8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The next Final Fantasy that will come to PC/Steam is:

View Results
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 12

There are around 14 Pokemon games if I am not mistaken.

8 years ago

R/B/Y, Silver & Gold, R/S/E, D/P/Plt, B/W, B/W2, X/Y, Sun & Moon
FRLG, SSHG, ORAS

20+ from just the main series games. Eveeeeeenn way more with all the spinoff games.
TCG, Pinball, Stadium, other 64 games, there's XD and Colosseum, Pokken, tons of puzzle games, Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, list goes on.

Even if you don't count the separate but same generation games, it'll end up coming to a lot more than 14.

8 years ago*

Is Pokemon considered a gaming franchise? Wasn't Pokemon originally a cartoon?

8 years ago

The whole media franchise started with Pocket Monsters Red and Green in japan.

8 years ago

Pokemon was first a game , that then spawned a manga series , that then became a anime

8 years ago

It started off as a pair of Gameboy Color old school black & white (or is that dark gray on green-ish ?) games early in 1996. The card game followed later that year, the cartoon the year after.

So technically it's a gaming franchise as that's where the starting point was, it just branched out to other media quite fast.

8 years ago*

Super gameboy compatible games, gameboy color didn't come out til 98

8 years ago

derp. fixed.

8 years ago

lol happens to the best of us.

8 years ago

View attached image.
8 years ago

Actually I wanted to say anime but wasn't sure if it was Japanese or not. :D

8 years ago

Thanks.

8 years ago

Love Pokemon but you don't know enough about Final Fantasy [no offense]

Base series [15 games]
Dissidia [2 games],
Legend [5 games],
Remakes... quite a few, six that I can think of though I'm sure there are more [Since you're counting FRLG, SSHG and ORAS]
Tactics has been remade so many times I don't even know....
Type 0
4 Heroes of Light
Crystal Chronicles [3 games that I can think of, might be more?]
Revenant Wings
Crystal Defenders [2 that I know of]
Chocobo [I think 2?]

And there are a massive amount of of other games, stand alone and spin offs of titles. There are a few mobile only games as well.

Of course if you count Bravely [some people do] there are two more games.

Aaaand then there's Kingdom Hearts which is a FF game in that is has JRPG mechanics and... oh yeah.... FF characters, there are 3 in the main series, a few spin offs and a couple remakes.

Again, I'm a huge Pokemon fan, just pointing out that FF has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more games. Oh... and DLC for FFXI and FFXIV [does XIV have dlc yet?] counts as their own game since they bring a lot of content and are.... not cheap.... so yeah :)

Anyway... super excite for Pokemon Go, how bout you? :D

65 FF Titles not counting offshoots
71 Pokemon Titles
171 Mario Titles [including offshoots]

Based on games sold, those three titles go in the order of Mario> Pokemon> FF, though there are titles between Pokemon and FF.

Last thing, I'm not counting games with 1000's of pieces of DLC that add nothing substantial despite counting FF MMO DLC... reason is because FF actually adds content, most games with DLC add nothing of substance, often times just adding what they took out so they could sell it as DLC [which is why I no longer buy EA games and refuse to play them if given a chance to]

8 years ago*

I didn't say a single thing about whether or not Pokemon had more titles than FF though ?_?

Eh, not really interested in Pokemon GO, even if I was I don't own a smart phone.

8 years ago

Oooh sorry, I thought you were tallying up Pokemon games for the OP to show that Pokemon had more than FF... my mistake xD

GO looks sort of meh right now but I'm sure as it comes closer to launch it'll be great. Sorry you don't own a smart phone D:

8 years ago

Oh DLC's count eh?
Welcome Payday 2!!! :P
Or Train Simulator, yikes!

8 years ago

Most Payday 2 dlc is unsubstantial though.

As for Train Sim... I mean all that just adds to what the game already is so I guess that counts o_o

8 years ago

8 years ago

Whoops missed the Japan only stuff in my counts. If Smash counts toward Pokemon then it counts toward FF as well for the last one xD

And that list of FF games is missing a lot of Japan only titles.

8 years ago

I don't think it's missing 50+ games though

8 years ago

No way, maybe 10-15. Yeah I had no idea there were so many Japan only Pokemon titles, that's awesome!
For a while, Pokken almost didn't get ported o_o

8 years ago

I just skimmed through the list (not an FF expert), and considering the site, I figured that it would be accurate, but it looks like you're right. Lugum pointed out that they've also included the movies & remakes, so as far as US releases, the list should be a bit smaller.

