Hello there, Not too long ago i had a thread on here about a potential build for my gaming pc but now that things have changed and im starting to have money come in i had decided i want an upgrade on my CPU. It was Originally a FX 6300

Anyways my question is. Will i be able to run a AMD FX 8320 and a Nvidia GTX 750 OC card on just a 550w Psu or no.

This is what i plan on having in my pc build but i just wasnt sure if i would have enough Juice lol.

here is a more specific list of what i intend to buy and put in for the time being:

• AMD FX 8320 Black edition
  • Nvidia GTX 750 OC 2gb vram
  • Gigabyte GA-970-D3P (already purchased)
  • Seagate 1TB desktop HDD (already purchased)
  • Corsair Vengeance (2x4 Gb) 8Gb 1600mhz Ram
  • Logisys Corp. 550W power supply
  • Windows 8.1
9 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

NewEgg has a power supply calculator. Might I recommend that?

9 years ago

oh cool, thanks for the info, since i am buying some of my parts there ill give it a shot

9 years ago

No problem. Good luck with your build!

9 years ago

so i looked, i wasnt sure if my MOBO was a High end or regular, they also didnt have the GPU i want but i did the GTX 760 Ti just to see and i came out at just under 500W

9 years ago

better spend a bit more on the power supply. the 550 watt is approx. what you need but better quality would be advisable. be quiet is quite good ( although bit more expensive) but eats less energy

9 years ago

be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 530 Watt

should be enough but i am not so familliar with amd cpu ( only heard they are a bit more energy consuming)

9 years ago

550W might be enough but not with THAT power supply. That is a cheap PSU, don't expect very much for $25. Choose a better brand: Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or something like that.

9 years ago

I certainly will upgrade, i think i will go with a Roswill or a EVGA psu :D My cheapness will most likely lead to problems lol

9 years ago

EVGA is a good brand, take a look at this site to see the manufacturer of each PSU: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm

9 years ago

I thank you very much

9 years ago

Welcome. Best manufacturers are: Seasonic, Super Flower and CWT. Also Delta Electronics make good PSUs.

9 years ago

You're right.

What the hell is this .> Logisys Corp. 550W power supply ?????

550W is enough, IF you buy a decent one.
However, since you got AMD check some website to do the math to be sure.

Check this one: extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

9 years ago

Single GPU configurations rarely need over 550W power supply (unless you're going for high-end ATIs).
You need a certified 80+ bronze power supply tho.
I suggest you models like XFX Pro 550 or Thermaltake Berlin on the cheap side. Lepa, Antec or Seasonic if you can afford them.
Avoid any cheap CoolerMaster or Corsair model. They are not reliable on high wattage.

9 years ago

If you want my 2 cents

Do not risk your hardware on such a cheap power supply i doubt it even has 550
I would get a new PSU

EVGA makes some nice ones for a decent price

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/6

Idle the CPU uses about 75 watts

Under load closet to 200 watts

your GPU should at most be 87 watts

so to run all 3 of those alone during gaming is about 350 watts

so if you get a 550-600 watt you should be alright to run that but i always tell people to get a bit more then you need as you use your PSU it loses its rated power not a huge amount but it always better to have more then you need then not enough.

If you plan to use this setup for some time that is what i suggest

also windows 7 might be better for gaming depending on what you play that is why i still have 7 i have had no issues with playing all my games,all newer games should work just fine but older stuff like GTA series might not.

9 years ago*

The problem is not the 550 W. It's the brand, more specifically the quality of the PSU. I've ran way more demanding setups on 550W with power to spare, but using always Seasonic PSU. As long as it is really 80+ bronze certified at least, it should be fine.

9 years ago

also keep in mind if cable managment is important to you. the power cables can be suprisingly difficult to install in a neat way

9 years ago

As others have said, the wattage is more than ample for that hardware, but get a better quality brand PSU.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

9 years ago

These days I'd always go for a 750w, there's not a huge price difference (20-30USD for the cooler master series). But for your setup, the GTX 750 only needs 300w, so 550w will probably be enough, not sure if you start overclocking, i never tried that.

9 years ago

thank you all, I really appreciate the help. for now im just gonna buy my other parts and when i get more money im gonna invest in a better more reliable PSU

9 years ago

Good idea. :) The power supply is an often overlooked component in a PC build, and some people skimp on them and put that money toward more memory, a better video card, etc. without realizing that these cheap power supplies compromise the rest of their system. They're cheaply made and much more likely to blow out, and can fry other components when they do. Twice, I've had friends bring me dead systems with cheap, blown power supplies that had fried their motherboards, too.

9 years ago

Atleast get a bronze rated psu

9 years ago

I have a 500w PSU easily holding a R9 280 and a FX-8120. It is a great brand, OCZ.

550w is more than enough for that setup, but never, NEVER, buy any generic or low quality brands. Always go for a thermaltake, ocz, corsair, and some other reliable brands.

9 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

9 years ago

ya but at that point you are better to go for a 650-700 w for a 20 $ extra

9 years ago

google for PSU calculator ;)

9 years ago

Easily, I'd go for a Bronze rated PSU. Don't bother about having a full/semi modular one unless you have a tiny mATX/mITX case.

9 years ago

I used this website to pick my parts for my build. It makes sure everything can be powered accordingly and will let you know of any compatibility issues. PCPartPicker

9 years ago

I'm gonna say something slightly contrary to everyone here. Bronze rated or above is the way to go BUT if you want to cheap out on the PSU and get one of the dodgier brands then make sure to have a wattage safety cushion when the darn thing doesn't deliver what it says on the box. So say if you think you're gonna need about 550W and it's a gaming PC then aim for 700-750W if you don't see the point in shelling out for a "weaker" bronze+ certified PSU from the reputable brands. And yes I say this despite currently owning a bronze certified PSU because my py previous system used an unreputable Gigabyte 720W PSU but it was still quite acceptable and managed to produce about 580W continuous and gave me no issues over 5 years.

Also as a tip always try and find out what the continuous rating is as the wattage on the box is generally the maximum rating, not the real world rating.

And check out JonnyGuru's site, he reviews a lot of PSUs, ranging from superb to absolutely terrible. Many "expert" system builders will have picked their power supply based on whether he endorsed the PSU or not.

9 years ago*

Closed 7 years ago by DeathbyQuigley.