I've published a review on the Logitech G400 on my blog. You can read it on this link. It's a bit comparison heavy with my old mouse (Razer Deathadder), so it might be especially useful to anyone out there undecided between these two devices! Feel free to provide any feedback on it.

The next review, if all goes according to plan, should be on Natural Selection 2. It's my only Steamgifts win at the moment, so it'll be a way of giving back something. :p

Along with publishing the G400 review, I've started a couple of giveaways. One is on Steamgifts and the other is on my Facebook page. Hope you like it!

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Facebook giveaway only has one eligible participant so far... thought I'd point that out, so that someone else might join it and make it a bit more interesting. :p

Regarding the G400, anyone wants to share their opinion on it? Did you spot the same characteristics I did or was your experience different?

1 decade ago

Hey,

I skimmed your blog review, a bit too long and wordy for my liking. You should and a TL;DR at the end listing the pros and cons of the mouse, and if you would recommend it.

I personally love the G400, I own two of these mice. I also own a 3rd logitech G-mouse, very similar to the G400, but it has a bubble pattern.

I have large hands, so it fits perfectly and feels great. I really only use 3 buttons on this mouse (Right, Left, and the closer of the thumb button). Sometimes I use the other button when playing Torchlight2 or Diablo3.

This mouse is a great all around mouse, highly recommend it even if you don't play games

Thanks for the givaways, not entering

1 decade ago

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to make it thorough, basing it on a few months of usage, which is why it ended up "growing" a bit in size (wanted to create something more in-depth than the standard reviews found at places like Amazon). Your suggestion of adding a pros/cons box is great, I'll see if I can add it.

Regarding the buttons, those 3 are also the ones I stick to the most. However, I often use the DPI changes as well (in FPS games), even if they could have a better placement.

1 decade ago

Just a couple of hours to go on both giveaways.

The winner of the giveaway on Steamgifts will receive his key by e-mail, so please make sure that the address is correct!

The Facebook giveaway will have the entries closed at 22h. I'll then verify each entry and, after that, randomly pick a winner (using the generator at random.org). The winner will be announced on Facebook and receive his key by message there.

Good luck to all who entered!

1 decade ago

The giveaways have ended and both winners were sent their games. Hope you'll enjoy them!

1 decade ago

I too had the dreaded double click of doom as well as a million other things wrong with my lachesis. I ended up sending mine back to overclockers.co.uk because Razer didn't want to acknowledge me and the problems I was having (aswell as a lot of other people). Overclockers sent it back on my behalf (they had also tested it and had the same problems) but were straight up ignored by Razer so they gave me the chance to pick any mouse I wanted for the same price (Which was great of them). Sadly this put me off of Razer which was later added to by my buddy buying their latest headset at the time and going through three of them that refused to work or killed themselves after a week of normal use and the piss poor customer service. I wish I had originally gone with Logitech instead!

Enjoyed your review and it was easy to read :) I agree with adding a list of pros and cons at the end because not everyone will sit and fully read the reviews :) Thanks for the giveaways, only entered the facebook one :)

1 decade ago

Thanks for the feedback!

My experience with Razer was somewhat different. I initially e-mailed their UK support, which told me to perform the usual confirmation steps (update drivers, update firmware, test in a different computer). After doing that and telling them the issue persisted, I received an e-mail from the US support telling me to go to the store where I purchased the mouse so they could send it for RMA and a replacement mouse would be sent my way.

About a couple of weeks later, the store contacted me, saying that the problem couldn't be fixed and they were returning my money. I have to admit that I was surprised they didn't offer a replacement mouse, since that's what Razer said they would do, but... I guess in the end everything turned out alright, as I'm happier with the G400.

1 decade ago

:) I guess its one of those cases where everyone is going to have a different result from those sort of situations :) Glad you got yourself a G400 though, they're pretty nice :D

1 decade ago

Following the suggestions, I've added a Pros/Cons board. Placed it to the right of the review, so it's more easily seen when the reader loads the page.

Review Link

I'm also thinking about adding some sort of rating (A-F or 1-5 stars), although I'm usually not much of a fan of that. A more interesting alternative might be adding a short summary (5 lines max) below the pros/cons. Any thoughts?

1 decade ago

Awesome, I love the Pro/Cons. Not sure if a rating system is needed, but wouldn't hurt. I think 1-5 or 1-10 would be best used

1 decade ago

4 papayas out of 6

1 decade ago

Good mouse, would click again. 8/10.

1 decade ago

Ended up adding a short summary below the pros/cons, instead of a rating. Due to the pros/cons table's short width, it's longer than 5 lines, but it should provide all the basic information in a "quick to read" way.

1 decade ago

Not sure why anyone would want a G400. Not that great of a mouse in my opinion, but amazing for starters.

1 decade ago

My opinion's different, but I guess it might be a matter of personal preference. I think we can agree it offers excellent value for money, though. Sits comfortably between lower priced mice like A4Tech's and higher priced ones, like the DeathAdder, but competes with the higher priced models.

1 decade ago

Interesting, I have a Deathadder now, curious to see how the Logitech G400 is compared to it.

1 decade ago

I did the reverse move. I feel the G400 is better for my case, although I can also see that some people may prefer the Deathadder, depending on their playing characteristics.

1 decade ago

I own a G400, and it's awesome.

1 decade ago

I have a Deathadder at the moment, had considered the G400 but the Razor was on sale at the time :)

Good review, if my mouse gives me too much trouble the Logitech may be my next mouse.

1 decade ago

Curiously enough, I also bought my DA on sale. One of the reasons why I moved to the G400 was because the money returned by the store wasn't enough to buy another DA at regular price there. I considered the possibility of paying the extra amount, but ended up deciding to try the G400 for a lower price.

