i buid the PC and played many games and it is really awesome and powerful.
as a thank you for your help i created 2 small sgtools protected giveaways for you guys. Enter here sgtools protected giveaway level 2+

Part | Name | Price
Processor | intel core i7 7700k 4,2ghz | 349.22€
Motherboard | Asus ROG Strix Z270F | 151.95€
RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit | 131.57€
CPU-Cooler | Noctua nh-d15 | 90€
Power Supply | 600 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM Modular 80+ Gold | 101€
GPU | 8GB Gainward GeForce GTX 1070 Phoenix Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 | 424.95€
Case | Sharkoon M25-W | 55€
SSD | 250GB Samsung 950 evo m.2 ssd | 123€
HDD| 1000GB WD Blue WD10EZEX 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s | 48.07€

TOTAL: 1475€

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I would take SSD not HDD But thats just me

7 years ago

i took both. you would not take a hdd for documents?

7 years ago

Mostly becouse it issent got at storing data and then deleting it so if you instal a game and delete it you would lose some space on the HDD where SSD completly deletes it

7 years ago

What? No, that's not how a HDD works. When you delete files off a hard drive, that space is then available for reuse

7 years ago

No your carving the data in to a disc that is spining you lose like 0.001 % of the space when you delet somthinge from a HDD

7 years ago

No idea where you got that information from, but I do believe it to be 100.000% to be wrong.

7 years ago

That's over nine thousandssssssssssssssssssssss!

7 years ago

That's not true man, all interactions with the spinning disk are made by magnetism, nothing else really touches the disk, so the fact that it's spinning has no effect on that matter.

7 years ago

You don't lose space when you uninstall something on a hard drive.

7 years ago

That's not how they work.

7 years ago

No, like others have said, this is wrong. You might be thinking of bad sectors, but once you start getting those it's time to replace the drive.

7 years ago

That hasn't been a thing since the 70s bud :)

7 years ago

Maybe you are thinking of the old cassette tapes ^^

6 years ago

I don't know where you got your info, but its not true at all.
There is a table like structure contained in every partitions which track every written files and their corresponding location in the hardware. So when you delete the file it just rewrites the table stating corresponding position on the hardware is empty and ready for reuse. The actual data isn't really lost.
HDD, SSD or other flash drives never completely delete data. They can be recovered unless the space where the previous data were overwritten.

And deleting never damages the drive, it's mostly wear and tear in terms of HDD. And for SSD its the write and rewrite cycles, if done in excessive amount, but it only amounts to extremely small volume of space. Most SSD come with basic firmware that reroutes the damaged part of SSDs, so there is nothing to worry about.

6 years ago

Ignore that, it's the right way to go, SSD for software and HDD for media files.

7 years ago

+1 hybrids FTW

7 years ago

yes, thanks xD

6 years ago

All in all its an good system, but maybe you should take an m2 ssd for the OS, also be Quiet is a very good company for power supply, just take one with cable management and 80+ or 85+

7 years ago

what is the big difference between a standard ssd and an m2? also which power supply should i take? with which watt 500? 600?

7 years ago

The difference is mostly speed, a m2 is faster, which helps with loading times (also it is connected directly to the mainboard, which gives your case a "cleaner" look)

I think 600 would be enough. but if you want to overclock, add more fans or lights you should go with a 850 watt PSU

You can also consider a 6700k for your system, the difference between the 7700k and the 6700k are minimal

7 years ago*

If the prices for i7 are anything like around here then they're basically the same price and should just get the newest, higher clocked one. m2 are too pricey, not worth it right now, performance difference is daily usage is negligible.

7 years ago

thats true if they are the same price, but if there is a difference >25€ its not worth it, because the difference is only the build in gpu, which he wouldnt use (there is literally no performance jump between 6xxx and 7xxx right now)

7 years ago

Around here its' actually cheaper. Yeah, really. I don't get it, but hey, good for whoever can afford it.

7 years ago

Enermax also has really good power supplies with cable Management. For example:
Enermax Revolution87+ http://www.enermax.co.uk/power-supplies/revolution87/ or
Enermax Platimax http://www.enermax.co.uk/power-supplies/platimax/

7 years ago

A m2 SSD goes on your motherboard, while a regular SATA SSD is connected via a cable. Your motherboard needs a M2 slot and it needs to be positioned in such a way that your GPU will not melt the SSD with its heat.
It's faster.
Basically Samsung 960 instead of 850.

