If you don't know what I'm talking about or you want to know more, click here and make sure you have an antivirus installed so you don't get into the same situation as me.

I recently got it on my laptop, and I don't know whether or not to wait or to reinstall Windows now. I have 63 hours left in the countdown.

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you have the virus?

View Results
Yes
No

Man, that must suck. I'd hate to get something like that. Where you running an anti-virus program? If so, which one?
This reminds me, I must back up my music collection.

8 years ago

Keep backups of everything, reinstall Windows. Sometimes even if you pay they don't unlock it. So best not to rely on cyber-terrorists with their demands.

8 years ago

If you have licensed anti-virus - contact support, they might help you to decrypt everything (they will require some example files from you). Otherelse - format your drives and reinstall everything. To pay that bitches is not a good idea anyway.

8 years ago

Thats why you should backup all your important stuff. Just format it.

8 years ago

Did you look at the internet for more details? I have never heard of this virus before, so I decided to look it up. So I found an article with some interesting information:

"two security firms – Milpitas, Calf. based FireEye and Fox-IT in the Netherlands — launched decryptcryptolocker.com, a site that victims can use to recover their files. Victims need to provide an email address and upload just one of the encrypted files from their computer, and the service will email a link that victims can use to download a recovery program to decrypt all of their scrambled files."

Not sure if I can share the link here, but just google it and you will find.
Hope it helps you somehow.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

8 years ago

But did you try the site they mentioned? All you gotta do is provide an e-mail and send one of the encrypted files, so they can look if a key is available for you.

8 years ago

My brother's notebook got hit by this months ago. Unless you have a clean data backup you may be screwed. If you have Windows Vista or higher you could try running a program called Shadow Copy Explorer I think it is called -- to try and recover some unencrypted versions of files that were compromised. Another possibility would be to use a data recovery program to scan for deleted files to try and find the original versions of files that may have been encrypted by the ransomware -- my understanding is they usually create copies of files, encrypt the copies, and then delete the originals. Unfortunately there is rarely an available tool or program that can decrypt or fix the compromised files. Whatever you do I would not recommend paying the ransom as this only feeds into the scam... plus there is no guarantee that you will get your files decrypted. You are dealing with a criminal after all. I would just ignore the warnings from the ransomware and get it removed from the system as quickly as possible to stop it from encrypting more files. Good luck man, dealing with this shit sucks!

8 years ago*

Chances are that if it locks you from enterying windows, there are already currently viruses doing its work right now as long as ur computer is on, i would avoid running your pc at all cost and just take out the harddrive and back files in there up.

8 years ago

You dun goofed

8 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by DirtyAtom.