I made these 3d models for a dentist company a year ago, and now they wanted to add a bit of floss to them for some promotional materials and they came to me one day before deadline. Like this. 5 different models in total.

So instead of making a 3d model of the string (which would be quite time consuming because of all the small fibers and details) I photographed a few pieces (the photos I used was of course a bit better than this, but gives you a better idea on the cheapness of the method I used). The lightbox I use, and that I had from before, looks a bit like this, but instead of black paper I used a t-shirt.

And finally I photoshopped the dental floss onto the models. I had to keep the strings a bit less white and translucent because of the background having to be pure white. That's why they are as gray as they are.

And that's how I turned a few bits of dental floss into ~150$.

Have you done any out of the box thinking to make something out of nothing for work or school?

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Oh, I forgot to add, total time needed was 2 hours instead of, well, I don't know how long a 3D model of dental floss would take, but a LOT longer at least to make it look nice and not just like a flattened tube.

7 years ago

Gratz on the 150$, can't remember when I had a "think-outside-the-box" thingy but here's a funny pic to bump your thread :)

View attached image.
7 years ago

Might as well sleep inside the box as think outside of it. :)

7 years ago

I got told I was teaching a PE(physical education) class during my teacher training around an hour before I was to teach it. I pulled out of my arse a lesson and knocked out a lesson plan over dinner.

7 years ago

Feels a bit like what I'm doing now. Teaching computers to eldery once a week at the moment, and started last week, and it's so hard to come up with things to teach them. Mostly I come up with stuff on the spot and I try to get them to ask questions because 98% of the time I know the answer and the last 2% I can research during a break or for the next time.

Last time I did a course like this they were all complete beginners, but this time it's a mix of those that were on that course and a few that's worked with computers in the office, but wants to learn more. Impossible to balance something for everyone.

Today I hope they are bringing their bank-codes though so I can teach them how to use the bank on the internet. Luckily I have two bank accounts in different banks, and all except one had either of those banks. And that person was already able to pay bills online.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.