Well it's that time of year. Various gaming sites have been announcing their game of 2012 over the past couple of weeks so I decided to write my very own top 10 list. However, my list is unusual for a variety of reasons. Due to time constraints and a ridiculously large backlog it only contains 3 games that were actually released this year. They are also almost exclusively PC games because I haven't had an ideal set up for my 360 in a long while and handheld systems just don't work for me like they used to. There are plenty of games that would probably make the list if I had actually played them (Trials Evolution, Fez, Far Cry 3 etc.) but I didn't. So there. Keeping that in mind, let's begin.

10. 52 - Released Nov 2012, Played Nov 2012

Probably the most polarising game on my list. Games don't often move me and I know it's silly but this one did. At the same time I can see how people might consider it pretentious tripe. If you haven't played it then take 5 minutes to do so before it is ruined in the comments (may not be great for non-native English speakers)

9. Killing Floor - Released May 2009, Played July 2012 - Present

This would probably be higher on my list if it wasn't for the fact that I've only played it during the summer, Halloween and Christmas events. My brain refuses to recognise the regular zed models for what they are. Also I should probably make an effort to play with "friends" more often rather than random Russians that end up carrying me the entire game.

8. Sonic Generations - Released Nov 2011, Played Nov 2012

GOTTA GO FAST

7. Trine - Released July 2009, Played Aug 2012

I'm cheating a little bit on this one; I actually played Trine twice before 2012. Once when it first came out and then again last year when the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle was released. However, in both instances I never made it past the 2nd level and so did not discover the leveling system or the items which made this puzzle platform just that much sweeter. Maybe Trine 2 will make my top 10 list for 2015.

6. L.A. Noire - Released Nov 2011, Played Dec 2012

So I only finished this 3 days ago and haven't quite finished the DLC that I bought 2 days ago. I'm hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a disappointment as I don't think I've ever played with such a good mood. The controversy behind the games development is unfortunate :( Thanks jetta

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Released Nov 2011, Played Jun 2012

Another game that I feel deserves to be higher in my list but I haven't experienced enough of its offerings in the mere 30 hours that I've played it. [Insert Skyrim jokes here]

4. Super Hexagon - Released Sep 2012, Played Dec 2012

The perfect phone game. I've found myself quitting after one attempt but also being enthralled for hours on end sometimes. Play regular-ass hexagon here if you're cheap.

3. Cards Against Humanity - Released Jan 2011, Played all year

Sure you can play a clone of it online but the real fun comes from getting a group of friends (in real life!!!!) and enjoy a couple of hours of the most puerile fun imaginable ensuring that nothing said ever leaves that room.

2. Saints Row: The Third - Released Nov 2011, Played Feb 2012

Daaaaayum
Yes I'm getting too lazy to write anything.

1. The Walking Dead - Released April - Nov 2012, Played April - Nov 2012

The best game I played all year actually came out this year, who would've guessed? I was lucky enough to win TWD here back in April and I was immediately hooked. I played each episode as soon as I could as any spoilers would be extremely detrimental to my enjoyment. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

Honourable mention: Ms. Splosion Man - Released July 2011, Played Dec 2012

I only played a couple of hours of the multiplayer so I can't justify having it on the list but it appears to be a more feature rich Splosion man with a bunch more FMV. What's not to love?

Dishonourable mention: Secret of the Magic Crystals - Released Feb 2910, Played July 2012

Absolute hell. A 2 hour game stretched into a 15 hour nightmare all to be part of the 0.7% Would not recommend.

Expecting a giveaway after reading all of that? Nope. Feel free to share your GOTY though. Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for next years list featuring Rayman Origins, Batman Arkham Asylum and Streets of Rage.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I would say Bad Rats, but that would be the game of the century. Bad Rats: GOTC pls.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

1 decade ago

I'm thinking Dishonored...although I haven't finished it yet, I absolutely love it

1 decade ago

DotA 2!

