Update 22nd January

Our "mini" event was a success. Despite the new Steam Gifting policy and a smaller duration than usual, we've had 874 giveaways and about 900 gifts sent. We also had a "consolation" round where we gifted the three unluckiest of us a game from their wishlist.

Created 3rd December

Hello again community!
Some of you may already know what this thread is for, so if you do please skip the introduction part, but read the rest: Due to the new Steam Gifting policy and my lack of time we had been hibernating for a year, but here we are again. Since we are a bit late on schedule (recruitment should have started about 2 weeks ago), this can be considered a "mini" event, which will be a test to see if we can also handle the new Steam gifting policy.

Group Introduction

First of all you should know that this is not a new group, it was first created during Christmas 2012 and since then we've had nine successful events (we skipped Summer 2017):

The group's stats page can give you a glimpse of that success.

So it is obvious by the repetition pattern, that we operate close and during big Steam Sales. The goal of this group is to gather a certain amount of members that will create unique quality giveaways and share them with the rest. The tricky part is that ALL of those giveaways will end at exactly the same time, regardless of the time zone.

For that to work there are some rules to follow:

• Members must comply to SteamGifts rules.
  • Every member must create at least one giveaway that fulfills as "primary" (explained below).
  • Primary giveaways must not be bundled or exploited games and should at least get 1/5 of the group size in entries. They should also have no contribution requirement.
  • Created giveaways must end at a specific time and date and for this event it is on 1st of January 2017 16:00 UTC. Giveaways should be created and valid at least 48 hours before that time.
  • There should be no giveaways for the same game (so that people can't win the same game twiceto keep a diversity of games, but multiple copies are ok).
  • All giveaways must be region free.

It's simpler than it looks, the hardest part is for me and the mods to organize and make sure people follow the rules.

For those that need more details, you should check on the group's profile here.

Also take a look at our Group Rules in Detail and our FAQ.

How to enter the group

• You must ask for an invitation on this topic, but first read the rest of the bullets.
  • I will not reply to you in this thread nor if you are accepted or rejected. You will either get an invite, or be contacted in person by me.
  • To avoid having untrustworthy people that could ruin the event for others, there is a restriction of level 4 or higher required for me to consider your application, as well as being a member of this site for at least 3 months.
  • Even if you are eligible due to above requirements, you are not guaranteed an entry, those are just a way to avoid random invitation requests.
  • You should NOT add me on Steam to ask an invite.

What you should also know

• If you haven't read the rules don't apply for this group.
  • Like it or not, there are already people that have had a great course through our last events that will be on priority line. People I know personally and that I trust that they will fullfil the requirements of this group will be prioritized too.
  • People that have been in past events, are not automatically reinvited upon their request.
  • The maximum member cap is 50, but this could be lowered if not enough applicants meet the group's standards.
  • The invitation process is an one man's job, so be patient... (probably no invites until tomorrow)

What's the group's timeline

(read this if you get to be a member of this group)

This time around I added some Steam group calendar events (which still needs to be updated) but the general idea is as follows:

• [Cleaning group phase] All previous members are asked to leave the group. Those who fail to do so are kicked. This is done so that only those re-interested apply here and probably get reinvited.
  • [Recruitment phase I] First there is the recruitement phase where I put up a forum topic and gather applications and send out invites. Minimum duration a week.
  • [Recruitment phase II] When we reach 45 members the last 5 will be picked from a list of 20 remaining applicants by votes of those 45 members.
  • [Reservation phase I] A giveaways topic will be created were you can only reserve one giveaway you plan to make. This phase lasts for 48 hours.
  • [Reservation phase II] You are now allowed to reserve as many giveaways as you want.
  • [Giveaways creation phase] You can start creating your giveaways ending at the specified time. This phase probably overlaps with previous two.
  • [No more giveaways phase] 48 hours before the giveaways ending time, the giveaways topic will be locked and I will check if members fullfilled the rules. If needed there will be kicks (hasn't happened so far).
  • [Happy winners phase] Giveaways have ended and most of us feel happy with their wins.

