In a call reporting fourth quarter 2016 earnings, Activision elaborated that “traditional combat will once again take center stage” in this year’s title, which is currently in development from Sledgehammer Games.

Activision also commented on the lower-than-expected sales of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare last year, noting that the “space setting didn’t resonate” with players, and Infinite Warfare “wasn’t the success we planned.”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/09/call-of-duty-2017-will-take-franchise-aback-to-its-rootsa

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Finally, hallelujah!!!!
I hope they develop new game in ww2 setting

7 years ago*

This is what boggles me. They basically said "New COD was bad, but the next one you haven't bought yet will be awesome af." and you are already celebrating. What happened to good old skepticism? I don't like the hype culture of today.

7 years ago

I think you're actually the one to be wrong here. You've gone down the whole "smart consumer skepticism" hole that you can't see that someone's excited about the developers finally acknowledging what fans want.

Yeah, being extremely hyped is bad and so on, but in the end, you're the one who's being overly skeptical and he's the one that's happy about something that has no impact on the games industry, unlike sales.

7 years ago

I don't think you can define right and wrong in a matter of ingesting PR/marketing announcements.

All I'm saying is that OP is gullible and in regards to the announcement - I'll believe it when I see it. It's not like they announced anything particular. Do we know anything else about the game? Can we be sure that Sledgehammer games actually understands what are the roots of the franchise?The "going back to the roots" way is a standard practice in a every case of once-great-now-failing franchise. It's either going back to the roots or hard reboot.

I agree that it's better if they try to make something similar to the game we once loved instead of making the same shit over again but that is a) very obvious, b) not what Activision usually does. "We're going back to the roots" and "“Traditional combat will once again take center stage” are empty phrases built on buzz-words of business jargon. I can't help it but seeing a player shouting "Finally, hallelujah!!!" makes me cringe. And I don't think it's a news-worthy subject in a first place. It may be as well reported as "Look what Activision PR team came up with this week in regards to making you excited for a new overpriced AAA title, but first let's have a look at these stunning graphics from this new upcoming Ubisoft game!".

So yeah, you're not wrong. I'm very happy staying in my "smart consumer skepticism hole". Maybe I would have a different view if I haven't stopped being CoD player and fan more almost a decade ago.

7 years ago

I think right/wrong apply here since the terms are weighing the validity of a central assumption within your post rather than evaluating some indeterminable representation of marking. The idea here being that someone is enthusiastic that the devs recognize, and agree, about something they find faulty with the series. This celebration isn't the guarantee of overall quality that you mistake it for, it's just related to some step (albeit a big, early, resonating one) towards a favorable direction. It's still totally fair for you to worry about the actual quality because of those other issues, and/or for that news to be personally meaningless as even an indicator they're on the right track. However, while all the things you say are definitely true (especially in this second post), you're wrong when applying these issues as contradictory of the excitement/reward/hype someone generates celebrating that decision. Even aside from the absolute subjectivity in how much it means person to person, you approach (what we'll just call) a good decision by emphasizing these other decisions that could go wrong later. Skepticism is good and you'd be right were that "yay" a call to preorder, but it rings here, to quote, "like the woman with a Virginia ham under each arm, crying cause she hasn’t got any bread." echoing out of that ultra-jaded consumer hole where even good means bad.

7 years ago

I just hope they will never go back to the WW2 setting, shooting nazis is damn boring and overused already.

7 years ago

On scale from 1 to 10 how much do i care about cod? minus 4.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

7 years ago

Even though I hated the most recent CoD games, I must admit I really liked the campaign of Infinite Warfare (can't say much about MP though). I'm happy seeing the success of BF 1 they decided to follow. A bit late, but never too late.

7 years ago

If you liked the campaign for Infinite Warfare, then there's no way you hated the other recent CoD Campaigns, those were great with great multiplayer to back it up. And they don't need to see BF1 success (which by the way is decreasing), they just need to see comments regarding their old games being better, which they don't.

7 years ago

Ghosts and Black Ops 3 were VERY boring in my opinion. I haven't tried Advanced Warfare though.

7 years ago

Was Black Ops 1 and 2 boring though? And I've not playedthem either so I can't tell if their boring or not.

7 years ago

I liked Black Ops 1, multiplayer was mediocre at best though.

7 years ago

Yes, I think this is exactly what happened in terms Activision's reasoning: BF1 went back to WWI and was a massive success, CoD went to space and flopped. So they decided to copy what was working for their competitor.

7 years ago

The space setting actually made the game look more interesting to me :(

7 years ago

Right? :D Maybe they should stop beating a dead horse and actually work on a new FPS title on space.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Partially it's a Quake/Unreal clone as they still insist on using the Quake Engine. But seriously, now that I think of it your description fits perfectly for Infinite Warfare :D

7 years ago

Nah, Call of Wolfenstein: Infinite Clichés sounds so much better...