8 years ago

I wish they would've made those educational Pokémon games in English. It'd be so awesome learning vocabulary with Pikachu or Cyndaquil. xD

8 years ago

We got the educational Mario & Sonic games at least.

8 years ago

Don't go so harsh on me :D
I never played any of the Pokemon games so I have absolutely no idea. All I know is that there are tons of them :D

8 years ago

There are 122 Pokemon games.

8 years ago

Mario

8 years ago

Mario probably have more than that. 40+ for sure.

8 years ago

Probably Mario since it includes Mario Party, the regular Mario games, Paper Mario, those generic Sports games

8 years ago

FIFA must be up there too!

8 years ago

There's probably something else out there most of us have never heard of...

8 years ago

or just wouldn't think of. Apparently there's been almost 50 iterations of Pac-Man

8 years ago

I made one of them! :P

edit: Oh, I just got told mine does not count.

8 years ago

why not? Is Pac Man still patented?

8 years ago

Mario is bigger than the next two coming after it combined.
But Zelda is also larger. So is Sonic. Metroid and Castlevania, I'm not so sure.

Edit: Mega Man, as it was pointed out also. That is a huge franchise with a zillion branching sub-series all over the place.

8 years ago*

True! Also, if you count all Warhammer games (including both WH Fantasy and WH 40K) that is bigger than FF too - but not quite as big as Super Mario.

8 years ago

same if you count all Star Wars games

8 years ago

There's only about 20 Zelda games not including remakes.

8 years ago

call of duty has 23 titles

View attached image.
8 years ago

And the second highest-grossing video game franchise of all time.
Which is… a little surprising and somewhat sad. Okay, quite sad. I am okay with GTA being the third, but a series of carbon-copy corridor shooters? 0.0

8 years ago

Yeah. I can see why people would buy a CoD game, but after one or two games (which are mainly the same) I would not buy a third one (not counting the first few games, those were pretty great).

8 years ago

Which is less than Might and Magic or Madden

8 years ago

yes, also less than final fantasy.

8 years ago

Fifa and many other sports games.

8 years ago

There are 131 Mega Man games. But there are still probably more Mario games.

edit
The Mario wiki has just given up on counting the number of games in that franchise, and says "250+".

8 years ago*

Mega Man FTW

8 years ago

O.O I knew there's a ton of games, but holy-crap!

View attached image.
8 years ago*

That still only results in an average of a bit over 7 games per year (7,14 if we use 250 as the number of games made). But the most surprising part is that there are very few bad games among those 250 (Sure, we can all name a handful, but overall, the series has stayed good)

8 years ago

I concur ^.^

8 years ago

Tom Clancy franchise is close to 50 games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s
but of coz can argue for example that Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon are their own franchises though

8 years ago*

thats not a franchise, thats ubisoft abusing a dead man´s name

8 years ago

lmao +1

8 years ago

Clancy made a fortune pretending he was ex-SAS, then sold his name to Ubisoft, if anyone abused it, he did.

8 years ago

source?

7 years ago

And to compare what I said above in regards to Mega Man & Mario, there are "only" 65 FF games

8 years ago

Anthology, remakes etc i wouldn't really call new games, ff1 to ff10 are still 10 games.
Also includes Spirites within and Advent Children are a movie.

8 years ago

I should have done more than just skim through the list quickly. Then the FF franchise is considerably smaller than I thought it would have been. Had I just had to guess, I would have said ~70-80 games.

8 years ago

And bigger for me then i thought, i would have guessed 50 tops.

8 years ago

They used to make a lot of spinoff games (like the Dungeon series, and the Crystal Chronicles series) and they also ended up re-branding some games to Final Fantasy (like the Gameboy FF titles, which were never meant to be parts of that series to begin with) so I figured that they would also have a lot of Japan only exclusives, including some wonky arcade only games (those usually don't make it to the west).

8 years ago

8 years ago

Not even close.

The answer is clearly Half Life, I mean thing about it, there's the original, the sequel, the...the...oh ffs I want Half Life 3 already!

