Comment has been collapsed.

Is this the greatest game of all time?

View Results
Yes
Absolutely

And Just Cause 3 ;)

5 years ago

still playing that game( actually playing it while writing this comment) on ps4 thx for ps plus X_x

5 years ago

Just cause 3 was even lower if you buy complete Eidos Anthology Bundle.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Hear, hear!

5 years ago

You misspelled "The Witcher 3".

5 years ago

You misspelled Deus Ex

5 years ago

You misspelled Bad Rats

5 years ago

You misspelled Planescape:Torment

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

You misspelled you name, it should be Ford

:D

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Yeah and in RU+CIS region the price is less than $1.5

5 years ago

I still have it on GOG, unfinished :D
(Still would buy in a 1$ bundle tier, so I would give money for it... just not much)

5 years ago

thanks to Profitz™ it cost me $1.17

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

I already had the other games.
In case you don't know, there's a mod "Enhanced Edition Trilogy" that combines the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (including Siege of Dragonspear and Throne of Bhaal) into one (not quite) seamless experience

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

It combines the map, and plays continuously. The chapter numbering keeps going, your items stay with you, etc.
the party doesn’t exactly transfer, but the character progression continues (this is a bit clunky, but is a limitation caused by it being separate games.

If you e played the games before, I highly recommend it. If you’re new, um, maybe?

5 years ago

I was just missing the soundtracks. Got it anyway. :-)

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

They should have included the original version with this.

5 years ago

n/m

5 years ago*

Deleted

5 years ago

I mean for modding ,some of the mods would make a better version than this.
Though tbh , i haven't played it in a long time.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago*

Yeh ,i do remember modding it involved a lot of messing about.
I've always enjoyed modding games ,though i can understand a lot of gamers just want to get into playing the best possible version with as little grief as possible.

5 years ago

They do that on GOG: "Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition includes the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. (The original version will be automatically added to your account after purchase.)"

5 years ago

Here's hoping it turns up on GOG Connect one day soon :)

5 years ago

Greatest game of all time, ehhh. It's still my favorite RPG ever, but I wouldn't go quite that far.

Having said that, at this price there is absolutely no excuse for not owning it, unless you're deathly allergic to reading.

5 years ago

Just the other day on the Pillars of Eternity 2 forums, someone complained that only some of the dialog had voice acting and that they had to read the rest.

5 years ago

Those people deserve nothing less but the very best text-to-speech technology so they can rest their weary eyes, I say.

5 years ago

don't trust the skull

5 years ago

Is this the greatest game of all time? No, but it's the best written RPG ever, unparalleled even today.

I already have it, but the deal is a steal.

5 years ago

Already have it on Steam & GOG, and still have my original retail copy. Such a good game . . .

5 years ago

at least it has cards.

5 years ago

why else would anyone ever buy a game?

View attached image.
5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Thank you for the heads up, Dingbat. This one is to good to pass up. ^^

5 years ago

I've had it wishlisted since it was first announced. Saw the deal, couldn't resist. I paid more for the Baldur's Gate games and Icewind Dale, and this is by far the better game
edit: not "by far", BG2 is amazing

5 years ago

I'm really tempted since it is in my wishlist. I wonder if I should wait for the Summer Sale.

5 years ago

Buy Planescape now and the whole package during the sale as a compromise.

5 years ago

I think I'll wait. If I miss the deal during the Summer Sale that's fine. It's not like I have time to play right now

5 years ago

Got this with no hesitation as it was the last of the Enhanced Editions I was missing. Not really bothered about the soundtracks as I have those with the original versions on GOG.

5 years ago

It's extremely overrated. I mean, the story / setting / characters are very good, but gameplay-wise it's horrible. You can tell they struggled to fit their vision to those clunky AD&D2 mechanics and the later parts are full of unavoidable and badly designed combat.

Still, at that price it's a very good deal. I might even get the whole Infinity Engine bundle since it's unlikely to go lower than 85% off and it would mean I could finally play these legally in English.

5 years ago

Pro tip: all combat is avoidable

5 years ago

Damn. I finished Pillars of Eternity + The White March expansion two months ago, and now I'm in the middle of Baldur's Gate 1 EE (Butt kicking for goodness !), then I'll have to play this mysterious (shitty ?) Siege of Dragonspear expansion.
I planned to play Tyranny soon (I'm very hyped about this one), and Baldur's Gate 2 EE a few months after, and then sleep for a complete year, after so many RPG.
And now, they want me to buy Planescape...

5 years ago*

Deleted

5 years ago

i never understood why ppl like this game so much. the first 40 minutes of the game was time used just to just spam through all the text.

didnt read a word of it and still took 40 minutes to spam through it all. hardly got to have any gameplay cuz of how much text there was haha

quit playing after reaching first town

5 years ago

There’s a town?

5 years ago

Yeah, if you don't like reading, it's not a great game. But if you do, it is.

5 years ago

Words are usually used to convey meaning. By ignoring words in Planescape, know that you have missed much.
This is a setting for philosophers with clubs, after all.

