Linky

For once, i'm quite glad i don't have either an Nvidia card and updated drivers.

Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 months ago.

1 decade ago

Yup I had 2 entire PC lock-ups with this update playing Alan Wake. I googled it and saw others had had freezes so rolled back ASAP. Luckily I havent seen any crazy artifacts like reported in that thread, and my GPU appears to be working fine now

1 decade ago

Yeah, those were the only decent drivers for me. :)
Used them till I recently upgraded to 314.22 for better performance in FF14.
Dunno if it's just me, but I think out of all hardware manufacturers Nvidia has the most bugged drivers, recently.
Even if not, it's just the worst publicity you can get.~

1 decade ago

Wow, glad I haven't updated yet :S

1 decade ago

this!

1 decade ago

Lol I've been running on 320.18 ever since it released and my GT650M is still fine, infact thanks to this thread I found out about the latest update so time to get that.

1 decade ago

Yea, I should pretty much avoid it with an AMD card :/

1 decade ago

That's actually a good way to sell new cards!

1 decade ago

And even greater PR.

looks at M$

1 decade ago

I don't know..If I used Nvidia cards, and it got killed by the driver, I would think twice before buying another Nvidia card ever again..

1 decade ago

I can understand that, but sadly those things could happen to every piece of hardware

1 decade ago

No, it can't. Show me a sound card that has ever died because of drivers. Or a NIC. Or pretty much anything other than a video card or motherboard. These things only happen when a driver screws up a fan control or voltage settings. Tons of hardware doesn't use variable voltages or fans and thus is virtually indestructible through software. Worst case scenario with most software if a new driver doesn't work you just reload an older driver.

1 decade ago

Sound card is not a GPU. GRU can cause high load -> high temperature -> cooling failure -> dead GPU. Something like that. CPU and GRU are actually vulnerable pieces of hardware should a software failure occur.

1 decade ago

but it is a piece of hardware - read the chain post

1 decade ago

Did you even read the comment you're replying to? As he said, GPU's use variable voltages and fans, hence they can overheat when drivers screw up their settings. As for CPU's - there's no drivers causing CPU's to overheat and fail. You can screw up your own BIOS settings and overclock your CPU to deah, but there's no company-made drivers that do that.

1 decade ago

It's unlikely, but it could also happen that your sound card gets damaged because of a faulty mainboard update. In that case it's obviously not the sound cards fault, though

1 decade ago

that's okay, the 320.49 came out a week ago...

1 decade ago

I was thinking this too, it doesn't even seem worth discussing...

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

soo, does warranty covers a dead GPU due to drivers?

1 decade ago

Dead GPU is dead GPU. It should cover it.

1 decade ago

I bet it's covered by 'inappropriate use outside of optimal parameters' clause. So, nope, you're at repair shop's mercy unless Nvidia coughs up money for repairs.

1 decade ago

Inappropriate use? Just by using new drivers?

1 decade ago

Yup. You used faulty drivers, didn't you? So it's your fault.

I used to work in repair shop during my Uni years to get a bit of money, and while we were pretty cool about it and often fixed stuff we weren't required to, a lot of times we had to turn it away on reasons you wouldn't believe because producer was too cheap and FORBID us to repair some issues.

1 decade ago

I updated yesterday to 320.49 (because I could not play WotR) and I didn't have any problems.

1 decade ago

me too

1 decade ago

me three

1 decade ago

me 4

1 decade ago

me 5 when i update to 320.49 awhile ago

1 decade ago

Had to go back to 314, because my computer started freaking out and randomly freezing up after I updated to 320. Worrying. After it just decided it wanted nothing more to do with my monitor while I was playing a game, I got annoyed and reverted back to 314. Hopefully no real damage was done, everything SEEMS to be fine now. -fingers crossed-

1 decade ago

Thank fuck I'm getting an ATI card after this. I'm not supporting this shitty company ever again.

1 decade ago

Lol, have fun.

