Unfortunately, since January 2017, Stylish has been augmented with bonus spyware that records every single website that I and its 2 million other users visit. Stylish sends our complete browsing activity back to its servers, together with a unique identifier.
This allows it’s new owner, SimilarWeb, to connect all of an individual’s actions into a single profile. And for users like me who have created a Stylish account on userstyles.org, this unique identifier can easily be linked to a login cookie.
This means that not only does SimilarWeb own a copy of our complete browsing histories, they also own enough other data to theoretically tie these histories to email addresses and real-world identities.

source
https://robertheaton.com/2018/07/02/stylish-browser-extension-steals-your-internet-history/
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/8vq7cx/stylish_browser_extension_steals_all_your/e1pi7h1/

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Are you going to UNINSTALL Stylish?

View Results
YES! no one should have access to my browsing history!
NO! I dont care about my personal data , let them have everything!

I initially installed stylish to get rid of white flashes from using the dark theme userscript but uninstalled it just now since this. No big deal for me to not use it. Thanks for the PSA.

5 years ago

Can't uninstall what was never installed. But I see it's an open-source project. If I would use it, I'd do so with my own build with the spyware stripped out. Thanks for the warning!

5 years ago

Use the Stylus extension instead (Firefox, Chrome). It's open source and doesn't contain any spyware.

5 years ago

At the moment. Is there anything preventing whoever has access to uploading Stylus to the store(s) from going commercial and replacing it with something malicious?

Note that I'm not slagging off Stylus here, but it seems to me like this can happen to any extension, even if they're currently completely open and vetted. It would just be a little more obvious if it happened to an open source extension with multiple developers.

5 years ago

No, that's a risk with every piece of software you install on your computer including extensions. I switched from Stylish to Stylus back when they sold the extension to SimilarWeb and stopped releasing the sources. I heard about the sale on ghacks.net, and https://reddit.com/r/privacy

Of course there is a level of trust in everything you install, so the fewer programs you have the smaller the attack vector. Personally I consider Stylus and the other few extensions I use trustworthy and worth the risk.

5 years ago

+1 for switching to Stylus. Been using it since "the big Stylish update"

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

+1, I switched too when they sold.

5 years ago

I just switched over. It's nice!

5 years ago

Absolutely horrifying.

5 years ago

I was using the legacy version of Stylish for Firefox and that apparently did not have the spyware in it. It was in the Chrome version when it came out and only recently included in the Firefox version. Basically (I think) if there is no option to opt-out then it doesn't have the spyware. Still I uninstalled Stylish and installed Stylus as I don't want to support any company that does this.

5 years ago

Thanks for the info, I just removed it. The only thing I was using it for was a dark theme for SG and I already have Tampermonkey installed. I didn't know I could also use the dark theme through Tampermonkey. From what I hear in the news almost every day, I'm sure there are plenty of other companies already spying on me and selling my info, but one less is a start.

5 years ago

Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken most companies that gather information on people don't tie your data to unique identifier like this does.

5 years ago

I think a lot of companies collect information specifically for the purpose of identifying people and creating profiles on them. They want to be able to tie the information to a specific person in order to create psychological profiles and a history of everything they do so that they can sell the info to advertisers, police, or other corporations/agencies that can use it, basically whoever will pay the most money.

5 years ago

I am very not surprised

5 years ago

Can't happen if you keep using Internet Explorer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 years ago

Not using this, but bump for awareness!

5 years ago

Whoever at SimilarWeb approved this, as well as those who implemented it, should be thrown in jail. But seeing SimilarWeb is based out of Israel (a place which has very weak privacy laws afaik) they probably wont be.

5 years ago*

I've been using Stylish for a long time, and yesterday or day before that I got a pop-up in Firefox saying: "Stylish - Custom themes for any website is known to cause security or stabilility issues." and they automatically disabled it. However I choose to have it activated anyway, because I didn't think they would actually do something like this. I'm glad you made this thread, now I know what the Firefox's warning was about and I'll delete the extension.

I wonder can I have them remove all information collected about me by invoking GDPR. I assume I just need to send them (Stylish owners) an e-mail saying I want my information deleted?

5 years ago

They should comply with GDPR request, do not know what is the best way to reach them tho

5 years ago

Read my comment below.

5 years ago

I only had it because of the color theme SG thingy and then when it stopped supporting it, I never removed Stylish nor downloaded other extensions so it was just silently sitting there watching me all this time...

5 years ago

I found this on Stylish website about how to request deletion of data under applicable law (such as the GDPR in Europe).

Where provided under applicable law (such as within the European Union), you may have the right to ask us to delete Personal Information which you have provided to us, subject to applicable exceptions, such as in order to preserve that information for anticipated litigation or demands from a regulator, or some or all of the following rights: the right to obtain information on our use of your Personal Information, the right to obtain a copy thereof, the right of data rectification, the right to data portability, the right to object to processing based on our legitimate interests, the right to restriction of the processing, and the right to withdraw your consent. To assert any of these rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer at: dpo@userstyles.org. Note that we may request proof of identity, and we reserve the right to charge a fee where allowed by law, such as in circumstances where your request is excessive. In addition, you may have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, subject to applicable law (as is the case in the European Union).

Basically send an e-mail to their "Data Protection Officer" at dpo@userstyles.org asking for deletion of data collected from you. Do note that they might request proof of identity or ask for a fee to delete data.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Alright, let me know how it goes. I still haven't sent them an e-mail, I forgot. If yours goes well I'll send them one for sure.

5 years ago

Thank you for heads up, uninstalled.

5 years ago

Oh wow! Thank you bump

5 years ago

Found out that I had both Stylish and Stulus in my Firefox. Firefox had automatically deactivated Stylish so I guess no big harm done. Now its definetly removed instead. Thx for the headsup.

5 years ago

Thanks a lot for this, switching to Stylus now!

5 years ago

Is Stylebot safe?

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

trash extension, it went down a few month ago with their new updates...
stylus is way better and cleaner. ❤️️

5 years ago

Good to know, but Stylish is crap anyways - Stylus is much more reliable all-in-all.

5 years ago

I've been using this instead:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/styl-us/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylus/clngdbkpkpeebahjckkjfobafhncgmne

Privacy Policy
Unlike other similar extensions, we don't find you to be all that interesting. Your questionable browsing history should remain between you and the NSA. Stylus collects nothing. Period.

5 years ago

Have you noticed and change in the CPU load with this? FF always ramps up to 25% all the time when I'm using it even without ANY style on.

5 years ago

I did notice Stylish got turned out by FF, didn't know it's due to something like that. So thanks for info :D

5 years ago

i don't mind, as long as it's "stylish" enough.

it really depends on what you're offering me in exchange.

that said, thanks for PSA!

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.