yeap
(⁀ ▽ ⁀ )

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

93.6% pirated copies doesn't mean 93.6% loss in sales :)

1 decade ago

Wouldn't Stardock be bankrupt years ago?

1 decade ago

Ooga Booga, an old Dreamcast game based on fighting other people by throwing shrunken heads at them, had copy-protection that, if you loaded it up and it detected it was pirated, would cause a big dancing pirate to appear on the screen and say "AHOY THERE, WHALE-BOY."

I thought it was awesome.

(When it was cracked, the crackers left it in because it was so funny -- they just let you push a button to continue past it.)

1 decade ago

The true irony is that they pirated their game (idea) in the first place.

1 decade ago

sad that those pirates didn't even get the hint. If I would steal a game about making games, and I'd get a game over because of piracy I'd feel the sting.

1 decade ago

Maybe because they didn't pirate. The devs distributed the game via torrent....

1 decade ago

...while offering the game on their website so people could also buy the game.

1 decade ago

But it's a different game with different features. And why does that matter? Devs of McPixel released their game on TPB as well. They also offered the game on their website so people could buy. That's not what I was arguing anyways. I'm saying it's not pirating because the devs themselves were the ones who distributed the game.

1 decade ago

yes they did. Devs released a different version of the game on torrent. So those who bought it wouldn't have to complain about "piracy affecting their gameplay". The piracy problem only exists on the version distributed via torrent.

1 decade ago

Do you see the key point? The devs released a different version of the game on torrent. Hence the people who downloaded this version are not pirates.

1 decade ago

If the altered version is labeled as the full version, these people did intend to pirate the full version. The fact that they downloaded an altered version is beside the point.

1 decade ago

It's not about whether it's the full version or not. It's about the devs of the game releasing the torrent, thereby giving implicit permission to download the game. Whether the downloaders do or do not know who uploaded the torrent does not matter - the fact that the devs did is key.

1 decade ago

The funny thing is the devs are the only ones that bothered to upload their shitty game to TPB

1 decade ago

Very nice. They did what most pirates want: released a demo version that can be downloaded easily. I think that their error was that they didn't make that message would after a while open a web browser with their store so that people would get a hint.

1 decade ago

It's not fair though that they say they got 90% piracy. They uploaded it themselves. It might have been different if they hadn't done so. But I guess it got them the attention they wanted.

1 decade ago

Really nice idea, the gained my support doing this, I tried the demo too and I think I want that game :D

1 decade ago

Still perfer the one garry did :P

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by raggedy.