Group Site

Since we started this group I've been using Steam Groups and Spreadsheet to handle the proceedings. One of our members TheTimmaeh is kind enough to trying to take us to the next level of having a site to handle our event. We do our best to have it ready for this event but nothing is certain. If we do, some of our procedures might change but the mods and I will be around to guide you. Participating in our events is considered easy regarding the procedures on your behalf, but hopefully with the new site coming up, it will be made even easier.

Few last words

Our last event had 70 members and 1870 unique giveaways (also on our new site ) (average of 27 giveaways per member, which means also an average of 27 wins per member). Two members managed to not win anything but only entered for about 1% of all the giveaways.

tl;dr

This group is not for you

6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

im interested, no exceptions on the level/acct age?

6 years ago

Sure, I could as well try to join this year...

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago

Would love to participate again! ^^

6 years ago

+TREES

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Having a baby this year, and very busy with work, so a bump will have to do for now!

6 years ago

you mean you will have a baby b4 end of December? Cause January is already next year ;p
joke aside, congrats! :>

6 years ago

Yeah. But when I say we'll be having a baby next year, it sounds so far away and odd. She's just into the second trimester now. Thanks!

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

Congrats on the baby !

6 years ago

Congrats on the bady, almost missed this!

6 years ago

Congrats on the baby. )

6 years ago

Yay, I would love to be part of this great event again!

6 years ago

No brainer. Wintermute's one of the best people on steamgifts, in my opinion.

+TREES

6 years ago

Oh, my: you make me blush, s, I don’t deserve these words.
Thanks, anyway

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

(well, thanks, but... is it possible to leave +1 at this stage of the event?)

6 years ago

it is, generally there are two options but it depends on your personal choice ;p 1st veteran members (and both fabs and Daer are vets) sometimes tend to +1 even before they get invited, as in most cases veterans gets invite anyway (unless they screwed previous event), others wait with +1 for getting invited to group in initial phase, but both are common thingies ;)

6 years ago

Absolute thanks for the clarification, z! Much appreciated!
And so for the +1 as well!

6 years ago*

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Hi Tragi!

It looks like you cleaned up the group list just before I could manage to comment. I'm psyched that you are giving this a go in spite of all the changes to Steam's gifting and cross-region policies.

Unfortunately at this time I won't be applying. I'm on somewhat of a forced break from gaming for the next couple of months, and I have plenty of good titles in my backlog that I'm wishing I could play that are on hold as a result. (Including a win from last winter's event that is finally releasing 4 days from today πŸ˜‰)

If you guys see fit to do a Summer SimGive I'll probably be in a better position to participate then.

Happy SimGiving! HUGS

6 years ago

Nooo :(
I hope you can leave the forced break asap! <3

6 years ago

Me too <3

6 years ago

Let me know how Spellforce 3 is, it looks like it will be a good one

6 years ago

Absolutely! I was going to play The Witcher 3 and follow it with Spellforce. Ugh. RL really bites some times.

6 years ago

Would like to participate! :)

6 years ago

I'm kinda curious to see you there if I manage to make it in this one.

+TREES

6 years ago

I would love to be a part of this once again if you would have me.

Due to tThe changes to gifting I will be limited to keys so my contribution might be a bit more modest this time around however.

6 years ago

+1.

6 years ago

A modest Zomby contribution would still be quite a trove of greatness. You pick some pretty neat games that I like, and I can wishlist each time.

+TREES

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

I'll join if ya have me :D.

6 years ago

+1. Gods competing with mere mortals.

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Please keep in mind that the event dates are subjected to change.We will adjust them as they get finalized. You can see them on the site in the timeline.

6 years ago

Thank you for another event,Tragikos! :3

If you'll have me I'll like a second go as the first one was fun and enjoyable! ^^

6 years ago

YES! Nothing else to say. Just YES!

+TREES

6 years ago

Thank you, Superfabs! 😊

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

It was fun last year so I'd be happy to paricipate this one too

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

I'd give it a try.

6 years ago

Although I've drastically reduced my activity on Steamgifts, I can't pass up this event, so I'd like to participate again if you'll have me! :3

6 years ago

+TREES

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

I'd like to join this time! Seems to be more difficult due to Steam's gifting policy, but living in the usually most expensive region I shouldn't have issues with gifting.

