I was at level 5.41 a week or two ago, now I'm at 5.38. How did I go down, especially when I have made giveaways?

9 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Some games got bundled maybe?

9 years ago

One of your games might have had its price reduced, or might have been added to the bundle list.

9 years ago

Wolfenstein: The New Order now costs $45 instead of $60 it seems.

9 years ago

This is probably it. Permanent price drops will affect your level. Games that get added to bundles won't affect it.

9 years ago

Gab... Wait, nope. ;)

9 years ago

that's weird because my spore complete pack still seems to provide same cv

9 years ago

Are you serious? I gave away the game when it was $60, I should get credit for that. What's the point of giving away a new $60 title if we lose points when it inevitable drops in price?

9 years ago

Lol

maybe this isn't the place for you.

9 years ago

maybe

9 years ago

Ok, I see this as a flawed system.

Currently, sg checks if your giveaway date was before a game was in a bundle to determine if your giveaway gets full cv or only the 15% bundle cv.

Then why not does sg check if your giveaway date was before a game's base price drops???!!!

Cause I know 'the evil within' base price will drop in a year. (heck, wasn't south park $60 and now $40? I would hate to lose cv... if I did do a SP giveawy when it was $60)

9 years ago

It's because SG doesn't set a particular value to every game, but fetches them from Steam itself. Bundle CV reduction is basically just two steps: 1) was this ever in a bundle? Yes - go to step 2. No - full value. 2) was this given after bundle? Yes - 15% of value. No - full value. Note that bundle games themselves can be affected by store price drops.
It's done this way only because storing all the price data would cause more stress to the site.

9 years ago

^yea I figured as much, as just fetching the price is more simple and uses less server resources. (not to mention who wants to keep updating a list?)

9 years ago

Just thought about something, how about this:
CV is added to your account once a giveaway has been given and recieved, at this time it uses the fetched price. (instead of cv bein recalculated after each giveaway, it instead now only has to add up the values)

This way if the games base price drops at a later date, you have all ready be awarded the previous price.

9 years ago

My own comment explains why that is a bad idea. The moment Steam is giving us a bundle price, 50 quick giveaways will pop up to exploit it.

9 years ago

Ah, ture, steam could make an error. Happend to me twice (both times I had to pay full price when the game was on sale...)

9 years ago

How about you write up some code for that.

9 years ago

Saving the current price would be a flawed process, because Steam will sometimes send the wrong price, such as for a collection. Rather than allow people the chance to buy a DLC for a dollar and get the $100 pack as CV, this site only uses the current price.

9 years ago

:P no one should ever rely on steam

9 years ago

You're doing charity giveaways for CV?! Shame on you!

9 years ago

I kinda understand tho, because at the end you gave a giveaway worth 60$, you paid that price, so the level shoudlnt level down tbh. seems kinda unfair to me.

9 years ago

I dunno, what's the point of buying a new car if by the time you're done with it it's worthless?

Depreciation. It's part of life.

9 years ago

you could say you got hamburglared

9 years ago

A bad word, but made me chuckle.

View attached image.
9 years ago

It isn't that big of a difference though... 5.41 to 5.38... I don't even know how or why you would want to know. We're all here because we are kind, loving people who enjoy making other people happy through the act of giving, right? Right?

9 years ago

If you give away new AAA games, your CV will drop a lot (some time later).
This is one of the reasons why you can rarely see those games here.
I never understood why is that good, but that's how this site works.

9 years ago

It really doesn't make sense that price drops affect it. It shouldn't, and I don't know why they have it set up that way.

9 years ago

It's just CV. What's the big deal?

9 years ago

CV = How awesome you are duh

9 years ago

High CV don't make a person more or less awesome unless the person is a low level leech.

9 years ago

Mine goes bananas every time I make a batch of giveaways and I don't think it's simple price cuts on Steam.

I made some bundle GAs + 1 non-bundle the last couple of days that should have seen me go up to 9.01. I used that real CV calculator tool thingymabob to work it out. The bundle games were all bundled a long time ago too so it's not like they were retroactively bundled and that made the difference in what I see.

At different times I actually noticed I was 9.03, 9.04, 9.05 and 9.07 and I'm now where I think I should be. This happens each time I make new giveaways and takes time to settle down. I get too much CV initially (the difference between 9.01 and 9.07 is $120) and then it comes back to where it should be in a few hours or days. It's strange.

9 years ago*

Hello, help me please, look i was level 5.04 and now i am Level 4.98, why happen this?? what can i do for fix this issue?
Regards! ^^

8 years ago

Most likely something you gave away went down in price or it was added to the bundle list retroactively

View attached image.
8 years ago

The EXACT same thing happens to me. Make a bunch of giveaways, cv goes up, and then, particularly when I'm about to reach a new level, it inexplicably drops down. Wish there was a way to make this process more transparent, so you could actually know which games caused the drop. We understand the explanation, but what is lacking is a way to easily see the specifics.

(and I don't care about bumping an old thread; I'm doing it on purpose because I finally found someone who spoke to my experience)

8 years ago

That odd feeling where you remember reading this thread and UraniumFalconPunch's reply to it.. It feels like max 2 months ago, but in reality it's nearly a year ago. Jesus. I need to stop being so much on the forum. Lol.

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.