Introduction

Ever saw contests where people are asked to draw an image of something. And you really want to be part of it, but you know you can't draw a straight line with the help of a ruler? That's basically me.

But worry not, technology finally gives us a hand! Fresh from the oven, deep learning AI algorithms that generate realistic looking images in seconds. Scary that the thing we thought for so long as human-exclusive* - art - turned into something that can be automatically generated. Sucks for all the people that are taking art comissions or make landscape images. When DALL-E 2 (and similar algorithms) get better, they may end up jobless.
*I know elephants and such can smear paint on canvas

This brings us to the event I thought for this Christmas. I want you to "draw" a space cat. Theme is Christmas. Presents, Christmas trees, Mariah Carey, sledges.... basically anything Christmas-related. The only catch is that you will "draw" with use of DALL-E (or any other AI of your choice). I don't want people to show off their amazing drawing skills. I want chance for people like me to shine this year :D Look at this year box event banner to see how it should look like.

Rules are as below:

• open Nightcafe StableDiffusion or DeepAI generator and think of the best phrase that will give you good-looking result. You can use any website you like
    (It's more of a thinking-imagination than drawing-ability contest. In general, the more detailed the phrase, the better the image turns out)
  • it's a Christmas event, not Halloween. Which means some weird, scary or uncanny images will not be considered as a valid entry
  • people can submit as many images as they like, as long as they meet the point above. If you have few images to upload do it in one post. If you have a new batch of images and your original post is old - create a new one, so people don't miss your creation(s)
  • it's not a popularity contest, so there will be no voting. It is too often promoting people with many friends or with ungodly good drawing skills
  • I will choose the winner with the help of the random generator. People will be given a number based on their first qualifying image
  • if you want to join reply to OP post with attached image (imgur or other website that allows to generate direct link will work)
    How to attach image: You must have URL that ends with .jpg or .png, you can get it when you right-click image and pick "Open Image in New Tab"
    Code format: ![](https://i.imgur.com/2DZKELs.jpg)
  • do not join as reply to someone else. I may miss such replies by mistake. I will ok qualifying posts
  • event will end on 24th of December 5pm CET, it's the day when we give presents in Poland
  • I won't stream number generation. I think it would be too complicated, and only few people would be interested to see how I click a button. I will post a message at the end of the contest and contact with winner

Prize:

• winner can choose any game, bundle or DLC up to £15 / €17 / $18
  • I can buy stuff from anywhere as long as it's not a grey market site, and I can make purchase there. Steam, GMG, HumbleBundle, IndieGala, Fanatical etc. are preferable
  • it doesn't need to be £14.99 game, it can be 3 bundles for £5 each for example

Things to consider:

• my region is set to Europe / UK, so I should not have problem to gift through Steam. Winner can send me also link to offer from a shop and I will see if keys / bundle is not region locked for them
  • all general GAs rules apply. Which means the winner will need to activate the game(s) on their Steam account. If it's a bundle, then they must activate the majority of it. They can give away games they already own
  • Note: My BL still applies. I don't feel comfortable to give to some people. I will not discuss "why I am on BL" here. Nor point "sorry you're BL". People can still submit images they generate if they wish so, but they will not be assigned a number when I go through entries.
    Am I BL giveaway check

Some images I quickly generated and give verdict if I think it qualifies:

• first is made with simple phrase and looks like Mass Effect husk. Doesn't qualify
  • second looks like voodo-cat sacrificing presents. Barely Qualifies, as it's not really space cat
  • third doesn't even look like a proper cat and is creepy. Doesn't qualify
  • for the last one, I mixed Space Cat and Mariah Carey. Doesn't qualify ;D
    (While top left image is really good and cute, it's not a Space Cat.. The other three are disturbing and out of theme.)

Let's see your creations! :D

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

"Cat smiling form a box under the christmas tree with a pirate hat and cyber arms"
Wow.
https://imgur.com/a/PbwcGLQ
But no pirate hats in results :(

1 year ago

This looks like a tabletop fantasy character portrait. You'd need to add more Christmasy spirit 🎄 :D

I saw that some pre-styles are worse in Christmas style, when I tried to generate with dark fantasy it gave me D&D image.

1 year ago

Yes, some results ignore the "Christmas tree" part, so I need to experiment more with requests. But I have never used these AI (except one that makes an anime person from your photo) and the result is stunning :)

1 year ago

I had this reaction when I generated last image, top left part. Still it's not space cat xD

DALL-E 2 has limit of 5 tries per day, but is also really fast. DALL-E 1 has not limit but it's slow and results are worse.
There are other generators out there if someone wants to try.

