Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Thanks for staying open source. I never disabled GA descriptions, nor set up filters, so I was oblivious to this drama until just now.

5 years ago

Recently I have restored the extension settings, but I do not remember to leave the option to display the giveawaya description every time I enter it on. Anyone help?

4 years ago

Giveaway descriptions pop up for me as well all of a sudden when I enter GAs and I just can't find the option to turn it off.
Have you figured it out yet by any chance?

4 years ago

Where to find option to hide description?

4 years ago

There is a cache and you can use custom filters but you can no longer simply hide the description with ESGST. If that's not enough for you there's the a-esgst userscript

4 years ago

That's no bookmark but the giveaway description popup and you can no longer disable it: https://www.steamgifts.com/go/comment/Udd5h8M

4 years ago

Please make it an option. I usually only comment after I read the description and enter. Now I have to scroll back to the top on every giveaway to do that.

4 years ago

Yes, please make it an option for BOTH forum and giveaway pages... It's really annoying having to scroll up to read the description.

4 years ago

Hi, in this last week, i think after update, i don't know hot remove pop-up of description/message from the user, every time i click the green button on each GA . is a bug? i miss something? I use Chrome
[SG]Giveaway Popup is off
1.[SG]Automatically bookmark giveaways when trying to enter them without enough points .
2.[SG]Cache repeated descriptions from the same creator for 1 hour and only show them once.
3.[SG]Filter descriptions.
4.[SG]Only enable for popups.
5.[SG]Pop up a box to reply to the giveaway when entering it.
6.[SG]Pop up the first page of comments of the giveaway when entering it, if it has any comments.

ALL off

4 years ago

ESGST changelog for 8.3.8:

1326 Enter / Leave Giveaway Button: remove option to show description and make it mandatory

There was some discussion about that change in this thread starting around here.

4 years ago

One question, please. When opening a thread, now I have to the left of the number of comments of the thread, three vertical buttons (: 13,761 Comments, using this thread example, but three instead of two buttons) . when pressing those three vertical buttons I see hidden different options, like searching for comments or image carousell, which before were not hidden. Is there any way to NOT make it hidden by default.

Another question: In the normal steamgifts.com page I always had under each giveaway

Number of entries (example. 1588) - Number of comments (example, 3 comments) - Show description (If I want to see the description

But recently I am watching that this goes instead

Show description - Number of entries - Number of comments

Can it be something I did with ESGST?

Thanks.

4 years ago*

This is a super annoying change. I don't understand why we are forced to have this be mandatory now. I feel like the option should be there. I hate having to close the box every time. I don't read the descriptions anyways. Most of them are useless.

4 years ago

ESGST changelog for 8.3.8:

1326 Enter / Leave Giveaway Button: remove option to show description and make it mandatory

There was some discussion about that change in this thread starting around here.

4 years ago

Is there a way to get rid of the descriptions. For over months or so they started popping up and I, as it seems cant find the way to disable it.

4 years ago

It's intended that you can't easily get rid of the descriptions since 8.3.8:

There is a cache feature and a custom filters feature you can use to reduce the amount of descriptions you see. If that's not enough for you then there is A-ESGST.

4 years ago

I've had enough with the description popup. Totally fed up. It kills the workflow... the very reason I installed the script to begin with. I can't even find a good reason this was forced on users. Probably for the people who think they are clever saying "I got this key from a shady source so if you enter you agree to not penalize me if the key is no good"

Anyone recommend a fork that doesn't have this crap? Also looking to toggle hide/show already entered giveaways

4 years ago

"Kills the workflow" is just a half-assed excuse for "I want to enter as many giveaways as I can, as fast as I can, with the least possible interaction with the creators"

That is exactly right. WHY ELSE would I use it? That is literally the point

"Also, please learn how to use the search function ... even right here in this page, 5 comments above yours"

Amazing ,use of the search function for "fork" only mentioned Foxbonds fork which was taken down. But if it makes you feel better thinking I'm the idiot, whatevs. I now see at46's comment about A-ESGST, located at https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/EL31e/ in case anyone ELSE tries to search for a fork. Fork.

I'd just like to end this conversation with stating that you and I clearly see SteamGifts as two different things. I see it as a place to give away the games I don't want, need, or otherwise can't use. In turn, I get games that other people don't want, need, or can't otherwise use. Your beef seems to be that you see it as a way for people to promote their social media, game company, ponzi scheme, whatever, for the cost of a game.

Anyway, the popup is just bad UI. You could simply put a div under each giveaway with the description, still in clear view of anyone entering said giveaway. But apparently this isn't in-your-face enough because of your idea of what SteamGifts is.

4 years ago

WHY ELSE would I use it?

To speed up the process, while still being grateful for the opportunity to win a game that was, you know, bought by someone. Just by not having to open a new tab to enter a giveaway, you're already saving plenty of time and resources. And there are many giveaways that don't have a description, so letting the extension check this for you is also a huge time saver.

use of the search function for "fork" only mentioned Foxbonds fork

Plenty of keywords you could have used to search for this topic that are way more relevant than "fork", such as "description". And, like I said, you didn't even need to search because there was a comment 5 comments above yours about it, so just some observation skills could have helped you.

I see it as a place to give away the games I don't want, need, or otherwise can't use. In turn, I get games that other people don't want, need, or can't otherwise use.

Just because you have that philosophy doesn't mean everyone else does. I've given away plenty of games I wanted. If you want to trade games, SteamTrades is there for you.

Your beef seems to be that you see it as a way for people to promote their social media, game company, ponzi scheme, whatever, for the cost of a game.

What? When did I ever imply that? Most of the time it's useful information, like a possible region restriction, a possible not working key, a restriction about not entering if you own a certain number of games in a package, a warning about the giveaway being enterable even if you own the game etc.

You could simply put a div under each giveaway with the description, still in clear view of anyone entering said giveaway. But apparently this isn't in-your-face enough because of your idea of what SteamGifts is.

That would be much more "in-your-face" than a popup that you can simply click out of. A div under the giveaway would not only push all other giveaways down, but would also completely mess with the flow of the page, while a popup is much less "in-your-face" because it doesn't modify the page at all.

On the contrary, you're the one who has a warped idea of what SteamGifts is. And like I said, take that to JustArchi's fork, where leechers like you belong.

4 years ago

I like the "show description", button, but I don't know why, in the giveaways of the main page, it's always to the extreme left, and I would like to move itto the extreme right, after "number of entries" and "number of comments"

I have tried to fix it in 11., Element Ordering, without success.

Any way I could move it. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

4 years ago

Thanks for the answer, but, in "Giveaways Links" I have:
Entries Comments Winners Count

I don't have anything about Show/Hide description

4 years ago

hey, The rafael!

it looks like Giveaway Templates has a bug.

if a save a new and/or i use an old template, it keeps/remembers everything (Groups, Description) but the starting and ending dates

thanks. as always.

View attached image.
4 years ago*

I'm using the "Enter" button to enter giveaways without going to the page first, but I get a pop-up if there's a description. Anything I can add to the pop-up filter to get rid of this or any other way?

4 years ago*

You can only filter descriptions after they appeared at least once. So if the description is new, there's no way to prevent the popup from appearing.

4 years ago

I'm seeing the same thing. Can still enter though.
If you added a popup block to stop the required description popup in ESGST after that change was made, then the config button won't work because it is blocked with the other popups.

4 years ago

Not sure if I got what you want but if you are talking about the giveaway popup iirc Rafael made that mandatory with ESGST 8.3.8+ if there is a description in the giveaway. Discussion about that started around here.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.