I'm looking into getting a new graphics card... and I'm not sure if the extra charge is actually justified by possible supererogation.

Prices at which I could get cards (the specific cards are just examples):
RX 580 ca. 200€ (Sapphire Pulse)
RX 590 ca. 230€ (XFX Fatboy)
GTX 1070 ca. 290€ (Zotac Mini it's on discount every now and then)

Im using 2560 x 1440 resolution and the graphics card should be in use for the next several years. It also should be able to handle VR well enough as I might be getting a VR headset at some point - windows mixed reality, for watching movies and somewhat "light" gaming - that it should also be able to feed. The latter of which is why I didn't consider the RTX2060 since that only has 6GB of RAM... and it's even more expensive than the GTX 1070.

Please refrain from fanboyism either for AMD or NVIDIA - since money is a limiting factor I'll have to look what's the best deal for me.
I'm posting here, hoping and looking for your input on what you think in regards of the more expensive cards being worth the cost or not.

EDIT: For all the people voting (especially for the GTX 1070) - could you please leave a short comment why you picked the one you've picked?

Thanks for contributing:
1 2 3 4 5

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Best choice of graphics card considering their (listed) prices

View Results
RX 580
RX 590
GTX 1070

I'd never again get a Zotac. I had a 1050Ti mini and fan was locked to a certain value, I think 40%, no chance to get a silent card. Sent it back.

5 years ago

It gets 4.9 stars out of 5 from 178 buyers on the price search machine I'm looking. The only other two 1070's with better comparable reviews (as in amount of reviews) are the ASUS ROG Strix for 470€ and the MSI Gaming X for 495€.
The cheapest 1070 typically is 330€ - hence the the Zotac at discount. But I appreciate your input!

5 years ago

Ich würde es nicht tun xD

Just my two cents ... if you play with a headset or generally don't have a problem with a louder setup, it might be no problem.I think it is just a point which might be of interest. Maybe this behaviour is only 1050Ti-related ;)

5 years ago

I absolutely see where you're coming from. I don't think though that the volume would be a problem (it being annoyingly loud) while only idling/surfing the net/watching videos and I don't mind it much when playing with speakers on.
That said I have no idea how loud the Zotac Mini actually is but I would assume that it would get much worse reviews if the volume would be an issue for people (considering how important of an issue it is to most people).

5 years ago

Yes, the 1050Ti also has quite good reviews e.g. on amazon.de ... was just a remarkable issue in idle mode, that made a difference for me. For comparison: my ASUS 1050Ti has 40% just now as I am in AC Odyssey and not like the Zotac in Idle mode.

All in all it might be no problem at all. But for me it was a bad not being able to control fan fitting my needs.

5 years ago

Maybe an issue just with the specific card that you got back then or did everyone have the same issue with it? Just guessing...

5 years ago

Nope, I wrote Zotac Germany support and they said, there is no way to change this behaviour. They know the issue but Zotac worldwide doesn't deliver a firmware upgrade.

5 years ago

I had the Zotac 1050 ti OC edition.

Card was completely silent & performed quite well with a Ryzen 5 1600.

Wasn't my first choice but gpu prices were crazy at the time due to the mining craze & got a great price on it (FREE). Won it from a local contest.

5 years ago

I'd also suggest not to get a Zotac, I have a GT740LP on my gf rig and it gave me all kind of problems, RMA'd it, came back after more than a month, still faulty.

5 years ago

I recently bought a 1060 Mini for a friend, and it's actually super silent. Not sure if those cards have the same fan, though.

5 years ago

I just changed my card from GTX 970 to Vega 56.

Right now RX Vega 56 is at the same price as RTX 2060 but it have 8GB Vram and both cards are -/+5% FPS in games compered to each other.

I think youtube test and benchmark sites would help you to decide what you need.

RX 590 is 10-15% more FPS than RX 580.
GTX 1070 is 35-40% more FPS than RX 580.

It all depends how much you earn and how much is 90 euro vs 40% more FPS worth for you.

