Since approximately August 13 (give or take a few days), I very often cannot load any SG pages at all.
It looks like page generation fails. (See attached screenshot.)
I'm shown as "Online Now" when this happens, so it gets past whatever sets me active, and then page generation crashes?

My guess is that having like half of all Steam games might be too much, or something else related to my account. The issue does NOT occur when not logged in, but it DOES happen when using another IP, no matter what continent, so it shouldn't be related to, say, CDN region. It also happens using a barebones browser (or the Steam client), so it's not related to extensions on my end.
I have less than 700 games ignored on SG, so it's not an issue of a user having an absurdly big ignore list.
It doesn't seem to depend on what SG URL I try to access (front page, deals forum, user profile, etc).

I have to try loading any (?) SG URL many times for it to eventually work. Once I "punch through" (= the backend successfully generates and sends me HTML), it keeps working for the next while.

=> fixed by cg

View attached image.
1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

But if the problem would be you own too much games, why now? Unless CG changed something recently.
I never experience anything with 10500 games.

Think only CG knows and can fix it.

What do you mean using "another" ip? Using VPN's? And trying at someone elses house or work?

1 year ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#5xx_server_errors

5xx HTTP errors do indicate a problem on the server side, as opposed to 4xx indicating client errors, so this rules out things like rate limiting errors

So indeed this is something only the site admin can answer (CG)

1 year ago

From all the details you mentioned - sounds like the issue happens when SG tries to load your user.
Probably your large games list (maybe combined with groups list, users list, etc.) causes issues when the website tries to fetch your account from the DataBase. Either the DB is unresponsive or throws an exception, or the website is unable to process the data it gets from the DB.

I suspect the user update/sync process may also be problematic for your user. But you probably wouldn't see it, as I suspect it happens in the background.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

Hi Luckz, I glanced at the logs and it seems to be a memory issue due to the size of your Steam library. It occurs when SG syncs your account and calculates what Steam packages you own. I'll sort out a solution in the next few days.

1 year ago

Hi cg,
because you reacted here i use this possibility to write you about something else.

You should change the rules and demand a level for joining sg because the site get overrun by multiaccounters and autojoiners that bring a lot of accounts under level 10 or between 10 and 20. A bunch of this accounts have VAC bans on top.
A level 20 or, at least, a level 10 min. req. would reduce the abuse by 50% | 25% and that would lower the work for the mods, and the helping members, by a lot.

One member and i reported alone in the last 4 weeks 250 accounts because of autojoining (and this aren't "maybe" cases -99,9% of them are crystal clear ones-). But it is a fight against windmills with your open gates that invite each one to cheat (I don't mean alone the no steam level restriction as gates but i can't go into details or people will abuse the things maybe more).

Take this informations/advice as my last gift because i stop with the help (reports for autojoiners, multiaccounters, regifters, abused games etc.) for this site.

Oh and if that isn't known from you, i were the biggest hunter on this site. Maybe this have a bit of a weight.

1 year ago*

It's extremely easy to get to level 10, as it requires 1000 exp.

500 for community leader, 100 for at least one game, 100 for gem maker = 700 exp. All that is needed is to invest $0,6 to buy set of some extremely cheap badge to get to level 10. I don't think level 10 requirement would solve anything.

And there are many legitimate users that just get to level 10 to unlock community features, locking their ability to use website by raising limits to 15 or 20 would not work, as someone who wants to cheat the system would "invest" in 2k exp by buying 20 badges worth $4,5. Not counting all the card drops they will get from free key activation, that they use now to boost account past registration requirement.

I do agree registration requirement should be adjusted, but slapping Steam level requirement will not help. Though I don't have data how many of our users are at levels 10+ to know how many would be left out.

Maybe better idea would be to remove from calculation games worth less than x with less than x reviews, so all those extremely cheap asset flips pumped out in low quality bundles and Russian giveaway websites.

