So it's the end of October and November is near, so that means the end of 2023 is (finally) upon us.

So, since there's very few new games coming out now (and it's on my mind now), I thought I'd see what your best games you played this year were.

Now keep in mind, these games do NOT have to have been released in 2023 nor do they have to have been even purchased or won in 2023.

Mine have to be-
Elden Ring
My Time at Sandrock (FINALLY leaving EA on November 2!)
Salt and Sanctuary
Coromon
Edit- I forgot to add in A Jugglers Tale. What a short yet beautiful game that was.
I know it's a hair early and I promise to add in a GA after I get home from work. But please, have at it.

6 months ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

BG3. ❤

Edit: hmm... gameS... Dragon Quest 11 was awesome too. 🙂
Wasteland 3 also very nice. (started playing 22 and finished 23)

6 months ago*

I have to second BG3.
Playing it on gog with friends online :D

6 months ago

Let's see, for me it'd have to be (in no particular order):
Mafia DE
Forza Horizon
Watch Dogs 2
RDR2

6 months ago

Clannad
watch_dogs 1 (underrated gem)
Beamng (stupidly fun and chaotic)

6 months ago

WD1 great game indeed!

6 months ago

+1 WD1 what an abolute gem !

6 months ago

I'm guessing you mean new ones, instead of something I'd already played before? Well here goes then (keep in mind, not everything is from steam) -

Cyberpunk 2077
Dead Space (2023)
HiFi Rush
Sniper Elite 5
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition
Vampire Survivors
Yakuza Kiwami

These are definitely the top of my list. There're quite a few more just below them, but none of them are something I'd feel comfortable in putting them in the 'best games I've played this year' category.

6 months ago

While I don't particularly fancy roguelikes, my top two picks this year would be:

1. Hades - it's a masterpiece and probably one of the best games I've played, like, ever. Top-notch experience all around.
  2. Everspace - I first played it few years back and absolutely hated it. I thought that the roguelike system is what ruins the game, the controls were weird and I could never hit anything. After getting a Steam Deck I've decided to give it another go and my opinion of this game made a U-turn. I still think that roguelikeness does not give this game a space (pun intended) to breath, which, from what I heard, was corrected with its sequel. But great experience nonetheless.

The other 3 games I've actually played before, and liked, but decided to do another playthrough - and all are still one of the best games ever:

1. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
  2. SOMA
  3. GRIS

And one last would be Syberia - The World Before. While the game lacks any kind of technical polish and runs quite poorly - wow, what an experience that was. This is while I hated Syberia 3 and did not really like the first 2 games

6 months ago

Dredge
Dave the Diver
Vampire Survivors

6 months ago

Although there are actually a lot of games scheduled to release in November and December, I can't imagine any will be as good as Baldur's Gate 3, so that's my GOTY. It'll probably be my GOTY next year as well after I play through it a couple more times.

I did playthrough NG+ in the Last of Us II this year as well, so that's my runner up.

Honorable mentions: A Plague Tale: Requiem; Dredge; The Corridor; Baldur's Gate II

6 months ago

Disco Elysium

6 months ago

Hades.
Unavowed
Hitman 3

6 months ago

Back 4 Blood
Deathloop
9 Parchments
Gotham Knights

6 months ago

Top 5, in no particular order:

Doom Eternal
Quantum Break
Livelock
Zombie Army Trilogy
Norco

6 months ago

Top 5, from most recent play:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (ongoing)
A Plague Tale: Innocence (Aug)
Outer Wilds (Jul)
The Last of Us Part I (Jun)
Superliminal (Jan)

6 months ago

Lies of P
Stardew Valley
Tinykin
Coromon
Tunic

6 months ago

Elden Ring
Last of Us part 1
SIMULACRA

6 months ago

Diablo 2(resurrected... with some mods(randomizers or remodded this year, median xl and project diablo 2 for previous years and no resurrected)
Legend of Zelda... Ocarina of Time... randomizers

now for games on steam uh....

6 months ago

RDR2 - 90 hours in and like in the middle of single player, its masterpiece
Yakuza Kiwami 2 - slowly getting through series and that one not disappointed
Days Gone - probably best zombie game i played

6 months ago

Couldn't agree more about RDR2. The game can indeed be described with a single word. Masterpiece.
If you intend to go through the yakuza series brace yourself a bit. After 0,K1 and K2 the remastered 3 will be kinda weird since it's old and the fighting is rivals blocking almost everything(at least in high difficulty). If you go through it though 4,5 and 6 will worth your time(imo).
Days gone was really good as well and taking out hordes was really fun.

