Hello everyone,

I am a developer of "The Christmas Gifts", an indie game that is just launched on Steam with an introductory discount of 30% off.
Steam page is: https://store.steampowered.com/app/897420/The_Christmas_Gifts/

About The Game: The Christmas Gifts is a 2D Old School Christmas Themed Action Platformer based on the story of a boy named Kim who is in search of his gifts which got stolen from his garden.

If you have any queries or suggestions please feel free to let me know in the comments below and I will reply to all of you. Thanks for taking your time to check this game out! I hope you will enjoy it.

Happy Gaming!

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deal?

View Results
It's not the Christmas time. Also, it's not my type of game. Pass.
I'm not sure. Maybe.
Yes!

Great game, happy to see indians in the game development industry, Anek bhalo. :)

5 years ago

Wow! Thanks! : )

5 years ago

Missed opportunity for The Halloween Candy

5 years ago

Best of luck in a tough industry. Not my type of game but I hope you do ok with it :-)

5 years ago

Thank you very much for the encouragement! :) I agree with you. It is a tough industry and it is even harder for solo developers such as myself.

5 years ago

Yep I know as I have family members in the same industry as you. Just getting noticed is tough enough!

5 years ago

That's true! The market is already saturated.

5 years ago

Got a copy!

5 years ago

Thank you very much for your support! I hope you will enjoy the game. :)

5 years ago

Good luck fellow dev!

5 years ago

Thank you for the encouragement! :)

5 years ago

Would have bought if there was Mac support. Also would have preferred a Halloween themed game.

5 years ago

Looks like he's got you covered.

5 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out. Still no Mac support, but might buy it anyway if/when it gets a sale for the day when I eventually do have a PC again.

5 years ago

No problem, I just found it amusing. :)

5 years ago

It's good to see self promotion on Steamgifts! Keep up the good work!

5 years ago

Thank you! :)

5 years ago

If you have any queries or suggestions please feel free to let me know

Make a giveaway

5 years ago

Well, since the game is just released I have no plan to arrange giveaways at the moment but I will consider it in the future. Thank you for your understanding! :)

5 years ago

You also created NightmareZ? I enjoyed the game, however I don't think its worth buying on steam if it gets bundled 15 times later for an average of $0.05 a key ;)

5 years ago

Yeah, I created it. It was my first game and I was a newcomer to Steam. Bundling the game so many times was a mistake. My first game had failed financially so I had to bundle it to fund my following project. Due to a high expectation from the product, which most of the new developers have, I went through depression and anxiety for about a year which I finally overcame while working on Keatz game. But there is no denying the fact that I had learned a lot of new skills and it was not possible if I did not make NightmareZ. Also, the game's value decreases over time anyway.

Thanks for your support! I am glad that you enjoyed it. :)

5 years ago*

Jesus that's harsh. Good luck for your (future) project(s)!

5 years ago

Hey, Thank you very much! :)

5 years ago

I have no plan to arrange giveaways at the moment

View attached image.
5 years ago

Bought a copy good luck with your developments!

5 years ago

Thank you very much for your support! :) I hope you will enjoy it.

5 years ago

its a flash game lol

5 years ago

So is half of the games on Steam. Your point?

5 years ago

they shouldn't exist in my opinion

5 years ago

I am really sorry to hear that. I know that this game might appeal to a small group of audience and it is not for everyone. I have put my heart and soul into making it. :(
Well, this game exists for those who enjoy it. Working solo on every aspect of the game(pixel artwork, character design, animation, programming, storytelling, testing, level design) and then self-publishing and promotion(getting noticed among the masses) is hard and I've tried my best to make it as good as possible.

Thanks for your opinion by the way and thanks for checking it out! :)

5 years ago*

Hmm, member of 8 months, thirty comments posted (10 of which are in this thread, at the time of this reply).
No giveaways entered, no giveaways made. At least one advertisement.
I'm going to hazard a guess that the other comments were related to advertising your games, and replies relating to that.
Given that it seems you're a member of this community in name alone, I'm dunno if advertising your game here sits very well with me IMO.

Regarding your games, you obviously have a grasp of the basics, but the low price-point shows a recognition of the depth/quality of the product you're putting out. I hope you don't take that personally, because I appreciate that there are some surprisingly fun games out there that sell for very cheap, so the market can be pretty tough even if your appeal isn't primarily "This costs almost nothing". The steam profile bound to your account here has only hit the milestone for owning more than 10 games, and at a brief glance your products seem to be simple platformers. Unless you do all your gaming away from steam, it seems a safe bet to suggest that you aren't very interested in gaming, or prefer only browser-based or mobile gaming. I think a great first step towards increasing the appeal of your games would be to actually play more games yourself, and give them a fair shake. Try different genres, figure out where their appeal may be, try to interpret how the mechanics interact, and how you might spice up a basic platforming game with them. Remembering what made a game fun (or what made the controls or visuals just feel 'right') can be tricky when you're down in the coding trenches, but sometimes you need to step back and try a different perspective. By the end of a project, if you can't sit and play your game for 30 minutes without stark boredom, then either the formula needs adjusting, or you simply don't enjoy playing games (and could definitely use some neutral playtesters unafraid to be (tactfully) honest to steer you in the right direction)

