Most sporting events have been cancelled for the last 2 months. The UFC looks it's actually going ahead this weekend (masks, lots of testing, no spectators), so let's try another UFC prediction event. This will be my 6th time doing an event like this. Recording predictions, checking edits, checking results etc. has been a lot of work in the past, so I'm changing the format a little to make it easier for me.

On May 9th, UFC 249 will be held Countdown to preliminary fights

How to enter/Rules

Rather than copy/pasting a table with predictions like previous events, I'm trying out Google Forms. This will be behind an sgtools check (if you can't pass the check, there's still one giveaway you can enter further down). I'll be cross checking that all entries went through the check so those of you who get through, please don't share the link.

• Complete the Google Form that's behind the sgtools check - The form asks for your SG username and a winner in all 12 fights. You will also need to choose the method by which they will win (knockout/technical knockout,submission, or decision). * If you change your prediction, you can resubmit the form up until the start of the event. I will count the newest submission. Changes or submissions made after the scheduled start of preliminary fights will not be counted (The time of submission is recorded)
  • Last minute change of fighters by the UFC or cancellations will mean that fight does not count in the contest (e.g Dominick Cruze can't fight and is replaced by another fighter = the result of that fight is ignored for all predictions). I will try to keep on top of this and post any news as I find it leading up to the event so you can change your predictions in time.

Entry and Prizes

The winner of the contest is chosen based on the number of correct predicted winners. When two people have the same number of picks, the method of winning is used to determine places in the table. I will add the overall winner on Steam and send a game directly, so winning is based only on your ability to predict the fights or your good luck!

1. Everyone Lvl 3+ Here's a giveaway for EARTHLOCK for reading this far! (Anti-bot protection in place)
  2. All those who pass the sgtools check Can enter the Lvl4+ giveaway for Hidden through Time and predict the event, basic sgtools plus Minimum ratio using number of gifts Sent/Won on Steamgifts: 0.33 (you can't have won more than 3x the number of games you have given away)
  3. 1st place You got through the sgtools check and made predictions before the event started. You got the most correct predictions. Your prize is a game from your wishlist (must have been added before 07 May). If you have no wishlist or they're all expensive games, I'll contact you to work out another prize. Similar deal if there's a tie for 1st. I'm not rich!

Entries to the prediction event are closed, the fights have started

How to Watch

It's being broadcast on UFC Fight Pass and a variety of TV channels around the world (ESPN+ in the U.S, BT Sport in the UK, Foxtel Main Event in Australia, Sky Arena in New Zealand, etc.). If you want to check how to watch in your country, try this page (you might need to change the region in the top right).
You may be able to find another method of watching online, but I am not condoning or encouraging any kind of illegal activity!
Alternatively, soon after the event (or sometimes after each individual fight) you can probably see highlights on sports news sites, or via clips and gifs on sites like the MMA subreddit.

Fight Results

I'll start updating results in the table below after a couple of fights have finished. I'll try and get a finsal standing chart of people who entered too, but there are a lot more entries than usual (49!), so I probably won't be able to do that live this time.

Fight Winner Method of win
1. Ryan Spann DEC
2. Bryce Mitchell DEC
3. Vicente Luque TKO
4. Ronaldo Souza vs. Uriah Hall Cancelled
5. Carla Esparza DEC
6. Aleksei Oleinik DEC
7. Anthony Pettis DEC
8. Greg Hardy DEC
9. Calvin Kattar KO
10. Francis Ngannou KO
11. Henry Cejudo TKO
12. Justin Gaethje KO

Leaderboard at the end of the event

Rank SG User Winners picked Methods picked
1. HaveADrunkDay 9 8
2. gangnamstyle 9 6
3. Gaffi 9 5
3. Golwar 9 5
4. ikucufire 9 3
4. Mightman 9 3
5. DirigibleDan 9 2

All Predictions

Slight miscount on the methods due to a mistake in my formulas, now updated. Thankfully it didn't change the winner (-.-;) or the order. Just a few more equal scores.
Full list of submitted predictions in a not very user friendly format here

View attached image.
3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

posted a reply in the wrong place - delete -
....long day

3 years ago

is there any way to see how bad we did? I can't remember half of my choices

3 years ago

In future, I should probably use a different gmail account and share the sheet without the ability to edit. Not keen on posting a link to something that has my email though.

I've copied yours below, but hopefully not all 48 people want to see caus it'll take me forever.

7 Correct fighters
4 Correct methods

UFC 249 Predictions

Fight Predicted Winner Predicted Result
1. Spann Submission
2. Bryce Mitchell Submission
3. Vicente Luque KO/TKO
4. Ronaldo Souza Submission
5. Carla Esparza Decision
6. Alexey Oleynik Submission
7. Anthony Pettis KO/TKO
8. Yorgan de Castro KO/TKO
9. Calvin Kattar Decision
10. Jairzinho Rozenstruik KO/TKO
11. Dominick Cruz Decision
12. Tony Ferguson KO/TKO
3 years ago

Here's an attempt to show everyone's predictions without me working too hard!
I'll find a better way for next time. I didn't expect this many entries.

Click on the image and the new window it opens in will be just big enough to read! :)

View attached image.
3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.