Hi all,
A friend of mine is coming from the US and I want a controller for my PC. Controllers are extremely expensive here and there is also a risk of unknowingly getting a counterfeit / used / refurbished product. Also Steam Controller is not available at all.

So I want you guys to recommend me a controller. I have read both very positive and very negative reviews about the Steam Controller. Bottom line with the positive reviews was that it takes time to get used to but it's really worth it. I have listed the Xbox controllers in the poll for their ease of use with the PC. If there are other game controllers that you recommend please mention that in the comments.

Also I would like to mention that the controller will mostly be used to play platformers, sports, beat-em ups and fighting games and also some third person shooters. I also play some FPS games occasionally but I prefer KB&M for that.
Thanks for your time.

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Which Controller do you recommend?

View Results
Steam
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Other (leave a comment)
Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

6 years ago

Xbox one if you have the money, if you want to save, the 360 is still really good.

6 years ago

i used DS4. the size, the buttons is just right

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 6 months ago.

6 years ago*

The one thing about the PS4 controllers is that there's the touchpad that you can configure some extra stuff to in Big Picture, but yeah, Xbox is easier.

6 years ago

Probably very rare but some games make use of the touchpad by default too, but I prefer the Xbox one controller overall.. only thing I like more about dualshock controllers is the dpad is far superior, a must for fighting games and some platformers.

6 years ago

My Steam controller won't connect any more for some reason, I just use 360 since I have a lot of them.

6 years ago

I've had this same problem after using my Steam Controller with my Steam Link. It then wouldn't connect to the dongle anymore.
It does again now. I believe I fixed it by launching Steam Big Picture mode, then plugging in the dongle, and then launching the steam controller. You might try that. Or else try "add a steam controller" from Big picture -> settings -> controller settings.
I believe the controller remembers the last paired device, and turns off again if it can't find that, unless force-paired.

6 years ago

one or dualshock 4

6 years ago

Having used PS3 controllers a lot, and occasionally X360, XBone and PS4, and owning a Steam Controller, I can say it's mostly personal preference.
My brother uses XBone and has used X360, so I quickly asked him difference between those, and those and PS3.
He said that XBone is better/nicer than X360, because of the position in the hand, and overall usability. Not to mention a much less messed up D-pad.
PS4 is nicer in the hand than PS3, just like XBone vs X360, I guess that's logical with advancement.
XBox vs PS, that is personal preference, and also a lot of gettting used to.
However, PS controllers are smaller, and thus might be a bit more cramping if you have really large hands. I sometimes had this, but only for long intense sessions. Mostly happened when I tried to get both shoulder buttons pressed at the same time, but I also have this with XBox, though.

Steam controller, for me, is much nicer on position in my hands. This means I haven't had any cramps or stress in any part of my hand and wrists, which I normally had with a variety of controllers, since I have sensitive joints. The touchpad takes some getting used to, but some configs allow you to use it joystick-like, which makes it quite natural. Others require you to click to activate it.
The grip buttons on the back are a nice addition, and I can see myself using these in games like shooters, or fighters, with lots of buttons going on, but haven't used them so much in the games I've mostly played.

Also: If you want a Steam Controller and/or Link, get them in sale. They are normally €60 each (ex S&H), and I got them for € 63 together (incl € 13 S&H) on sale.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 6 months ago.

6 years ago

Getting Steam Controller on sale is not an option right now because friend of mine is coming early November. It will probably not go on sale before the winter sale of December.

Btw I had a PS2 and dualshock 2 was quite comfortable to use.

6 years ago

Black Friday is always sale on Steam, Controller might be on sale then as well.
Heck, I've seen Steam hardware on sale in between the big sales even

6 years ago

Yeah almost forgot about Black Friday sale but my friend's coming early in November and the sale starts near the end of the month :(

6 years ago

I would get a PS3 or PS4 Controller. The D-Pad from the 360 sucks but the XboxOne Controller has a better one. Still like the PS4 controller the most after that the PS3 Controller.

6 years ago

DS4 is far superior to that trash :o

6 years ago

Steam controller is God.

6 years ago

I use a WiiU pro controller for twin-stick shooters, fighting and platformer games and my Steam Controller for pretty much everything else. I also own a Xbox 360 wired controller, but I like the WiiU one more, since the position of the sticks is different (more comfortable imho)

6 years ago

I have an Xbox 360 controller. I hate its D-pad, I've only really used it for menu selections but it's floaty and flat out terrible. I can't envision it working well with games that require precision D-pad movement such as retro games, 2d platformers, and so forth.

So, I am also in a position of looking for a PC controller for about a month now. I'm specifically looking for a good D-pad, which is the Xbox 360 controller's major flaw imo.

I've had connectivity issues with this Xbox 360 controller too where the light switches from the top left quadrant to the top right quadrant, after some research I'm reasonably sure it has to do with the wiring at the top of the controller, if it's wiggled on purpose or just via normal gameplay the light sometimes switches from the top left quadrant to the top right quadrant (which results in loss of button input the few seconds it's blinking argh). So, I have to be careful with moving the controller around (and I'm conscious of it, so I'm not fully absorbed in the games), it's quite annoying.

I got this controller in August 2016, it hasn't really been used that much. I used it primarily for Arkham Asylum, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Styx, Recettear, and a few hours of a few games here and there (Magicka, Broforce, Arkham City), so like 7 games, but problems started appearing in December while going thru Shadow of Mordor.

It's gone over 7 months unused in 2017 lol and the issues are just maddening, but also I just happened to get involved with games that don't really need a controller. It happens.

