...when you can sell 50 Gem bags at $.75 each for a total of $37.5 (minus fees), then buy the game for $10? Take a look at this:

http://steamcommunity.com/auction/item/349-Borderlands-The-Pre-Sequel

127.000 Gems, they are actually paying $95 (127 bags * $.75) for this game. Steam just found a clever way to trick people.

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

People aren't exactly the smartest when bidding with something other than USD/EUR, as if it isn't real. Ive seen the same behavior on 'buy your bid' type sites.

9 years ago

Who are the idiots? Those who don't sell their gems or those who do buy them?

Some people just aren't into the market or aren't even allowed to use it because of steam regulations.

9 years ago

the gems almost cost 1 usd each.
i mean srsly. how idiot ppl could be?

9 years ago

lol its 1000 gems in one sack man ! :P

9 years ago

It depends... a lot...

Lots of people (myself included) had thousands of icons, backgrounds and foil cards that couldn't be sold before this sale and the idea was to destroy it for gems. Of course, destroy backgrounds and icons sold for 3 cents (lowest possible value) was the idea too.

In my case, I sold exact 807 items in icons, backgrounds and foils in this sale. Lots of others have more icons and backgrounds and foils to burn through and racked a lot of gems. :)

9 years ago

Because people are stupid ( or want that auction winning badge). I don't get it myself, I see this as a wonderful opportunity to just sell junk ( bgs I don't like/won't use etc) and maybe in the future make a booster pack or two.

9 years ago

Gems convert proportionally to the current price of the item on the market. A item that sells for $0.1 gives you 100 gems, another that sells for $0.05 gives you 50 gems and so on, with (seems to me) 100 gems being the maximum a item can convert. The exception for this seems to be cards that convert to only 20 gems each.

What this means is that if you convert a bunch of your icons/bgs to gems and then get a Booster for 700 gems, you are actually buying the Booster for $0.70, it is better to just sell your icons/bgs individually and then get the Booster off the market for $0.3

9 years ago

9 years ago

Right when this promotion started i saw bags going for .10 a piece, but i had already spent all wallet funds on the previous sale. Pissed me off when i saw the prices take off, would have been a quick and easy win.

9 years ago

They are stupid.
1000 gems almost worth of 1 usd soon. with 50,000 gems (means 50 USD) you can buy alot of game rather than shitting and buying gems from market.
Also i am not sure they dismantling the emot because ppl dont have that much to convert it into gem.
(50,000 gems means 250 Foil Card dude even with emot 50000/80 is still cost alot).
Something fishy in this event.

9 years ago

You're wrong. Volvo failed to remove a lot of the duped and laundered gems from first three hours failure. I think a lot of these bidders paid maybe 1/10 for these gems if that. Only when the stockpile bleeds a bit we will see if people are really stupid

9 years ago

Because e-peen

9 years ago

just dont take it serious ... the sale is coming where you can buy your cheap games

dont waste money on auction and just laugh bout the stupid people ....

9 years ago

and sell them stuff, to get money for cheap games.

9 years ago

They don´t pay for the game, the pay to win this single auction...it gives them 10 seconds a good feeling...
But, the sad thing no one else cares......not even valve will give them a hug.

9 years ago

The worst part is that people are burning uncraftable icons/bgs because they give the most (100) gems, those icons that can't be obtained anymore by crafting a badge since the badge cannont be crafted anymore (e.g. Holiday Sale 2013 badge). In the near future, when all these uncraftable icons are burned there will be only VERY few left, they will rise in price and become collector's icons, so get yours now before they vanish forever.

9 years ago

You'd be surprised how "collector items" don't really rise in price when the economy is dictated by Steam users.

Tradeable SMNC? Tradeable Steam Mobile? Tradeable Steam Community Access? Tradeable Airmech?

All those are items that can no longer be obtained and users offer 1 scrap. So much for collector item ;)

I've got lots and lots of those event based backgrounds, cards (well, those that didn't vanish at least) and emotes, and I'm not the only "collector", so I don't expect the price to change any time soon. But maybe the price will actually rise a few cents by the time my grandchildren inherit my account.

9 years ago

you're welcome grbolivar :)

I win by downloading them from the swap card games and I won I turn to swap cards gems. I won $ 0.75 by selling them in the market currently $ 40 money.. and winter sale will start soon and target until the winter sale $70 ^^ (sorry my perfectly english)

9 years ago

You're surprised with Borderlands ? Take a look at CSGO, 223k gems = ~170USD. This game will be available for 7,50USD in less than a week.
Don't waste your time trying to find an explanation to the human behavior when there is money involved (and in general anyway), you will get a headache, but never the answer you're looking for.

9 years ago

Wow didn't saw that one, smart ass Valve just made their holidays from a $5 game.

9 years ago

People on Steam are weird. But the market price of my crappy icons and backgrounds doubled during the holiday auction. So it's fine with me ;).

9 years ago

Yup, this is why I like it.
I've finally sold some items that I put on the market months or even more than a year ago :)

9 years ago

how to sale that gem?mine are not marketable..=.=

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

9 years ago

badge collection

9 years ago

Probably because they can. It's the most valid reason for any behavior :P

9 years ago

i trade my sack to with stranger..why i didnt get cs:go? :-(

9 years ago

Well they previously had a bunch of junk that wasn't selling on the market, and all of a sudden they can potentially turn that into a new game. So it's understandable why they would bid. What's not understandable is not considering that the sale is coming up soon and if you sell those gems you will most likely be able to get the game on sale lol.

9 years ago

So that 2014 Holiday Profile is ~$1000? They really want that profile, the LOL part is that it will expire Jan 2015.

9 years ago

It's not "tricking people", this information that you've put here is by no means hidden or secret. There are only two reasons for this:

1. People might not be the smartest when it comes to auctions.
  2. There is badge reward for winning an auction during this event and it might be worth a lot to some people.
9 years ago

As far as I know, I could finally get rid of the 0.03 or the background/smileys I didn't like (if the cost on the market was a low price).

And for the auction, I'm bidding on games I know that aren't really attracting a lot of people and where I could have at least a chance to win one. But I will NEVER burn my entire inventory or spend a cent to have 50 000 gems.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

9 years ago

Yes why? Bid 1.000.000 instead!

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.