7 years ago

There are two kinds of M.2 drives: Ones that use the SATA (no better then a regular SSD) and ones that use NVMe (4x PCIe lanes, MUCH faster then SATA). If you get an NVMe based one, like the Samsung 960 evo/pro, you'll be able to load some games quite a bit faster. However, your CPU will become the bottleneck for load times once you have a drive that fast, and in quite a few cases the appreciable speed difference will be negligible as a result.

7 years ago

You can get a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo with SATA or M.2...you think the M.2 version is faster? It's still a SATA3 disk.
If you're going with M.2 for speed you have to drop SATA3 and go with a disk that support PCIe Gen3 NVMe and then not just any disk as some of them are still basically SATA3 disks with a new interface (the cheapest ones). Those are typically quite a bit more expensive per GB than the regular SATA3 disks.

7 years ago

I put all your parts into PC PartPicker and found no compability issues (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZjG6X), but I have a question: Why would you go so much into an enthusiast build if it is your first gaming PC? Why not try something more beginner friendly, and then look if you like it or not? 1500€ is a lot of money and you can get a very good PC for 800€ already (unless you really really want to have 4k60fps).

Why not use a i5 non-k and go with a 500 GB SSD only? Do you really need so much data? Why not just buy a external backup drive? Just trying to give some advice here, if you are sure you want a hardcore build, go ahead. Maybe others can help you a bit out with the power supply (it should have 500W minimum. I have a be quiet! one and it's really noise-friendly).

7 years ago

What's the point in buying a slower external drive when he can just shove one in his PC right off the bat? And he's not getting anywhere near 4k60fps with a 1070, the only one that can do that is 1080ti.

7 years ago

Not even the 1080ti

7 years ago

You can never have enough data. running a 2 TB drive, a 3 TB drive, a 4 TB drive, a 120 GB SSD, and a 480GB SSD

7 years ago

How much NSFW stuff do you have to download, haha?

7 years ago

I do backup everything at least once, have hundreds of movies and TV series, music, and the better part of my steam library in case steam decides to die, but that's just me. Storage is stupid cheap, so I don't mind it.

7 years ago

As mentioned by UEI I'd ditch the HDD. And maybe pick cheaper SSDs to fit the budget.
As mentioned by verrueckteriwan, it would make sense to grab a 6700k rather than a 7700k to save some $$ with no noticeable performance drop (depends on the price difference at your retailers)

As for the PSU, 500W ish should be plenty. I'm running a 6700k + 1060 on 330W (it's a laptop though)
Edit : I just saw you want to OC. Well, maybe rather 600W then, just to be safe

m2 is faster (if PCIE) than standard SSD, but IMHO it makes a lot more sense to have 2 SATA SSDs rather than 1 PCIE SSD + 1 slow-as-hell HDD.

7 years ago*

The HDD is likely for long term data storage, it's fine.

7 years ago

Yeah the HDD won't be a horrible bottleneck, but now that I've tasted the comfort of 100% SSD I can't go back ^^
That's more room to place some programs (500 GB isn't much, particularly when you can't use them all because over-provisioning), and unziping stuff at 300MB/s (or 600MB/s if transferring from one drive to the other) is neat. Also, things like Git and Android Studio seem a lot happier when your code resides on an SSD :)

7 years ago

How much do you really need for software? Anything over 500 seems overkill.

7 years ago

Come to think of it, the reason I use a lot of SSD space is because I have 120 GiB eaten up by Bitcoin (and about as much "reserved" for the lifetime of the PC) on my secondary drive.
Apart from that, I'm currently using 25 GiB for Windows + 100 GiB for programs (including only <5 GiB of games ATM). But I set up that laptop just a few months ago, so it sure will grow...
I also reserved ~80-90GiB for over-provisioning on the 500 GB drive.

7 years ago

It seems a little like overkill - I can run pretty much every current game I've tried on ultra and I spent a lot less money. But it's entirely your call and it would certainly be more future-proof than my system. I asked about PSUs a while back and got some good answers, if you are uncertain you might want to check that topic out. I went with a be Quiet PSU in the end and I'm really pleased with it.