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

greentexting on steamgifts

I never had a problem like that with my ATI card back in the day, ever. If there was an issue, I could at least solve it, no matter how long it took. With nVidia, I have one of their older motherboards which can't boot any OS from any hard drive I have, unless you count the ones with bad sectors; mixes up the boot sequence so I have to reset it through the BIOS over and over again; sometimes doesn't realise there are hard drives connected at all; and to top it off, it is wildly incompatible with the motherfucking nVidia card I'm having. Yes, that's true. There's a certain kind of BSOD that says stuff about nv4_disp.dll, and I couldn't fix it with any of the existing methods. Double-checked all of them, none worked.

That's nVidia for you in a nutshell. And don't you worry, I WILL have fun with my new card, as opposed to this piece of shit.

1 decade ago

eww, either your pc is slow as hell or your not uninstalling ati drivers correctly

1 decade ago

took me two hours to install new catalyst drivers update, cuz i got shittons of errors, have fun. Really? I think you have a shitty computer. I'm an AMD user and drivers are fine, plus the instalation is easy.

1 decade ago

Lol sucks for u :3 took me less than 5 minutes

1 decade ago

haha

1 decade ago

I have never had a problem with driver updates on my geforce 550ti o_O

1 decade ago

I always stay 2 behind anyways.

1 decade ago

So you'll have issues after the next 2 versions come out?

1 decade ago

I c wut u did thar.

1 decade ago

lol nah, the reason is because I weed out the bad.

1 decade ago

320.49 is already out. No problems so far.

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

So what? AMD's drivers have been doing that and other things forever. Nvidia still has industry leading driver support

1 decade ago

I've never heard such a thing for any AMD driver. Source?

1 decade ago

BS, source please. Meanwhile I already heard 3 instances where nvidia driver updates kills some gpus

1 decade ago

Umm, lol? Do you often hallucinate while typing comments?

I've been using and tweaking ATI cards for the past 14 years, overclocking them, using custom drivers, the whole shebang. I've also bought and used an Nvidia GPU, once. Never again. The POS was actually causing so many CPU calls that it was causing latency which interfered with my sound device, and caused crackling and hissing all the time. There was no driver fix, no software-based fix made by Nvidia, and the threads on their official support forum were ignored.

With my ATI cards, I have never had such a retarded issue. I've had - let's see, ummm - 5 ATI GPU's? And I have a friend who's had another 6 or so in his life. He's also a tweaking nut, and has also screwed around with them a lot. Guess what. Never had such a retarded issue, either. Ever.

The only issues either of us have had were:

• too high temps. caused by our own tweaking and overclocking
  • issues with remnants of drivers being left behind after uninstalling them, again caused by - you guessed it; our own tweaking and screwing with them
  • a hand full of issues with specific games such as some texture pop-in / artifacting, some LOD issues, and some issues with games' specularity lighting. All of these issues were always fixed in the next driver update, with quick communication being sought by ATI with the games' devs to fix things, quick. This communication was also often made transparant to us, the customers.

With Nvidia, game-specific issues are often ignored for a number of driver iterations, until they can unify some fixes and dump them all together into one update, leaving gamers with issues high and dry.

ATI has always been far better with customer support, communication, offering value for money, and stable fucking drivers that didn't cause more issues than they fixed. I can only remember having to roll back to older drivers two, maybe three times due to issues ATI caused with their updates, and in each case, the issues were immediately addressed and - you guessed it - fixed in the next fucking update. I only see people bitch and moan about Nvidia issues, having to roll back all the time, worrying about absolutely horrible issues such as the driver this thread's about causes (which include BURNING YOUR GPU UP AND KILLING IT).

With ATI, nowadays? The drivers have become a bit bloaty, I don't like the new UI for the Catalyst Control panel, and driver removal has become slightly trickier. I hardly ever see issues where people have to roll back whole damn versions in the drivers, though.

1 decade ago

Have to agree from a fence hopper.
I might go back to AMD when they bring something new out to compete with the Titan next year.