1 decade ago

saints row, dota, binding of isaac, tf2, fallout, skryim, garrysmod

1 decade ago

1. Black Ops 2
  2. Ace of Spades
  3. Dota 2
  4. Torchlight 2
  5. Worms Revo
  6. Borderlands 2

The Last 4 will count as equal.

Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Killing Floor
Zombie Driver HD

1 decade ago

• Walking Dead
  • FTL
  • Hotline Miami
  • Binary Domain
  • Xenoblade
  • Dark Souls
  • Spec Ops
  • Tribes Ascend
  • Torhclight 2
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever

I dont know really, its not in order. My favorite would be dark souls, walking dead, or hotline miami though.

oh yeah, and xcom is super high up. I aint putting it there because I pirated it so I only played it for 3-4 hrs.

sleepy dags goes in there somewhere, I dunno where

1 decade ago

1. Borderlands 2
  2. The Walking Dead
  3. Tropico 4
  4. Spec Ops The Line
  5. Hotline Miami
  6. Batman AC
  7. Sleeping Dogs
  8. ME3

Wanted to play but didn't get around to: Dishonored, XCOM, KoA: Reckoning, FC3, Halo 4

Currently playing and liking alot: RAGE, Might & Magic Clash of Heroes //
Biggest disappointments: ACIII (by far) and LIMBO

1 decade ago

My top games:

1. Civilization V
  2. Saints Row 3
  3. Quantum Conundrum
  4. Blocks That Matter
  5. Bastion
  6. Tropico 4
  7. Doom 3: BFG Edition
  8. To The Moon
  9. Mc Pixel
  10. GTA 4

My worst games:

1. Secret of the Magic Crystals
  2. Bad Rats
  3. Ironclads (all of them)
  4. Ironclads (yeah again all of them)
  5. Revelations 2012
1 decade ago

Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3; Shank 2; Torchlight 2 and somehow CS:GO

1 decade ago

1. The Witcher 2
  2. Walking Dead
  3. Dishonored
  4. Saints Row: The Third
  5. Sleeping Dogs
1 decade ago

+

1. Awesomenauts.
  2. Counter-strike: Global offensive.
  3. Natural selection 2.
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Mark of the Ninja.
  6. Castle Crashers.
  7. FTL: Faster Than Light.
  8. Minecraft.
  9. Counter-strike 1.6.
  10. Torchlight II.

-

1. Black ops 2.
  2. Black ops 2 Zombies.
  3. Don't starve.
  4. Prototype.
  5. Arma II / DayZ.
  6. Overlord.
  7. Dead island.
  8. Magicka.
  9. Gotham City Impostors
  10. Aliens vs. Predator
1 decade ago

1.Dishonored

2.Skyrim

3.Civilization 5

4.Guild Wars 2

5.The Witcher... yeah i know first game is old, but i played it this year

1 decade ago

Spec Ops The Line,of course I have more games on my top games list of 2012 but Spec Ops The Line is the only game that was absolutely above my expectations.

1 decade ago

1. Dragon Age Origins
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Killing Floor
  4. Torchlight 2
  5. Oblivion

Most of them are old, but I played this year those.

1 decade ago

1.- To The Moon (The feels ;_;)
2.- Dishonored
3.- Portal 2
4.- Ace of Spades
5.- Train Simulator 2013 (Choo choo motherfucker)

1 decade ago

Mh, lets see:
To the Moon, Waling Dead (No finished but i can tell its awesome), Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Max Payne 3, Hotline Miami

1 decade ago

Borderlands 2, Walking Dead, X-com, Far Cry 3, FTL, Hotline Miami, AirMech, COD: BO2 ( odd but I loved it, and I love me some pissed odd COD fanboy once and a while), Lastly but not least Legend of GrimRock.

Biggest Disappointments: Diablo 3, Guild wars 2, and All Zombies Must die. Super Pile of Crap goes to WAR Z.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Wormy.