And with that, another Halloween event is over! I hope that everyone (or almost everyone, at least ๐Ÿ˜‰) had a good time with the game.

As described in the original post, I am checking screen shots for the grand prize and some of the more premium games, as well as spot-checking some other random ones. And so, I need to see screen shots from the following players:

ILux (our Grand Prize winner!)
AgentQQ
TomyDrack
cybernet343
Ouokl
elGeorgio
Mileworg
Thac0
Katr4n
Spanx
Acierate
ant123
read0nly
KornKage
sunmi
threeupyouya
Pestarzt

You can put them on imgur, dropbox, whatever. Just leave a link in the thread here, and as I check them I will cross your name off of the list. Once everyone has been checked (and I know that I don't need to do any re-rolls), then I'll send out all of the keys! So, please confirm your valid entry ASAP so that everyone can get their games!

Congrats to the winners, and Happy Halloween!

Grez

I'm baaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkk!!!!

Sorry that I couldn't jump in here sooner, but I've been a busy boy. Lots going on at work, my awesome custom pickup truck was stolen (in broad daylight no less) and I've had to deal with insurance and stuff, and I'm preparing for a friend's big show (annual event) in which I'm actually performing this year...oh, and the afterparty for all of the musicians, sponsors, and crew is at my house on the 29th. So yeah, phew.

But I couldn't let Halloween sneak up on us without handing out some Steamgifts love. So, I spent a few hours here and there the past couple of weeks compiling games (101 of them) and coding a new SG Gameflipโ„ข game to give them away. ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿค˜

Ok, Ok, enough about you -- what's the event?

So, this year, you get Halloween Blaster, a completely mindless, fairly grindy shoot-em-up. Here's your two-line background story: The evil creatures of darkness are descending upon your town, filling the sky with their terrifying presence! So you jump on board your trusty knife-flinging Pumpkinshipยฎ and prepare to send those interlopers back to whence they came! PEW PEW PEW!

Based upon your performance in the game, it will reveal the codes for trains. The way this works is very simple:

Train 1: 250,000 points
Train 2: 500,000 points
Train 3: 1,000,000 points
Train 4: 2,000,000 points

Each train has 25 carts, and all of the games have some thematic relationship to Halloween. The quality of the games in each train gets better as you move toward the higher scores. The 4th train has a few premium bundle games, plus a couple of non-bundled games at the end. No, it's not that hard to get 2M points, and you'll easily achieve this before the last level.

There is also a GRAND PRIZE. This is a non-bundled, released-this-year, scary-ass, overwhelmingly positive game. To be able to enter for this game, you must beat all 20 levels of the game. If you do this, you'll get a special winner screen that will give you the entry code for the grand prize.

How do I use these codes to enter for the games?

Wait...what? Really? Ok, n00b. ๐Ÿ˜œ

When you see the 5-digit code for a train or the Grand Prize, you just add it to a URL that looks like this:

steamgifts.com/giveaway/XXXXX/

Where you replace the XXXXX with the 5-digit code. Yes, case matters, so get that right. The final slash matters, too.

How do you know that I got the code by playing the game and didn't just get it from a friend?

Hey, that's a great question. You're going to need to take a screen shot of your winner/game over screen. Samples of these can be found at the bottom of this post. You should take the screen shot of the game (the window is pretty small) in front of your browser with Steamgifts in the background and your SG profile or something else clearly displayed that identifies you.

I'm obviously not going to check all 101 of these, but I will definitely check the Grand Prize and all of the premium giveaways. I will randomly pick 10 other GAs to spot-check. If you cheated, you will be one of the very few people that get added to my blacklist, and you're never, ever coming off. I took the time to write the game, so you can take the time to play it. No. Cheating. ๐Ÿ˜

Don't forget to save your screen shots! You don't need to post them anywhere...just have them available in case you win and I ask. I'll post a list in this thread of the players that need to give me a screen shot. Also, the game doesn't save any score data (more explanation of that toward the bottom of all of this text), so don't forget or you'll have to play it again.

How do I play the game?

It's really, really simple. If it moves, shoot it. Don't get hit by stuff. Things start slowly and get perpetually more hectic as you progress.

Your Pumpkinship fires automatically. All you have to do is move. With a mouse, you need to click on the Pumpkinship and drag it around. If you're on a touch screen, just use your finger.

When you earn enough points, a power-up for your knife-flinger will float down the screen (it looks like a pair of crossed knives). Grab it, and you'll increase your knife power (there are seven levels in all). Eventually, you'll add sideways and even backwards-firing knives! Whoo-hoo!

After spending enough time killing baddies, you'll face a Skullboss at the end of each level. The firing pattern will change a little bit over time. If you make it to level 20, the Skullboss will bring a demon buddy who will shoot at you from behind. Survive this, and you win the game!

