I'm looking into getting a new graphics card... and I'm not sure if the extra charge is actually justified by possible supererogation.

Prices at which I could get cards (the specific cards are just examples):
RX 580 ca. 200€ (Sapphire Pulse)
RX 590 ca. 230€ (XFX Fatboy)
GTX 1070 ca. 290€ (Zotac Mini it's on discount every now and then)

Im using 2560 x 1440 resolution and the graphics card should be in use for the next several years. It also should be able to handle VR well enough as I might be getting a VR headset at some point - windows mixed reality, for watching movies and somewhat "light" gaming - that it should also be able to feed. The latter of which is why I didn't consider the RTX2060 since that only has 6GB of RAM... and it's even more expensive than the GTX 1070.

Please refrain from fanboyism either for AMD or NVIDIA - since money is a limiting factor I'll have to look what's the best deal for me.
I'm posting here, hoping and looking for your input on what you think in regards of the more expensive cards being worth the cost or not.

EDIT: For all the people voting (especially for the GTX 1070) - could you please leave a short comment why you picked the one you've picked?

Thanks for contributing:
1 2 3 4 5

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Best choice of graphics card considering their (listed) prices

View Results
RX 580
RX 590
GTX 1070

You should consider GTX 1660Ti.

It performs as well as a GTX 1070 or even 1070Ti, and it only costs $280.

5 years ago

Your prices don't match the prices over here. Please check the other comments regarding the 1660Ti. Thanks for you comment.

5 years ago

What are you using right now?

I would wait a bit, prices are going down still, and none of those cards you mention are very future proof beyond a couple years.

Otherwise, get the cheapest you can get that does what you need for now and upgrade that in another year or two (and resell the old gpu).

Honestly I am not sure why you think 6Gb vram is much different than 8Gb, don't get too hung up on those numbers when clock speed and bandwidth throughput are arguably more important.

You should get 2+ years of good performance with any of those 3 cards you mentioned. A GTX 1060 (6 GB) is still a solid card and can be found cheap under $200, and it benchmarks very closely to the RX 580 (8 GB) which can be found for around $150 if you are patient. The new 1660 Ti will only get cheaper as well, with updated technology (like GDDR6 and turing architecture) it is already benchmarking roughly the same as a GTX 1070 and this is before driver tweaks.

Long story short:
If you want something to last 3+ years, you will need to pay $400 or even more.
If you just want a stopgap before buying another card in 2-3 years, then just go with whatever is cheapest because they are all good.

5 years ago

I'm on the CPUs GPU. So no dedicated GPU at all. I do have an R9 270X though.
Well, that's the problem - you can always wait and get something better eventually; or pay more for something better.
Thanks for your input regarding the decision.

5 years ago

tbh I'd probably go for the 2060 despite it having only 6GB VRAM,it won't be an issue for 1440p you'd still get better perf on a 1660Ti or a RTX 2060,if u can find ones at around the same or lower price than the 1070,then go for it

5 years ago

They all are more expensive.

5 years ago

then clearly the 1070 should be your choice

5 years ago

It seems to be, yes. We'll see.

5 years ago

My RX 580 has a little coil noise so I can't recommend that card.

5 years ago

Ok

5 years ago

I'd suggest getting the new 1660 ti.

1070 is good choice I guess, depends on how you want to play games, look at benchmarks and find what you are looking for. Personally I bought the 1060 because I plan to play on 1080p only so I don't need more power. If you want VR you need to get the highest possible end card. If you want 1440p you have to get 1070 at least.

Also I go for the EVGA cards, they are cheaper here and perform really good.

5 years ago*

Thanks for your input.