Unless of course you're creating games for the joy of simply creating games, in which case pardon my criticism and presumption. I guess there is a certain fun just pulling the pieces together and seeing it all work out, but from a players perspective the end result may not translate any of that joy over to the player, y'know? That said, it's entirely possible to get crippled by the design-phase and constantly adjusting things before they even take shape. Just being able to finish a project and get it to work as intended is a step higher than a lot of aspirants manage. The next step is fostering your passion for the result, and driving yourself towards something greater.

Good luck, but perhaps consider becoming part of the community if you want to use us as an advertising platform. You don't have to make or enter giveaways, but participation in banter and discussion beyond selling your product may go a fair ways towards building trust and generating more proper feedback.

5 years ago*

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback man, I really appreciate it! I am not playing too many games these days and it is true and I feel like I should expand my skills and knowledge to make something beyond the platformer genre. But I actually like this genre too and trying to learn a lot about it before I move on to making a game for a different genre. Each time I am creating a game I am learning a lot of new stuff and moving forward like one step at a time. I am making games because I really enjoy the process of making it and I have already got addicted to it.

The reason behind pricing my game pretty low is to get my game in the hands of as many players as possible. I know how hard it is to sell a game being an unknown indie game developer. I am here to make a name for myself. Making money is secondary to me and I am pretty much aware of the fact that I need funding to continue working on my projects. Low pricing for me really works to some extent. Pricing higher might reduce the chance for most of the people to give the game a chance. (which happens quite a lot in the current state of the industry). Moreover, I am gaining experience and learning a lot of stuff and finishing a game to get in the hands of the players throughout the whole world. I am really proud of that because I have put so much effort into it and it is good to see my imaginations come to life through this game.

Sometimes, being a solo developer with limited skills it is almost impossible to make a game which you would love to play. For some developers, playing and making a game are different things. That means the game of a genre which I love to play is different from the genre I like to make a game for. I obviously love gaming and that's the very reason why I started a career as a game developer. This is because of my love for games. I played a lot of games outside of Steam(mainly bought physical copies from local shops, do you remember F.E.A.R, Quake games?) and I have been a gamer for more than 10 years and spent thousands of hours playing games including AAA and indie games. What a team of developers can make (which is probably a greater scoped project which requires a higher production budget) is almost impossible for solo developers to make. Even if it is possible it will take at least four or five years which is a pretty hard thing to keep up with when you have no day job.

Since I am a solo game developer, I have my own strengths and weaknesses and I am pretty aware of that. I am a self-taught programmer but a professionally trained artist and the most important thing I like in a game is storytelling. Each of my game might be simple in terms of game mechanics, design but has different stories attached to it. However, I am really pushing myself to go beyond my limit and it will definitely take years to get to the level of perfection.

Yeah, I would love to participate in the discussions with a lot of awesome people of this community. But making games is half the battle. There is a lot of work involved in publishing, and promotion which is insanely time-consuming and I am still trying to answer all of you as soon as possible while I am working on patches of this game and old releases. Building trust takes time and hopefully, people come to know me through my work someday probably.

Thanks for your input! What you have said is absolutely true and is really encouraging to read. I am always open to any feedback or suggestions as my intention is to create the best possible games for the Steam community. It is an awesome learning experience for me. Thank you!

5 years ago*

thank you for reaching out to this community.
It can't be easy for you to have your game stand out of the constant stream of other 'games' being added to steam.

5 years ago

Yeah, no kidding. Look at the number of upcoming releases every single day on Steam.

5 years ago

it sound good, just bought it

5 years ago

Hi, Thank you very much for your support! Happy Gaming! :)

5 years ago

Did you had all your games already made or are you really making 1 game per month?
Just saw you had 2 upcoming this year, and one out recently, but your games barely got reviews and if there are it's not always good, i mean why not focusing on those first, go for quality instead of quantity.

5 years ago

I can't really see with the short video sections if you're using parallax scrolling but very slowly or not at all, but that would be a fairly simple yet pretty impactful addition to your future games if they take place outside. It's really simple, just make background layers move with the player, but slower - the farther the landscape is in the background, the slower it will move. So trees closer with like 0.8 speed, mountain in the back with 0.3ish or something like that. I'm sure you can find further online guides about it and how to set it up with your gamemaker.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago by Deleted-4008671.