8 years ago

Opposing Forces
Blue Shift
Episode 1
Episode 2
lost coast doesn't count
Deathmatch (twice)
Team Fortress Classic
Team Fortress 2
Counter-Strike
Counter-Strike Source
Condition Zero
Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Counter-Strike Neo
Counter Strike Online
Counter-Strike Online 2
Counter-Strike Zombies
Portal
Portal 2
does Left 4 Dead be included?
And that's not even counting things like Black Mesa or Prospekt, or shit like that.

8 years ago

Why must you ruin the joke haha. Besides I don't count most of those as Half Life, only about the first 4 in that list, the rest are mods that have nothing to do with it. Portal is debatable, personally I'm saying it's its own thing.

8 years ago

It's the other way around - the first 3 (excluding TF2) are mods and the following are standalone games (except for CS Zombies? Never heared of that one).

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

8 years ago

Weren't there enough community mods?

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

8 years ago

I meant mods that aren't part of the Half Life story.

8 years ago

Neither of the original mods and the games that derived from them are part of Half-Life story (except for the Deathmatch, but if I remember correctly, it was a mode originally, not a mod).

8 years ago

Well then if you know that wth are you arguing with me about :))? It doesn't matter that the mods eventually became independent games, the point was that they're not Half Life games.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 6 years ago.

8 years ago*

The funny part is that at this rate, in 2027 we'll be around FFXVIII tops…

8 years ago

They keep going overboard trying to make them beautiful, but they end up looking overly designed, and cluttered, FF13 shows this really bad. SE needs to learn to budget better badly.

8 years ago

Well, FF XV already looks great (and playability is cool, too: much funnier than the previous games).

8 years ago

I agree, I'm very hopefully it's going to be good. Have some issues, all the characters wearing black is a bit uncreative, but maybe you find others later and those are just the early game guys, and it's graphics budget is clearly insane again, so I wouldn't be shocked if no matter how good it is it doesn't make enough money to be considered a success, like the Tomb Raider reboot, which could still mean it's the last one, which would be very sad.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

8 years ago

Anyone looked at barbie yet? I am afraid to look.

8 years ago

There are more than 45 Barbie titles...

View attached image.
8 years ago

This guy has appeared in over 200 games, some of which are among the best-selling games ever
The franchise is estimated to be worth over $10 billion, about 3 times as big as all of Square Enix

8 years ago

nice

8 years ago

there have been at least 219 games in the Gundam franchise

8 years ago*

If we count the Star Wars games that arent on steam, I think Star Wars is the biggest XD

8 years ago

Pretty sure Mario has been the largest gaming franchise for a long time. It is the best selling gaming franchise of all time, I know that.

8 years ago

Beating Mario is pretty much impossible at this point, but many franchises beat FF without much of a problem.
Video game franchises can get absurdly large in no time, if you count episodes as separate games Sam & Max has over 15 games, so numbers tend to be debatable.

8 years ago

FNAF is catching up quick :P

8 years ago

I thought that one "ended" with 4. But we know the dev is going to make more sooner than later.

8 years ago

Well there was already World and we know even the shittiest of devs will continue regardless these days.

8 years ago

Didn't knew about that one, I was only following the game theory videos about the franchise, they were quite entertaining.
I own the first one and I'll give it a try some day, but I don't really like those stress management games. I preffer horror games that at least allow me to run from the monster.

8 years ago

It's like 20 years that I hear "oh next month comes out final fantasy #" (replace # with any number between 1 and 15) and every game looks like it has been published at least three times...

8 years ago

There's a list of the longest running video game franchises on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-running_video_game_franchises

Check out how many Mario games there are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario

Edit: Here is another interesting list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

8 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

I know, but I figured most of the franchises with the most games would also be listed in that list, so you could just click through them and see what franchises have the most games. Also, the games with the highest sales are for the most part ranked there because they have the most games in their franchise. The top of the sales list is Mario, Pokemon, and Call Of Duty.

There's some in there I wouldn't of thought of like Bomberman with over 80 games, Sonic The Hedgehog with over 50, Castlevania with 42, Frogger with 31, and Need For Speed with 23.

8 years ago*

Deleted

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

8 years ago

according to your thread title....thats wrong....
it took me 3secs to copy paste "biggest gaming franchise" into google
final fantasy isnt even near the mario titles

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

yeah exactly what you asked for.....you didnt asked which franchise has the most titles ......

8 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by Kirikagure.