Shovel Knight (Steam)
Shovel Knight (GOG)
Shovel Knight (Humble; $9.04 with Monthly discount)
$10 sale ends March 2nd for any place they were able to get them going.

DLC#0: Shovel Knight becomes Shovel Knight Treasure Trove (most likely to distinguish it from the rest of the added DLC, but mostly to advertise it as a complete package I GUESS)
DLC#1: Plague of Shadows is already released.
DLC#2: Specter of Torment releases in April (?) unless delayed.
DLC#3: Shovel Knight: King Knight’s (name TBD) releases sometime in 2017

Announcement article http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/02/specter-of-torment-and-treasure-trove-initial-release-date/

All owners of Shovel Knight on all platforms will automatically own Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove instead and will continue to get each of the planned free campaigns and features via updates. It will work exactly like how Shovel Knight was updated to include its first campaign addition, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Don’t worry! *

Around the release of this new campaign, all existing versions of Shovel Knight, on all platforms, will become Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove! With three full-fledged character campaigns, Challenge Mode, local co-op, Body Swap, and somehow even more content on the way– Shovel Knight’s adventure has expanded considerably since the original release. Along with the change, the price of Shovel Knight will increase to $24.99 in March.

this means all DLC, the unreleased Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows and Shovel Knight: King Knight’s (I think this too?), are free if you own it before April (but the price goes up to $25 in March)*

oh yeah

If I buy this as a gift, and gift it to someone (let's say a year from now) will it be as if they are recieveing THIS current version, and thus grant them access to everything (like current owners have & will get)?

The answer: yes
(oops. I had the wrong question)
I don't.. know!! The publisher or dev (?) might respond on the Steam forums, so lurk this and wait for an answer. I looked this up just to see, but I don't have any answers that aren't in the article. I don't want to give possible false information is all.

Here are better details for Shovel Knight and the DLC for free. Basically, you get it if you own Shovel Knight.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

N...

View Results
I'll wait for the price increase
Guess I'll get it now..
Never
Already got it
oh yeah.. here's a giveaway

I might get it......
It is on my wishlist for ages now and it still looks cool and fun!
I wonder if there is any chance it will be in March Humble Monthly.........

7 years ago

I guess it could join a bundle, but... just the Shovel of Hope version, not the Treasure Trove.

Most good bundled games don't include DLCs, so it could work out this way.

Anyway, the game is worth it. The research they did to replicate the NES limitations were awesome.

For those interested, it's a good read:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

7 years ago

I think it never ever hit a bundle, so Humble Monthly might be the right time for it.....
Might be......
Guess I can wait and see and decide after reveal whether to buy this or not.

7 years ago

It would be really weird for it to be included in a HB Monthly around the same time the price is to go up. I don't make business (or PR) decisions, though, but I think it would be a really weird one.

edit: I guess what LordDarkness said might work, but I sort of forgot there was going to be a separate parts of the game you could buy to upgrade.

7 years ago

One can have hopes, even if they might not come true!

One way or another, we will know in a week!

7 years ago

Bump!

7 years ago

I got it for free, still have to complete the first DLC

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.

7 years ago

Question: I couldnt find the info anywhere. What happens if i buy the game now? I will get the base game + all additional DLCs for the 10€?

7 years ago

I honestly don't know that.

edit: for some reason I read this as if you were asking if you wanted to keep a gift copy and if you would still get all the DLC later.

7 years ago*

I don't know what the cutoff date is exactly, but from what I have read if you own the game prior to the release of the Specter of Torment campaign it will automatically get upgraded to the Treasure Trove Edition, which will be the new complete package of everything sold at a $25 price point. This applies to all platforms. Then on certain platforms they will also be selling the campaigns included in the Treasure Trove Edition as separate standalone games at $10 each. As of this moment there are 3 campaigns (Shovel of Hope, Plague of Shadows, and Specter of Torment) with a 4th one forthcoming later in the year (King Knight's campaign).

Yacht Club Games have stated that the reasons that they are changing the sales model is to raise more awareness for the newer campaigns (which might otherwise simply fly under the radar as a free update and nothing else), and to give buyers more options. I would also speculate that another reason is that the game has grown in 'size' and gotten so much additional content for free thus far that a price hike was in the cards. Given that the game has never been more than 33% off that I can recall, this would seem like a good time to buy it with the forthcoming price increase, especially if you are interested in all of the content.

