I was playing with css a few days ago decided to make 2 darker styles for steamgifts as my eyes usually explode after looking too long at a bright background.

Stylish required, grab it here for: Firefox - Chrome - Opera (not tested)

I'm gonna recommend everyone to switch to Stylus. It's a fork of Stylish that removes analytics and optimizes performance amongst other things.

------

SteamGifties Black

SteamGifties Blue

** Remember to select which settings you want on/off HERE **

For the steamtrades.com userstyle, go here

------

I tried to keep the original color scheme and at the same time adjusting everything to match a dark blue/black background.
both skins have options and also compatibility with some userscripts found here.

Enjoy

changelog:

• 2.8.5 - fixed removed user group tags; updated esgst style.
  • 2.8.4 - updated esgst compatibility.
  • 2.8.3 - removed donator star in comments.
  • 2.8.2 - tweaked ESGST giveaway thumbnails; added option to hide poll in the homepage.
  • 2.8.1 - fixed homepage banner option.
  • 2.8 - updated ESGST, submit comment button, pop up colors, gridview colors and spacing; updated SG++, fixed navbar margin; added option to hide or make the feature giveaway smaller; fixed homepage titles for pinned subforums.
  • 2.7.6 - readded border to avatar and giveaway images; fixed pop-up color for esgst.
  • 2.7.5 - updated ESGST gridview.
  • 2.7.4 - updated ESGST style.
  • 2.7.3 - fixed elitist avatars.
  • 2.7.2 - fixed sg++ grid view.
  • 2.7.1 - fixed spacer between giveaways; updated rhSGST style.
  • 2.7 - added option to change the navbar button color (black/white); added support for rhSGST.
  • 2.6.1 - fixed style in sg++ config page.
  • 2.6 - added support for Extended Steamgifts.
  • 2.5.3 - fixed date format.
  • 2.5.2 - added option to resize avatar in comments.
  • 2.5.1 - tweaked image borders; increased avatar size in comments.
  • 2.5 - added support for SG2O.
  • 2.4.7 - added stats page.
  • 2.4.6 - added option to mark visited threads.
  • 2.4.5 - removed sgtools support.
  • 2.4.4 - cleaned style; added option for sgtools to remove ads and center content.
  • 2.4.3 - added support for touhou giveaways helper.
  • 2.4.2 - updated sgtools style.
  • 2.4.1 - added color-blind friendly color palette for sgtools.
  • 2.4 - added sgtools.info black theme (SGToolsy :3).
  • 2.3 - added color scheme for profile icons and labels; fixed sg++ now-online tooltip avatar.
  • 2.2 - fixed invisible links inside spoiler tags.
  • 2.1.9 - fixed navbar icons alignment after sg update.
  • 2.1.8 - expanded view for replies in messages page; changed color for visited links; removed fix for long replies (implemented on sg's side).
  • 2.1.7 - special characters won't go outside comment boxes.
  • 2.1.6 - added option to mark visited links (useful for GA trains with multiple options).
  • 2.1.5 - fixed issue with long replies.
  • 2.1.4 - fixed word break in long replies.
  • 2.1.3 - fixed grid view for sg++.
  • 2.1.2 - applied skin to pop-ups.
  • 2.1.1 - removed "active" state from buttons.
  • 2.1 - tweaked top navigation menu; changed buttons color scheme; level display changed; animated (some) menu/links.
  • 2.0.1 (blue only) - changed links color; changed giveaway icons color scheme (whitelist, group, region, level, invite).
  • 2.0 - added compatibility with easy steamgifts; some options are disabled by default now (you need to enable them when installing).
  • 1.9 - fixed compatibility for sg++ and sg drop-down menu.
  • 1.8 - fixed edit/cancel button for ga creation and replies; made the ga lv indicator easier to read.
  • 1.7 - fixed birthday icon color.
  • 1.6 - tweaked sg++ tag icon color.
  • 1.5 - removed old options; added hidden link detection; fixed background color with footer; added support for some addons/scripts.

-previews: blue/black-

View attached image.
View attached image.
9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I have two suggestions to the black version(they may apply to the blue version with different colors though):

makes the hover background on giveaways when using the gridview darker(if there is some image close to white behind it its difficult to read in the color you use)

div:not(.giveaway-gridview)>.global__image-outer-wrap {
      background: rgba(0,0,0,.8);
  }

change the outer background of the fixed heading in ESGST(rhSGST) to be the same as the page background(the color that is being picked right now is the gray from inside the heading)

.FEHeadingBackground{
    background: rgb(16,16,16);
  }

edit: there may be a better way to change the color in the first sugestion though i haven't found it.

