I'm not sure if I can give links for this, but I saw it on GG.deals' freebie page.

There was a similar event two years ago: https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/Qhx0z/free-to-play-for-a-limited-time-star-citizen

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you have experience playing Star Citizen?

View Results
Yes, I have over 500 hours and I recommend it highly.
No, I have over 500 hours and I can't stand it.
I've tried it and recommend it.
I've tried it and don't recommend it.
I'll try it during this event.
It's just not my kind of thing.

Star Citizen is still around?

1 year ago

This scam is still around? xD
I tried it a few years ago, might even have been the other free event mentioned in the OP. There was literally nothing to do. It felt like a proof of concept, not even like an Alpha, although it is in development for an eternity.
Utter crap.

1 year ago

Hmmmrm. It appears I overlooked "still around?" when I made the poll.

1 year ago

You're also missing an option "No, but it's my kind of thing"

1 year ago

I assumed that crowd would be covered by "I'll try it during this event."
Color me wrong, I guess.

1 year ago

I don't have the energy or time to try it. But I guess you could argue that it's not my kind of thing then, at least not right now.

1 year ago

Please, also add "its a scam"

1 year ago

Unfortunately, there's no Edit on a poll.

1 year ago

T_T

1 year ago

This scam lasted longer than FTX.

1 year ago

No thanks, i have integrity.

1 year ago

i have been waiting this game for about 6+ years (since first kickstarter)...and then i realize that will need more than 10 more to be completed...so i discontinued this game xD

1 year ago

I'm fascinated by its (kind of) existence, but prefer to observe from a distance.

1 year ago

this

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago*

You know.... usually free weekends coincide with a discount to purchase at the same time.... but I don't see any reference to a discount.

1 year ago

I think I got the game (or just one part of the game?) for free. Maybe for buying a new video card? That sounds right. Never tried it, though. It's interesting but I'd prefer to wait until it's more playable.

1 year ago

I tried last time, and... Its like the free ship i was suppose to have to try, wasn't there.. (i was supposing it was because i already tried the game for free a few years before so they decided i shouldn't receive anything)
So i won't bother with it this time

1 year ago

The person in charge of this years-long scam is living proof that cheaters prosper and crime does in fact pay.

1 year ago

If they come to Steam, I may try it. Otherwise, just fxxxk & pxxxsss OFF!!! No offence. 👎🤣

1 year ago

Honestly, it's one of the best and worst space sims I've ever played. So I recommend it, only if you're content waiting 2-5 more years before it's truly worth playing (assuming it doesn't fall apart). It has the best, most natural feeling flight mechanics I've encountered in a space sim in awhile, the fps combat is done well, bounty hunting, cargo hauling, delivery, etc etc are all decent systems being upgraded over time, the list of good things can pile up, but I don't want to write that much, and then there is the negative side of the game...

There simply is not enough content overall right now, and what there is, is contained within a single solar system. They're continuing an ongoing effort to get server meshing and icache up and running to finally be able to push forward on tons of promises, but who knows how long that'll take. In the meantime servers are pretty trash, from desync to getting booted completely, making playing with friends a nightmare. AI is broken half the time, there are still countless bugs, again, like the good side, the bad things can pile up.

It's a game that does what it does better than anyone, but it's really not a game right now, more of a tech demo. It has the potential to be the most amazing space sim to immerse us and suck up all our time, but it could also crash and burn a complete failure. Me, I just keep hope it'll turn out. People are still consistently making purchases, increasing funding for further development, and I just hope everyone gets what they paid for at some point.

1 year ago

the best scam in the video game lol

1 year ago

ive owned this game since alpha cuz it came with my graphics card like 8 years ago, and i still havent played it lol

1 year ago

I'll try it (Something 42) when it's done.
Still rolling to that 2016 release date.

1 year ago

You have to sell your house, your car, your wife and kids to stay relevant and buy new ships in this game.
Biggest scam in videogame history.

1 year ago

You really only need to spend $45 for a starter ship, then can buy the rest in game with money earned in game. At first it may seem hard, but once you learn how to mine, or do bounties proper, etc etc. The money starts rolling in. There are a lot of bad things you can say about the game, but it's in no way pay to win.

1 year ago

Any benefit, regardless how small or irrelevant, is still pay to win. You can agree to disagree, but you are the one picking and choosing in regards to the pay to win definition.

1 year ago

Pay to win to me is giving an unfair advantage. I can say with certainty from actually playing the game, buying a $200+ ship over a $45 ship, will maybe boost your progress in the game by a few hours of play at most, and that's assuming you buy very specific ships, for very specific playstyles.

One of the most lucrative money makers in game is bounty hunting, and you can do fairly well even with the lowest tier ships if you're a decent pilot. In addition to the fact the missions take place in asteroid fields for the most part, the smaller cheap ships are often the best option anyway to avoid blowing yourself up. Plus, you need to rank up for more dangerous, high paying bounties, which you'll make money for new, better ships and/or components in the process.

Alternatively there is mining, ground or space, both of which you can earn enough money in a day using starter ships, to be able to afford what you need for mining.

Perhaps down the line, when the game is more finished, and with enough balance changes, perhaps then it may be pay to win, who knows, but as of this moment, you can go in with a $45 ship, and buy up a fleet of $100 - $400 ships in no time if you know what you're doing.

1 year ago

I like how the poll ranges from "I've tried it" right to "I have over 500 hours" implying under 500 hours of play time is considered "trying" it. :P

1 year ago

The "500 hours" was supposed to be hyperbole, really. It was meant to be the "I've invested significant time" option.

Sensualshakti's polls always demonstrate wit. I was demonstrating halfwit.

1 year ago

Oh yeah, I get it. I found it amusing, though. :D

1 year ago

Quoting Leon S. Kennedy:
"No thanks bro!"

1 year ago

Played it yesterday and already uninstalled it. This is the worst new player experience I had in years...

1 year ago

I essentially prepurchased this by buying a low-end tier after the kickstarter. A certain ship that tickled me, and acess to both the singleplayer campaign stuff and the online world. And then of course I realised after this that if you wanted to actually test-fly anything, you couldn't do it unless you purchased access to the 'arena' thing. And then they released a seperate racing mode which you had to pay for. And pay-for skins to support them. Skins that did not yet exist except as a store entry and a name, and nothing else.

Yeah. Not to mention walking around the station was laggy as hell, and when they eventually added a tutorial so you even knew how to interact with the environment / menus, that lagged so hard that it choked to a complete freeze. At that point I gave up. Having to wait for a 'free fly' weekend just to sample the tutorial or open vs-AI arena of the game I prepurchased, and then download a 100gb each time (on what back then was a connection that could usually only hit 800kbps). Not the greatest :P

All of this could be shrugged off as just wonky modern gamedev stuff, if not for the fact they are selling in-game resources for real world money on an unfinished product, in the name of "supporting" the development... but then holding conventions for the unreleased game? Everything points to their business model being about milking cash-cows first and foremost, with the release of the full product being a very distant secondary objective. After all, if they hit full release then they lose a major hype point in speculative buying.

1 year ago

i just want a release date for squadron 42

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.