1 decade ago

I guess Microsoft's driver testing department has been slacking.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the warning!

1 decade ago

Time to upgrade my drivers ;_;

1 decade ago

I have a GT425m that with older drivers used to crash often during game sessions (TDR error + bsod), now that I have 320.18 everything is fine.

1 decade ago

oh the irony xD

1 decade ago

Been auto updating my drivers, no problem so far. I've received some lock ups but that's because of my room's temp - 85 degrees in laptop's temp censor.

1 decade ago

Chivalry caused a heating issue until I exited out. Guess I don't have to worry about that problem anymore.

1 decade ago

Not to re-open the whole AMD vs. Nvidia conflict, but this isn't the first time this happens with Nvidia drivers..

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

..I don't even.. I have no comment on what you wrote, it's that stupid.

However, to clarify, Nvidia has issued warnings that their drivers were ruining their GPUs in the past, AMD hasn't had this problem.

1 decade ago

Yeah, because correct ati drivers installation is very hard "quest". Not everyone can handle this, and prefer to sit on old installed drivers, instead of spending hours on deleting old ones and installing new drivers.

1 decade ago

What? Why AMD or NVidia driver should have problems with installing or uninstalling? It's a very easy operation, even easier on Windows 7, where you can replace a graphic driver on fly, without rebooting.

1 decade ago

Why? You tell me why.
Nvidia: download, install, reboot, all good, works fine.
Radeon: download, install... everything seems ok, but no drivers were installed, run install again, same result.
Ok, uninstall attempt... error, reboot, error again. Manual remove everything related to ati/amd plus driver sweeper (and other removal software), reboot, install again (but this time older catalyst version).
Reboot, yay, it works, but ccc is not working, ati tray tools gives error on launch.
Uninstall is not working (again), clean system again, download driverpack iso image, install drivers from it, all good. Ati tray tools works fine.
QUEST COMPLETE
PS: Sorry for "wall of text"

1 decade ago

yawn, nice try
Download >> Atiman uninstaller >> reboot >> install
Done

1 decade ago

Good try, but despite bunch of console windows and not being able to do anything else while process running, this tool didnt delete actual drivers... im not even sure if it deleted anything at all.

1 decade ago

Actually, for many years now my experience with AMD drivers have been the following:

Download, install, start to use witout even having to reboot

1 decade ago

still better than amd though...

1 decade ago

5970>Nvidia

1 decade ago

Not to add to the flame, but at least Nvidia actually releases drivers more often than once every decade.

1 decade ago

Why the hell do you bump this post?

1 decade ago

If confirmed, it remind me a similar case, two years ago.

1 decade ago

This

1 decade ago

Oh god, I remember those.. In fact, I was using them for a whole year straight. One day a friend asked what drivers I'm using and when he heard he fell over laughing. Apparently I was lucky that the 9600GT didn't have driver-based fan control or something

1 decade ago

320.18 drivers are old, you know. You posted a 1 month old link...

As far as i know, 320.18 were BETA release, "install at your own risk" etc.

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

320.18 WHQL driver isn't a beta driver.

1 decade ago

Im still using 296.10 because my card has issues with 3xx.xx drivers :/

1 decade ago

back when the driver released i installed it because of metro performance boost.
my browser was lagging all the time and I didnt found the problem at first (while playing I had no problems with my GTX550 Ti).
Randomely I found a link where people wrote about problems with that driver and so I switched back to 314.22 and all problems were gone.
I guess I'm lucky nothing was damaged on my card (played almost 2 weeks with the bad driver)
@NIKENIT
And no it wasn't a beta release, I dont update to beta drivers. NVIDIA released the 318.20 over their update programm as final build without an indication where it says beta.

1 decade ago

Anything else besides a 3rd rate blog post to confirm?

1 decade ago

Wait...but I'm on 320.49. The world....is she slowing down? I...I can't tell. D; (But I have run into crashes lately)

1 decade ago

yea this :O we are time travelers

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Onomatopesha.