7 years ago

sorry i replied so late, but i just found out esgst has a gridview setting.
it's fixed now =3

View attached image.
6 years ago

you might have tested with an old version, as it looks like this to me now, it's way better to read :) but the color isn't the same as in your screenshot

View attached image.
6 years ago

that's the black skin, ther screenshot is from the blue =3

6 years ago

makes sense, anyway that dark green looks strange, i would expect some shade of gray/black in the black theme.(but i can keep using my fix for it so no big deal to me)

another issue is that some popouts in ESGST are really difficult to read.

View attached image.
6 years ago

is it expected behavior that in the black skin the gridview game info background is that color?

6 years ago

installed it again, hi M! <3

6 years ago

- fixed elitist avatars.

6 years ago

sup gangsta

6 years ago

It's good to see you back :3.

6 years ago

- updated ESGST style.

- updated ESGST gridview.

6 years ago

Actually there is a free software called "f.lux". I don't know if you ever heard about it but you can check it out if you have sensetive eyes like me. It lowers the brightness of screen depending on your location. Calculates the sunset sunrise etc. You mostly have a chance to turn the website to dark modes but while reading documents, it's really helpfull. I even use it while gaming. :D

6 years ago

2.7.6 REBEL update

- readded border to avatar and giveaway images; fixed pop-up color for esgst.

#BringBackImageBorders

View attached image.
View attached image.
6 years ago

Would be great change color for make more vissible timer in ESGST.

View attached image.
6 years ago

thanks, i will do that 👌

6 years ago

Style stop working in popup ESGST windows.

View attached image.
6 years ago*

fixed =3

6 years ago

Any updades in near future for GAs timers and popup windows from ESGST? Maybe anyone know where to look for change the variables with current colors? I will be very grateful.

View attached image.
6 years ago*

it should look ok now, let me know if you find something else. o/

6 years ago

Thank you, Mully!

6 years ago

2.8 THINGS WERE OK WHY DO YOU CHANGE THEM update

- updated ESGST, submit comment button, pop up colors, gridview colors and spacing;
- updated SG++, fixed navbar margin;
- added option to hide or make the feature giveaway smaller;
- fixed homepage titles for pinned subforums.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
6 years ago*

Big avatars stopped working for me since the new update.

Edit: The problem is only in the discussion list (steamgifts.com/discussions). They display as expected once you open a specific discussion.

6 years ago*

i think they were never bigger outside threads to keep rows smaller.

6 years ago

I'm pretty sure they were. I can make you a screenshot, if you can link me the older version of the style, because I don't see an option to get it from userstyles. I'm talking about the Blue one, forgot to mention that earlier.

6 years ago

Slight problem: this new update seems to have disabled the entire top half of a user's profile page, including all their stats.
Edit: Or, more precisely, the "featured giveaway: hide banner" option seems to hide every upper half of the pages, not just the featured giveaway segment.

6 years ago*

Passed this info along to her, she's fixing it now.

6 years ago

used the wrong css 😇

6 years ago

Works. Yay, thanks! ^_^

6 years ago

Thank you very much Mully. You are awesome.

6 years ago

- fixed homepage banner option.

6 years ago

- tweaked ESGST giveaway thumbnails;
- added option to hide poll in the homepage.

View attached image.
6 years ago

Nice! 👌

6 years ago

Interestingly, does not seem to work if I use ESGST to re-arrange the main page and put the discussion on top and the poll at the very bottom.
I am relatively fine seeing the poll there, but I thought it may be worth noting.

6 years ago

if you change the order of elements in the homepage, it will probably end up hiding something else. xD

6 years ago

A small error with the arrangement of the images. Gridview from ESGST.

View attached image.
6 years ago*

try with image borders set to off in esgst, both userstyles have them by default.

6 years ago

What exactly i need to do?
Update: Thanks, found it.

6 years ago*

- removed donator star in comments

View attached image.
6 years ago

Hacks!!!!

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

i don't need userstyles to get suspended, i do it manually 😎

6 years ago

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you have an autosuspension bot.
<3

6 years ago

.>:D

6 years ago

You have no clue how much that star keeps annoying me. Thank you a lot Mully, I really appreciate it!

And I'm 100% serious about this, I truly appreciate everything you're doing, since I'm using your style for a long time now.

6 years ago

Nice. Make sure to remove avatar borders too.

View attached image.
6 years ago

Also force the default gif for wins?

6 years ago

yes

6 years ago

oh that's an old one =3

• fixed elitist avatars.
6 years ago

Why the crap this sort of thing isn't already integrated into SG is beyond me (the user styles, I mean). Most other forums I frequent (at least the larger ones, and even some of the smaller ones) already have the option for a darker theme built in.

6 years ago

That's a good question. More sites should at least have the ability to switch between color contrast stylesheets to help reduce eyestrain.

