Just to ensure that I have an interesting new year, I opted to break my left leg last week. You know, some people resolve to lose weight, be kinder to others, quit smoking, etc. My resolution, drain my health savings account as fast as possible. I would like to say that unlike many of you I have likely already successfully fulfilled my New Year's Resolution.

I bet your jealous?!

In all seriousness, this blows. I cannot think of one thing about this whole scenario that isn't a major life suck... except maybe the pain killers, those are always nice (but who wants to waste good drugs on pain)!

Anyway, hope someone is having a far better start to their new year than I am.

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

It might be better than yours here but I have a bad feeling about my 2015.

Here's to you and your leg, may you heal quickly and not dig your grave (moneh-wise) too much.

9 years ago

9 years ago

I loled.

9 years ago

Fortunately, I have really good insurance... so the cost will not be a life changer.

9 years ago

Damn dude. Feel for ya. A story to tell for sure :\

9 years ago

Does your name starts with a D. and did you do that skateboarding? (If so i might know you irl)

If not, ugh sorry for you, hope you feel better soon!

9 years ago

Nah, it starts with a K, and although I am tempted to tell people a glorious story of my exploits that lead to the injury... the sad, sad truth is that I was (no shit) pushing our trash to the curb... hit a patch of ice I didn't see on our driveway... fell in such a manner that my leg bent in ways it was not meant to... and fractured my tibia at the knee.

9 years ago

ouch

9 years ago

Money: there's never enough and there's always more.

You have your health, enjoy life for what it is.

9 years ago

During Christmas we had a lot of snow here and I was late for equipping my car with fitting tires for the season. So I ended up with summer tires on it. A friend tryin to drag me out of where I'm living into civilization when I start sliding towards her trucklike car and hitting it with my left lights (and all the rest that is there on a car of which I don't know the name of in english).

You wrecked your foot, I wrecked my car, we both wrecked our wallet, lol.

I can't complain though, as I had a blast with friends. Was an AWESOME party we were having and I partied like it's 1999. You gotta look on the bright side, man. Hugs and kisses and all the best for your 2015!

9 years ago

That sucks... I hate car damage... especially when it isn't inflicted by someone else... 'cause then you never want to have it fixed because you know it will cost a metric f@$% ton!

9 years ago

I broke my knee 1.5 year ago - which resulted in 4 months of being tied to bed - but there's bright sides even in that - I've played/read through hell out of my backlog of games and books ;p

9 years ago

I hope to hell I do not have to be laid up that long... my insurance is great, but I left my job as a prison guard a little over two years ago to take my current position programming and consulting for campaigns and non-profits... better job, but I lost an excellent leave system for one that amounts to two weeks off per year... vacation or sick time, your choice. Four months would put me in some time sans pay.

I think I'm gonna need some of that weed.

9 years ago

plottwist - zelghadis don't smoke weed. This avatar is nothing more than an inside joke ;p

And you prolly won't need to stay in bed for as long as I did - with broen bone, you will be able to walk quite soon supported by crutches - with broken knee it's very hard to stabilize it to heal properly and every small movement can destroy doctors work, and it was retty serious condition - that's why it took so long to heal.

9 years ago

You need to be more careful around arrows!

9 years ago

most of all I need to be more careful in moshpits on concerts ;p

9 years ago

You, my friend, know what to do with free time!

9 years ago

awwww that sucks D: It will get better in the end :)
Just as a personal curiosity, feel free to skip this question: How much does it cost treatment for a broken leg in the USA? Surgery included (if any necessary). ^^

9 years ago

It can vary depending on many factors, I would guess mine will run me about $500+ out of pocket and around $10K billed to the insurance company. However, if you have to be transported via ambulance add another $1K to $2K (regardless of transport distance). If you have to have surgery (which I might, I'm not sure yet) that will add around $4K if it is outpatient and you can go home after the procedure... but it gets considerably more expensive if you have to stay at the hospital for observation.

Ultimately, I am just estimating though. Anytime I have a medical procedure here I get a variety of bills from the health care provider(s), and then even more from my insurance company. In the end it is just so overwhelming you just pay what is owed without diving to deeply into the mass of billing paperwork. I do know that when my four year old daughter was born two of the plates in her skull were fused. The complete fusion of those plates does not come to fruition for most until we are nearing the end of our teenage years. Anyway, they had to correct her skull. The one thing I recall that stood out in those bills... was the $40K charge for the three days she stayed in the hospital. If I did not have insurance, that alone would have been a bill that would destroyed us... and that doesn't include the fees for the neurosurgeon and the plastic surgeon that had to operate in tandem to remove her face, separate the fused plates, and then reconstruct the deformity that developed as one side of her skull grew while the other had not. Yeah... that bill would have rivalled a large home mortgage I would guess.

9 years ago

Wow, I knew health care fees were pretty high, but that's absurd D: Anyway, I hope you'll get well soon :)

9 years ago

Good luck. I know what it's like. Had TWO foot injuries on my left foot and one om my right.

