Well I continue with my weekly 2016 puzzles, This one I am actually creating on time this week. So it will end, as per normal, next Monday at 11pm GMT.

This is a puzzle that I call "SIMPLE ADDITION"

And it is at the bottom of this post (the attached image)

I think that this week's puzzle is a little bit easier than last weeks, but again it requires thinking outside the box.
The prize this week is Goskurry (http://store.steampowered.com/app/335090/)
Good luck
Mikalye

View attached image.
View attached image.
8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Solution
The title SIMPLE ADDITION is written out in 3x5 blocks of cells, suggesting that the shape of the 3x5 cells below might be important. If you look closely, each 3x5 grid consists of two different digits, and one of the digits is arranged in the shape of another, larger digit. You know that you need to do some “simple addition”. If you add the two digits in each grid to the large digit whose shape is formed, you get an answer ranging from 1 (0+0+1) to 26 (9+9+8) and convert using A=1, B=2, etc. You get the message:
The code this time is three eight d i uppercase x good luck

8 years ago*

First post by a different user than OP, and first bump.

8 years ago

Badabump for the awesome puzzles of Mikalye!

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 8 years ago.

8 years ago

Citrinate found a bug in the puzzle. He was very kind to point it out.
The corrected image has now replaced the original. He was good enough to delete his comment, let someone be able to use the difference between the original and the fix as a help, but if you are using the image that was up for the first 50 minutes or so of this puzzle, then be aware that there was a bug. Thanks again to Citrinate.

8 years ago*

solved bump

8 years ago

Bump for solved!

8 years ago

Bump for uncertain about 2nd part.

8 years ago

Bump for probably stuck at the same place

8 years ago

Hmmm.... I am a bit puzzled. There isn't really a second part.
Step 1 convert each 3 by 5 block into a number
Step 2 convert each number into a letter using a fairly obvious and traditional mechanism
Step 3 read the message

8 years ago

You know I find this really interesting. SilentGuy has got to be one of the best puzzle solvers I've seen on this site (often I'm left in awe how quickly he can solve some things), but it shows how people's mind work in different ways. My bet is that SilentGuy has gone for an ultra complex methodology to solving your "SIMPLE ADDITION" puzzle.

8 years ago

Thanks, I consider my self not bad a puzzling but that it high praise :-D Guess I make up for my lack in social skills with a knack for puzzling :-P

Hm, I feel like I went with something totally obvious... either I ran into a trap or I'm missing something.

8 years ago

Don't worry - social interaction can be puzzling at the best of times!
=oÞ

Good to see you get the solve.

8 years ago

The fairly obvious and traditional mechanism just doesn't click for me. :) Are you saying each number or each digit translates into a letter? Because I can't think of a cipher that uses both 1 and 9 digits.

Edit: Never mind, just slapped my forehead now and solved it, working on decoding it. >.<

8 years ago*

I guess I did not complete step one properly then... cause i can't apply a sensible step 2... Hmmm...

8 years ago*

Uh, I am not intending to be a combo breaker here but I am stuck at the same part. I can't relate 9 digits with an alphabet of 26 letters. I have been trying for the last two hours. Also tried every possible addition and multiplication, I suppose.

8 years ago*

The title (and the title illustration) should help you here. Each 3 by 5 block will yield a number in a much larger range than 1-9.

8 years ago*

Bump for cool puzzle!

8 years ago

Thanks Starlynk, that is very kind.

8 years ago

Bump for solved!

8 years ago

The illustrated title is a hint as to the correct approach

8 years ago

Hint: Each 3 by 5 block will resolve into a single letter.

8 years ago

View attached image.
8 years ago

Solved for bump. :) Finally.

8 years ago

This annoys me almost more then not getting it ;-)

8 years ago

If you hadn't replied to my comment, I probably would have forgotten about it and not have solved it. ;)

8 years ago

Bump for solved (with hints though).

8 years ago

I'm such an idiot. I had the right idea (not from the start but one of the many things I tried) but in all my trying around the excel sheet i used for calculations did not do what i thought it did any more, so i did not notice it

8 years ago*

Only a couple of hours to go. At 11pm GMT this puzzle will close, and hopefully shortly after that I will post next week's puzzle "Let me make this perfectly clear" or some similar title that I am frantically trying to finish.

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.