1 decade ago

Since you're doing reviews, might as well do a G600 and G700 comparison?

1 decade ago

I'd love to... but unfortunately I don't have access to those mice.

1 decade ago

Not a bad review, but put some pictures in it so it looks better and easier too look.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to add'em later on.

1 decade ago

First of: at 1080p fullscreen the blog text is far too wide to be read comfortably... Just thought I'd let you know.

Okay, on topic now:
(for refference I switched to G400 from Razer Krait)
I had the G400 for several months and I did like it a lot. The shape suited me well, I really liked the color and feel of the shell and the thumb buttons were quite handy and I had no issues with them at all. The mouse wheel was just like I wanted it. I didn't really use the DPI buttons much or at all so I can't comment on that. I mostly used it without drivers too as I heard that some people had issues with the drivers and this mouse. I don't know the details though. All in all the mouse has be absolutely great for several months. Up until the point the issues with the cord connection started happening - and mind you a LOT of G400 seem to have that issue.

For those of you that don't know what problems I'm talking about - The cord connection somehow gets weakened or something and the mouse keeps disconnecting with the windows USB disconnect sound. At first it stats rarely, once per month/week or so. But with usage it gets worse up to several times per hour and in the end it stops working pretty much completely (unless you use tape to position and tape the cord to the mouse in a way it works - I did that and it has been working fine for a few months after that. It just looks weird and makes me sad when I look at it). I have heard that if you send the mouse back to Logitech with that problem they will replace it for you but I have not tried that so I can't comment on that either.

A few months after that I bought the MX518 used from a friend at a LAN. So let me complement your party of comparison on the mouse here. The shape and look is pretty much identical - apart from the glossy top on the MX518. I like the G400 shell much better however. Performance wise I haven't seen any major difference, both the G400 and MX518 have performed great. Both mice use different drivers, but again I don't use them as I have no need for fancy stuff so I can't comment on that.

1 decade ago

...Wrote a wall of text I am so sorry D: let me fix that

tl;dr:
Pretty much agree with you except I had no issues with the size of the thumb buttons or the mouse wheel at all. Also haven't used the DPI buttons much.
It likes to get cord issues after several months of usage (see 2nd paragraph in my previous comment for details) and has rumored driver issues.
Compared to the MX518 pretty much looks and feels like the same mouse with a different (better in my opinion) non-glossy shell.

Oh also I thought I'd mention that I do not like the Deathadder shape/feel at all, the G400/MX518 is much more to my tastes.

1 decade ago

Regarding the text width, that's an interesting point of view. I did it on purpose to maximize viewing area, as I feel it's more comfortable to read that way (I'm also on 1080p resolution). Might be interesting to see additional opinions about it. Since columns aren't a usable option, adding photos on the side, increasing the font size or just make use of white space could be ways to change it.

As for your "wall of text", I actually favour it, since it contains relevant information, as I enjoy knowing about the details. :p One of the reasons why I write thorough reviews is because most of the stuff I find on-line is somewhat on the short side. I suppose most people prefer it that way, but hopefully there's people out there who are like me and will find these longer reviews useful. :p

On the cord issue, I suppose it might be related to its thickness. It's lighter and thinner than the MX518's, so it may be a bit more fragile. A braided cord, like the one in the DA, could help avoid that.

As for the drivers, I found the ones on the G400 to be nice and stable. Logitech gained quite a bit of a nasty reputation with the previous Setpoint drivers (the ones used by the MX518), but this new series seems to be a lot better - at least in its recent updates. Logitech's reputation on this matter made me hesitant to install them at first, but ended up doing so to "activate" the "reset DPI" button (which seems to only work with drivers installed). So far, they've worked nicely.

1 decade ago

The text width imo is way too wide. Setting the minimum width at 940 is way too big, and since I'm using a bigger monitor, it gets even wider and way too hard to read. I've rendered in three popular bookmarking/article reading services and taken some screenshots. You can see that this is with your page and this is the page rendered by readability , pocket, and instapaper. I would personally suggest setting the max-width of the article to be ~860px/880px or at least at 14-16px font.

I am not sure if its the particularly white background or the small font but the fonttype imo adds to the unreability. I would personally think that something such as Open Sans or Source Sans Pro would also increase readability. Both of these fonts can be pulled from Google web fonts, which would allow for easy implementation.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the feedback!

As I had mentioned, personally I prefer wider layouts, as I feel more comfortable with them. However, I'll take into consideration the points you and datenshi mentioned, so I can improve the page's layout. I've already did a minor change by increasing the font size to 16 points, but I'll look into this in more depth.

Any further suggestions or comments are welcome!

1 decade ago

I have one more suggestion: Make your site responsive. Also, I would also recommend reading this article on readability.

1 decade ago

Also agree with the text size (too large) and width (too wide).

The site probably works well on a tablet or smartphone, but reading that on a desktop computer at 1920 x 1200 was hard work :)

1 decade ago

No, it doesn't because its not responsive. The minimum width is way larger than the screen of the phone/tablet.

1 decade ago

Looks alright on my iPad.

Having the text the full width of the screen isn't ideal, but I've seen worse.

1 decade ago

I guess its more for phones than for anything. But still, this would just encourage people to use the reader feature of safari, which ends up make it much more readable.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm looking at possible tweaks I can implement to improve readability, so feel free to mention additional comments or suggestions.

1 decade ago

Following up on this, I've applied a few changes to the single post template that should make it more readable for everybody. Thanks for the feedback provided so far!

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by pamaro.