5 years ago

Myself i am currently gaming on a 1070 ti from gigabyte, i have a occulus rift and many games there and some vr games on steam. I never had problems with the card and it covered my expectations more than enough , till today i play games on high or ultra settings with no problems at 60 fps but on 1080p dunno how the card performs on bigger resolution, I know i can use the card for a couple more years without any problems and even more after that we will see how it goes . Btw you said 1070 and not 1070ti not sure but i think 1070 is much weaker than 1070ti.
General advice if you go for 1070 search the manufacturer when i did my search i found out that depending if its asus or gigabyte etc they dont all work with the same quality, some of them if i recall correct overheat and make noise, mine dont
Also in general VR gaming its still expensive a set will take you back at best 800 euros and the games that are good and not just glorified apps are around 60 euros each and they dont get nice disquounts at sales , also since i have a big collection unless you like exploration games or shooters and some with swords and stuff dont expect much yet , the better it looks the more limitations it has ( for example doom looks amazing but the movement is done with teleporting by slowing the action, while others that have free movement are not looking too well)
i am an early adaptor of vr but trust me i dont use it as much as i thought i would and if money is tight , get a card that would help you game better normally rather than vr . Anyway hope i helped

5 years ago

Yep, known issues with overheating and noise is always something that I check for before buying.
As I've mentioned I would go for Windows Mixed Reality - so at least hardware wise that's much cheaper than Oculus or Vive.
Thanks for your thoughts on the topic.

5 years ago

considering you're open to buy second hand: https://tweakers.net/categorie/49/videokaarten/aanbod/
It's a Dutch site but most of the the sellers do ship internationally(i'm living in Belgium and bought a Vega 56 there a few months ago).
If you need a translation feel free to comment here and i'll try to help you.

5 years ago

Thanks.

5 years ago

Hey. How do you buy here?
Looks like payment first then he ships it to you. Maybe.

5 years ago

For all the people voting (especially for the GTX 1070)

Nvidia fanboys lol xD you can basically discount more than half of nv votes due to popularity alone, just like JunkG is the real deserving steam GOTY lmao.
Let's just say polls are not a good way to decide what to buy.

Long-term AMD is the better choice as their performance goes up over time and they pull ahead of comparable nv cards, mostly due to better support of future tech (like DX12) and NV aggressively dropping support for older cards, even as far as gimping them by introducing new software/rendering (like Hairworks) and bribing devs to use it, which then only runs well on their newest line.

I bought an RX-480 8gb 2 years ago for 280€ before the prices exploded, very solid card.
Just tested yesterday: Apex Legends on the training map I get 75 FPS on high and 125 FPS on low (though the rest of my rig is already 9 years old, so the numbers can be higher with a better CPU) Also that game can already take use of 8GB VRAM, so don't let yourself get persuaded that ram size is not relevant.

But the question of what to buy is actually already decided by your monitor:
Does it support freesync or gsync?
Depending on that it is already set which you need to choose. In the end if you get 47 FPS or 54 does not matter, both look equally bad (stuttery), using the *sync solves that issue.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that, as it is the single most important factor in your case.

computerbase.de has following recommendations

Preisklasse Empfehlung Grafikkarte Empfehlung Modell
bis 150 Euro AMD Radeon RX 570 Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Nitro+
151 – 200 Euro AMD Radeon RX 580 PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2
201 – 300 Euro AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Asrock Radeon RX Vega 56 Phantom Gaming X
oder Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XLR8 OC

Looks like the RX 580 card can be bought for 185€, so that would be the 'Preis-Tipp' ;-)

5 years ago

That's some interesting aspects on the topic.
My monitor supports neither gsync nor freesync.
What's "JunkG"?

5 years ago

PUBG

5 years ago

Ah, ok. Thanks.

5 years ago

RTX 2060 is a valid option here too. Better performance and no real need for over 6GB of VRAM for the GPU you're buying. It's like having 6GB VRAM for a GT640 or something.

5 years ago

It's not an option because of it's price.

5 years ago

Same price as a 1070. Some are even cheaper. 399 (1070) vs 379 (2060). Though, some sales might pop up for both. But the 1070 isn't in the same position as the 1060, so don't expect huge price reductions. It's still popular.

5 years ago

Not over here. Please read my original post for prices.

5 years ago

So you're not from Germany? I looked at Amazon DE for quick pricing. I also ordered my parts mainly from Germany, so Caseking and Mindfactory weren't much better either.

5 years ago

Amazon DE is the worst place to look for pricing. Use price comparison sites (e.g. https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich) to find cheapest prices. The mentioned price for the 1070 is a somewhat regular on Mindfactory Mindstar and Mediamarkt/Saturn.

