https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/glx7v/transocean-the-shipping-company

Hong Kong Day 1
We started by getting some late lunch at Kam's Roast Goose - a quarter of the goose. All I have to say is that this place is overrated (they have a Michelin star) and far more expensive than it should be. The goose was extremely dry and tough.
Found some wasabi flavored fried lotus roots. Very interesting texture, more starchy than a potato chip.
In the evening, headed over to the Temple Street Night Market. They were shooting some kind of movie here. I wonder what it was.
Got some boba from Sharetea too. The funny thing is that people say American sizes are big, but this drink was at least 50% bigger than any drink I've gotten from Sharetea in the US.

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

lmao "boba"

i live just an hour away from hong kong (in macau), and its probably the same there.. you see milk tea places on just about every other street

people have already started calling them "waste water" just because these shops are so abundant
and because of the competition, these tea shops are coming up with new ways to attract customers, like "no preservative bubbles" and whatnot

i get one to drink only about 5 times a year

5 years ago

1 Michelin star and you get the food in plastic ? WTF, sounds VERY strange

5 years ago

There are a few "holes in the walls" and even a couple of street vendors in Asia with Michelin stars. I haven't had any food there so I can't judge the quality of the food but I can tell you the big players who spend a big bunch on service, comfort and dishware are pretty mad at it lol

5 years ago

Hong Kong is still one of the buzzing places for food but that's a real shame indeed. That goose looks like it's been cooked twice. My chef de cuisine would kick us into the street and then our maitre d' would come and beat us up lol because he's the one who'd hear it from the clients.

5 years ago

Tbh, I wont say for other Asian families but personally, my mum likes her food cooked 100%. It looks overcooked to many but that is the way she wants it. You will not see blood of the poultry she cooked. You wont see pink meat as she deemed it under-cooked. I do understand her concerns as hygiene and general wellness is what every mother cares for her family. She was never taught cooking before thus perhaps this is a little flaw of hers. She also do not understand raw food like sushi, nor the blood oozing out when you cut a stick and avoids them. Cheers~

5 years ago

She's like my mother in law then and I know there are other people like that. I have a friend who literally freaks out if she sees anything red in her plate with steak. She's Dominican and she says "Dominicans are not vampires, we don't drink blood" lol

It goes against all my culinary instincts but hey people should eat what they like. In a Michelin Star restaurant though, unless asked, it's a massive flaw.

5 years ago

Yep, She'll not eat and frown if her meat has blood or cooked blood in it. Lol, your friend is funny. XD Something to note is that it is an initiative by Michelin to give 1 star to these Hawker foods. Why? I am not sure, to make food expensive when they were affordable before? In my country Singapore, there are 2 such stores. Imho, they are pretty ok, I feel I have tasted better versions of their food but everyone's taste is different. I've only tasted one of the stalls before it got the star.

I've not been to a Michelin Restaurant, nor do I eat expensive food but I certainly can respect how the chef wants to represent. If I want some preference I would have told the kitchen before-hand. Regards. ^_^

5 years ago

Why? I am not sure, to make food expensive when they were affordable before?

Not sure either. White guilt? I think maybe they've been told that the restaurants they were giving stars to in most of Southeast Asia were only affordable by millionaires and decided to diversify? I really don't know. I've heard good things about the ones in Singapore and I know they opened regular restaurants as well now but I haven't tried them.
I think there can be amazing food in the most unlikely places because food is about taste and technique and that's not about money so I have no problem with it if the food is worth it.

5 years ago

Indeed, they try to diversify, pretty sure they mentioned that there are great street foods out there thus they came up with "The MICHELIN Guide Street Food". Those weren't even restaurants before just a small space store. One of the aspects for them to be popular was they were affordable and above average which do not necessary mean they are best in the area. Which imho defeats the purpose of popularizing them.

As you mentioned. I guess why Singapore is considered as one of the Food Heavens in the world is because if you dig hard enough and is acceptance to the taste you'll find good food. Personally, growing up on these street foods, I see alot of great Hawkers come and go, most of them are gone. Now food items and taste and pretty standardized.

I live in an area where the surrounding area has many well-known or tasty hawker foods. Nowadays, I struggle to recommend anything to eat, either the food is just a repetitive or the older owner retired and the food is cooked by the heir/hired help and it taste so much different. Alot of good food stores are also being priced out of rent. They either have to price the customer out or not sustain. When you price the customer out, as good as they are, you'll lose majority in long run. Most chose not to do it and just retire early. :)

5 years ago

I love Singaporean food! One of my favorite cuisines. Would love to visit again - but honestly only for the food. There's not much else to do imo.

5 years ago

I have to agree, you need to spend in what I define as decent fun. There are much cheaper and larger scales in other countries than what we can offer for a small island. The heat here is mostly unbearable at times staying a whole day outside. If you are looking for some spending on lavish styles I guess it might be a good destination. Still as you mentioned there a good traditional and different cultural foods to be found here! Cheers, Cruse~ ^_^

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

you should hire yourself as an extra in there, at least you would get some more moneys for food ;)

5 years ago

Are you going to visit Macau, my home city?

5 years ago

Spoilers!

5 years ago

You call them Boba? We just call them Bubble Tea here. Very overpriced and sweet drink but I love the tapioca pearls, so chewy! Ever since I started drinking Green Tea without any sweetener and is diabetic, I stop drinking it often. :(

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.