 505 contacted me saying they'd add Control but on one condition, I'd probably say yes too. Who knows how the decision-making went down.

2 years ago

My reaction for 505 were ...
(Since the 23.04.21)

Without a twitter comment or something else. Only the money purse teach them what customers expect, what they tolerate and what not.

View attached image.
2 years ago

Yup. I am afraid they join the scam artists with that one.
Making good games is not enough when you treat your customers like wallets.

2 years ago

Well... if I recall correctly, it's because people were pissed that Call of Duty Black Ops 3 multiplayer was updated to the standard edition a few years ago, when the bundle was still called Monthly. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath, but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In any case, if I had activated Control standard and bought the dlc's, I guess I'd also be unhappy to have a broken, bug-ridden mess.

2 years ago

Haha oh yeah I remember that one. One of my wins on SG. It took me a while to figure out why Steam was telling me I already owned CoD Black Ops 3. Hey maybe it'll work. To be honest, that would cost 505 nothing since people who paid for the DLC practically paid the on sale price for the full game anyway just for the Season Pass, and it would buy them back some karma but who knows?

2 years ago

The Season Pass of control just activates the DLC contents on STEAM. Nothing was downloaded for me.
DX11 is available. Will check to confirm the updates are present.
Does anyone have the build numbers to compare?

2 years ago

Does the HB version of "Control" really require online playing all the time? Do you encounter any bugs in the base game or DLC?

2 years ago

Yes, its stupid. You're stuck at 'Press Enter to Start" if your internet is disabled or running Steam in offline mode.
I say stupid because after getting to the menu, you can disable your internet and the game seems to work just fine. I could use the options and play the game.
Need to play longer and see if it saves my progress with internet disabled.

Please don't buy the Season pass. Just buy it again on Steam / GOG if you want offline play.

2 years ago

OH, this really sucks! Fxxk HB and 505 Games....
Compared to the online play, I'm more concerned about the bugs in completing the missions of the DLC.

Thank you for the feedback. It's really helpful!! 🙏

2 years ago*

Thanks for writing this out Gina, you are always so resourceful ;)

2 years ago

Awww 💜 haha

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.