5 years ago

The Vega 56 is 320€ (so 50 more than the 1070) - also, my PSU (550W) might be a limiting factor in this scenario and I won't get a new one for that reason - so I neglected that card.

Lets just say the 580 is much more in my budget than the 1070 - but considering how long I'm planning to use it and what I want to do with it,... you see... that's where I'm having problems to decide as 90€ is quite the difference.

5 years ago

With 550W PSU Vega 56 is not an option as it needs a good 750W PSU.

If you plan to use the card you buy now for next 4 years or more go for GTX 1070 but if you plan to use it for 2-3 years and than buy new card buy RX 590.

5 years ago

Right. And another 100€ just for a PSU or a no deal for me.
Thanks for your thoughts on the topic!

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

I see...

5 years ago

hmmm....i have quality 550W Chieftec with double RX 580 and OC FX8300 and it runs fine. and my power consumption for my whole PC, monitors, 5.1 speakers, printer, double UPS and everything else never go over 400W

5 years ago

Well you have a quality 550W Chieftec (like silver, gold or higher). He never said what is his PSU.

RX 580 only need 150W while Vega 56 need 210W-250W depending on the cooling and it can also be set in WattMan to +50% more power consumption for more FPS.

THIS CAN BE WRONG: From what I know all PSU have a sweetspot around 50% usage so they don't work too hard and don't heat too much and that makes them last longer. So if your PC is taking 400-500W it is good to have a 1000W PSU.

5 years ago

those 50% are for efficiency level for those PSU, which should be best around 50% but some PSU have horrible efficiency bellow 20%
for example GOLD have minimum 90/92/89% efficiency with 20/50/100% load
about noise and heat is probably right, but still i use about 300/550W which is still low and as i said, i have 2 graphic cards with OC FX8300 which is pretty old and not much efficience
but correct, we dont know which PSU OP is using

5 years ago

True. Better safe than sorry :)

I use 750W PSU for about 4 years now and I will use it for next 4 I think.

Also I added you to whitelist since you sound smart and you know much about PC :)

5 years ago

thank you :)

5 years ago

Can consider GTX 1660ti

5 years ago

Way too expensive for what you get. 6 GB of RAM, why?

5 years ago

I saw that, too. But it only has 6 GB of RAM and is 290€, so about the same price as the 1070 - while apparently on average worse in WQHD than the 1070. That's why I didn't list it above.

5 years ago

The TechSpot review had the 1660 Ti faster than the 1070 by 2% on average at both 1080p and 1440p.

TechSpot also showed that 6GB isn't currently a real limitations. (And of course it's taken into account in the benchmarks.)

Moving forward, 8GB may be more of an issue, but on the other hand developers are more likely to have their games tuned for Turing than for Pascal, so it would probably balance.

5 years ago*

I had checked two German pages for detailed benchmarks.
No matter how games possibly might be tuned, I'm not spending the same money for less of a cards with more or less the same performance (or even worse).
But I appreciate your input!

5 years ago

Second-hand goods of mining graphics board which can be remodeled to RX 580 was sold in large quantities last month.(50€)
Recently, 'GTX 1660 Ti' was also sold ....(160€ ?)
There are places to think about variously,
However, if there is no reason to hurry, you will be able to purchase those with improved performance if you wait six months.

5 years ago

You're talking of imports from China? That's no option.
160€ for the 1660 Ti would be great - but new it's 290€ over here.
Sure... you'll always get something better if you wait longer. Which I might do... but right now I'm looking for something for the next one to two months as I'm currently running on the CPU's GPU only.

5 years ago

China? Oh, Nvidia second hand, there was also such thing.
(I do not recommend it)
There were a lot of items flowing out of the mining factory before the operation of Japan last month.
no time?
If you choose in the vote ....
If performance is given priority, it will be GTX 1070, and if you keep the funds it will be RX 590.
Both Nvidia and AMD have games that are good at moving, there is a weak game.
We recommend choosing after checking that there are no problems with the game you enjoy on daily basis.

5 years ago

I know nothing about mining cards besides those from China - I also know nothing about what happened in Japan last month.
Thank you for your reasoning in regards of the cards!