1 year ago

I don't know how many, new, users/accounts on this site are below level 10 or below level 20 but i know that 90% of the reported autojoiners are and a good bunch of the multiaccounters too (their main account excluded).

So yes, a min. level don't prevent all but it make it a bit more difficult to bring "each day" a new/next account to sg, whenever a old one got catched. Same for the multiaccounters. Think on the big one that Gaffi catched, i catched only a small part of them and he seen than with his checks over 100 accounts... (can't remember on the exact amount). How many of them were below 10 / 20 ? I think, nearly, all (i checked "only" 50 of them).

And the hunting is extremely time consuming (spotting, digging, providing evidences that are [very] strong), and i assume this will be done much lesser, now that i retired.

Yes, cheaters could level all their multiaccounts for a few $ but they will not do it because they need to invest money and they aren't guaranteed (enough) wins that this investment brings them enough.
They will go safer and less money intensive ways in many cases.

remove from calculation games worth less than x with less than x reviews

This would be a good idea too.

But don't forget that reviews can be bought (and won) too.
If you don't know this i could send you, at any time, a screenshot from a discord that offer such service and other, in different ways "cheating" services.

So if someone invest $5 - $15 (depending on the needed amount of reviews, likes, comments, wishlists etc. -they offer all...-) he can push his game that it can be abused for sg.
You only would have a chance if you set it higher as 1k reviews (till that discord owner would "activate" more of his bot accounts) and i don't assume the demands will, and should be, so high.

1 year ago*

Yes, cheaters could level all their multiaccounts for a few $ but they will not do it because they need to invest money and they aren't guaranteed (enough) wins that this investment brings them enough.

Nothing stops them from making 100 bots accounts, and then farm enough cards from free games to level only 10 accounts to level 20. Look on archi farm and how extremely easy it is to make huge bot account farms that grab each single free game and drop cards for main account profit. It's just a matter of deciding if they want to have direct money from card drops, or investing them on SG for chance to get game they want to play, or key re-sell.

But don't forget that reviews can be bought (and won) too.
If you don't know this i could send you, at any time, a screenshot from a discord that offer such service and other, in different ways "cheating" services.

There are many around-Steam websites that sprouted around the community. For each way we may try to limit bot registration, someone most probably found a way to automatically level-up, write messages, pump Steam Store page with reviews etc. We had to suspend a high level user years ago as they were harassing small indie devs with key requests "or we will nuke your Steam reviews", using their "SG size" as a leverage. So I'm well aware of people that buy reviews. But going to discord-game-review-buy service to boast reviews of game to get pass on some random internet website seems like more hassle than to just gain few levels via cheap card drops. Unless it's for your own game. But then you can create unlimited number of asset flips to get free card drops and boost Steam level anyway.

Only way for us to reliably filter bot accounts would be for Steam to start actually to curate their shop. And we know it will never happen.

1 year ago

Sure bigger bot farms could do this but a) smaller ones couldn't and b) the bigger botfarms would still need to spend money, if they farmed that money/the cards or not. Which means they would have a lower earning from the card farming and they would think about it if this investment in the "10" accounts would be a good investment or if it is "too much" and a other way easier to get games/earn money. Besides that it would costs them time, which bring the effect that not a endless stream of new abusing accounts could join sg and this would bring the community a lower ammount of abusing accounts/users and the possibility to win more games with a fair(er) chance.

I could tell you much more about the joining accounts because it give some "visible" + "repeating" stuff but i will not do it here in public.
Because it could be seen as calling out when i type names as example and some guys could be warned when they realize how they get detected or which of their accounts.

All in all i break it down to "If cg would be interested to catch them, it would be a easy thing for him to atch a good part of them".
And this lead me to the question if he don't want or can't.
Can't could be because of a serious illness to name one thing that "all" would understand.

1 year ago

I would imagine it's not hard to level a Steam account, but I have been using mine just to play games for over 16 years and I am still only level 17. I don't know how to level a Steam account and I don't care to learn because I mostly only use it to play games. I don't like social media and I don't collect cards, badges, or anything like that.