My research on controllers about a month-ish ago lead me to think that a PS3/PS4 controller is personally the way for me to go, I've asked a few people outside of Steamgifts and I've been recommended the Xbox One controller, the PS3/PS4 controllers, a Logitech F310/710, and the Razer Wildcat/Wolverine (this is a bit much for my gaming needs).

If possible, do try a demo of a controller at a store and see if it's one that fits your needs (I need to do this again too because I will make a purchase, eventually).

6 years ago

I suggest to get a dedicated controller for d-pad games.

Some options:
1) Buy a vintage Sega Saturn controller on eBay for $15-20 and get a Mayflash Saturn-to-USB adapter. It's usually considered the best d-pad of all time, and the controller has 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons which should be enough for most modern games where you'd use a d-pad. (Don't get the modern USB clones of saturn controllers, they are junk.)
2) 8bitdo bluetooth SNES controller, if you like the SNES form factor, it's very true to the original build quality and it's wireless. You can also use it on a real NES or SNES using 8bitdo's bluetooth dongles for those systems, and on Android games with controller support.
3) Another SNES controller I recommend the iBuffalo Classic USB controller. It's also a very good build quality. While it is not wireless, it has an advantage in that is has a built-in turbo function (can be toggled at the button level on the fly). And it's only about $10-15 bucks shipped from Japanese sellers on Amazon.
4) The best traditional plus-shaped D-Pad available on a current in-production controller is probably the Hori Fighting Commander. Also the most expensive option on my list here as it'll run you about $40.

As far as getting a standard all-in-one controller, I have Xbox 360 and PS3/PS4 controllers, I've personally found myself using the DualShock4 for my main controller. DS4 is an improvement over the DS3 in every way, in my opinion, so I'll compare 360 vs DS4:

360: Better ergonomics, it feels more natural in my hands, has a nice weight to it
360: Uses AA batteries, so you can keep a fresh set of cells charged and swap them out in a matter of seconds if it dies
DS4: I like the d-pad, analog sticks and triggers better than the 360 controller. They are more sensitive, in general, so you don't tire your hands as easily.
DS4: Has a touchpad which you can use as a mouse in games that are not-quite-100% controller compatible (like selecting from a menu)

I have not use the Xbox One controller, but everybody says the d-pad has been improved and consensus seems to be that people like it better than the 360. I have no idea about compatibility. I use DS4windows which simulates a 360 controller, so everything just works same as it does with a 360 controller.

6 years ago

Thank you for such a detailed response.

In my previous research I've come across the iBuffalo controller. That's an intriguing one.

I will check out the rest of your recommendations for sure!

6 years ago

I have X1 controller, DS4 controller, Steam Controller, F710.

X1 is best for me but dpad use switch buttons. And dpad up is now malfunction.
DS4 is my current controller, use with Steam controller configuration. It has extra 2 button if you set touchpad to 2 single buttons.
Steam Controller is good with Desktop configuration. I use it when read long web page and watch movies.
F710 is horrible triggers and analogs. It use too much force to control. Sensitivity is not good for me.

I prefer you use X1 Bluetooth ver. or DS4.

6 years ago

Logitech F510

6 years ago

Between XB1 & 360, XB1 if you care about the d-pad. 360 only if you have a stack of them lying around and you're willing to buy a wireless dongle (or buy the wired version). If you're willing PS3/PS4 controllers are pretty good too, in fact I'd say their D-Buttons are better than the weird clicky XB1 d-pad. Though I haven't tried one in a while but 360/XB1 controllers were well-recognized in games (on-screen button prompts looked correct) whereas using a PS3 controller would say "button 1" or something instead of X. Again, that could be different now (and probably is) but it used to be an issue.

6 years ago*

I recommend the Xbox One controller, and I'll explain why.

Xbox One controller is good all around - great PC support, great D-pad, good face buttons, comfortable to hold, off-set thumbstick layout (ideal for action, beat-em-up, sports, racing, third-person, etc), you can hit the shoulder buttons without letting go of the triggers (surprisingly helpful in some games), you can used it wired or RF wireless or Bluetooth wireless, it works great with Steam Link, and it uses AA batteries which I prefer (no charging, just swap in new rechargeable AAs and go). The worst thing about it is that it's not as comfortable for me to hold as the 360 or PS4 controller.

The Xbox 360 controller is the most comfortable for me to hold, with great PC support and great wireless support via dongle, but it's D-pad is terrible. You said you like to play platformers and fighting games, and both are hard to play with the 360's awful D-pad. Also, the face buttons are hard and round and start to hurt my thumb after a while, and the thumbsticks have the worst wear of any controller I've used. The XB1 controller is better.

The Steam controller is great for playing keyboard & mouse games without controller support, but isn't nearly as good for controller supported games as any other controller IMO. Since you'll be using a keyboard & mouse for those games, pass on the Steam controller.

The PS3 controller is the least comfortable controller to hold, has the worst PC support, doesn't work wirelessly, the domed thumbsticks are the hardest to grip, and the built-in battery constantly discharges when not in use and has to be periodically charged. It's D-pad and face buttons are great, but everything else is pretty bad compared to the other options.

The PS4 controller is very comfortable to hold (2nd only to the X360), has great face buttons that are flat and soft, great D-Pad, and can be used wired or via Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth performance can be hit or miss, the PC support is poor (Steam supports it, but even some Steam games do not work properly with it), both thumbsticks on the bottom feels less ergonomic than having them staggered (unless you play mostly platformers / fighting games), the batter life is short, the built-in battery constantly discharges when not in use and has to be periodically charged.

Thus the Xbox One controller is the one I'd recommend. It has the best PC support, and it's good all around without any glaring flaws.

6 years ago

I have them all but use the DS4 the most by far

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.