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

I'm in if you'll have me again

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

I always love the tl;dr at the bottom :D

I would like to participate again

6 years ago

Noooo! I'm kidding. Yes.

+TREES

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

You can sign me up
Giveaways will end before sale ends correct
And I have no issue gifting wallet with steams issue if there is region gifting policy issue

6 years ago

Giveaways end on New Year, sale is up until 4th January as far as I know.

6 years ago

+1 to the Big Green.

6 years ago

+TREES

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

i want a star
where i get a star

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1 for Dino!

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Woooo \o/

SimGive is back, and with a vengeance!

I'd like to be a part of it again, of course :)

6 years ago

+1.

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

"should also have no contribution requirement" but "there is a restriction of level 4 or higher required for me to consider your application"

6 years ago

There is no contradiction here - you need lelev 4 (usually higher) to get to the group, but GAs should be lvl 0 for other reasons as well. For example not to give impression it is ok to set whatever levels on them, or not to screw up qith bot gathering data about GAs for website.

6 years ago

And for other reasons some may want to set it to the min requirement of the group. Last private group I entered had min level requirements and gift requirements, except for an "admin" that did not meet the requirements, was not giving anything but was winning a bunch of games.
Not saying it is going to happen, but just that it has happened in the past and should not pose issues.

6 years ago

And what is the connection between your argument about some random group and this particular group? Because I see none - here as you can easilly see and check (as group stats page is also linked in OP) group admin is lvl 9, so way above this level 4 requirement anyway, so no matter if GAs were to be lvl 0 or 4 he would still be able to enter any of them. You can also see that he so far donated total of 77 GAs to the group, and considering that all GAs end at the same time and you can never know how much you will end up winning it's really hard to consider ratios in such event. Futhermore, if you read OP carefully you can see that the group itself has failsafe mechanism to prevent from any member, not just admin, abusing the system - all GAs are ending at the same time, but all users are checked 48h before this time, if you haven't created a GA or your GA is not valid (not non-bundle, not enough entries etc) the group has time to react and to make sure noone is able to "steal" anything. Also they have done it for many many years, with much bigger events than this "mini event" so I don't see why would they want to start stealing now... ;p

6 years ago

I am not saying that what happened in the past with a different group and with a different set of people will occure here, but pointing out how strange it is that while there is a level requirement to join that there is specifically a requirement that the giveaways be set below it. I would understand if it said the level requirement for giveaways could not be set above the min group requirement, but being made to be below seemed odd. I am not sure how it could affect a bot if the giveaways were levels 1-4 instead of 0, other than having to code it to check the level is <5 instead of =0. Nor how saying giveaways have to be level 4 or below gives a greater impression to set whatever levels they want compared to saying level 0 only.

It appears that things have changed since you wrote your reply, as currently there are multiple group admins for this group. Yes, they are both above the min requirements but there is the potential for them to invite some friends who aren't or perhaps others may be added later who could do the same. I am not saying they will, but the potential is there and can circumvent the failsafe unless each member is wanting to check seconds before the end of the giveaways for noncompliance and delete their giveaways. In that other group it was the trusted friend of the group's creator who was added to help manage, but all he did was help himself to some giveaways until the creator found out and removed him.

Currently one of this group moderators has said they'd help but would be sitting out of the actual event. Yes, they are level 10 and I highly doubt they would try to "steal" giveaways or they may have also changed their mind. But if not, that would be a violation of the rules and if I had a bot check then it would throw me a warning.

Again, I just found the requirements a bit odd. It may have just been a holdover from previous events for all I knew and would've been updated after I pointed it out. I did not follow this group and its prior events so I had no knowledge. What will prevent me from applying would be Steam's gifting policy and my lack of other funds to buy keys, though it would've probably been very doubtful my acceptance with such limited amount of members.

6 years ago

And I explained to you that there are other circumstances for not having level requirement, even if all users are above level X. For example bot, SteamAPI bugs affecting your SG level temporarly (but for a short-time event they would be horrible) etc.