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Skip the DLC bit and you have my interest. Picking the best parts from those 3 franchises would probably result in a game I would play.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Yeah, but I skipped the DLC bit :P

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Maybe they can get a new license for the Battletech franchise, and do a FPS successor to the MechAssault games to compete with Titanfall ?

At any rate, i feel they should just shelve the "Call of Duty" name for a while and let it recover from franchise fatigue.

7 years ago

Titanfall probably comes as close as you can get to that experience right now.

7 years ago

It did seem interesting a epic, just like the Black Ops ones with their setting but if you've watched "Everything Wrong with Infinite Warfare,then, well.....Nyeah....

7 years ago

I thought Black Ops looked like just another drab modern shooter. Turned out to be one of the better drab modern shooters.
Eh, I'm watching the video now, and thus far, if you skip the part about it being in space that he complains about things that are present in the other CoDs. Also, the "Gaming Sins" count seem to go up for things that are not really gaming sins, but just for "comedic effect". Like he thought AATIS sounded like Anus.
So basically, everything wrong with Infinite warfare that's not directly sci-fi related are also things wrong with every other CoD? And if I like sci-fi more than modern day settings, that would mean that there's less wrong with Infinite Warfare than with the other CoDs? (Sorry, but I'm not going to finish watching that video, it's just so annoying, and the "humor" feels so forced)

7 years ago

Yeah, it definitely turned out great, well, when it started at least but kept going acceptable. And you're right, people like their settings but it's evident people like more realistic than futuristic settings saddly when it comes to this specific shooter, yet people loved the hover tank DLC in Battlefield 4 or 3 which was a homage to Battlefield 2142, the most futuristic one. I love the old retro shooters but I don't nearly mind so much for the franchise's to go in futures, it's the most obvious and logical path of development for your games , you can only go forward, or stay but elsewhere or go back, which can bring issues like people talked it would be problematic for Far Cry Primal and BF1 which may be true and false at the same time but both games tried to counter limitations with more or less success, I still see people from BF1 complaining about unrealistic tech, lack of trenches and bolt action rifles.

Oh Christ, don't watch Gaming Sins, while not 100% wrong but neither 100% right, for the reasons you mentioned and more beyond that, he is quite cancerous, this is the guy you should be watching, Rattigan, he is more serious and sincere than that cancerous cunt at Gaming Sins, he can tell you more and better flaws and plusses within games, way more do component but not entirely at times of course, sorry for not mentioning that https://youtu.be/QX8WwoyGZ_U

7 years ago*

Same... I know more shooters who play in WW1/WW2 setting then shooters in a Sci-Fi setting...

7 years ago

Or maybe it will take place in the future, but with the graphics of the first game! And everyone will be trolled :D

7 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking :D Well it would be quite different from other titles atm, such a retro look and that stuff!

7 years ago

Probably requires only 160 GB HDD space.

7 years ago

I'd take it though... at least then I could run a new AAA game :P

7 years ago

Better yet: no new CoD, just more HD remasters of the previous games.

7 years ago

Best CoD games were the first, it's expansion and the second one, imho. :-)

7 years ago

couldnt agree more :)

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

I still play those a lot outside of Steam. :-)

7 years ago

Don't forget the third one and the fourth one (world at war) the best one.

7 years ago

Can't say about the third (because I never played that one) but World at War was also a very enjoyable game.

7 years ago

+1 Totaly agree, for me CoD 1 and 2 are best, followed by World at War at third place

7 years ago

Sounds like a very good lineup to me. :-)

7 years ago

You forgot 3

7 years ago

3 has better everything than 2 had except for locations, sections and settings, and maybe length too, I dont know, I just remember the British campaign being awesome, loved their bolt action rifle. It's a PS2 exclusive but it's worth emulating in my opinion.

7 years ago

Im like 99% sure next CoD will be as bad as any COD in the past 10 years.

7 years ago

Assuming the latest Cod titles were bad.

7 years ago

Back to its roots? So it'll be a mediocre linear WWII shooter that stood out only by its railshooter vehicle segments? =)
Since that was copied to death and WWII shooters are still should be about 3-4 years away from flooding the market left and right again, I guess they mean something that won't have some cinematic cut-scene every third step and let the player actually play the game for a little more (so now they'll get a cinematic cut-scene every fourth step!).

7 years ago

What? How was CoD 2 mediocre? :O
Those massive battlefields and spectacles. The extremely well made level design that had you fight the enemy tooth and nail just barely behind the line of being unfair.
You're talking about linearity like it's a bad thing. As I've grown up, I've grown to appreciate my own time. With that comes the idea of having handcrafted levels and stages. I don't want a huge open world to quite literally just waste my time away. I don't want to just drive from one location to the other for a mission just so I could feel like I'm in a big place. If I wanted that, I'd go outside and just walk from one place to another.
I want an experience, not tools and a sandbox.

I don't know.. maybe I'm wrong for wanting that.

7 years ago

The roots are Call of Duty 1, not the first sequel (out of many). :)

7 years ago

I just hope they bring the dog back.