6 months ago

Definitely best Rockstar game for me and best open world that i ever played.
Yeah, i heard that about Y3, since its just remaster and not remake like Kiwami. I play on normal usually so i hope it won`t be a problem.

6 months ago

Here is my take!

Out of 70 beaten games this year I can make the following top:

1. Metro Exodus
  2. Titanfall® 2
  3. Batman Arkham City
  4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  5. Rayman Origins

Yap, a bunch of old games... But they were best for me :)

And honorable mention (as these games can't compete with the listed above but still worth mentioning as I really enjoyed playing them and both were very interesting gaming experiences for me):

6 months ago

Rayman Orgins: From 25 January 2024: Online features will no longer be available for this product.

Were those features important in your experience?

6 months ago

They weren't. I was playing solo and in no way used any type of online features... I also believe that only Switch version has online co-op, for PC version there is only local co-op.

6 months ago

The Steam page claims Remote Play Together.
I don't get why that would end, though.

6 months ago

I think online servers are mostly used by Wiii/Switch (and maybe by the Xbox as well) version for any type of online activity. Remote Play Together (if I understand how it works correctly) is a Steam based feature that doesn't rely on third party servers/services. So I think it should work even after Ubisoft will kill their own servers. All of said is just a guess as I never touched the online with Ryman games :) I even not sure that Origins have any online functionality to be honest :D

6 months ago

These are the daily and weekly leaderboards, where there were 4 different levels you would compete with others for the best scores/ times. It was different challenges each time, like complete the level the quickest, survive the longest, get the most points. Then you'd get awarded the in-game currency based on your position. Fun to a degree, but kind of ruined by cheaters (as all things online). It wasn't necessary to the game unless you really wanted to unlock the final cosmetic which cost 1 million, in which case the challenges were a good way to farm it.
The online features weren't needed for co-op play which is local co-op or 'remote play together' on steam, which is basically just a layer that lets you use the local co-op features online.

6 months ago

Ah, leaderboards, thanks for the info.

6 months ago

Baldur's Gate 3 (Coop)
Persona 5 Royal
Casette Beasts
The Last Sovereign
Sun Haven
Chrono Ark
Yakuza Like a Dragon

6 months ago

6 months ago

Batman: Arkham City
Dead Space (2023)
Inscryption
Risk of Rain 2
Slay the Spire

^Probably my top 5 :)

6 months ago

Hrot

6 months ago

these are my top 5 games (not in particular order) that i start played this year :)
Everhood
Undertale
Hades
Hollow Knight
Mafia: Definitive Edition

6 months ago

Excluding replaying old favourites, these were my favourite new ones this year:

• Remnant: From the Ashes (I had to uninstall it to stop playing >_<)
  • Dread Templar
  • Boneraiser Minions
6 months ago

Played a few good ones this year:
Age of Empires IV - The campaigns were great, some of the best RTS campaigns I've played in a long time.
Age of Empires II - A classic. I still have a bunch of campaigns left to beat, and so I'll probably be playing this next year as well. One of the best RTS games ever made.
Total War Warhammer III - Sure it's still more buggy than I would have liked, but it's a genuinely great grand strategy game with a stupid amount of content if you also own the first two games, and even if you don't, there's a lot of stuff in here.
Metroid Dread - I've been a fan of the Metroid series since the first one, and this might well be a contender for "best game in the series". Can't decide between this and Super Metroid.

6 months ago

I grew up on AoE and it makes me happy to see people still enjoying the game(s) in current times. I wasn't deep into the original but I remember my dad bringing me to a few LAN events for it and I would occasionally watch him play. AoE2 on the other hand was my summer break addiction for many years. Pokemon, AoE, and Runescape were my childhood haha.

6 months ago

AoE 1 came out around the time when I discovered how fun RTSs were, so I grew up with this series as well. I don't think AoE 1 has aged super well, but 2 still holds up, and AoE 2 DE is an amazing remaster

6 months ago

I agree. It's nice seeing AoE2 receive a bit of modernization and a fair bit of new content too. I hope to get around to said content someday.

6 months ago

6 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.