I felt that it was a substantial event in my life and it requires its own thread for thoughtful conversation. Maybe next week I'll post a thread asking about what you think will be in the next Humble Bundle instead of waiting a few hours for the bundle to go live.

If you came here for a level 3+ giveaway with a SGTools check that ends next Friday, then I am afraid you are out of luck...

Bumps would be appreciated even though this thread has no meaning.

Edit: Okay! I've read your feedback on how to craft a better thread! Here are my thoughts on the Steam controller:

It's a great controller! I've only ever used the 360 and Dualshock 3 controllers, so I have no idea how well the XBone and DS4 controllers work and feel. However, the Steam controller feels great. Every game I've played so far feels comfortable, including Dark Souls III! The two buttons on the back really help in fast combat games where both thumbs are on the control stick/touchpads.

The control stick is top notch. My biggest gripe with the Dualshock 3 controller is how big the radius that the control stick can move is. That made inputs such as half-circles in fighting games much more difficult for me. The Steam controller's smaller radius for the control stick means more accurate and quicker inputs - I've tested this with Skullgirls!

The shoulder buttons are great! Especially the L2 and R2 triggers. They have two levels of input, soft push and normal push where the button clicks. I haven't gotten them to work well yet since most of my inputs have been detected as soft, but I'm sure playing around with the settings will eventually make this feature very usable.

The touchpads- oh the touchpads. They're better than I expected. Thumbs slide across them smoothly. They give off small and soft vibrations when you touch them. Like the rest of the controller, they're very customizable.

The complaint I've heard about the most is the plastic used for the controller. People say it feels cheap. But it doesn't feel much different from my 360 controllers. It has decent weight to it as well. I'd say the PS3 controller feels much cheaper.

All the Steam games I've tested so far work well as long as Big Picture Mode is on. I've went ahead and tested it with some non-Steam applications, including the famous Wii/GCN emulator "Dolphin". I'd argue that this is the best controller you can find if you are into emulating older console games.

Also the controller plays a little sound every time it turns on. <3

Overall, it's a very solid controller. It's definitely not for everyone, and I bought it purely for the novelty and thought it'd get old after a few hours, but nope! I will be using it for all my PC gaming from now on

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

What kind of thread should I make next?

View Results
Humble Bundle Anticipation© Thread
One about the time I got scammed
Potato
Ironic Shitposting is Still Shitposting

So, how was it? Do you like it? I'm planning to buy one myself if the controller ever comes to Malaysia in the near future. Or, is it here already? I'm out of the loop for the current tech scene :c

7 years ago

actually I was also thinking about buying the SteamController. But the prize seems so high. If you have it, could you tell us about it?

7 years ago

Definitely, sure, if I could get my hands on one soon. Personally I think the design looks really cool and the trackpads on each side is a nice gimmick, although I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing with regards of how controllers goes. Could take some time getting used to it but I'm open for trying out new stuff. Also, my old 360 controller is showing it's age now anyways :c

7 years ago

Thread updated :3

7 years ago

Now, THAT's a solid wall of text! Much appreciated! Sounds positive so far and the touchpads really do intrigue me. Even if it's minor, the cheap plastic feel doesn't sound too good since it remind me of the old DualShock 3 controller. I hope the weight compensate that.

Anyways, good stuff and now I can't wait to get my hands on one!

7 years ago

the question was for OP. I was just "suscribing" your petition. ;-)

7 years ago

Awwh, now that's a little embarassing.. Oh well, now you know what's my take on the new controller :P

7 years ago

Thread updated :3

7 years ago

Why you think it is not for everyone?? it is big? It seemed bigger than a 360 controller

7 years ago

It's just a tad bigger than the 360 controller. The middle doesn't curve in as much as the 360 controller, giving the illusion of a much larger controller.

Ever used the Wii U pro controller (picture attached)? The button placement is fairly awkward until you get used to it. I heard that people who mainly use the 360 controller experience more difficulty getting used to it. Despite this, I wholeheartedly believe everyone should try the Steam controller at least once (and eventually purchase it) because it truly is a great controller.

View attached image.
7 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the info! :D

7 years ago

I recent brought one steam controller (along with a steam link) from amazon and had it shipped to my country (Singapore). I can say i quite liked it, especially the touchpad, it kind of like macbook touchpad having a vibrational feedback. The only downside is the customization of this controller require steam big picture mode.
On side note, i do not like the analog as much, i probably not gonna use it too often until i get a thumbstick cover.

7 years ago

Oh, cool. How much does it cost you in total, including the shipping fees and all? I love it when more and more people are confirming that the touchpads are awesome, although Big Picture exclusive mode doesn't sound as good to me now. What's wrong with the analog? Is it just preferences or is it like to stiff or something like that?