7 years ago

Pretty sure that's a Ghost exclusive.

7 years ago

It's like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - you shouldn't give somebody a pirate ship (or a dog) and then take it away again.

I'm now hoping for Call of Duty: Infinite Pirate Ships and German Shepherds

7 years ago

So true. You can't expect people to go from steering a ship through the Caribbean to riding a fucking train around London at 10km/hr and be happy about it.

7 years ago

I don't care actually. MW3 was the last CoD i've played and kinda enjoyed.

7 years ago

Should have played Black Ops ones those were good.

7 years ago

just remember no pre orders :)

7 years ago

SO SAY WE ALL

7 years ago

did they learn nothing from battlefield 2142 flop? guess they had to fail for themselves to find that out..

7 years ago

They didn't work on or publish BF2142, so, no, also it flopped? But I love the game, one of the best BFs ever, the vehicles, the squad mechanics, the Titans, so good and still alive.

7 years ago

most developers at least pay attention to how well or horrible other games do. and compared to any other battlefield game, yes, horribly so. i personally kinda liked it too, but it didn't do the franchise any favors.

7 years ago

They do pay attention to that, it's the only thing they see. Horribly so? Even compared to obscure titles like Battlefield 1943 and their multitudes of expansion packs? Didnt do any favours? I wonder why, considering the game got revived by fans, same as BF2, and people are working on creating a game that resembles Battlefield Heroes most closely, that's the Bf I loved the most, crazy to hear they didn't get favours, BFH was shut down cause it was old, maybe same applies to 2142.

7 years ago

no idea on BFH, but BF2 & 2142 were shut down because gamespy servers went offline and it was too old to bother remaking the multiplayer aspects of the game. fans have since made unofficial servers. http://mp1st.com/2014/05/11/ea-shut-battlefield-1942-battlefield-2-battlefield-2142-online-services-june-30/

and yes, all futuristic war games tend to fail compared to historical based ones. take Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier™ as another example.

7 years ago

BFH was hella fun, I recommend watching their trailers, fantastic music, action and comedy, was a really fun game but they retired it because they thought it became too old for the modern day games, EA got everyone's money's and took it away, people loved it so much, they tried and talked about buying the game but are now making a hopefully faithfully enough fan game of it called Renegade Line. And yeah, too old, too greedy to make new servers.

Tom Clancy's Future Soldier failed? But wasn't Ghost Recon titles mostly successfull and mostly futuristic? In terms of equipment you get use anyway like the Advanced Warfighter for the PSP, I loved that one. They are worse than their modern first games on steam? Damn... Hurts to hear...

7 years ago

i don't mean any of them were a complete and total disaster type of fail or flop.. and out of them bf2142 was probably the most successful of the futuristic ones really too. but just in a comparison scale against the others in the franchise they don't do nearly as well. in the future soldier example it only has 67% positive reviews on steam compared to 90% on the original ghost recon (& dlcs) and mid 80%'s on the advanced warfighters that seem to no longer be on steam.

7 years ago

Wake me up when they start actually discounting their games, and maybe then my 'activision' category will include more than the back ops III demo I got from the humble monthly...

(Ok I lie a bit, I do have the classic Sierra games filed under there too).

View attached image.
7 years ago

Just noticed this is an old press release for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare;

"Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare returns to the roots of the franchise with large-scale war and a focus on cinematic, immersive military storytelling."

View attached image.
7 years ago*

THIS JUST IN: Marketing slogan that relies on short memories reused!

Nice find. =)

7 years ago

calling it now: call of genghis khan's duty

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

R'HLLOR WILL RESURRECT CPT PRICE AGAIN! Mark my words!

7 years ago

Agreed, COD roots are bound to Price:) he was even in COD 2:) RIP Soap!

7 years ago

View attached image.
7 years ago

Maybe it's just time to retire the whole series...

7 years ago

Or a spinoff at least?

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

7 years ago*

Never understood the obsession with WW/WW2 games. I mean, they are all the same!

7 years ago

The concept, yes, but what's happening in the game, the scenarios, the companions, the dangerous situations and historical battles made them so satisfying to play.

7 years ago

CALL OF DUTY 2017 WILL TRY TO DO WHAT BF1 DID BECAUSE IT SOLD WELL

Fixed that for you.

7 years ago

Only took 3 years and 4 games with mixed reviews, why do I still think they will screw it up somehow.

7 years ago

What I came here to say, but better.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

That's nice I guess, but I'm honestly tired of CoD already, I'm not sure if this will be enough for me. :p

7 years ago

Just like RE 6 took resident evil back to its roots? /s

7 years ago

hum... looks like devs find out what players want. I never thought it will take this long.

7 years ago

And we're trusting Activision to do it right why??? As soon as you turn around you'll feel something cold being jammed into your back.
Activision, Ubisoft and EA are the holy trinity of "Milk your fans for everything they've got" developers/publishers.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.