7 years ago

thanks. i will check it out. i wanted to build an overkill pc because i will keep it for a long time and it should be future proof and run everything on the highest settings at least on 1080p and 4k at least 40 fps.

7 years ago

I used to do that but somewhere along the way I decided it was cheaper to upgrade bits as I actually needed them. Games generally don't need the latest CPU to play them on ultra - and it can cost less to keep buying the last generation CPU when you actually have a problem rather than splurge once on the newest CPU. Although, to be fair, by that stage I had decided I had enough of a backlog to mostly buy games when they went 75% off rather than grabbing the latest releases...

I can play things like GTA V and Skyrim Special Edition on Ultra at 1080p at good fps on an old AMD bulldozer and a 1050 Ti if that gives you anything to judge by.

7 years ago*

What are the specs of your main display? resolution, refresh rate and response time. You should keep that in mind. Honestly, I agree with heavenhairsixes, this is overkill for a first time PC. There´s so many good options at a lower cost. AMD has proven to be "future proof" with their R9 series GPUs, they´re still pretty damn good. Have you seen second market HW on facebook or other sites in your country? In my opinion you should hit the 1080p spot first. I´ve been out of the HW reviews for a while but there are 1080p monitors with high refresh rate (144HZ) and 1ms response time If you´re into that, even 60 FPS is decent. Hell, yo have a ton of possibilities with less money. AMD´s RX470 or 480 is the way to go for 1080p on a budget imo considering their DX12 support and I think new GPU´s from them are coming. Sure, a SSD as main will help, (Crucial Arc 100, Kingston HyperX etc). Do you really need 500 gigs on the SSD?. For the CPU, even an i7 2600k still packs a punch, yes It was a future proof CPU back in the day, but a this moment you don´t need to buy latest tech. Also those new Intel CPUs only work on Windows 10 I think.

Price/performance over premium is my advice. Good luck.

7 years ago*

Wonder If a Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler ain´t enough for what you want.

7 years ago

Wait for Ryzen 5, wait for Vega.

7 years ago

I wouldn't, he needs a gaming PC, not an editing machine, those 5 million cores are useless for his needs and it has worse gaming performance. Not by much but still.

7 years ago

Yes, that's why I said "Ryzen 5"

7 years ago*

Ryzen 5 is out now though? Do you expect Intel to drop irces?

7 years ago

For a power supply you should go with an EVGA, Super Flower or Seasonic, GOLD rating, 600+ W to leave room for OC, modular. I would change that Gainward 1070 with the Asus Strix version, it has the best cooling, OC possibility.

7 years ago

I think you could save a little money if you buy a processor just a bit inferior. I have an i5-4690K and it's more than enough for me. But if money is not a problem for you, then go right ahead and get yourself an i7 ;)

7 years ago

In the long run it's best to go with an i7, more juice for later if needed.

7 years ago

There is big chance that the juice will be cheaper in time too :o

7 years ago

The CPU is the last thing people might upgrade due to change in sockets, most cases the one you get initially is the one you have for that PCs entire lifetime, best to get the best one within your budget.

7 years ago

You can buy a regular Phoenix GPU and flash it with Phoenix GLH firmware from their website, thats what I did. The actual graphics cards are exactly the same.

7 years ago

the only difference is the firmware? how do i do this flashing? can you explain it a bit because i dont know anything about this. i tought the glh has higher specs and performance.

7 years ago

You just download and run an exe file on their website to update the firmware. The Gainward Phoenix, GS and GLH graphic cards are all the same model with different firmwares and the firmware is basically a factory overclock.

7 years ago*

They're the same but cherrypicked to be able to handle running slightly higher without running into issues.
Depending on how lucky or unlucky you are and the price difference where you live (which can sometimes be pretty small) the GS might still be worth it. (not GLH though)

7 years ago

I think a big question is what type of games will you be playing? Will you be playing RTS, RPG, FPS, etc? In most cases an i7 might be a bit much and you could be just fine with an i5-K. And putting the difference in cost towards a better GPU. No doubt an SSD is the way to go. An i7 is great for future proofing but will beefier CPU benefit better frame rates? I would prioritize your budget based on the games you will be playing for next few years or however long you intend to keep your PC.

7 years ago*

i will keep my pc until it goes on fire xD
lets say forever. wouldnt an i5 bottleneck if i purchased a better gpu like an 1080?
i will play all triple a titles from now and future.

