I know a number of questions have been asked about Half-Life 2 today, but I don't think this particular question has been asked.

So, I traded for Half-Life 2 a few days ago, and I've been enjoying it, so when I saw this sale, I thought I'd pick up Episode 1, Episode 2, and maybe Half-Life: Source. Then I looked at the page for the Complete pack, and I saw that it has Half-Life: Lost Coast. I'd read a bit about it, it's sort of an extra level/tech demo for Half-Life 2. But when I looked at Lost Coast's Steam Store page, it seems to say that the only way to get it is to buy Half-Life Complete. But I've already got the single biggest game in the set (and I've read that you don't get an inventory copy for the games you've already got), nor am I interested in Deathmatch or Team Fortress Classic, so I'd prefer to get the games piecemeal.

It also seems a bit strange that someone could in theory have bought every single game in the set, but still have to buy them all again to get the smallest game in the set. I guess this isn't a huge deal, but it bugs the completionist in me.

So, am I right that this is the only way to get Lost Coast, or is there something that I've missed here?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

There are exceptions to not getting extra inventory copies, and I think HL2 is one of them.

Edit: The support page says that you get an extra copy of HL2 if you buy the Orange Box or Valve Complete Pack. Nothing about HL2 Complete. So you might or might not.

1 decade ago

Right, I just saw that support page. I'm not sure, but if it doesn't list it, it probably wouldn't give it to you. Also, for what it's worth, this guy in the comments here says it doesn't.

1 decade ago

you could get half life lost coast for free durning portal 2 launch on some convention in valve booth

1 decade ago

I'm pretty certain you get it when you buy HL2, no matter what. I got mine with The Orange Box.

1 decade ago

Only when you buy it? I traded for a gift copy and didn't get it (just double checked my list of games to make sure).

1 decade ago

Depends on the gift copy. The bonus gifts you get from The Orange Box or similar will just be the main item. Straight from the store, you get the bonus stuff.

1 decade ago

Cool, that's making a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for clearing this up.

1 decade ago

I got it with episode 1, which is what it was packaged with on original release

1 decade ago

It also seems a bit strange that someone could in theory have bought every single game in the set, but still have to buy them all again to get the smallest game in the set.

That's the way Steam works. On several cases I bought game bundles where I already owned some of the games and the extra copies are just lost. It's annoying but that's the way it is.

1 decade ago

Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One will include it if they are regular copies. Spare gift copies from redeeming certain packs won't include it.

1 decade ago

Oh, well that's interesting. Maybe the one I traded for was originally from a pack of some sort? That would make sense, because it would seem kind of strange to make standard gift copies worse than just buying it. Then people would be oddly discouraged from giving gifts.

That would also mean I could just get Episode 1 and get Lost Coast with it. Thanks! :)

1 decade ago

No problem. That is what I did myself earlier today as I had Half-Life 2 gifted to me from a friend who had purchased The Orange Box. Mostly because some Half-Life 2 mods require the Episodes though. Not likely to play them, as I've completed them on 360.

1 decade ago

I own Lost Coast and I only have HL1's & HL2DM...

1 decade ago

Is HL1's Half-Life 1: Source or Half-Life 1? Interesting, seems it comes with a number of Half-Life games.

1 decade ago

Default Half Life, Half Life: Blue Shift and Half Life: Opposing Force.

1 decade ago

Oh, I get it.

1 decade ago

IIRC Lost Coast used to come in the Orange Box. Possibly it was also available en store for a while.

1 decade ago

When you redeemed HL2DM, via the ATI or Nvidia promo pages they use to run, you also got a copy of Lost Coast.

1 decade ago

I got mine from a box copy that included CS:S, DOD:S, HL2:Deathmatch, and HL2: Lost Coast, so there is certainly other ways of getting it. Not to mention what everyone else said so far.

1 decade ago

I only bought HL2 and got Lost Coast with it.

1 decade ago

I see, that corroborates with what Jade and DeltaBlade said, thanks.

1 decade ago

While I don't have an answer for you, HL2:LC isn't all that exciting. It really is just a tech demo level Valve release to show off the HRD that is in everything with decent graphics today but wasn't included with the original release of the Source engine. I'm sure you can see it on youtube and I know this explanation doesn't make up for it not being in your inventory, it's not something you should lose sleep over.

1 decade ago

Heh, yeah, I know it's short and tech demo-ish, but I still want to try it out...

Also, I think the above guys have straightened it out, so I'll try and sleep soundly tonight. :)

1 decade ago

I like how you think :P
I personally liked LC. It's pretty decent — a nice bite-sized piece of action and atmosphere. It's like the game equivalent of watching a trailer of a movie.

1 decade ago

Strictly speaking. If you interest in gaming development, or want to get some peak inside gaming industry or how valve work. Half Life 2: lost coast is about that.

But then, if you enjoy playing game with development commentary (which is included in most of Half Life 2 series, l4d, Portal) then you will enjoy lost coast as much as I do.

The concept, the philosophy, the logic, story behind the game structural. It is quite interesting and amazing.

1 decade ago

there also was a giveaway for NVidia and ATI Graphic card owners. You got Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast and Portal: The First Strike for free. This offer ran for years, but has now ended.

1 decade ago

This sounds familiar.
Also it's "Portal: The First Slice".

1 decade ago

no idea... copy/pasted it from a news page I found :)

1 decade ago

That's how I got HL2:DM and HL2:LC

1 decade ago

It was what got me on Steam in the first place.

1 decade ago

If you have HL2, just buy the episode 1 and 2 and you'll have all the HL2 related shit like deathmatch and lost coast.

1 decade ago

you will get loast coast by buying hl complete,valve complete pack or orange box

1 decade ago

I got it when I was gifted HL2. But it never showed up in my library. I had to go to the store page on my browser, using Enhanced Steam. Then I pressed "play now", and my client allowed me to install it.

1 decade ago

Yesterday I got (as in "bought") both eps and then I saw HL2 Deathmatch, Lost Coast and Deathmatch Source in my library as well.

1 decade ago

I just got Episode 1 and it did indeed come with Lost Coast and Deathmatch. :D

Thanks a lot for all the replies, they were really helpful.

1 decade ago

I wanted Half-Life: Source (the only thing I missed from the complete pack) so I had to buy the pack that also had Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, which I already owned.

1 decade ago

Dude, dude...
Calm your tits, lost coast is a 15 minute tech demo. You are not missing out on anything. I think you can get it for free if you get both episodes anyway.

1 decade ago

1. Despite my avatar, I am calm.
  2. I know it's 15 minutes long.
  3. I still wanted it.
  4. You're right, it does come with Half-Life Episodes, as several kind people above informed me.
  5. I got Episode 1 a few hours ago, and it did indeed come with Lost Coast.
  6. Regrettably, I have no tits.
1 decade ago

My cousin got that game from a Cs-source pack i bought in Spain like 6 years ago

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Richie.