This just appeared when I tried to list a card in Steam:

Under Internal Revenue Code section 6050W, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service requires us to determine whether you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien before permitting you to sell more than 200 items in the community market in a single calendar year. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the IRS also requires us to collect your Social Security number or other Taxpayer Identification Number. Please note that we are not required to report this information or information about your sales to the IRS under section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code unless you engage in more than 200 sales in a single calendar year AND the gross sales proceeds from those sales exceeds $20,000 in a single calendar year. For more information, you can view the Community Market FAQ here.

To verify your citizenship status, and if required, to verify your taxpayer information, please respond below.

Not a US citizen, so clicked the relevant button... and they want me to fill in a smegging registration form online before I can list any more items... Anyone else hit this yet?

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Yep, I've already done that a lot of time ago. I'm not a US citizen, I wrote some info, and that's all. I don't like giving my private info, but what else could I do?

8 years ago

Everybody, just fill it.

8 years ago

"Just fill it" as in just fill it with random names or fill it with real information?

8 years ago

Unless interpol is looking for you, I don't see a reason to hide that info. Specially since it won't go publis and they probably already know more from other sources.

8 years ago

Well if you're hiding your country, you can't give them the real info.

8 years ago

Got it last year I think. Just fill it. :)

8 years ago

Not like I've got much choice I guess... not happy about having to send the US IRS personal details though.

8 years ago

I'm pretty sure I've sold over 200 cards and not yet filled that out.

Note that Steam doesn't have a choice about this. If you're not a U.S. citizen/resident, they won't forward your information to the IRS, they just need to verify (and keep a record that they did verify) that you're not a resident or citizen. If you are, then they will have to report your information to the IRS if you sold over $20,000 worth of items.

Again, they will not report your information to the IRS unless (a) you're a U.S. citizen or resident, and (b) you sold over $20,000 worth of items.

8 years ago

I guess that's something, but if that's the case, Steam already have my information (bearing in mind I've bought from them several times over the years) so it seems rather pointless having to fill this thing in.Having said that, I've also had to deal with the UK's DWP for several years now as well, and the amount of redundant paperwork you gotta fill in for them is equally as annoying...

Still, it's filled in now.

8 years ago

This has always been the case, we can't do anything about it.
I think I only runned once into this limit, back when buying and selling cards wasn't a hassle.

8 years ago

Steam is spyware! :)

View attached image.
8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.