7 years ago

an i5 will not bottleneck you that much, but it highly depends on the game, some need more cpu power, some more gpu power and some just need a lot of ram.
The good thing is, that you also could upgrade your cpu later (for example a six or 8 core, if intel ever realse something more affordable).
but upgrading from 1070 to a 1080 seems like waste to me, it would be better to just wait for a new generation to be released

7 years ago

You can't upgrade your CPU without upgrading the rest, unless Intel decide to release a 8-core CPU for that socket in 3 years, which typically doesn't happen :P

7 years ago

Thats true for a new generation, but if they release an 8 core in the 7xxx range he would still be able to use it ;)

7 years ago

They will not release an 8 core chip for this socket. 99.71% sure.
Intel roadmaps are public and whatnot.

7 years ago

I would say you will lose this bet ^^ I cant imagine why there wouldnt be a Skylake and a kaby lake extreme edition :) and yes, you can see that in the roadmap too :p

7 years ago

What makes you think they will run on the same motherboards? The last four generations of -E chips all were on LGA 2011, while the regular desktop CPUs of those were on LGA 1155 and LGA 1150.

7 years ago

well jeah, the X were always 2011-3 and this socket is 1151, the quest always is if intel will stick to the policy if AMD will be competitive again (in the past it was like that when AMD was a good alternate to Intel, but since that changed Intel was just a douchebag :D )

7 years ago

Triple A titles doesn't say much. A cpu is overrated most games are GPU heavy but for 1080 60 FPS gaming a 1060 would even do just fine same goes for a I5.

7 years ago

In my experience most games don't require anything like the latest CPU and a higher powered GPU will generally make far more of a difference. I think an i5 and a better graphics card would be a better option for most gaming. It will vary by game though (some are far more CPU intensive than others) and people here who know more about this kind of thing may well have more informed opinions.

7 years ago

If you want to keep it 'forever', maybe a Ryzen R7 (1700X) is a better option :P

7 years ago

thats a good system , i would take more space but thats just me i have 4 tera at my computer and i am thinking of getting 2 terra more

7 years ago

haha, jeah, if you have the space available you will most likely use it, but for starting 1 TB will be enough, also hdd space is the easiest part to upgrade

7 years ago

for me its an addiction :P congrats on your new pc tho have fun with it :D

7 years ago

You must have a slow download speed....
Or you record stuff.
Or you have never heard off uninstall :P
Or porn

7 years ago*

No nothing like that i just like having many games installed , i dont have any good reasons why i do that i just like it
I do record some gameplay tho thats true

7 years ago

what is on your 4tb hdd? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7 years ago

Many installed games i like having them there some gameplay recordings and stuff like that

7 years ago

Yeah - I have 1 x 2 TB hybrid, 1 x 2 TB HDD and 1 x 3 TB HDD and I'm struggling...

7 years ago

I have a total of 9 TB HHD, and about 700GB SSD, still struggling. It's never enough... I do backup everything at least once though, have hundreds of movies and TV series, music, and the better part of my steam library in case steam decides to die, but that's just me

7 years ago

My main issue is that I use my computer for sound production and I have a vast number of high resolution audio samples stored and I can't delete any of them in case someday they are exactly what I need...

7 years ago

OP doesn't seem to have such ambitions.

7 years ago

you are also feeling me bro hehe

7 years ago

you are feeling me bro :D

7 years ago

1tb hdd only? I'd take 2tb at least.

7 years ago

I think I should warn you that if you plan to keep this computer long-term, you will more than likely need to upgrade your HDD or add additional drives, especially if you're a media or game junkie. In which case, the 1TB you have listed for storage might fill up rather quickly. Of course, mechanical HDDs are relatively cheap so adding additional drives later probably won't be much of an issue.

Although, it might also be a good idea to research if an online storage solution might fit your needs if physical storage space becomes an issue. That is, if you wouldn't mind a subscription fee for such a service, and your current level of internet service wouldn't hinder you.

But as for the specific HDD you chose, I can vouch that WD is a good brand. I should also note that the WD Blue series which you chose has a 2-year limited warranty, whereas the WD Black series is more performance-oriented and is backed by a 5-year limited warranty, but costs more. It's up to you whether you think the longer warranty justifies the higher price, but if you plan to keep the drive itself for as long as possible, it might be worth considering.