5 years ago

I'm not into Dungeons and Dragons and I don't know anything about it other than that cool cartoon with the same name, but it's sad to see all "good" games from the franchise are from 1999 to 2001. Shame they couldn't get a single good game rolling after all this time.

5 years ago

they made some really cool games in the late '80s
But yeah, both the original paper games and the computer games have waned significantly in recent years.

5 years ago

Most of these are available on GOG for anyone interested in them.

I've only picked up the Dragonlance/Krynn collection so far but the rest are on my to buy list. I also have Al-Qadim which was originally published by SSI and was based upon a D%D setting but wasn't actually a Gold Box title.

5 years ago

I bought Pool of Radiance back in the day and realized my OS was too old. Had to then buy a new OS, took six months or so. Worth it.

I played 5 minutes of Al Qadim, but never got around to giving it a real shot

5 years ago

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them. And everyone thinks their farts stink better for some reason.

5 years ago

I can say that my cats farts are far better than my dad's.

5 years ago

What’s your point?

5 years ago

He just likes talking about butts and farts.

5 years ago

Real men compete on whose farts smell the worse.

5 years ago

Good to know. Thank you pal for the info. I am very tempted.

5 years ago

me too, reviews are all awesome and i'm really tempted too to buy it!!

5 years ago

I am 75% leaning towards getting the Infinity Collection, however I do have some reservations...

One, I played Planescape at around 2009 and found the game to be a drag. Felt it was average. I ended up abandoning it at some point in the middle. That said, I am open to playing this again (and yes I've had this wishlisted on Steam too).

I purchased Baldur's Gate I and II: Enhanced Editions on October 2016 but haven't gotten around to even playing them.

How are the Baldur's Gate DLCs?

What is Icewind Dale?

Is there a recommended order to playing these games (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Planescape)?

5 years ago

How are the Baldur's Gate DLCs?

The original expansions are already included in the Enhanced Editions, so the only real DLCs are Siege of Dragonspear and Faces of Good and Evil, the rest is soundtracks. I can't judge SoD since I've not played it; Faces of Good and Evil is a portrait pack with 6 (!) whole portraits that we wouldn't have dreamed of paying money for back in the day. :-P The only saving grace is that it's really cheap in the sale, so not worth getting worked up about.

Without the DLC, buying the games separately is actually cheaper than the bundle, so yeah.

What is Icewind Dale?

It's basically Baldur's Gate with less focus on story and more focus on combat, so it's more like a classic dungeon crawler. You create your whole party, rather than recruiting pre-written characters with a backstory. So the opposite direction of Planescape, which is far more about the story than even Baldur's Gate.

Is there a recommended order to playing these games (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Planescape)?

BG2 continues the story of BG1, both in story and in levels, so play them in order. BG2 recaps the story of BG1 pretty well and there are no story choices that carry over, so completing BG1 before BG2 is not a requirement, but the saga as a whole is that much less epic if you haven't experienced your humble beginnings in BG1. (And you can even play the whole saga from start to end continuously, apparently.)

There is no relationship between the other games so play them as you wish.

5 years ago*

The sad part of this is that there will never be an Icewind Dale 2 EE, as they have lost the source code for it. :(

5 years ago

I was wondering about that. :-P

To be honest I don't really care much myself, as I don't mind putting in the bit of work to get the non-EE editions working (and stacking all the mods on top). That's how I was used to playing the games, after all. But it's unfortunate for newer players. I know a few "classic" games I didn't play when they came out that I found myself unable to get into because the UI was so horribly outdated/clunky that it just overshadowed the supposedly legendary gameplay.

5 years ago

I have Icewind Dale 2 and Heart of Winter on CDs, but I am not sure how well they would run on Windows 8.1. I just wish I could buy the Icewind Dale 2 soundtrack as I love the music from the game. I had it when I purchased the Collector's Edition (remember when CE versions of video games came with a ton of extra goodies rather than just a couple of codes for consumable items?), but lost the CD. :(

5 years ago

Well, there's always GOG. It's GOG, so if they say it's going to run on Windows 8.1 I'm pretty sure it will. And if you don't want to buy it again there's forum discussions on how to get it working that should do it for the original version.

5 years ago

Thanks for the detailed response!

5 years ago

Planescape is more story based that the other games you've mentioned so if this is not your kettle of fish then Baldur's Gate is more balanced in terms of gameplay and storyline. ID as Nudiustertian has stated is mainly focused on the combat side with not much storyline. Personally out of the three, I liked the BG games the most as it had a nice balance of everything. BG2 is one of my favourite games of all time so for me that one is a must play if you only got to play one of these. I enjoyed all of these games so as long as you like these styles of games they are all good.

5 years ago*

Ok, that's something to think about!

Icewind Dale is the only one that's sort of a blind purchase for me here but maybe I will give each game a go for a few hours and then decide where to take it from there.

As far as similar games are concerned, I did enjoy Fallout 1 and Arcanum, and realllly enjoyed Fallout 2 amongst similar isometric CRPG-type games.

5 years ago

Fallout 2 is awesome. BG2 setting isn't as original but its more polished than Fallout 2 if that helps. Regardless of what you play, its a great collection to have. I did play these games before I had a steam account so my viewpoint might be slightly rose-tinted.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.