So I would not want to see a level 20 requirement because I bet there are a lot of other people like me that only use their Steam account to play games and would not meet the requirement while the people who farm accounts would probably find an easy way to pass the level requirement.

1 year ago

Just for your information - just today I made one of my old accounts non-limited (just redeemded $5 gift card) - and it's already level 20. So, if you want to use level as a measurement - it must be much more than that.
I would recommend just increasing current limit of money spent on steam, because SG calculates it with respect to noCV/reducedCV lists, so it's at least something.

1 year ago

Higher as level 20 isn't possible and it will never stop all multiaccounters and autojoiners but it will reduce the ammount of accounts that can enter sg, after activating a few crap games that are counted as full value -other other ways, that i will not reveal to prevent that more use it-.

I seen from the multiaccounters that they bring not only 1 other account and the new autojoiner accounts comes in waves, mostly 3-5 of them appear in one go, then a few days no new ones, then again 3-5. This is, for me, a clear sign that the same (few?) people are behind them and that they aren't "normal" new members.
Around 75% of the accounts that we/i catched for autojoining were level 0 or 1 (mostly 0), and nearly all of them were really low level steam accounts with partly VAC bans on top.

As soon as this guys need to spend money for their, 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th etc., accounts, the amount of autojoiners and multiaccounters will drop significantly. Without the need of work from the mods or some helpers. And both are important.

Of course could cg do autojoiner checks and perma suspend all that get catched. That would be, in one go, more effective.
But i questioned for it since around 2 or 3 years, so i don't expect that it happen.
One of the reasons why i retired from making reports to help the site, because it needs thousands of hours to do stuff as member that cg could do, automated, in a very short time

1 year ago

The problem with your idea is that the exp system on Steam is not a core part of the platform, it's just fluff. And many people simply don't care about it. You'd force people to hunt exp by doing tasks during events they don't care about and to even waste money on it.

1 year ago

Hey man, just added a new entry to this post at the end. Getting consistent 500 errors when attempting to create a discussion. Failed in both Chrome and Edge. Only running significant plugins on the former, not the latter.

1 year ago

I hope that our lucky rabbit will no longer struggle so in the near future! A friend of mine has similar problems on another site due to their hoard of accumulated things, so while I didn't expect this to be a thing here, at the same time I am not shocked haha. Pretty much anything I check in the store happens to be owned by you already too!

1 year ago

Happens quite often to us "whales". GOG Galaxys Steam plugin reliably crashes when you reach a certain amount of games (at around 16k) and GOG developers still have found no way to fix it.

1 year ago

I'm not a whale just yet but ever since I've acquired the means to splurge a tiny bit on vidja games I wonder if I'll end up one, because there are many tempting deals here and there XD

1 year ago

Hey Luckz, this has been resolved. Memory usage was reduced a fair amount when syncing, so you could probably grow your library to 60-80,000 games before hitting the same issue. Thanks for reporting the problem!

1 year ago

Thanks quick fix(*p'ฮ˜')ใธ๐Ÿ”งใ€€๐Ÿช“๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿ’ป

I hope Luckz's situation is improving.

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

Thank you for the fast and effective solution.

1 year ago

I guess you will run into the same problem within the next 2-3 years at the most though. I remember Steam had a similar issue like this just last year and you seem to have lucked out on the incredibly frustrating library issues Steam had some odd 5 years ago.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

I think you highly underestimate how many apps Luckz has amassed over the past few years. SteamDB has it sitting at just under 45k although it's probably over 51k as is shown here.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

it has to do with the massive growth of restricted status games, thanks to the many abuses of community features. Collectors continue to buy these in the hopes they will one day graduate and further inflate profile figures. But by default, they remain invisible. Other miscellaneous examples include videos, demos, and playtests.

Frankly, I'm waiting for the day steam removes library count completely - would render impotent a large incentive behind funding shovelware releases. But they never move until their hand is forced, and they keep making money off of the appid purchase fee, so...