1 year ago

Okay I tried my best to bring the Christmas spirit with a Brazilian tropical flavor. But I think I failed LOL

Prompt: "space cat with christmas hat in a beach with Christmas palm trees" using DALL-E 2

EDIT - Yeah it's not a space cat. I'm back to the drawing board

View attached image.
1 year ago

Its collar looks like a Polish flag ;D

Adding "space" can be read as "universe" or just "space around". "Cat in space suit" may be more on track.

1 year ago

Haha good catch on the collar! I had not realized that.

And you're probably right about the way the program understood space. I just spent all of my credits but my last attempt hopefully is passable. The "Christmas hat" was ignored, but hopefully the Christmas trees in the back are worth it? The valid attempt should be the first one, but I included the others for reference below.

"cat floating in deep space wearing a christmas hat besides a Christmas tree"

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

Ok sometimes less is more. I've tried more generic prompts and the results are a bit better

"Santa claus cat in deep space"

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

I tried my best... selecting the right words haha.

I kinda like it, i'll try to draw it myself one day...

View attached image.
1 year ago

It is a cat with space base and Christmas tree ;D You can always try to tweak up a bit, DALL-E is superfast, but with limit of 5 images per day.

1 year ago

"cat in space with christmas tree"

View attached image.
1 year ago

Classic. It just misses the shake

View attached image.
1 year ago

Oh, yes, this one! :)
I will try the "evolve" function when the amount of credits is restored. maybe I can send him into space :)

View attached image.
1 year ago*

It has too many legs / paws xD But it means it's from space, innit?

Also are those muffins under the tree?

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

Another classic. And looks like a yoda with the glow.

1 year ago

space cat feline realistic gifts christmas tree epic
This actually turned out pretty decent:

View attached image.
1 year ago

That's the most realistic cat I've seen. My attempts have been more than creepy lol

1 year ago

Nice one. Also looks like it's in the middle of some spell :D

1 year ago

The cat is there although tiny :)

View attached image.
1 year ago

Looks like elf village ;D And it's hard to guess it's a cat, unless you know the theme.

1 year ago

Parameters : cat christmas snow winter santa christmas tree presents moon reindeer artistic
Got this XD :

View attached image.
1 year ago

Cats are bit distorted and mixed with reindeer. Also surprisingly DALL-E works better with actual sentences. So "Christmas cat holding present with sparkly sky background and Christmas tree on the right" would work better than just keywords.

1 year ago

I'm not used to this, I usually draw what I want :)) (still, I got way worst before as tries, so this remains if it qualifies)

1 year ago

I tried a few things...

And more

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago*

First one looks like start or end of some animated movie ;D And 2nd one is so manly xD

Did you use two totally different phrases to generate those?

1 year ago

Not totally.
First one was: "Sparkling cat and santa claus, space background, christmas lights".
And 2nd: "space cat, christmas lights, santa claus, realistic paiting, color red and green"

1 year ago

Made a few more...

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

I have no idea why DALL-E makes cat faces distorted most of the time. I read somewhere that it distorts human faces to prevent creating fake photos of real people. But with cats? It's weird. Here are the best results I got:

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

Do you use DALL-E 1 or DALL-E 2 (from my rules point). DALL-E 1 (original released) did have problem with faces. If you use DALL-E 2 it must be due to phrases you use or style you picked.

1 year ago

I'm using DALL-E 2 (I think), although I've signed up on their own website instead of the one you've linked to. It might be because of my primitive phrases, yeah. But I've certainly never asked it to generate "a cat with a distorted face" :)

1 year ago

This website is awesome though. The process is even more interesting than the results.

1 year ago

I noticed the same thing using both engines, which ended in really creepy results for me. I'm waiting until tomorrow and trying again.

1 year ago

Well this is harder than it looks... Still, those 2 do have a cat, Xmas stuff and some level of space 👀

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

1st looks like classic space cat. 2nd like general sofa cat with bow tie ;D

Well this is harder than it looks

Still easier than trying learn to draw in a week! :D

1 year ago

Not what I was hoping for, but still looks cool somehow xD
"awesome cat riding a rocket into space with christmas presents"

View attached image.
1 year ago

You have a warning cone as a hat, and upside down water bucket? Both doesn't qualify as Christmas presents ;D DALL-E need to try better.

1 year ago

Looks weird.

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

Hey at least you managed to get two actually space looking cats.

1 year ago

2nd one looks a bit like a fox :D
What does the fox say

1 year ago

That is funny 😹
Hover over image for the input.

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

First one does not have much Christmas in it :thinking: But second is a pass :D It is greedy though with two hats!

1 year ago

Yes, first one was not Christmas, i just found it nice :D

1 year ago

It is hypnotizing.

1 year ago

It was really hard getting any good results. I like my first picture best, but it's kind of an artsy cat. The second one kinda fits but it's super lame. Sucks that you're limited to only 5 a day :(

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

You're not limited. You can buy more credits, which makes the lousiness of some results a bit suspicious.
I wonder if the attempts give better results once you bought credits...