7 years ago*

I confused this question with the user who wanted to know if a gift copy of Shovel Knight will give access to all DLC in the future (if they gift it a year from now or so). I can't honestly give a real answer to THAT question, but I am sort of assuming it upgrades to Treasure Trove, but I won't advertise that it will.

7 years ago

Given that the purchase has already been made I would think it would regardless of when it is redeemed. I'm with you on that. If they have any doubts they should contact YCG directly.

7 years ago

I've asked HB support about it since I bought a key from them yesterday which I'm not planning to redeem yet. I will let you know once they get back to me in that matter.

7 years ago

They might not be able to give you a proper answer. If anything I think the developer would be the one to ask.

7 years ago

I know and I'm sure they will ask the dev before responding to me.

7 years ago

If you buy the game now, you'll have "Shovel Knight", which has game and first DLC (Plague of Shadows).

When the second DLC (Specter of Torment) gets released, your game will become "Treasure Trove" edition, which will retain the "base game" (soon to be called Shovel of Hope), and all DLCs released, and all future DLCs as well (King Knight’s Campaign and Battle Mode, to be released later in 2017) .

All owners of Shovel Knight on all platforms will automatically own Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove instead and will continue to get each of the planned free campaigns and features via updates. It will work exactly like how Shovel Knight was updated to include its first campaign addition, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Don’t worry!

This "conversion" from Shovel Knight to Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove will happen until Treasure Trove is released and the new pricing model begins.

If you haven’t yet picked up Shovel Knight on a particular platform, and wanted all the content included within Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, now is the ideal time to do so before the price increases in March! This may be your LAST CHANCE to get it at such a low price!

7 years ago*

good, thx :) i think i will buy it in this case :D

7 years ago

Grab your shovel and be ready!

I'd also suggest reading this, will make the game much more valuable knowing how they made the game mimic the NES limitations:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

7 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 6 years ago.

7 years ago

$25 for all. The "base" only might me something like $10 later, base price.

Well, of course if you wait forever you'll get it cheaper... personally I think it's worth it and they deserved it.

As I said, paying $10 on a soon-to-be $25 is 60% discount, which I think it's fair enough.

7 years ago

$25 will be the new price for the complete package. What you say is true, however my guess is you most likely will be waiting a loooong time. The game has been out for over 2 years yet has never gotten more than a 33% discount.

7 years ago

bump

7 years ago

You can take this game and shovel it. By which I mean, thanks for the giveaway and the explanation of the fake sale price.

7 years ago

Bump since I'm entered now.

7 years ago

7 years ago

thanks for the heads up and bump ^^
So basically this is like getting a 60% off sale after the price increase.

7 years ago

So you are only discovering now that since Steam change it's pricing scheme and the whole VG publishing market aligned, prices have been consistently rising, while some other games are remaining at full price and never cut (best exemple being GTAV), and that sales are less and less enticing?

7 years ago

this is just an awareness thread for people that want to buy Shovel Knight before the price increase.

7 years ago

Nice conspiracy theory you've got there.

And Steam doesn't have anything to do with prices, specially in this case.

Why are you doing this to me, Yacht Club Games? Why don’t you just sell the updates as DLC!?
We want to keep our promise of releasing free content for all players. We also want to continue building these campaigns and features to be the best! Somewhere along the way, the game has simply gotten too big! It’s difficult for many players out there to find everything or even know that these campaigns exist. We believe that providing standalone versions will provide better entry points for different types of players and allow more people to continue enjoying each adventure on their next favorite platform.

7 years ago*

I have 4.50€ on HumbleBundle Store, is good deal for 5€?

7 years ago

Also, i'm little bit lost with all that DLC stuff you commented :/ You mean they will give the DLCs free if you own the base game?

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

yes it is a good deal. After the price increase $10 will be 60% off the base price.
you might want to read this comment

7 years ago

The DLC is already free. You get the future DLC for free (without paying $25) if you buy it before the price goes up.

7 years ago

Bump!!

7 years ago

Bump

7 years ago

Bump!

7 years ago

Shovel bump.

7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I never saw this game marked for less than 33% so I guess buying it now instead of waiting for a better mark will act as getting it for a high discount when its price increases.

7 years ago

Least it got on Steam was 34% discount on December, but well, close enough to 33%. That's when I bought it. since I liked the policy of "free content" for that price, and devs were already working on "the second DLC".

7 years ago

Bump

7 years ago

shove! :P

7 years ago

Shump!

7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Bump!