Current best offers for these cards:
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Mini, ab € 289, [DE] Saturn.de
Gainward GeForce RTX 2060 Pegasus, ab € 339,01, [DE] Mindfactory

5 years ago*

Reconsider buying second hand GPU for RX 580 8GB you can only need 145€ in buy now on ebay or lower in auction I personally Grab mine for 110£

5 years ago

I am open to second hand cards - used them before and wouldn't mind buying one again.

5 years ago

Have you considered an RX 570? I just upgraded from a 4 GB 470 to an 8 GB 580, and honestly the difference is pretty minimal - in general the 470 ran games at 1080p at high or above without any problem. I really only upgraded to get the extra 4 gigs of RAM and the free games. You could get an 8 GB 570 pretty much dirt cheap and probably not miss the small gain a 580 would net you.

5 years ago

You're update wasn't a a good one though, so I'm not surprised by your results. I'm upgrading from the CPUs HD Graphics 530 and my formerly used R9 270X, so that's completely different worlds. Either way, the RX 570 is not an option (see original post for why).

5 years ago

Not surprised about the poll, even if it is wrong.
Comperatively, in price/performenace, the only two Nvidia cards that are not overpriced and should be considered for budget gaming are the GTX 1060 6GB edition and the newly released GTX 1660 Ti.
However, the RX 580 firmly sits on top of that hill currently, with the 590 not that far behind. AMD is supposedly dropping their price by 20 bucks in the US, usually means maybe 10-15 Euro less over here.

Nvidia needs lower power, so if you have a small PSU, it is more or less the default option.
Heat-wise, they are the same.
Driver-wise, both companies are bad for different reasons. AMD driver updates really love to just remove all your presets and saved preferences, so you can re-set everything. Nvidia ones love to randomly break any game older than 6 months unless it is some MOBA.

As for longevity, none are faring too good now. The RX 500 line is using an aging architecture, but the new Vega cards do not really impress that much, especially for their price.
The new Nvidia RTX line offers some really nice goodies for content creators/media workers (their hardware NVenc video encoder is only a small heap of stinking dogshit compared to CPU-bound x.264 or x.265, but a few years ago it was a massive pile of useless crap; it is almost recommended now for low-end CPU owner streamers), but ray tracing is laughably unworking currently, it is a gimmick very few people actually use. It will take quite some time until it is feasible, but that also means buying RTX is pointless.
However, without ray tracing cores, the non-RTX 1660 is still nothing more than a 1070 with higher clock speeds and some added CUDA cores—so, again, an aging architecture rehashed for the umpteenth time, like with AMD (who are more or less selling the HD 7000 line rebranded as R-series for half a decade now, just with better clock speeds each time around).

If you are an Nvidia groupie, the 1660 is a surprisingly sensitive choice for gaming in the 1080p to 1440p range, and wallet-friendly in the mid-run. Otherwise, if your PSU can take it, the RX 580 or 590 (depends on the local price difference, for me, it was 3%) should be a good pick.
In both cases, unless both companies fuck up royally, you most likely will have to replace either in around 3 years tops, so might as well for pure price/performance numbers: RX 580/590.

5 years ago*

can agree with you

5 years ago

Thanks for your differentiated view on the topic! I agree with about everything you said.

I've checked regarding my PSU using the be quiet calculator and it seems that my 550W PSU would be able to run even the Vega 56 well -opposed to what I originally thought. So if I can snatch one of these for a good price, I might do that.
Otherwise it currently seems like I will wait for another 3-4 months to see whats happening with AMD's new Navi cores.

5 years ago

550W is even enough for a Vega 64, unless it is some low-tier one. 550 Watts are enough for almost any single-GPU system. AMD cards are usually tighter, and they had actual double-chip cards that acted as if you had two of them in the system, but they stopped that nonsense a while back.

5 years ago

rx570 :)

5 years ago

Yeah... no.

5 years ago

If you can get the GTX 1070 for ~50€ away from the price of the RX 590, I would recommend for it. Thus my vote.
If you're not able to, go for the RX 590 instead. It's still a good card.

5 years ago

Thank you for contributing.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.