5 years ago

6 GB is enough.

5 years ago

For VR? In the long run? I have 32 GB of RAM on my mainboard as I do heavy tasks from time to time. In these scenarios more RAM is always better - even with the GPU.

5 years ago

On Gpu, for that resolution, 6 GB is enough.

5 years ago

Maybe if you're only gaming.

5 years ago

And why you would need more on GPU if not for gaming? Besides that, this thread IS about gaming.

5 years ago

You realize that you can do more with a PC than play games? Have you ever heard of 3D product design? Engineering? Video and picture rendering?
Besides that, this is my thread. It is in the Off-Topic section of the discussions and it is not about gaming - it's about finding a new graphics cards.

5 years ago

OK, but you wrote you need it for "light gaming". 6 GB is enough for gaming on that resolution, that's my point.

5 years ago

You're missing the point though. Anyways, I'm not gonna repeat myself.
Thanks for contributing. Have a nice Sunday.

5 years ago

You too, I hope you have a better idea what to buy now.

5 years ago

Most of the times 6 GB is enough but at other times it is not.

Not only number of GB in Vram but also speed of Vram matters.

Some games need 6/8/10/12 GB of VRAM and how it is done is by taking up 95% of Vram you have and the rest is done by using RAM.

Not enough VRAM makes the textures and stuff go into system RAM. it works, but the latency of system ram makes it very not ideal. Like 2GB of Vram with 8008 MHz speed vs 2GB of RAM with 2400 MHz speed.

Also memory bus is important. So while I have 8 GB of Vram with "only" 800 Mhz I have also 2048-bit memory bus and that makes my Vram faster than 6GB of RTX 2060 Vram with 14000 MHz but only 192-bit memory bus.

5 years ago*

On Gpu, for that resolution, 6 GB is enough.

5 years ago

Can you name me a game that requires more than 6GB of VRAM at 1440p while still running at 60fps or more on a GTX 1070?

5 years ago

Well at 60 fps propably not. But 60 fps vs a higher fps like 100 or more is a big difference in gaming experience and some games are just poorly optimized.

Like Batman Arkham Knight on max settings was asking for 9,7 GB of VRAM while on high settings game was asking for 5,5 GB Vram.

5 years ago

Yeah and a GTX 1070 won't cut it then either. Those are such "mega-ultra" settings that they're not meant to be played during this or even the next generation. Unoptimized tech and unnecessary implementations to show off your e-penis.

But that's the issue overall. The 1060 and 1070 aren't strong enough to use all the VRAM they're given because using that extra VRAM will also mean that every other part of your GPU also works harder. The VRAM and the actual GPU's fidelity aren't in balance.

And this guy himself said he'll do light gaming and will most likely spend a lot of time in VR. If that's the case, then anything under 60fps will be unplayable and it can actually cause literal health issues like vertigo, nausea, vomiting, mild disorientation and so on.
Of course, extra VRAM never hurts anyone, but in these cases, it'll never help you either. An RTX 2060 seems to strike that balance way better with a performance that's better than the GTX 1070 on normal settings, having an option for those extra RTX features, having longer support thanks to its generational gap and having GDDR6, which is way better than GDDR5. And to top it off, an RTX 2060 is cheaper than a GTX 1070 or at the same price depending on the manufacturer and the deal.

We'll get to the point of needing more VRAM soon. But unless you're in the enthusiast market, this shift won't happen yet.

5 years ago

I agree with most of what you said.

I only think RTX now is not good but I hope that technology will be better in future.
And I hope DLSS will become something good or just die.

And how long 6GB Vram will be enough we can't predict. It can be 2 years it can be 5. We will see.

5 years ago

Budget-wise, the 580 and 1070 are quite different. What's your actual budget?

5 years ago

The budget is 200 to 290 - depending on what card I decide on. Definitely not more. And preferably less than the maximum.

5 years ago

Vega 56 also dips into this price range, like the 1070 does, and it would be better than the 1070.

5 years ago

As I've said, it's 60€ more expensive than the mentioned 1070. That's far out of that price range.