On some levels, a glowing purple ring of energy will appear. Grab it -- it's a shield upgrade! It won't make you invincible, but it will greatly reduce your damage when you are hit. While it's active, you'll see a countdown timer, and smaller purple rings will continue to drop from the top of the screen. Each time you grab one of these, it adds a bit of time back to your shield countdown.

Things that I know kind of suck/game dev background

Yes, yes, I don't like the movement control, either. Having to hold down your mouse button is not convenient. And, if you hit the sides, you can move your pointer off center of your Pumpkinship, and then you have to release and re-click on it. But the template that I based this game off of (more on that below) was intended for touch screens, so it's unavoidable unless I wanted to re-code the entirety of the movement logic in the game, and I honestly didn't have that kind of time this year. So seriously, don't be a big baby about it. I played through the entire game and beat it multiple times holding down the mouse button, and it really wasn't a big deal on this one (because the movement is fairly easy).

No, the game doesn't save high scores or anything. There's a longer story here, but the short one is that I made this with AppGameKit Studio, and its file handling is freaking atrocious. I'm brand new to this development environment, but wanted to try it out since I just got it in one of those Fanatical bundles. After fiddling with some things, it just wasn't worth spending the time on messing with this code if I wanted to crank this out on time for Halloween. So, you're gonna have to go old school and play through the whole thing at once. Hey, I grew up doing that, so I don't want to hear about it. At least you can pause this thing, unlike my Atari. ๐Ÿ˜œ

There's not specific resolution control. That seems to be kind of challenging in AGK too. If you're on a 4K screen, this thing is probably pretty small. I get it. But just change your resolution for 20 minutes to 1080p. It's like three mouse clicks. I promise that you can change it right back when you're done. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We've also found out through discussion that AGK doesn't automatically adjust for screen refresh rates, so this will directly affect your play speed. If you're over 60Hz, I strongly suggest you tweak your display refresh rate temporarily so that you're not playing in super-fast mode.

The game is kind of grindy, and by the end, yep, you're kind of ready for it to be done. I get it. If I were trying to make a Steam-ready game, there would be a lot more variety in baddies, specific attack patterns, different wave types, a lot more bosses and firing patterns, etc. But even doing a template-flip game takes a lot of time if you do it right. These reviewers on Steam that say that some asset-flip house threw together a game in an hour are almost always wrong (I mean, there are cases where that's likely true, but it's really rare). In any case, I really don't need to hear anyone complain about it. It's a fun little one-time-use, throwaway game. Just love it for what it is, enter for your free games, and get on with your bad self. :)

If you're wondering how AppGameKit Studio compares to GameMaker, well, it's not nearly as robust. It's purely a code-based studio (other than being able to drag in some game assets, but there's not any editing capability in the software). GameMaker handles editing, allows you to custom-parse spritesheets to get animation frames, allows you to handle some events with config instead of code, etc. AGK won't even let you pick an icon for the exe. I had to use ResourceHacker to replace the runtime icon, but the file icon is still the generic one (it can be changed, but it required jumping through a lot of hoops). In any case, if you're going to invest in one IDE or the other, I'd pick GameMaker in a heartbeat. AGK isn't bad (and is definitely faster than writing purely from scratch), but it's definitely not on the same level.

In the "credits" section, I said all of the sound was from bundles, which is pretty much true. That doesn't mean that I didn't do a ton of sound editing (I did). I mixed things together, re-leveled sound files to keep anything from being too ridiculously loud in comparison to the other sounds, shortened or looped things, etc.

The graphics are either free, fair-use graphics or ones that I made from scratch (like the title logo). Many of them were modified as well, and this was mostly done in Powerpoint (which does a gazillion things that most people don't realize it can do) and MS Paint 3D (which is way better than you think it is).

I also tweaked a lot of logic and added a lot more variety to things like the backdrop and soundscape. For instance, the original template used two random noises for background sounds, and hoo boy did that ever get old. I have an array of eleven, which I spent some time trying to get properly sound-balanced as well. You get the idea. There are just lots and lots of little things that were done to make this more of a playable game than what came out of the box in the template.

As for the template: yes, it's totally ok that I used it. That's literally what it's there for (it's packaged with AGK in the community pack).

Ok, ok, enough already. How do I get started?

First, Download Halloween Blaster from my Dropbox.

It's just a zip file. Just create a new folder wherever you want and unzip the game into it. Double-click the exe to get started. No installation necessary.

When does this event end?

The whole thing is over as of midnight that borders Halloween/All Hallow's Day...specifically, 12:00 am November 1st, Pacific time (which, other than Alaska and Hawaii, should be the "last" midnight for everyone on SG).

Ok, I know that was a lot. No more reading for you. Just go fling knives at spooky critters. Any more questions, ask away in the thread.

