"
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the January Update is the final content update for Gigantic, and the game servers will be discontinued on July 31, 2018. The journey over these last few years was met with outstanding support from our players and we are all very proud of the incredible experience Gigantic is today. The team wants to give a big shout out to our awesome community - both those who have been with us since the beginning as well as those who just picked up the game recently. We want to extend our sincere gratitude to everyone who gave Gigantic a chance.

For all the amazing folks who continue to play and show passion for Gigantic, all Heroes will be FREE as the purchasing of Rubies and Hero Packs have been disabled. This includes our newest hero, T-Mat! Currency will still be rewarded in-game, and any Crowns or Rubies gained by an account will remain available to purchase Shop items at discounted prices. You can read more in our More details on all the changes can be found in our January Patch Notes[www.arcgames.com].

Discontinuing Gigantic was not an easy decision. The game is a unique and exciting experience that captured many hearts and minds. Unfortunately, it did not resonate with as many players as we’d hoped. Over the last several months, the teams at Motiga and Perfect World looked into viable options to sustain Gigantic. However, the current state of the game has restricted options for further progress and relevant content updates, and delivering basic features while also fixing long-standing issues was more complicated than expected. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to find an impactful solution that would help Gigantic break through in a crowded market.

Gigantic remains a labor of love to the Motiga and Perfect World teams who worked on the game. It pains us to let it go, and we cannot thank everyone enough who saw something special in Gigantic and its vision. We hope you continue to enjoy Gigantic until July 31st while the official servers remain online.

One last GIGANTIC thank you to our amazing community, and while the sails are up, we’ll see you on the airship!"
Link to the original announcement

Im sadly not exactly surprised by this, knowing that the MOBA market is just getting way too overcrowded with more of the same games and not enough playaerbase to attract but its still a shame seeing another community dying out and with it, many hours played and fun moments.

R.I.P Gigantic, see you on the other side.

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

It's a shame to see a community die. I didn't play personally, but I know what it's like when you spend years playing on a single game in a single community and then it all just breaks down. RIP Gigantic!

6 years ago

same

my heart kinda shattered when GITS Online got closed back in december 6, sadly for most of these games there is no revival. once they are killed, they are killed for good ><

6 years ago

GitS: SAC - FAO's (holy fuck, even the acronym is a mile long) demise was a good showcase why a publisher sometimes really needs to actually look at the damn product. They were paying for the development for six years, then when they finally officially released the thing, they shut it down in less than 6 months.
I mean, sure, it looked like the most generic blandest FPS in history that sold through a known IP instead of its own merit, but it was probably the fastest anyone abandoned a multiplayer-only game.

Although it seems this Gigantic game is a close contender now. Although I have no idea how accurate that last July release date is. Since I never heard about the game, it could have been in EA for a decade for all I know. :)

Coincidentally, I wonder how many more failed multiplayer-only games we will need to see until the realisation dawns on people that maybe it is not that lucrative of a concept the handful of known mega-hits make them out to be.
Although since it takes actual effort and creativity to design single-player content, I guess this cycle will not end soon.

6 years ago

I do agree with that, sadly Nexon isnt known for quality or even care for their lesser performing products.

Imho GITS had its own merit to it (while not 100 percent original, obviously). sadly that game just got butchered, which is quite ironic considering that Lawbreakers is still around (that has even less players overall than GITS had in its last months, even after the 2.0 patch).

"Coincidentally, I wonder how many more failed multiplayer-only games we will need to see until the realisation dawns on people that maybe it is not that lucrative of a concept the handful of known mega-hits make them out to be."

You just took the words out of my mouth, it feels like devs and publishers are constantly chasing on the concept of one succesful game, hoping they can magically replicate it á la chase for the WOW craze/ BR craze/zombie survival sandbox games craze/etc

As long as there is the premise of money behind it, they will keep up wih it, even if it means wasting many thousands of developing time and effort just to have failures of games that cannot manage with the big boys.

6 years ago

gigantic had some open beta phase 2-3years ago. later it went to win10 store. till today I am not even sure if it got a full release. they had strong problems to find players even for free.

they should have stopped 1.5 years ago when they realized, that they will not have enough players.

I don't think that the "community" is more than 100 people.

with Battleborn and gigantic we saw, that fps mobas don't work that well

6 years ago

I played for around 50 hours which is rare for me since I don't usually like Mobas. It was unique and fun and it's sad to see it go.

6 years ago

Not sure why these companies are unable to predict this outcome. I don't play them at launch because I know they'll end up just like this. There's "this could work and seems cool" and then there's the reality that requires a professional marketer to assess for them. Makes no sense to me.

6 years ago

Thank you for the news pal.

6 years ago

So sad to see this stuff happen. I've experienced it a few times, seeing a game I loved and enjoyed, gone. It's a rare feeling, the death of a perfect online space, a unique world you and other people shared.

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.