Hi all,
A friend of mine is coming from the US and I want a controller for my PC. Controllers are extremely expensive here and there is also a risk of unknowingly getting a counterfeit / used / refurbished product. Also Steam Controller is not available at all.

So I want you guys to recommend me a controller. I have read both very positive and very negative reviews about the Steam Controller. Bottom line with the positive reviews was that it takes time to get used to but it's really worth it. I have listed the Xbox controllers in the poll for their ease of use with the PC. If there are other game controllers that you recommend please mention that in the comments.

Also I would like to mention that the controller will mostly be used to play platformers, sports, beat-em ups and fighting games and also some third person shooters. I also play some FPS games occasionally but I prefer KB&M for that.
Thanks for your time.

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Which Controller do you recommend?

View Results
Steam
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Other (leave a comment)

As much as I adore Steam Controller for it's multifunctionality, it sucks ball when playing shooter games. I prefer to play singleplayer Third Person Shooter game with a controller and idk, maybe I'm just used to control the camera using the right Analog and I can't seem to aim at anything with Steam's touchpad. Other genre works great though.

6 years ago

I use a PS4 controller (with DS4Windows), so I'll recommend that. Never liked the D-Pad on xbox controllers.

6 years ago

I use a PS4 controller through Steam since it has official support, now.

6 years ago

Tried out the One controller and boy, its on another league. Get it

6 years ago

I would say the xbox one controller is the best choice, although I voted for the xbox 360 ones because they are the only ones I have personal experience with. I use both the wired and wireless (with dongle) version of the 360 controller and I can't remember ever having any problems. Microsoft will want to install some drivers and software, but you can uninistall the software and the drivers will still work so that's good! (Otherwise the software messes a bit with big picture mode and steam overlays when you use the center button on the controller).

Wireless is nice but you do end up using a lot of batteries if you don't get rechargable ones! Like I said though everything I hear makes me recommend the xbox one controller instead of the 360. It's just more of the same and even better!

6 years ago

Since you play fighting games you'll definitely want a DS3 or DS4 for their pads. No questions asked.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

6 years ago

I recommend using the search to see the past times this has been asked, there should be at least 5 threads you can read through to get more opinions.

6 years ago

I use DualShock 4, because the D-pad on Xbox One is too hard (not difficult, but force need) to press, and Xbox 360 D-pad is too floaty/inaccurate for me, not good on old (platform) games that have no analog stick support.

But for firearm shooter, Xbox has superior triggers (because most of these games like to use trigger to fire the guns). Although I hate playing these games with gamepad because my aiming is so laughable. (can't aim even when enemy is next to me, ouch)

I suggest to go to nearby video game store, to see if you can test gamepad on demo machines. :)

6 years ago

The one thing I've always hated about PS controllers is their D-Pad. I can't stand the separate buttons for each direction.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

6 years ago*

wait ... you try on underwear before you buy it? Does the store know about this practice?

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

6 years ago

I've tried several, but have to say the PS4 controller feels best for me. I use it for quite a few Steam games. Sadly it feels like my PS4 is gathering dust, but the controller gets a regular workout :-)

6 years ago

I have no experience with Xbox One or Steam controllers. Been using Xbox 360 controllers (both wired and wireless) for years, and I'm used to them.

6 years ago

I use a Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad. More heavyweight, but very good.

6 years ago

F310 here, bought it after a friend recommended it, it's great (not wireless like F710 though).

If Steam Controller was available here, I'd get it.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

6 years ago

Thank you for a very well written reply. I am definitely inclining towards XB1 controller right now but your thoughts about the SC has me researching even more on it. Most people do complain about the Left trackpad and how it's not good for fighting games. But other than that it seems a good choice as well.

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

Pakistan

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

;) everything costs about double thanks to the import taxes and profiteering! and compared to the west, the salaries are quite low so I am taking advantage of my friend's visit here.

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

this is your opinion...

6 years ago

Other: Logitech F310/F710 i.e. the controller that used to be in the photo on store pages for "Big Picture Mode" before Valve changed it to their controller when it came out.

6 years ago

This!

Especially if you plan to play older games at some point since it can switch from XInput to Directinput. Plus I like the layout better than Microsoft's controllers.

(I personally have the F510. I don't know why they stopped making it.)

6 years ago

+1 I have an F310 and I love it!
(Then again, my only console experience was with a PS3 so I wanted the PS3 left-side orientation).

6 years ago

I prefer the One controller. it's just a better version of the 360 one. and if you have the money - the elite controller. best controller i ever had, but it's not cheap.

6 years ago

The elite controller is way out of my reach :(

6 years ago

I've owned a xbox 360 in the past. now I have a One and the improvements are immediately noticeable in the controller, the 360 was great but the One is superior and feels better in your hands.

6 years ago

I didn't try the One, but I like the 360. I also own a Steam controller but only use it to browse the web, legs up :-)

6 years ago

I am trying to picture that!

6 years ago

Something like this, but with a Steam controller in hand:

View attached image.
View attached image.
6 years ago

I use the Xbox 360. Got it 6 years ago, and love it since.
It actually got broken a while ago, but last week I bought a new 360 controller.
I preferred it over the One, possibly because I'm already used to the 360, and because it costs 30$ less.

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

I use scptoolkit. It installs once the required drivers and works after that.

6 years ago

Yes DS3 is a great controler, i used BetterDS3, it works offline.
Steam Games do detect DS4, but its a bit iffy. I prefer to use it with DS4Windows

Do you have bluetooth? otherwise you need a dongle

6 years ago

PS3/PS4

6 years ago

PS3 controller. Best analog sticks and overall feeling by my opinion. Installation procedure:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/0/864980009937564570/

6 years ago

This was really useful and simple-- I'll have to bookmark it and give a try. Thanks for linking.

6 years ago

You're welcome, I hope that you will have fun :)

6 years ago

I have both a 360 controller (not wireless) for windows and an xbox one controller wireless ( i guess for windows) that came with my occulus rift , in my opinion you cant go wrong with any of them they are great and they work with all games without any additional programmes, i havent tried the steam controller but from the looks i dont think its my style, plus games also recognise the xbox controllers and you are golden with key mapping

6 years ago

Xbox 360 (wired) just plug and play, solid af.

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.