Hey all, i often browse steamgift and when i do i open links in background tabs.
Sometimes when i come back to that tab it's a (fishy) ad "Hey you, you won an Iphone etc..." if i press "back" button i end up on the correct (GA) page.
i use ghostery but i have no adblock.
Have i a virus or is it another google ads exploit ?

6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Is it happening for you ?

View Results
Yes it did
Yes it is
No, never
Adblock protect me

Ublock for the win

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

No, i think there is a malware that showing ads like this
download Anti Malware by Malwarebytes and scan it!

I am shocked that most of the people use ADblock on steamgift...

6 years ago

Ads here increase the loading times of pages A LOT. It least they do for me. Especially whenever I open multiple GA pages.

6 years ago

Thats weird, its totaly fine with me
I use Adblock always but not in the sites i want to support and you should do it also
They are putting efford in this site and we must support them

And i know the pain of using Adblock because i have a site also

6 years ago

I wasn't using an adblocker for the majority of the years that I've been here. However, in the last year or so I did notice a significant slow down when I'm not having it on.

Moreover, the ads displayed most of the times have nothing to do with my browsing history. They are not even targeted at people from the same country as I am.

I'd gladly support the site through other means. Unfortunately, as long as I have these issues while browsing with it off, I can't bring myself to not use it. You can call me an asshole or w/e, but I came to this conclusion since the first time I've seen slows down (I even tried not using it a month or 2 ago, but didn't manage to get past the 2 hours or so mark).

6 years ago

you are not an asshole ;p, i forgive you now..
the ads are not targeted at all ( iam getting ads about Dating site { i never used one before } )

slow loading is sucks
Good luck with you speed!

6 years ago

I use adblock on ALL sites unless I can't use it on them. Ads can contain malware or viruses.

6 years ago

No, Trustful sties like this is using Google Adsense and its from google so it also trustful no malware
blocking ads is a pain for site owners

6 years ago

And it can happen even then.

6 years ago

Yeah malware, not ads here.

6 years ago

Semi-related question: What is a good effiicent Add Blocker (for Firefox) ?
I stream a lot of TV shows and while Adblock Plus never managed to block all the ads for the last year it seems to have barely any effect at all.

6 years ago

I use uBlock Origin on both Chrome and Firefox, I've found it really effective.

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Thanks :) I saw in mentioned in the first reply and just deleted my old one and downloaded uBlock.
It can't be worse than Adblock Plus anyway so what do I have to lose :D I was getting ads pretty much evertime I pause a video.

6 years ago

Ublock.
Converted myself to it last year.
Does a much better job than adblock did (for me at least).
https://www.ublock.org/

6 years ago

Thanks :D Just downloaded it and will see how it goes a bit later with The Wire Season 3 :)

6 years ago

No worries.
I remember switching because of some dumb descision made by adblock. Cant remember what it was though!

6 years ago

The creator sold it and the new owners let certain companies pay them to allow "non-intrusive" ads get through the blocker unless you manually blocked them again.

6 years ago

that actually wasnt the reason i was thinking of, but another reason not to use it, ta!

6 years ago

I use a combination of AdBlock + and Ghostery. I've never had any problems with ads, and they're easy enough to turn on and off.

6 years ago

Thanks :) I'll try it out if uBlock doesn't do the trick. Is Ghostery an AdBlocker as well ? Just curious because I just deleted Adblock Plus before installing uBlock because I was wondering if having 2 addons that serve the same purpose might be a problem.

6 years ago

Ghostery is something else. It blocks tracking and certain kinds of cookies from running and/or being added to your browser. What it actually does for you, however, is largely determined by the settings you use. Your problem is something different.

6 years ago

I see. Another question if you don't mind.

Why would I turn them off since you mentioned that ? With Adblock I only used to do that if a website forced me to and for SteamGifts.

6 years ago

There may be some sites you do not wish blocked, either because you want adds/popups/tracking, or because the site security requires those things. In that instance, you may pause or suspend the blocking (temporarily, or permanently).

6 years ago

I see. I was just curious if there are other reasons beside those. Thanks again ;)

6 years ago

This

6 years ago

Sounds like a browser PUP. (Probably a sleazy toolbar add-on.) Malwarebytes AMW should find it for you. I recommend buying the full version. It's not that much, it's lifetime ownership, and it's very useful.

6 years ago

Not true.
Product Type: Software Licensing
License Type: Subscription License

= It's license (yearly). You can't upgrade to new version after this time...

6 years ago

I've only ever paid once, and I've been using it since 2007. Perhaps they've changed their subscription plan?

My account info reads:

Edition: Premium
License ID: XXXXXX
License Key: XXXXXX

6 years ago*

There are still free version that can be run manually from time-to-time.

6 years ago

Thx for your advice, i installed and run an analyse, nothing found. (Note : my problem happen sometimes).

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

6 years ago

Closed 6 years ago by Alphada.