7 years ago

No no and no.

If you are keeping your PC long term you just need to clean your HDD and make sure you delete stuff if you longer use it.

7 years ago

Deleting is overrated ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7 years ago

If OP plans to maintain a locally stored movie or music collection (not in cloud storage), deleting them might not be an option. But yes, you are quite right. If there are stuff that is no longer needed, by all means, delete it. I was simply making a suggestion in the case that normal hard drive housekeeping isn't enough.

7 years ago

I don't get why people would still download music or movies. You easily stream them from websites like youtube etc.

I know you were making a suggestion. :) I making one aswell :)

7 years ago

Well, there are still some people out there who still want physical possession of their own stuff rather than have access to it from sone cloud server halfway around the world. Heck, I remember back when Steam itself was new and there were people who weren't entirely sure of not "owning" their own games. And look where we are now. :P

7 years ago

I have a 2TB and it feels good. Regular gamers don't need 2TB though unless they never delete games they finish ever. (Or unless they're steamjunkies that are blissfully ignorant to the fact that steam is the only gaming platform that leaves large amounts of unnecessary data on your machine after you hit uninstall that needs to be manually removed.)

7 years ago

If I were you I'd get rid of the SSD so you can afford a 1080 instead so you get better game performance.

Hard drive loading times are so good SSDs are highly irrelevant for their price point.

Unless you just REALLY want an extra fraction of a second that you won't really even see for 5 years when hard drives would typically degrade, then I suggest making way for the best GPU you can get considering that'll be your bottleneck with a CPU that good.

7 years ago

Hard drive loading times are so good SSDs are highly irrelevant for their price point.

For loading games, sure but it makes you OS so much snappier too. I can boot up in less than 10 seconds on my 2.5 year old PC, and indexing is faster too.

7 years ago

See persons with SSDs say that. "i can boot up in 10 seconds." or "3 seconds" or "1 second". I don't really get it though.

I get home, I turn on my pc, and before I can even take my first shoe off, everything is loaded. And I don't have an SSD. My browser always starts up and loads things pretty much instantly. I don't see what SSDs have that I don't have with a hard drive. Even on my 3 y/o hard drive. I don't see what speed I am lacking that paying an extra truckload of cash for an SSD would get me.

7 years ago

Depending on your style.

I don't want anything related to my OS on regular harddrive anymore. SSD/M.2 is really really on a different level.

7 years ago

If I had enough cash to get an SSD in addition to a good computer I would. But my style is prioritizing game performance above anything else. Hence why I have a GTX 1070, an intel i7 6700k, and then a 2TB hard drive and the cheapest motherboard/power supply I could find that limits the upgradability of my PC to like...incapable of upgrade. (Since I never do upgrades anyway, I just always buy a brand new PC every 3 years or so to get everything fresh.)

7 years ago

A SSD is by far the most effective upgrade for an old PC. Buying a new one without one gimps it entirely.

I don't have an SSD

7 years ago*

This is coming from the guy that likes to put words in my mouth all the time instead of having human conversations. I think I'll take your advice with a lot more than a grain of salt.

7 years ago

You already proved elsewhere that you fail at reading basic English sentences and have an inexplicable amount of hostility towards the rest of the world.

7 years ago

Y'know pot calling the kettle black is just a little ironic.

7 years ago

your computer build is calculated to be about 430 watts so you want at least 500 watt power supply

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

I built a similar system about a year ago. It was more high-end than I needed at the time, and I could've been perfectly happy saving a bit. Looking at your build I'd personally try to save on video card if I could. I only have GTX 970 and don't push things too hard. If you really want a high end card go for it. But make sure it's worth it to you. You can probably save a good chunk of change there if you don't need top notch graphic resolutions/speed. For me I prefer to turn settings down a bit and run cooler and quieter instead of pushing things. I like Nvidea video, and they tend to run at lower heat/power requirements. On cooling, I used a cryorig H7 cooler that I've been happy with, keeps cpu cool, is quiet and easy to install. I decided against overclocking as it does everything I need as is, but the board and cpu can do it if at some point in the future I want to. But I prefer quiet and cool to extra bit of speed.