As promised, sample game over/winner screens:

Game Over
Winner

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Were you oh so afraid that I wouldn't give you a Halloween event this year?

View Results
Oh dear, yes...I've just been curled in the corner, rocking myself for comfort with anxiety that this day wouldn't come.
No, never. I have complete faith in you. I will follow you unquestioningly into the darkness of All Hallow's Eve! Huzzah, Grand Poobah of Spookytown! I say, Huzzah!
I am a soulless party pooper who is carving potatoes instead of pumpkins for Halloween. I hand out healthy snacks and pencils to trick-or-treaters. When I die, Satan will use my skull as part of his personal bocce set.

Bump

2 years ago

Thank and Bump. Almost reached Level 20.

2 years ago

Keep trying! If you're close, then probably on the next run or so, you'll get there without much trouble. Be ready for that double-boss, though. It's a lot harder than the single ones (read through the posts to find hints on beating them).

2 years ago

hmmm...cant seem to start the game somehow.
i only get this screen with AppGameKit saying its unconnected.
what should i do?

2 years ago

I have no idea...I've never seen that. Did you definitely unpack the entire zip into a folder? You aren't trying to run the exe right out of the zip file, right?

Also, I need to add this to the original post...it's Windows-only. If you're on a Mac, sorry about that. AGK doesn't port to Mac (although it can do HTML5, and I'm looking into that).

2 years ago

im using windows and unpacked it... so really clueless

Edit:
i'll try again tomorrow and maybe do a screenshot

2 years ago*

deleted and extracted it again
now its working

for now o got up to 2nd train. played while nursing my 3 month old baby

but i was wondering how to go about the fps... how do i change that or at least check how much i got?

2 years ago*

beat the boss in lvl 20 ;D
with sleeping baby on me lol

thanks, that was fun :)

2 years ago

Yea! Glad that you got it working.

You usually can easily check/change your FPS by opening your GPU management software (example: if you have NVidia, this is usually called NVidia Control Panel [or just "settings"]), and when you go to your resolution settings, "refresh rate" will be there. That controls the FPS in this game engine. It's designed for a 60Hz refresh rate, so if you're at 144Hz or something, you're playing in advanced mode. :D

Oh, and I remember those baby game-playing days. My kids are teenagers now. Brace yourself. ;)

2 years ago

God damn those pesky kamikaze ghosts!

2 years ago

Annoying "pesky kamikaze ghosts"! xD

2 years ago

Imagine if you were to correct me in the proper order of the adjectives.
"The rule says that kamikaze goes before pesky, because of the type of annoyance."
God, some times English is fun, sometimes is weird!

2 years ago

Ok, now you HAVE to explain this to me :P

2 years ago

Well it is a joke on one of English grammar rules.
Here is some explanation: https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/adjectives/order-of-adjectives/
Generally I love English because of the ease of use, but since I usually use languages based on experience, some things tend to go wrong sometimes for me... XD

2 years ago

They are SUPER annoying. ;)

2 years ago

Is this a hint? I am oblivious to this kind of things...
I can say i was born hintless? no wait, hintfree, no no unhint, no...
Well, I bothered you enough :D
Let's say it is a bump...

2 years ago

This was a very cool event! I liked it very very much! First try I died on lvl 20 because for about 10 level I was with 1 knife and so I couldn't make the multiplier score needed to drop me a power up.. On second try I did better and managed to unlock and the knives on the side/bottom and finished the game and the 2 bosses :D

Very enjoyable event + a drm free game for free :P (good effort! very festive and spooky! :P )

2 years ago

Glad you had fun! Also impressive that you made it that far the first time with no power-ups!

2 years ago

I was wondering how could I win if I made it to the bosses (as the second one you said would come from the bottom).. And how I would reach 2M points as at lvl 19 I had 1.3M points only.... (I have a screen of this :P )

Thankfully you can win and with 1 knife as I won the second time with losing all my lives on the 2 bosses xD I barely made it xD

2 years ago

Yeah, once you get powered up, you can kill almost everything on the screen. If you look at my sample win, I have almost 4M points. :D

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

Also, thanks again for the yearly event. I appreciate the effort!

2 years ago

i've reached the 2,000,000 points
and have a screenshot , do i post it here?

[EDIT] i just read i need to die to get the codes , i just reached the top score and left it paused in case i fucked up

2 years ago*

Yes, it will show you all of your train codes as well as your score on the game over screen. But keep going to beat level 20 to enter for the Grand Prize!

2 years ago

Full set bump~

Twas fun playing, thanks a lot ^_^

2 years ago

I can't launch the game. It gives me a white screen and then it closes.

2 years ago

Hmmm...weird. What are you running it on?

2 years ago

Windows 10

2 years ago

Huh, yeah, that's what I built it on and was the basis for all testing.

