Do like it? Do you think it should be continued? I have heard about people who don't like it(like TotalBiscuit), but I personally like it, as you can help the Developers while at the same time you play the game.

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

9 years ago

It encourages developers to cash grab and run.

9 years ago

Been to one, it has past 3 years and it's "still" Early Access lol...

9 years ago

This. I like the idea of it, but I do think there should be a standard set. If a game is greenlit, it's developers should have to enter some type of agreement with Steam to finish the game in a certain period of time (or at the very least provide regular updates), else the developers face repercussions of some sort - aside from unhappy customers refusing to buy anything else they ever make.

9 years ago

I think something like going 6 months with no updates should have the game removed from the store until updated again. Removal from store is fair enough since that prevents the dev from being able to continue to get revenue.

Really, lack of updates and a lack of presence in the hub is really the main issues people seem to have. And I also think each update should require a log of what was added/fixed in the hub (can be in a single sticky that is edited though).

9 years ago

+1 I like all of your ideas you have, because no updates for 6 month would piss me off, and I like to read what they add in each update.

9 years ago

Yeah, and it's a fair amount of time to expect some sort of update to happen even for a dev who has a lot of other stuff going on or is having trouble with fixing a bug or whatever.

And it's not even like we'd expect a massive update, just fix a bug or add something to the game. Six months is plenty of time for that.

And I also like reading what has been done with each update and seeing a nice long list makes me feel the dev cares about the game. I also like seeing a list of planned features to add as well and being able to see the dev cross off some items with updates.

9 years ago

I like this idea. Removal from store and being stripped of the ability to add other games onto Greenlight would give enough incentive for devs to continue their work.

9 years ago

Yep, and it would appease players of the game that isn't being updated to know that the dev can't cash in on it until they do something to fulfill their end of the bargain.

9 years ago

I like the idea of them having to provide regular updates. It that would increase my trust in Early Access and make the games better.

9 years ago

Prefer not.

9 years ago

The idea is decent enough in theory, but in practice it's being taken advantage of. It definitely isn't ideal for all types of games as well.

9 years ago

Pretty much this.

9 years ago

I don't have any problem with them offering it. I just don't see why anyone would pay for it.

9 years ago

Sometimes that game just looks fun and to some people, the thought of helping the developers make the game is cool.

9 years ago

The only Early Access game that I actively play is SpeedRunners and from my experience with that I would say it isn't an awful thing. The game itself is pretty good and fun to play. Sure, there are connection issues and with the most recent update things have gotten a lot worse. However, the people working on it are always quick to respond to the community with their concerns or game issues and they did just add new content so I can't see them just abandoning it any time soon.

9 years ago

So long as you dont get stupid about it (for example ignoring the big blue banner and then whining that the game isnt done yet, like that one guy who posted on here about wanting a refund for starbound ages back).

Follow a couple general suggestions and you wont have a problem.

1: Never buy from a dev that either has a shady history or that behaves poorly. Like the miner wars guys who never finished the game, or any of those many devs that ban any criticism.

1. Only buy it if it looks like there is enough in there currently to justify the price to you.

3: only buy from devs you trust or have shown good intentions like the Prison architect people who regularly put out updates or Double fine for example who have put out Space Base on early access .

there are problably more but with those 3 suggestions you really cant go wrong with it.

9 years ago

I like the idea of it. I don't like how developers aren't held accountable though.

9 years ago

I guess why not? I mean, people buy "incomplete" AAA games all the time that need 0 day patches to fix bugs, right?

</sarcasm>

It's a terrible idea both in theory and in practice, and developers should wait to sell the product when it's complete.

9 years ago

Once upon a time games went to a beta phase. Now some companies changed the name to "Early Acess" and charge people full price for a unfinished game.

9 years ago

I don't like it, but then again, I do like it.

9 years ago

I was fine with Early Access, and I was actually purchasing quite a few early access games..until Steam finally made the rumors official that the devs do not have to finish the games..so now I'm careful with the early access games I buy.

9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago by Soupinmytummy.