As for 2015 starting off craptastic, I knew it would for me. Last 4 years in a row were worse then before.... Not like I even HAD a good day in my life but I digress.

9 years ago

That sucks, sorry to hear that mang! Hope your year perks up. Sounds like you are overdue for a good one.

9 years ago

It won't and I'm resigned tot he truth that I'm not allowed to have anything good happen to me.

9 years ago

:C

9 years ago

u.u

9 years ago

Urgh, ouch.

Well look at it this way : Maybe life is trying to get all of the shitty stuff out of the way first, so you can have a clear stretch up until the next year? :3c

9 years ago

I'm not going to give you guys a tirade about that last six months of our lives... but lets just say my family and I are poised to have an excellent remaining decade if that's the case! I'm all for it... dealing with life's trials can sometimes blow goats... I'm ready for some calmer waters.

9 years ago

My 2GB GTX 560 Ti fried on me to kick the year off right! Both of us had a bad break!

9 years ago

Ouch... that might even be worse. I realize there is no pain, but now you have to replace that thing. That means running your rig sans GPU until you find one... researching to find the right replacement... then waiting for the damn thing to arrive! I may be in pain, but at least I have my GPUs fully functioning... at least they were a couple of weeks ago before I started my first sleeving mod (which is taking FOREVER!) I'm not certain if you are hooked on NVIDIA (I am), but I hear the R9 270X is a good card for the money and it is a 2GB like the 560 Ti. I realize it is not in the budget for most, but man, if you can get your hands of GTX 970 you will not regret it. I'm running two 980s, and I have never had smoother performance from any flagship card before (mind you, I avoided Titan).

Anyway, sorry to hear about your loss... when people lose crucial PC parts I always want to send a sympathy card or something.

9 years ago

Don't be silly, he needs one of your 980s cards and not a sympathy one!
(Jk.)
(My 660 Ti been running for over 2 years very good on any game, always 40-55ºC)

9 years ago

A 980 would definitely be nice, but I think my system is starting to show its grey wires. It probably wouldn't be able to even fully utilize the 980. It's an old first gen i7 930 (LGA 1366) with 6GB RAM (3x2GB as Triple Channel was a thing back then!) , and a hybrid hard drive (tiny SSD for O/S, normal old style platters for installing to). With it's old GTX 560 Ti it could do anything I wanted it to do at maxed out everything (sure I took a frame rate hit maxing out brand new stuff, but still managed to cruise at least around 30 FPS (At 1920x1080) most of the time which was good enough for me.

Edit: Plus I bet the import fees and duty would be nasty if AdmiralP mailed it!

9 years ago

Now that is what everyone should get, a Get Well Soon Graphics Card!

9 years ago

I might take your suggestion on the R9 270X. Give ATI another whirl. The R7 265 and the R9 285 are not too terribly priced right now. I don't really want to spend a bundle on a 4.5 year old computer. It's due for a rebuild next year (2016).

Edit: Plus the R9 I think comes with the Gold Never Settle: Space Edition and the R7 the Silver. Wouldn't mind Star Citizen, so either would work.

9 years ago

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I'm up and about and have not yet missed any work... but this is seriously cutting into my current build and mod because my workstation is not exactly conducive to supporting my newly gimped leg. I told my wife I was just going to move it to the kitchen table to finish... you can guess how well that one went over.

9 years ago

Rule number 1: Don't panic! (:
Rule number 2: Get well fast!
Rule number 3: Read rule number 1!

9 years ago

My teacher say that i don't know and that i am awful but won batman origins from you which was nice

9 years ago

Wait, medical insurance paying out instead of cancelling your service? I wasn't aware that happened.

Mentioned because guess the leading cause for debt in the US. :P

9 years ago

It is, and that does happen to a lot of people... they'll deny the claim and fight it until you are broke, dead, or both. My coverage is basically contingent on the fact that I was a state corrections officer. I cannot say that our insurance plan has never denied a claim, but I have never heard of it happening to anyone. Like I said though... it does happen a lot. In fact, my kid sister filed for medical bankruptcy when an injury in a car accident ran her bill up over $80K. She has spent a long time trying to rebuild her credit, and its not like the debt goes away completely in all bankruptcies... she is still paying a large chunk (though not all) and they are no longer accruing interest.

9 years ago

Sucks that it happened to family, but good to know it isn't likely for you as well.

9 years ago

I hope that the year end being awesome for you :-)
Hell, for the same price I hope that for everyone who reads this!

9 years ago

I never broke anything in my life ):

Maybe that's because I'm always hibernating, not sure tho

9 years ago

Let's see... Broke left leg instead of left hip or left shoulder. Took the hit with health care savings instead of having to sell all of your possessions. Still managed to retain access to SteamGifts and friends.

Yep, sounds like a good start to 2015.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.