5 years ago

Haven't read all replies. You might want to update the OP with more details. I can see how the PSU might be an issue.

However, your assertion about price is wrong. See this for example. That price is no longer valid, but as I said, the Vega 56 dips in price just like the 1070 does, so if you're not counting on the regular SRP, that's something you need to take into consideration.

5 years ago

I might have mixed up comments... Either way, as said in other replies - with the Vega 56 needing another PSU, that's not an option for me.

5 years ago

Not necessarily. I've seen people posting about the Vega 56 working with a 550W PSU. It would of course depend on how power hungry your CPU is, and possibly also the quality of your PSU. The Vega 56 can typically be undervolted, which should help.

I think you should leave it as an option.

5 years ago

No, 550W is too little - better safe than sorry.

5 years ago

würde statt der 1070 direkt die 1660ti nehmen. rx580 und 1160ti haben zurzeit das beste preis/leistungsverhältnis. was auch ab und zu angeboten wird is die vega 56 für 265€ bei mindfactory ... is stock nicht kosteneffizient un is halt n blower aber wenn sie undervoltet wird gehts sogar vom stromverbrauch.
*habs mim netzteil erst jetzt gelesen warum die vega doch keine option für dich ist

5 years ago

Die 1660Ti ist aufgrund der Leistung zum gleichen Preis wie die 1070 keine Option für mich. Vor allem bei sogar 2 GB weniger RAM.

5 years ago

sie mag zwar weniger ram haben, hat aber selbst mit 6gb und niedrigererem bus hat die 1660ti eine höhere bandbreite als eine 1070 ... dennoch bin ich auch kein großer fan von 6gb ram. ich nehme an, dass die 1070 in nächster zeit vom preis sinken wird weshalb das nochmal attraktiver für dich sein könnte. ich überlege selbst meine graka zu tauschen weshalb ich jede woche einmal preise vergleiche und dokumentiere ...

5 years ago

Kleiner Tip: Öfters mal bei mydealz.de reinschauen ;-)

5 years ago

merk ich mir, hab bisher hauptsächlich auf geizhals verglichen
ach ja ... evtl is die was für dich https://www.alternate.de/Palit/GeForce-GTX-1070-Jetstream-Grafikkarte/html/product/1280367?campaign=Grafikkarte/Palit/1280367

5 years ago*

The RTX2060 is probably the best long term investment for a mid-range card right now.
(edit: typo)

5 years ago*

The RTX2060 is 60€ too expensive and has only 6 GB of RAM. That's why I said it's no option. But sure, for more money you almost always get something better.

5 years ago

Because of only 6GB Vram and because of how RTX and DLSS works right now in only a few games that use it and because we can't predict the future RTX 2060 is not a good investment.

5 years ago

I was thinking if I upgrade my PC I might buy RTX 2060 but after reading all this stuff about only 6GB Vram, I'm not sure anymore.
Is RTX 2070 any good then? or is it too risky to buy any RTX card because it's new technology?

5 years ago

The RTX 2070 is 140€ more expensive (comparing the cheapest model each) - I'm having trouble justifying such a price difference compared to the gain in performance when the cheapest RTX 2070 is currently 475€.

5 years ago

I was thinking about buying RTX 2060 myself because I wanted to upgrade from GTX 970 but in the end I picked RX Vega 56 for the same price that RTX 2060 is. Right now RX Vega 56 vs RTX 2060 is +/-5% FPS (2-5 FPS) but you get 8GB Vram not 6GB Vram and that Vram have better memory bus so in the end it is faster than 2060 Vram. And also there was a promo so instead of getting RTX 2060 with 1 of 2 games I don't want (Anthem or Battlefield V) I got RX Vega 56 with 3 games (2 that I want and 1 that maybe will be fun - RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2 + Devil May Cry 5 + The Division 2).

We CAN'T predict the future so maybe in the future RTX and DLSS will be used in all games and will be worth it but right now RTX takes too much FPS and DLSS makes everything look worse.