If I had to do a build again, I'd probably just go with a single larger SSD. I think Mushkin has a 1 TB SSD that I was considering that's pretty good for about the price of the Samsung + WD HDD I ended up getting. (I have both 500G Samsung SSD and a 1TB WD HDD myself, and main thing I use the WD for is to download steam games and store some data files. I currently am using 77 of 465G on the SSD, and 230G of 1TB on the HDD, so single SSD would've been plenty. It's a small thing, but my HDD spins down and then has to spin back up occassionally when I'm working on something, and the SSD wouldn't have that issue.)

I got a Seasonic power supply on sale and have been happy with it. There's a guy online that reviews and tears apart all the power supplies somewhere, and I found his reviews useful. Depending on how much juice your video card needs make sure to match that requirement to your power supply (that card probably sucks alot of power), but be aware some power supplies are truer to their reported figures than others. And there's an optimal range the powersupplies run at, you don't want too small, but you also don't want too much. You want something that's "just right" with maybe a tad extra. The main problems in my past that I have had with my computers (crashes, disk corruption, random reboots etc) have been around flaky power supplies. A good power supply is worth it in imho. (I run a battery back-up/ power conditioner in front of mine too. Maybe it's overkill, but unclean power can cause weird things to happen in computers and troubleshooting is now fun. I don't like messing with it and a good powersupply reduces that chance alot in my experience.).

I don't know what monitor you have, but I'm very happy I went w/ a Sceptre 27" monitor I found on sale. My eyes are not good, and it's so easy to see.

I added a CD/DVD drive. Unsure if you want, but I still need to upload software from disk from time to time. They're pretty cheap.

I shopped at newegg, unsure if there's something similar where you are, but for alot of the parts I always checked whatever was on sale. For many of the parts I wasn't locked in and got a great case on huge sale, got RAM on sale, I think my Gigabyte mobo was on sale, I think my video card was on sale, my i7-6700k was on sale I think etc... Had to deal with some rebate forms and that kind of thing, but it can make a difference if you're tight on cash.

7 years ago

Pretty good build man. I recently built my first gaming pc as well. I used a site called pcpartpicker to help me choose all my stuff. It can show you if all your parts are compatible, how much wattage you will need on your psu, and will let you compare prices for your parts so you can get them at the cheapest possible.

As for your build it seems solid. I personally would've gone with a case with more top clearance so I could install an AIO cooler, but that noctua is definitely solid in comparison. Just be sure you have enough room in the case for it as I've heard its pretty tall. Also when you do get your psu make sure you get one that is modular, you don't want to deal with non-removable cables in a case that size. Good luck with your build!

7 years ago

I would change the RAM for higher latency ones like 3000 or 3200 Mhz otherwise it looks good :d

7 years ago

You could save a lot of money at that CPU speed by going AMD, and then spend the money on an SSD for boot (keep the HDD for storage) to speed things up, as well as a better PSU. [Sorry, I am a total PSU snob...used to write articles about the subject, and am pretty picky when it comes to brands and having enough power...so you can take that with a grain of salt if you want...just remember that EVERYTHING in your machine is hooked up to it, and if it dies, other things sometimes die as well. I spend money on PSUs and use them for multiple builds...always a good investment IMO.]

Also, for about $20-$25 more, you could double your HDD storage. My gaming PC is 6.5TB (4TB WD Black, 2TB WD Black, 512Gb Samsung EVO SSD :) ), and with a big Steam collection, you'll eat up space fast if you don't constantly uninstall stuff.

Also, that CPU cooler is awesome, but you can get something equivalent in the $40-$60 range and use that money for the above-mentioned HDD. A lot of time you can find high-end Zalman coolers that are a few years old on closeout that still work with new procs, and they will likely perform to the level (or at least really close) of that Noctua. Unless you're doing a big OC or something, you don't need an $85 CPU cooler.

Hope that helps...

7 years ago

the psu is not good? which one would you recommend?

7 years ago

It's ok: http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/be-quiet-straight-power-10-cm-600w-review/7/

This brand's main focus is on, as you would guess, being really quiet. This is all fine and good, but shouldn't be the #1 factor for a gaming rig...you want power and stability, a single 12V rail that doesn't waver no matter what you throw at it.