1 year ago

Limited if you're not willing to pay then. And honestly for the results I'm getting I'm not impressed enough to consider paying for it.

1 year ago

I get your point exactly. That's the game now, I guess. Everything is just a demo with "pay fo' mo'" at the end. Meh.
You can use Dall-E's own website but I didn't get past the part where they ask you to confirm your phone number to register an account because I don't do that.

1 year ago

but I didn't get past the part where they ask you to confirm your phone number to register an account because I don't do that.

Hah, same. What are they thinking, asking for my phone number?? What do they want with my frikking phone number? I don't wanna receive calls from companies.

1 year ago

Seriously! Used to be there were ads everywhere, ok, fine. Then they added data mining to the mix. Now you have ads, data mining and they sell your phone number to spam banks.
If I'm going to give you my stuff to sell, I'd better get way way more than a few seconds of amusement out of some AI or app.

1 year ago

I don't wanna receive calls from companies.

I don't want to receive calls. Or make them :D Calling is the worst :p

1 year ago

Ye, those didn't tun out great. And I would not pay, nor give my phone number for access to more attempts. One of the reason why event is for nearly 2 weeks ;D

1 year ago

Made some other ones today, these turned out much better I'd say. Would appreciate if you could tell me if any of those qualify ^^

1 year ago

Day 2:

Much better results today, still not great but much better :D

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

First is all right.

Also yay, my voodo cat has friends now. 3rd and 4th one looks like just like him!

1 year ago

I was not as creative as you lot here: "christmas space cat"
Gave me a result after trying three different styles:
ok ok, a few more!

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago*

The last one isn't happy to be there, send it back to Earth asap.

1 year ago

Second looks like Cyberpunk 2077 model when textures did not have time to load xD

1 year ago

The first attempts actually were the best. I tried to let space cat meet Santa with my following tries and all the AIs failed to make this happen (nicely).

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

and all the AIs failed to make this happen (nicely).

Then I thank you for not sharing those results. I saw some really weird and twisted images generated by AI :sweatsmile:

When I look on first image, one of previous images already had Christmas tree generated in similar style :D

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

It's cat with Christmas but it lacks "space" element :D

If I'd see it somewhere else, I'd think it's a talented kid painting with water paints.

1 year ago

Imagine that the cat is inside a spaceship in the common area

1 year ago

That would be too much of a stretch ;D

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

This looks like an image from anime ;D Not much Christmas there though.

1 year ago

Hey, at least one of them look like a cat.

View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

I like the alien one more, is cute hehe.

1 year ago

First one lacks on "space". Second looks like Kubey... I don't like Kyubey.

(Don't google Kyubey if you want to watch Madoka Magica to avoid spoilers :D)

View attached image.
1 year ago

The cat are flying hahaha

View attached image.
1 year ago*

Why does it have candle at the back? What phrase did you use? :D

1 year ago

I'm just using "Cat space flying in to the space with santa coming with gifts" and didn't expect to be that hahaha

1 year ago

View attached image.
1 year ago

Bit more purple in the back and we would have a classic space cat!

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 weeks ago.

1 year ago*

Cats. Always going after the tree.

View attached image.
1 year ago

That's all I could generate before running out of "credit" and getting the hang of the sentence structure to get good results.
I couldn't manage to get the space background I wanted (apparently the AI doesn't know what "galaxy" means :D) but I got a few that look half decent if you can ignore the obvious flaws as soon as you look more closely...

I like the first one because the cat is so cute and I love the scarf. Too bad the background and the Santa hat didn't turn out that great.
The rest are pretty goofy, but I like the second one as well despite there being two cats instead of one. Again, the background is not what I had in mind, but it's pretty. Just not sure if can be considered space.

The first 4 might qualify? As for #5 it's just really goofy but it's really funny, so I'll include it here for the laugh. :D
The others are just kind of pretty, so I'll throw them in just for fun. Don't think they qualify.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
1 year ago

The first one is so sophisticated! It's like Santa Cat but with class

1 year ago

Last one is most close to what I had in mind :thinking:

If you look on space cat gif you can see it's starry / galaxy one. And AI tends to generate background as general "sky from earth" perspective, which is more like landscape than space. Like you can see on the 1 - 3 ones. Other way is to have cat in space suit but here AI has problem and can make really twisted human-like cats.

Also cat on 2nd image is so grumpy. I love it. Like this person who helps with Christmas as their best friend is enjoying it, even when they don't have any Christmas spirit themselves.

1 year ago

Also cat on 2nd image is so grumpy. I love it. Like this person who helps with Christmas as their best friend is enjoying it, even when they don't have any Christmas spirit themselves.

I know right, I can totally see it. :D

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.