I prefer to pay for things that I KNOW I will need and use in the future (more Vram) than to pay for something I don't know I will ever use. People who buy RTX now are paying too much for new technology that we don't know if it will be used in next years or if it will just die. They pay more than the technology is worth and they pay to be beta-testers of that technology.

Next time I will buy new graphic card it will be probably 2023 and I will build new PC and at that time we will know if you need RTX and DLSS for gaming and if RTX will be able to trace 3 or more different light sources or still only 1 like now that makes it only good in small closed rooms. And if DLSS will still make things blurry just to compensate for RTX FPS drop or will it be a good AA in future.

The future will tell if we will get better lighting + better graphics. Right now you get better lighting in small rooms with 1 light source and worse lighting for open areas or places with more than 1 light source and lower FPS in game plus you get worse graphic because everything is more blurry because of DLSS that tries to hide the amount of FPS you lose because of RTX and it looks like it is uploading the lower texture and masking it as a higher texture.

This shows why RTX is good in small rooms and bad everywhere else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQI99qpZwD4&t=94s

This shows why DLSS right now is pointless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOGA2_GETQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bg-wWV3o4

5 years ago*

I've bought Sapphire RX 580 Pulse in December.
It is not 1440p/60Hz card but It can be, but for how long I cant tell you. Thanks to FreeSync I'm playing at 1080p/75Hz The Division and Shadow Warrior 2. I would guess it can pull it higher, but that are my monitor specs. I'm expecting that I will be able to play for next 4-5 years at current specs with medium to high presets easy.

From what I've read during my PC build period, GTX 1070 is surly 1440p/60Hz card, and it should hold up for next 4-5 years with excellent presets. As for concrete model (Zotec Mini) really cant tell you anything.

5 years ago

Thank you for your comment!

5 years ago

This is a small comparison:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2298?vs=2147

and my question is where did you find those prices?

5 years ago

Thanks for the URL.
A German price comparison page. Nothing of interest to you unless you want to pay crazy high shipping prices to Greece, I guess (if they'd even ship outside the country).

5 years ago

If you're thinking of doing VR in the -near- future then you probably want to buy the best card you can afford. But you may also have to consider a PSU upgrade as well as depending on the 550w you have you may not have all of the required PCIE connectors you need to power it. If its a semi-modern power supply (built within the last 5-6 years from a respected brand, then you should have the 1x 8pin + 1x 6pin, or the 2x 6 pin connectors you'd probably need. (Although in some cases i believe 2x8 may be needed.) It wouldnt hurt to figure out which connectors you have available before you buy to avoid any unexpected complications.

Additionally, listing the big games you like to play, and your framerate target might also help everyone to generalize what class of card you'd want to think about. Most modern high end cards can generally do 60fps at 1080p with high graphical settings. If thats your target them you're probably good no matter what you go with in that list. I cant speak to the VR experience, but generally if you are even considering VR then you want to go as high end as you can afford. Things may have changed a bit since then, but a couple years back you absolutely didnt want to skimp at all on performance if you wanted to do VR or you'd end up with something that was unplayable due to headaches from low framerates.

You can get a -very- generalized overview of a card's performance by checking how they compare to eachother here: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html I wouldnt use that site as the absolute authority on performance as one calculated number is pretty abstract and does not tell you how it performs in your favorite games, but if you use it simply for the purposes of comparing the classes of videocards with eachother in terms of performance then it can be useful.

Finally, I would probably avoid the "smaller" cards as often they have much worse cooling solutions and if you fully tax them, they can get very hot. (Less room to dissipate heat, and less fans to blow it away.) If you start to reach their thermal maximum they will throttle themselves which will result in lower performance, stuttering, and other anomalies and just give you an overall bad experience. If you live in cold climates, or have exceptionally good case cooling however this may be less of a problem, but still something to consider.

EDIT: Listing your CPU/Other hardware specs might also help people offer suggestions as it -is- possible to buy a graphics card that cant reach its maximum performance if your CPU cant keep up or if you're bottlenecked in other areas.

5 years ago*

I have the Cooler Master G550M - it has 6+2 Pin x 2 for PCIe. But good that you're mentioning it!