1 year ago

Since the "Profile features limited"-functionality was introduced some years ago (Three? Four?) the number of games shown on Steam profiles no longer represent the real number of apps registered to one account.
The more games an account owns, the larger the discrepancy is.

Edit: If you look at the Top 100 collectors on Steam, in most cases, the real number of apps registered to their account is approx. twice as big as the number shown at Steam.

1 year ago*

Hardcore Hoarding is a illness

1 year ago

Says somebody with 6.7 k games ... :))

1 year ago

Which is very far away from 50k....

1 year ago

Only a gradual difference in terms of collector's syndrome and who knows where we stand ten years from now.

1 year ago

For me it is much more as a "gradual difference" because from my games are the big majority real games, not unplayable trash, not demos etc..
I don't buy trash games, i don't beg publishers for keys when i have 20k+ games, i don't activate (each) demo, i don't try to win everywhere games, i don't grab everywhere keydrops etc..
It's a big mentality difference between him and me, not only the game count.

1 year ago

Sure, keep telling yourself that. You don't have 20k+ games, so that point is moot. You have joined in well over 100k giveaways in 5 years, so that point is moot as well. What's more, what you consider trash may be someone else's treasure, and a quick glance at your recently "played" games says otherwise as well.

None of these things are supposedly problematic and you can of course do whatever you want, but instead of rejecting it try admitting it as that goes a long way in terms of "character and mentality". Personally, I fully recognize and embrace it, although my wallet sometimes disagrees.

1 year ago

I have 520 games and was looking through what I could remove as "not good enough". Could not find anything to drop my count below 500. And I do think 500 is too much. I would gladly get rid (or at least permanently hide) things like remasters I get for free after I beat the base game.

I would not grade people by amount of games they amass though. I would find it waste of time to look for shovelware to add to account and have higher number. But at the same time there are also people that think more than 200 games is too much. Some people would think I waste my time by going down youtube rabbit hole, when watching one science vid that is followed by another... and then another... Others are picking only games where they can get 100%, and ignore good games as they have 1 broken achievement and their astats profile would not look perfect. To each their own :D Just do what you like, understand when you can diverge from "average" and don't put bar above yourself to prove others are meh but we're within limits.

In 2017 average number of games per account was 10. If we count there are 10x more bots and farm accounts that actual people it would go up to 100 per account. (my math may be wrong here though).

I would say it's hoarding if someone is not able to play all or vast majority of their games. If you're not interested in game then throw it to bin instead of keeping on account.

Not counter-argument to your post, only my take on this whole "oh but they have too many games" exchange that is kind of off-topic, as it's not topic about hoarding, but apparent site error that was fixed.

View attached image.
1 year ago*

=อžอŸอŸอž( ใฃ'ฮ˜')โ•ฎ =อžอŸอŸอž๐ŸŽ‚

Happy Cakedayโ™ช

View attached image.
1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

As of right now, I can't create a discussion without getting a 500 error in Chrome. I'm going to retry in Edge and see if I have better luck there.

Problem happening in Edge as well. Cannot create discussions. It's failed three times now (yep, refreshed browser, opened new tab, etc.), and I'm not willing to go through the whole thing again right now.

1 year ago*

Update:

I get the 500 error creating discussions still, but only if I include a poll. If there's no poll (and I had a HILARIOUS one this time, so I'm pretty disappointed), then I seem to be able to create the discussion successfully.

1 year ago

that sucks...but Happy Cake Day!

1 year ago

Hey grez1, thanks for sharing. I looked into this for you and it's occurring because your poll question is too long. I'll update the site this week to include an error message on the new discussion page so it's more user friendly.

1 year ago

Ahhhh, that explains it. Yeah, it would be great to error-trap that so I can correct it rather than losing 100% of all of the info I typed into the page. Not gonna lie...first time it happened, I raged a little. ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Thanks! And we (well, most of us, at least) really do appreciate all of the work you put into the site!

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.