SimGiv always had just one admin, tragikos, Timmy has an admin position in the group, as he is the person managing website and a bot, so he needs group admin privilages, but the only person managing the group, event and calling the shots is tragikos. Plus there's never been any member below minimum level requirement. Even has been done 9 times over 5 years, created almost 9000 GAs in this time, never ever was a single person stealing anything or rogue-inviting other members. If you still don't believe that it's fine and want to look for conspiracy theories - your choice, after all joining a group or event is a free choice, but keep consiracies to yourself cause they sound really silly when faced with actual checkable facts - 9 events, 241 members overr the years, 8827 delivered GAs, not a single problem like ones you describe, yet you will still shout "it's possible theft!!". And as for "well I didn't follow so I can not know" - you can know, but you decide not to. Everything is presented - tragi is always linking full spreadsheets for every event, group SG page is public, so all data can be confirmed with it, it's all linked in OP, you can look it up and check whatever you want if you wish to, instead you state opinions without basing them on any data, actually opposing this data, even if data is served to you directly.

6 years ago

Generally those types of SteamAPI bugs increase your level, not the other way around. Though as you say, it could happen.
Timmy still holds an admin position with admin privileges and can do admin things. I think its pretty safe to call him an admin. I wonder if the bot that he is managing has the capacity to manage the group under certain failsafe conditions... Nah, that wouldn't be right.
As for no one stealing... there was at least once when a member did not deliver their gift based on previous discussions, it is why the rules regarding preorders were modified.
I never said there were conspiracies, I genuinely thought the rules were worded strangely. Only after your reply did I mention an occurrence that happened to myself and others in a different group and suggested why others may have a problem with it. I also said I did not have a problem with them.
I never said I didn't believe, I was only saying why the supposed failsafes are not entirely failsafe.
I did not say "well I didn't follow so I can not know", I had said "I did not follow this group and its prior events so I had no knowledge". There is a world of difference between those statements, mine matches what you said "you can know, but you decide not to". I had no real desire to do a deep dive into the matter when it may have been something simple. If I did a quick dive into it then, then I would have found that the level requirement was added after the first event.
What opinions did I state that opposed available data? Calling someone an admin when they are listed as an admin? You claim they have never done any managing of the group but I do not have access to that data. Saying something could happen when it has not yet happened in the past, but could in fact happen? I did not say it was probable, but that it was possible. Again, I do not see how the bot would be affected if the levels are not set to 0 other than it is set to look specifically for level 0 giveaways and that should be easily changed.

6 years ago

SteamApi bugs work both ways - your level goes up when API reports wrong prices, but there are other bugs when API reports no price at all. The biggest bug like this happened few years ago, when SteamAPI stopped reporting price for over half of Steam games, and it caused all these games to cost 0P on SG for over 2 weeks. Now imagine something like this in event that lasts only 3 weeks - vast majority of group would have level dropped, before API stops bugging eventr is already over.

But ebough of this, I presented you with countless evidsences, you turn blind eye, you know better, your choice. If something looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, eats same stuff duck eats, lays duck eggs and so on and on it's rather a duck, you want to say "werll, but it may as well be doggo in disguise" you're making fool of yourself only, from that noone can stop you ;p

6 years ago

I already admitted the error could go both ways. I had said that it generally resulted in an increased level, an example would be when Daedalic Adventure Bundle goes on sale which occurred twice in the last month. Your example of the opposite happening happened a few years ago, hardly evidence that it occurs often.

You claim countless evidences, yet when I asked for examples of my opinions opposing data you cite nothing.

6 years ago

I cite nothing? I gave you all possible evidence any group can represent. I gave you examples, you have examples in OP, you have full history of group events presented in spreadsheets linked in OP, spreadsheets containing full data of each and every member in history, all created GAs, detailed stats for all users, GAs, separate events etc. You have link to SG Group page, when you can review whole group history and compare them to mentioned spreadsheets to see they are not manipulated in any way and represent real actual data, group offers full visibility of all data to everyone intrested, not just admins or members, like most of SG group do. So you have full data of 9 events, hundreds of members, thousands of GAs, and nowhere in all of this anything like what you are talking about happened. Yet you ignore such evidence and go on with your gibberish, then it makes you look silly, simple enough ;p

6 years ago

I asked for citations of "my opinions opposing data", not citations of data itself. I had previously asked "What opinions did I state that opposed available data" in response to your comment "instead you state opinions without basing them on any data, actually opposing this data, even if data is served to you directly" but never seemed to get a proper response.
Your one possible citation of mine, "well I didn't follow so I can not know", was not even me and your argument of what I supposedly said was essentially what I had in fact said. I did not do a deep dive into all the available data as it is a mountain of data, as you said "hundreds of members, thousands of GAs".
I don't ever recall doubting the validity of the data, so I am not sure why you are trying so hard to defend it.