I'm from times where money was rare and I didn't mind playing at even 15 FPS. So, as any of the cards currently are able to run all of the games at 30fps at highest settings, that's fine in my books. As for VR... 60 fps certainly looks better as only 30 fps.

My well ventilated big tower can somewhat compensate for suboptimal cooling solutions on GPUs (opposed to packed cases). I absolutely agree though, it's something to consider.

My other hardware specs won't make a difference when it comes to the listed cards.

Many thanks for the extensive reply!

5 years ago

What about a used goods? In my country GTX 1070 goes for 220€ cheapest and at 250€ you can get good cards like Asus Strix and such. 1070Ti which I bought 2 months ago cost me 350€ but they also went for 300€ with proper coolers.

5 years ago

I don't mind used GPUs - if they're in a fine condition. In fact my last two cards were (shortly) used before I got them. Assuming I'd be able to find a (possibly much) better card within the max price - I wouldn't mind that. Though the higher the price the more I prefer something that comes with warranty.

5 years ago

I'm also in dire need of a new PC, but I'm trying to stall till Navi launches. If that doesn't happen before June, I'll probably get a GTX 1660.

5 years ago

I'm waiting for Navi for almost half a year already. Chances are the speculated July date won't happen either.

5 years ago

Only half a year? I'm almost at 1 year XD.

5 years ago

I cant understand why you cant decide. I would go for an rx 580 but only because that suits my budget better. The 580 is the slower here and the fastest is the 1070. As long as you dont mind paying the 1070's price go for it as its the fastest for sure otherwise go for the rx 580. The 30 euros difference is too much in my opinion to get the 590 which is a slight improvement of the 580.
Those cards dont have the same price range so you have to start thinking what might be the best choice.

5 years ago

Oh, I do mind the higher price... that's why I said in the first sentence of my original post that I'm not sure if the extra charge is actually justified by possible supererogation. Which is what I'm trying to figure out.

5 years ago

Then i think this can help you make your decision, after the first half there are the benchmarks with those 3 cards included
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIoyn-_m89Q
and maybe you can also check those benchmarks, skip the talking about the gtx 1660 ti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkY53pwRCc
I hope those will help you.

5 years ago

Thanks for the links.

5 years ago

I was going to recommend RX 590 due to your budget considerations after reading the comments and benchmark reviews. However, reading about your VR needs, as a consumer I feel 1070 fits your needs better. Better graphical and efficient performance also that 8GB VRAM which should perform better with the VR headset. Cheers~

5 years ago

Thanks for your comment!

5 years ago

@Eiion: Since you're german as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNBqldofA-Y

5 years ago

And brand spanking new... thanks for the link!

5 years ago

I've seen the video yesterday evening and just thought "what a lucky coincidence!" when I saw this thread... :D
You're welcome! :)

5 years ago

Did it help?

5 years ago

Meh... they both seem to be NVIDIA fanboys - not much about the AMD product range but 80% of the video about why the 1660Ti is not a good deal.

5 years ago

what about gtx 1660?

5 years ago

As mentioned in comments before: Same price as the GTX 1070 but 2 GB less RAM while being only equally fast or rather slower than the GTX 1070.)

5 years ago

wait a couple of weeks and its gonna be cheaper + gddr6 > gddr5

5 years ago

Wait for what graphics chip?

5 years ago

i would wait a month for 1660Ti to be normalized price-wisely.
but if you are in a rush, i would just pick up an rx580 4gb.

rx570 and 580 has the best cost/performance ratio at the moment.

5 years ago

Thanks for your contribution.

5 years ago

1080p -> I'd go for the 590 without thinking but it's not enough for 1440p, so... 1070 is your only choice but... I don't know, if you don't need a new gpu right now I'd wait for the next gen

5 years ago

Thanks for your opinion on the topic.

5 years ago

wait, what is zotac mini, does it mean mini 1070 graphic card?

5 years ago

Yes, Zotacs "mini" version of the GTX 1070 - it has "Mini" in its name.