I guess first things first...since you're the only one this is happening to, let's double-check that you don't have something going on like some basic data corruption. Maybe try deleting all of the unpacked files and the original zip, download it again and unzip it to a new folder, and give it another shot.

I did have one other player that couldn't get it to start earlier (but had a different result on the screen), and once they unzipped the game to a fresh folder, everything worked just fine. We may as well try that here too. :)

2 years ago

I tried this and still doesn't work.

2 years ago

So your entire screen turns white? Or just the window for the game?

If it's the entire screen, that may suggest an issue with a video driver, although that would still be strange for a little game like this. I mean, this thing uses next to no resources. It should run just fine on a potato computer. I developed it on my big gaming rig (with nVidia-based GPU), but I also tested it on an old (like eight years old) gen three Surface Pro (Intel-based GPU), and it ran fine both places.

Any chance your anti-virus is doing anything to it? We did have one person with Norton, and it didn't like the unsigned exe (can't do anything about that...its the generic AGK exe), so they had to add it to the exception list, and then it ran fine.

2 years ago

Only the game window turns white. I've checked Windows Defender Firewall but I couldn't find the game on the allowed apps and features list.

2 years ago

And it says nothing at all? Just pure white?

2 years ago

Everything changed when I reached lvl 20. Also, you definitely need to ask whoever wins for a screenshot, because what's in that file is visible to the blind; otherwise, a cheater could easily get away with it.

2 years ago

Yup, screenshots are right in the rules. The Grand Prize and all premium ones (so at least the last 5 or so of Train 4) will be required to provide screen shots, and I'll spot-check at least 10 others. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

And yeah, level 20...that double boss thing is a lot tougher than the pretty-dang-easy earlier bosses. :)

2 years ago

I had to limit the FPS in order to have a chance, but I eventually finished it. Still, it was just as fun as the previous one!

Thank you for this event, and for the giveaways! :D

2 years ago

You're welcome! Yeah, if you have a super-high refresh rate...man, this thing gets hard. I'm just cruising around 60Hz most of the time, so it's all very reasonable for me.

Good luck with the GAs!

2 years ago

Man, I've got to the boss with everything, and almost lose. Glad I didn't, tho

2 years ago

After a bunch of tries I got to the final boss, and did not expect the bottom guy, that got me when I was about 3/4 done with him :( Still, happy about the trains. Thank you !

2 years ago

You're welcome! Take another run at that final boss later. Once you find a good spot on the screen where it's a bit easier to dodge the shots from two directions, you'll get through it with only taking a few hits. ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ‘

2 years ago

Bump

2 years ago

Bump!

2 years ago

bump
only got to level 10 before I reduced the Hz, the ghosts that flanked me took all my knives hahaha also the last time I had to fiddle with Hz was a really long time ago when I needed to run some emulated thing

2 years ago

Yeah, this event has been exposing the limitations of AGK. GameMaker has a specific setting for FPS in it and then uses that as the basis for your event timers. That's way easier to deal with.

2 years ago

BUMP an awesome thread UP!

2 years ago

i like this, good job

2 years ago

nice train, thank you!

2 years ago

2 years ago

Thanks for the train and the game! The final boss killed me seconds before he would have died. Will try that again.
Bump!

View attached image.
2 years ago

You're welcome! Yeah, once you locate a relatively safe spot on the screen, it's a lot easier to take down the double-boss.

2 years ago

Bump!

2 years ago

Yay!!! I remember you said you had been busy last year so I didn't want to bother you again asking if you planned another event. This is one of my favorite traditions.

2 years ago

๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’–

2 years ago

I am unsure about some of the mechanics...
firstly: do medals have any use? (At this moment, I suppose they recover life? because a bunch of time I was supposed to die but life just went back to full...)
And... the knife upgrades keep going back? Is that time based... or life based... or... ?
btw: great idea for the train! Also it is something "useful"to do while my work is not asking my attention :)

2 years ago

Ok!
Found out the answers in one of the giveaways :)
Ignore the previous msg and consider it a double bump! o/

2 years ago

Ah yes, the medals...I described them in the help section in the game, but forgot to add it to the instructions in the post above. The medals are awarded when you clear a level. Every 5 medals gets you an extra life if you need it. :)

Whenever your power bar hits zero, you lose one power-up (knife) level...if you're at power-up level one, you lose a life. So, a good strategy is to always be paying attention to your power bar...if you're at the top power-up level (7 - five shots forward, two sideways, three back) and your power bar on the right is low, be on the lookout for your next power-up to drop. When it does, hurt yourself on purpose to drop one level (but have a full power bar), and then grab the power-up. Magic! Now you're back to power-up level 7, but with a full power bar. :)

2 years ago

Bump :)

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.