6 years ago

Adding a style to a common script like phpbb3, mybb or similar is very easy and takes almost no time. SG is powered by cg's own engine, so every single thing we're using here is more or less coded from the bare grounds, meaning even such simple thing as another SG skin can be very troublesome and take a lot of time to code.

This is on top of everything else that is waiting in the queue to be taken care of. It's not an excuse, but this is definitely not some core thing that can't be fixed with a script or an userstyle.

6 years ago

I wonder if it'd be given higher priority if these folks removed their scripts. I imagine so.

6 years ago

SG is still his hobby project, he's just a human and you can't say that he's not doing anything to keep site updated. Problem is that he's working alone, and this is on top of potential work/family/life in general, so it's hard to expect some major features being added. It's more like fixing what is broken in time and taking small baby steps to make site better. I can't blame him for that, but there is definitely a lot of people that could help him if he only wanted - me included.

6 years ago

I understand that, but these scripts just push this sort of thing to the "back-burner." Because, you know - why do it when someone else will?

If these scripts weren't here, there'd clearly be a larger push for at least one dark theme on SG (particularly given the size of the userbase). I believe that push should be happening anyway.

I've been active here for ... hell, I don't even remember now, a few years (2 or 3?), and I've not even seen it mentioned. I consistently see "just use this script", though.

6 years ago

Yeah, that's usually how it works and I agree that there is no push because those things already exist done by somebody else. There is no argue about that.

But I'm not sure if it's necessarily bad in terms of site development. There is no guarantee that cg would get down to this if scripts weren't there, and even if he did, it'd be for a sacrifice done somewhere else.

Maybe it's better that he's focusing on things we can't fix with scripts, and community is working on user "frontend" that can be easily adapted to one's needs.

6 years ago

Thank you so much for saving my light-sensitive peepers!!!
Doesn't look bad in Opera. However, for web-accessibility purposes, you might want to address color contrast.

View attached image.
6 years ago

You and me both. I have an eye disease and light sensitive eyes, and Mully's userstyles make browsing the site much less painful and easy.

6 years ago

Yup, I hear that. I've spent way too many years in front of double and triple monitors that my eyes can't handle majority white backgrounds for long periods. Heh... at this rate, I might as well move into a dark cave and become a recluse. :P I'm so happy Mully made it easier for folks like us!

6 years ago*

nice, honestly i didn't even know there was a tool like that site. gonna check it and see what i can tweak.

6 years ago

I personally prefer the one from WebAIM, but the other one gives you a better idea when you can see the text (or link) color against the background.

If you're interested in using other tools to test for accessibility, I'll be happy to hook you up. And thanks again for making an SG black theme that is compatible with ESGT! ❤️️❤️️❤️️

6 years ago

I bet even without her knowing her style will be more compliant than the default steamgifts ;)

6 years ago

Is there an option to assign a special status to someone, so that their comments on forum are always on magically beautiful background? Discretely, so that they do not know (not to WL users)

View attached image.
6 years ago

i can't do it with a userstyle, it will need some coding which i don't have a clue. ┐(´ー`)┌

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

6 years ago

red blue is love =3

6 years ago

I'm using a blue theme and there are a few ESGT features which I'm using and are hard to see because they have a default color. A few of them are:

• hide giveaway button (ESGT one, not the default SG thing)
  • edit game tags button
  • Advanced Giveaway Search text
    Also when using Fixed Footer the background does not become fixed.

I've been using a different theme for the past week since it doesn't have such problems with ESGT, but I've decided to go back yours. I really love this blue one so I hope you'll manage to fix those issues ;)

6 years ago

i can't find the hide giveaway button, can you screenshot it in the options?

other issues are fixed.

6 years ago

The Fixed Footer is fixed ;) for me, but for the rest I'm posting a screenshot + an info on how to activate a certain feature:

1. The text for the Advanced Giveaway Search (activate: ESGT -> 2. Giveaways -> 3. Advanced Giveaway Search)
  2. ESGT hide giveaway button (activate: ESGT -> 2. Giveaways -> 6. Giveaway filters -> 1. Enable the option to hide giveaways)
  3. Edit game tags button (activate: ESGT -> 7. Games -> Game Tags)
View attached image.
6 years ago

should be ok now. 👍

6 years ago

Thank you for your effort Mully, but still it's not fully correct :*
On the new image you can see that games without a game tag display correctly now, but the ones that have it are still not fixed.

View attached image.
6 years ago

- updated esgst compatibility.

6 years ago

- fixed removed user group tags;
- updated esgst style.

6 years ago

I use the blue and I like it, it took me a while to get use to it, but now I don't want another

6 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by Mully.