5 years ago

okay, what does the "mini" stand for? the size or even the performance
i just browse the mini and its more expensive than the normal one, wow

5 years ago

better buy a GTX 1660 Ti or a Vega 56

5 years ago

No to both - please check some of my other comments regarding both of these cards.

5 years ago

I own an rx 580 right now, I got it for 150$ and it rocks on my shitty resolution. But I would suggest you getting 1070 if you want to use for a couple of years, it's not much difference between 590 and 1070 but I imagine 1070 will perform better on your resolution and in future games. My advice is, only buy amd when it's at least 50 percent cheaper than its counterpart at nvidia, because that's what amd does best, buget gaming.

5 years ago*

50% is quite a big gap.

5 years ago

It is but would you really sacrifice 10-20 fps for 20% difference in price? The 10 fps matters a lot when a game struggles to reach 60fps. But also to be fair I don't know the difference in performance between a regular 1070 and 1070 mini (if there is any) so take my advice with a grain of salt

5 years ago*

If 20% would end up being 60€, then yes, I guess.
Ideally it should be the same - the mini refers only to the cards size. Though throttling might set in sooner under full load than with really large cards du to relatively less effective cooling.

5 years ago

Well then you have your answer I guess, have fun gaming!

5 years ago

Thanks - you too!

5 years ago

I think OP you're putting too much importance on VRAM. As it has been shown over here 6GB is enough for todays games.

And over here you can see that the freshly released GTX1660ti is on par with the GTX1070. In my country the GTX1070 is more expensive so it's a no brainer for me. Also keep in my mind the GTX1660ti can benefit even more from new driver release as it was tested with early drivers. With Nvidia it's often the case that you get better perf after a few drivers release.

For 1440p i personally would only consider 1660ti, Vega56 or RTX2060. RX580 if i had to play on 1080p and not planning to upgrade. Just my 2cents.

5 years ago

Thanks for your input.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

if you want a card for price/power then i would go with the rx580 and i dont know if its till active but there was a amd game bundle where you could chose to games that you get with the card i picked resident evil 2 remake and the divison 2 so that means for both game -30 per game from the price it has 8gb vram and amd supports dx12 better than nvidia saw sow benchmarks and amd had 20 fps more when they changed from dx11 to dx 12

5 years ago

Thank you for your comment.

5 years ago

i think is better you wait soon nvidia release new card they are same RTX but without raytracing\dlss features so is an RTX performance but at less price .

also is you sure you want buy a new gpu? try also beta of geforce now if u have high speed internet is cloud services streaming make u can play max gfx without hardwares (and for now is free.) but this is only for single player games,if u want play multiplayers or competitive vs other players ok you need hardware.

edit:
Can happen nvidia release new rtx without rtx and same performance but less price
or
can happen nvidia release new rtx without rtx and + performance at same price
But both would be better than buy rtx now , because raytracing and dlss is nothin so much special that is worth the price it's just marketing features.

5 years ago*

Well, we don't know what's going to happen when and how much it will be. Knowing NVIDIA they'll charge a premium price for whatever they will come out with.

5 years ago

Yes you totally right about this,and i also think that would be NOT a good deal at that time when is priced because with that money (if expensive) just save it and get local hw is better BUT until then if can use the service for FREE is a better deal than lose money on hardware expensive 300€ that probabily in the next 3 months will be already obsolete ;)
Because if they activate the service to you for free in beta,you can save 300€ and play all games SP max graphic , then the next 5months when new 300€ card + performance or 200€ card cheaper will come you get it ;) but until then u save money ;)
Me too is in the same your "boat" i have a 750ti and want get a new gpu too,(i'm poor can't pay more money) BUT i think get an RTX now is not a good deal,because they are fake\lie marketing product about the Raytracing and DLSS (but there is less than 80% of today games use it) i think is a better idea to wait a gpu that add PERFORMANCE instead of marketing lies ;) and i think not only intel and amd will try to do it but also nvidia selph will go to rease cards based on the new architecture of RTX but without the rtx\dlss features so then they will low the price and or will add + performance...
I think in the next 5 months they will launch new card this.

5 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.