I tend to like EVGA, Corsair (depends upon model), Thermaltake (depends upon model), Silverstone (expensive, but good), and Seasonic (same), and XFX. I've also installed NZXT and Zalman PSUs that have been quite good as well. In the past, I would have always recommended Enermax (their customer service was the best), but they haven't been on the radar lately, so they're probably not on the short list any more. I also think you could use a little more overall horsepower for a gaming rig (so that if you decide to do SLI or anything in the future, you have plenty of overhead for that option).

This Tom's Hardware article is by no means exhaustive, but it's a good rogue's gallery of current stuff: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Out of that list, here's your winner for price/performance: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153309&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink2-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=8167422&SID=j0vhpw06090035wt00053

It's $10-$15 cheaper than what you've listed, has 25% more power (even more at peak), and on top of that has a really cool RGB-programmable fan (if you're into that). The only reason it's not 5-star on Newegg is because someone got one that was DOA. EVERY manufacturer makes a bad one once in a while. If I were putting together this build, that's the one I'd get based upon current prices.

BTW...nice choice on the case. That's a nice case for the money -- I like the integrated dedicated sound card. There's something to be said for that. If you want a clean look, those are good cases at a budget price.

7 years ago*

the psu brand is actually really good, it's just overpriced to hell so it isn't worth it unless there is a big sale. also, your winner is 750W which is probably overkill. 600 should be more than enough

7 years ago

Oh yeah, it's good...but not the best. And as you pointed out, definitely not the best for the price. :)

And when is 750W overkill? My PSU is 1.2KW. :D :D :D
(Admittedly, I don't need 1.2KW...a lot of the reason that I chose mine was for aesthetics, and I know that's not important to a lot of people. But I'm "that guy" that spends a ton of time designing the system, case, etc., doing wire management, etc.)

7 years ago

most ppl only need ~500. Are you planning to crossfire?

7 years ago

This is partially just me geeking out. But I haven't bothered installing anything under 750W in any PC I've built in probably almost 10 years. When the price difference is pretty negligible between a 750W and a 600W, you just give yourself the headspace. And in this case, I've already found the OP a better PSU for less money that he had originally budgeted. :)

I tend to run a lot of drives (at one point, I had four HDDs and an SSD along with 3 optical drives...that's now down to 2 HDDs, 1 SSD, and 2 bluRay drives), fan controller/lots o' fans (good airflow is key...but I also want it to be quiet when not gaming, so many fans with a controller gives you this granularity), lighting effects, and blah blah blah. When you have many devices, even when the total wattage may not push your peak, you still need to consider amperage...that's actually where most people start hitting the wall. Higher-wattage PSUs tend to also have more available amperage on the 12V rail, so there is less worry about load and fluctuation.

I'm not running crossfire or SLI right now, but have in the past...and I like having that option, and not having to worry about upgrading the PSU if I add a second card. The reality is that two of the best investments you can make in a gaming PC are the PSU and the display...because those two things can easily carry over between builds, whereas a lot of the rest of the components will be replaced as tech changes. PSUs and monitors have long lives, so I believe in getting something really good there.

7 years ago

I hate to be "that guy" but it is one of my pet peeves. The word you want to use is "advice" (noun) not "advise" (verb). Thanks, and sorry...

"Need advice." - Correct
"Please advise." - Correct

7 years ago

overpriced psu, ram, and unnecessarily expensive motherboard

That psu brand is good but not worth it unless you can get it on a great sale. Look into seasonic
You can find that much ram for $30 less easily
You can probably get a z170 and see no difference in performance

7 years ago

+1 on the RAM. Look at G.Skill...amazing RAM, never had a stick fail, and usually 10%-20% cheaper than Kingston.

7 years ago

BUMP. giveaways added.

6 years ago

6 years ago

you are welcome :D

6 years ago

i just ordered an XFX RX 560 but i only have about £200 to get the rest of my new build.

If i can get the motherboard + cpu + memory i think that will be enough .
Maybe also a new tower case.
Yes i'm on a low budget :)

6 years ago

i dont know how much you can get with 200 pounds but if you try to find some used parts you can definitely get a decent pc which can run todays games on mid to high settings.

6 years ago

i was looking at pcpartpicker .

Most people seem to recommend the Intel - Pentium G4560 if you're on a low budget.

Compared to what i'm using atmo anything would be an upgrade for me :)

6 years ago

Bump

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.