Milano-Sanremo

How it works

Predict who is going to win the race; that's all. :)

Entries close when the race starts (Saturday morning).

Race Preview

The longest race of all the classics (291 km) has been for the sprinters in recent years but there's always going to be fireworks on the Cipressa and Poggio. The list of possible winners is long, even if we lost a few due to injuries (Gaviria, Degenkolb, Nizzolo).

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia

Favorites

• Last year's winner (and winner of the Tirreno-Adriatico last week) Michal Kwiatkowski is certainly favorite again. It's been quite a while since anyone successfully defended their title at Sanremo (2001). Can he do it?
  • Peter Sagan never won this race, which is quite strange considering his talents. He wasn't happy about how he lost last year but he should admit that the smarter man won. Looking at his third World Championship victory in Bergen last year, he might have learned this; will his attacking nature get the better of him and unleash an attack on the Poggio or will he stick to the wheel of another favorite till 200 metres before the finish?
  • Quick-Step Floors; might as well list three favorites under one heading, Team Quick-Step Floors has just such a raft of absolutely amazing cyclists. If Fernando Gaviria hadn't been out with an injury then they would have started the race with four guys who all can win here. Left are: Julian Alaphilippe who finished second last year and second in quite a few other classics. Will this be his first win? Elia Viviani; an Italian sprinter on his home soil who can likely just stay in the pack and hope the bigger names will tire each other out. Philippe Gilbert; not the first name you'd think of when you say Milano-Sanremo but he's finished on the podium here before. And he has very much set his sights on this one as it's one of two monuments he hasn't won yet. Count on his team being fully behind him on trying to complete this legendary set.
  • Sonny Colbrelli; see Elia Viviani. :p
  • 2016 winner Arnaud Démare came out of nowhere (this wasn't thought of as his kind of race) and was quite the surprise result; a second victory would show it wasn't a fluke.
  • 2014 winner Alexander Kristoff certainly is a classics rider but it's been quite a while since his last major victory.
  • Greg Van Avermaet hasn't looked great yet this season but he's starting here and that means he's a potential winner.
  • Sunweb starts with Michael Matthews who is back from a shoulder injury with Tom Dumoulin in support though he had a nasty crash in the Tirreno-Adriatico last week.
  • There are a lot more sprinters who could surprise here (Marcel Kittel's been winning last week, Mark Cavendish unfortunately crashed but is starting) and also quite a few riders who will try for it on the Pogio (Vincenzo Nibali and Gianni Moscon; just to name two Italian possibilities).

Giveaway

Steam Giveaway
Nanoborg https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/fdLvA/
HellAngel https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/4lDu1/
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I'll go with Philippe Gilbert. It would be nice if he manages to win the 5 monuments of cycling.

6 years ago

Lance Armstrong?

6 years ago

Kwiatkowski!

6 years ago

Nacer Bouhanni

It's San Remo, not "Sanremo"!

6 years ago

According to the Italians it's actually Sanremo; see their official site or Wikipedia. :)

6 years ago

Hoping for more luck for Peter Sagan this year.

6 years ago

Peter Sagan.

Btw did you see Nokere Koerse this week with winner Fabio Jakobsen?

6 years ago

I didn't see it but I read about it; it was very impressive!

6 years ago

They aired it on één and it was a nice race to watch. :-)

6 years ago

Michal Kwiatkowski

6 years ago

I'll go for Magnus Cort Nielsen! :)

6 years ago

Safe option: Michal Kwiatkowski

6 years ago

gonna go with a guess Alexander Kristoff

6 years ago

Not a bad choice if it will come to a sprint. :-)

6 years ago

I know nothing about this stuff to be honest, just picked a name. :D

6 years ago

The previous editions of Milano-Sanremo have been decided quit a few times by a sprint while Alexander Kristoff is a sprinter and not a bad one. ^^

6 years ago

Michal Kwiatkowski

6 years ago

I'm afraid he will be outsmarted again by someone, but out of fandom I'l go with Sagan :)). Really, lots of guys could win this, it's surely the most unpredictable classic.

6 years ago

It's the Handzame Classic today. :-)

6 years ago

Another prize for Quick-Step Floors!

6 years ago

And most probably plenty to come!

6 years ago

I'll play it save. Michal Kwiatkowski

6 years ago

6 years ago

Vincenzo Nibali, just before the peleton sprint! ^^

What a race.

6 years ago

I wish I had been home to see it.

I'm not a fan of Nibali but he sure keeps on winning.

6 years ago

I watched it on één and it was a nice race to follow. Nibali was not only strong today but also smart.

6 years ago

Yeah, he usually waits till the right moment.

I'm gonna watch the highlights in a bit and see what I missed.

6 years ago

Enjoy and have a nice Sunday.

6 years ago

No sun and buckets of rain in Milano-Sanremo today.

6 years ago

BTW, what does the "MI", "PV", "AL", "GE", "SV", and "IM" stand for in the second picture?

6 years ago

Those are the abbreviations for the provinces that they go through. The first one is Milan and the last one is Imperia.

6 years ago

Ah, thanks. Yes that makes sense!

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.