6 years ago

"What opinions did I state that opposed available data"

First of all and it should be enough to prove the poitn - you inclined possible abuse by admins or group members of no lvl 4 restriction in GAs. You did so multiple times actually - first saying admins themselves can take advantage, then saying they can rogue-invite friends to steal GAs etc. The data presented clearly proves such assumptions wrong - out of 8k+ GAs never non-group member enter nor won, yet you kept going with such assumptions.

But really - there is no point to this discussion - like I said - you can believe in anything you want, not my problem how silly you may make youreself look. You don't want to join a group that can possibly steal so much from you (despite having hard data proving your corncerns have no solid ground), noone is forcing you to do so. I clearly explained why your paranoid assumptions have no ground in hard facts, which all have been presented in OP. You in return instead of saying "ok, my bad" go alld efensive despite whatever evidence you may be presented with. You may not be able to read and understand data, you may be so egocentric and full of yourself that you will defend your point just for sake of "not ever being wrong, cause I cannot be wrong, everyone else must be wrong, but I am always right", you may be trolling for sake of trolling, you may be doing it for whatever other reason possible - not my corncern really ;p Any SG group is based on principle that the user themself want to join, if you don't, why bother, and more important why would I bother explaining the same stuff over and over again ;)

So no longer going to reply, I stated all facts, evidences, arguments, if you wanna keep arguying for the sake of arguying, not really wort my time, but feel free to do whatever you wish ;) After all I'm not the one making fool of myself here ;)

6 years ago

Never did I say that they were doing these things, or that they were likely or even were going to happen. I only happened to mention their remote possibility, based on an error in judgement a different group admin once had in a different group. I never said I had a problem with that particular requirement either, more that it was a curiosity. The OP never stated the reason for the no CV requirement, at least that I could find.

Your continued replies would seem to indicate some sort of fundamental law of the universe where no abuse could occur within this group either by admins or other group members even if an account was compromised or the bot hacked. That the universe would choose to cease to exist in order to protect the very nature of the group. I am deeply sorry I had understood this truth of the universe and its deeply ingrained failsafes for this group...

Also, just because something hasn't happened in the past does not mean it could not happen in the future. How many years was it before you could communicate on the computer? More or less years than this event has been occurring? For all those years nothing happened until suddenly, they did.

6 years ago

INCLINE ;) I know from this conversation already - you have problems reading and understanding at the same time, but google is your friend! ;) And ofc, if something haven't happened in the past it's no proof it won't happen - but it is a proof it is unlikelly to happen. I haven't won in a EuroJackpot so far, but it is no proof I will. Still if I would go boasting what I will spend my 500mil EUR on right now, based on a fact I haven't won yet,m so "I may as well can" I'd be an idiot ;) But like I said - noone can stop me from proving my siliness to everyone around ;)

6 years ago

I cannot believe SimGiv gets resurected! I'd love to participate once more, maybe on smaller scale this time (Poland still cannot buy many of the games on Steam after introduction of PLN), but still ;)

6 years ago*

+TREEEES

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Not in, but have a gif as bump :)

View attached image.
6 years ago

Aw too bad. We still like Hiro a lot!

6 years ago

Miss you, but thanks for the bump.

6 years ago

I'd like to participate one more time if you'll have me :)

6 years ago

+1.

6 years ago

+TREES

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

I'd like to join again, I have some gibs in mind already :D And I'm almost done with all my SimGive wins so far, I may need some new ones soon ;)

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

<3

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

<3

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago

Nice to see this come back :)

I'd love to join this event again!

6 years ago

+1.

6 years ago

bigz doesn't mess around, so an easy one for me to support.

+TREES

6 years ago

+Zod and the PhantomZone

6 years ago

Deleted

6 years ago

+1

6 years ago