7 years ago

i used free delivery option (available if spending more than usd 125), so it cost me ard 150 usd for both link and controller + 1 filler item... (steam controller and steam link are around USD 50 each)
Amazon Link

Well for the analog stick, it feel too rubbery for me (and i am quite paranoid that the rubber will come off like the Dualshock 4 controller), which is why i prefer to get a cover for it.

7 years ago

Thanks for the link! I might just bite the bullet this coming summer break. Hopefully everything went well and I don't have anything that requires too much money later on ._.

Hmm I never tried DS4 controllers yet but I guess that does pose a concern especially after heavy use. I'll keep that in mind.

7 years ago

Why don't you tell us your experience with your Steam controller? I don't necessarily like Steam's merchandise.

7 years ago

So is the steam controller any good?

7 years ago

Here I was planning to be thoughtful and meaningful, but your final words got to me. I'll bide my time holding fast to your promise of questioning the next humble bundle

7 years ago

why not using some other controller like the ps4 or xbox controller ?

7 years ago

I hope you like your purchase. :)

7 years ago

bump ;)

7 years ago

It is good ? I'm using now the ps4 controller with imput mapper and it works really well but I wanted to buy the steam controller :) Tell us about your experience! :D

7 years ago

Seems potato enough.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

7 years ago

I'm thinking of getting one myself this summer (probably together with my civ 6 pre order (if I decide to pre order that is)). It's great to hear that's a good one!

But when it comes down to games that are great to play with a controller (racing games for example), is this one better then say a xbox 360 controller or are they on par? Also, will this controller play well along games like Just Cause 3? I'm personally not a big fan of using controllers in games like that because I just hate the aiming with those sticks, but if this one improves that, it would be amazing.

7 years ago

I've only tested "The Talos Principle" with the Steam controller so far. I'm not great at FPS games, but I do admit that I feel the Steam controller is the most accurate controller if you want to aim. Of course, don't expect it to be as perfect as a mouse :P

7 years ago

Good to hear! Now I'll definitely get one!

7 years ago

i'm highly interested in steam controller because it supposedly works with strategy games.
How does the controller work with strategy games?

7 years ago

The right touchpad can work as a mouse. The right trigger, by default, is set to click in desktop mode. I assume that would be the case with strategy games, but I haven't tried any yet since I prefer action games :P

7 years ago

Intriguing. Mice were always a bit cumbersome for relaxed gaming- this may be a better option, if the responsiveness [as a mouse cursor] is fluid enough. =O
Thanks for the info #FromAStrategyGamer ^.^

7 years ago

I personally think that it won't be as accurate as a mouse (no experience with it though). So depending on the game, a mouse might still be a better option. I personally love Total War and there you need to move around with the mouse very quickly and be able to click pretty fast. In turn based stuff it's probably good to use though.

7 years ago

So, you don't need the Steam "Console" to use the controller, you can plug-and-play into PC same as a 360/One controller?
If that's the case, I may need to give it a closer look.. =O

7 years ago

Yes you do not need a steam machine/ console/ link to use the controller, it can function just well on Window 7/8/10 pc.
However you do need to use steam big picture mode to configure the setting of your controller.

7 years ago

The wireless adapter works very well on regular PCs, but you can also plug in a micro usb for a wired connection.

As DarkImpaleX says, you need big picture mode to configure the settings but the controller is mapped to different parts of your keyboard/mouse in desktop mode so some games still work even without BPM.

7 years ago

BUMPY

7 years ago

(bump)
I was able to get hands on that controller at work. What I liked most was the touch feedback of the controller.
I just own a Logitech F310 - keeping my eyes open for a good sale. :)

7 years ago

Bump!

7 years ago

Bump!

7 years ago

i never got the hang of using any controller other then PS 2-4 once, xbox controllers feel so awkward in fighting games like naruto.
and steam controller has weird layout for buttons which annoys me the most.
so ill pass since i have ps4 controller ( can be customized like steam controller )

7 years ago

To each their own :)

There were a lot of games I never played with my PS3 controller and always opt'd for keyboard because the control sticks' radius of movement were too big, and the sticks are slightly taller than the average controller's. Also the triggers weren't the greatest thing in the world either.

7 years ago

Bamf

7 years ago

By solid you mean the layout, aswell as a bigger range of titles it could be used on, i can understand that, for me it all comes down to how many years i've used PS controllers, i just couldn't play any other way.
If be solid you mean the material, i have to disagree it's the cheapest looking thing i've ever touched

7 years ago

bump to increase karma

7 years ago

While I'm interested in trying one out, it's not something I'm going to be buying. I'd rather stick with my 360 controller, until the left analog stick finally gives out (it's getting close =( ). When that happens, well, I'll just start using my PS3 controller, I suppose. Or, I may try to repair the thing.

Anyway, bump!

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.