My graphics card is a Gigabyte Windforce R9 280, and as is the case with most AMD GPUs, it runs very hot, reaching ~86C. Trying to find a way around that, I got my HAF912 case a 200 mm fan to blow the hot air through its top. This has worked wonders, lowering the GPU max temps to about 70C. On the other hand, my room now has its own heating system (as if it couldn't get any hotter over here).

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience water cooling graphics cards, and if it's worth the work and cost involved.

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Can you post a real photo of your case inside? What are you to measure the temperature? Typically, sensors and software like to invent.)

8 years ago

I use hwmonitor and the fan controller's sensors, they seem to agree on the temperature. I'm at work right now, so I can't post a pic of the rig.

8 years ago

They both can take measurements from same sensor, and sensor almost allways shows temperature from the other side of nearest galaxy.) Only thermal imager can show real temperature, or atleast your hand can tell if they overheating.) But 70"C can fry your fingers.

8 years ago

It's hot, I wouldn't dream about touching the heatsink at full load. I've taken some measurements with a lab thermometer, and as it turns out, the area near the PC is ~3-4C above room temperature, so yes, that is one hot card...

8 years ago

I've been water-cooling my rigs since 2005/2006 and yeah it does keep your components much cooler. I switched to water-cooling primarily for noise reasons -- I can run larger and slower fans on a big radiator(s) and my rig is nearly silent. I also do quite a bit of overclocking, and H2O cooling helps achieve better stable overclocks.

However -- water-cooling won't do anything to lower temperatures in your room. The GPU is still going to create the exact same amount of heat under water, and that same amount of heat is still dissipated into the surrounding air. The only thing that changes is the means by which it is dissipated -- through a radiator rather than out the top/sides/back of your case. So, if that's the primary reason for switching to water-cooling, don't bother. My rig is still a space heater. ;)

As far as difficulty and cost -- it's not terribly difficult, and definitely not as difficult as many people seem to think. If you can put a PC together, you can educate yourself and learn how to set up a good water-cooled rig. If anything, it's easier than ever. Watch some videos, check out a few sites, and read reviews of the various products involved. Cost - yeah, you're going to pay more - and usually a LOT more. You're looking at $100+ for good GPU full coverage WB alone. Altogether my current H2O gear (2 rads, waterblocks for CPU and GPU, fans, tubing, fittings, reservoir, and modded pump) set me back over $600. On the plus side, typically you can re-use the pump, fittings, radiators, and fans (and sometimes even a CPU block) in your next build.

Here is a link to my last water-cooled rig. A lot of it's been replaced since then (mobo, CPU, GPUs, and other components) - I've just been too lazy to keep up on ModsRigs lately.

8 years ago*

Good work.) What temperature of your HDD's or SSD's?

8 years ago

To answer your questions --SDD temps are irrelevant. They don't have moving parts, and they always report the same temps (no sensors). The mechanical drive temps sit right around 29C-30C, but can fluctuate anywhere between 23C and 33C (It's a cold day, so have the heat on at the moment).

8 years ago

I'm asking, because i see them in the box and do not see the airflow around them. The absence of movable parts doesn't mean he can't heat, and heat for SSD are also not well. HDD can heat also if SSD close to him in little space.
Do not trust ANY sensor exept thermal imager or atleast your hand.)

8 years ago

They're not in a box, that is just a cover for the side of the HDD cage. There are two 140mm fans pushing outside air directly over them, and I even modified the front panel with an additional opening and screen for added airflow.

8 years ago

You place two big fans on a front panel to blow airflow out?

8 years ago

No, they're intakes.

8 years ago

Oh, okay, because you say "pushing outside".) It's right decision.)

8 years ago

That's one neat rig... kudos.

8 years ago

Thanks a lot, Tzaar! That's what I afraid of... I knew about the thermodynamics of it, but was hoping maybe the heat could dissipate differently because of the radiator. There's not much else I can do, It never bothered me before I got the large fan, but that's because it was contained inside the case, obviously. Noise wasn't much of an issue, until one of the card's three fans started to make a very annoying clicking sound.

A proper GPU block and the rest of the set isn't really cost-effective, as it would be probably more expensive than my entire rig at the current exchange rates. I was thinking something like a Corsair H55 with a Kraken G10 mount -- which would cost me almost as much as the R9 280 itself. Maybe I should start saving for a NVidia 9xx card instead...

8 years ago

I haven't used a Kraken yet, but I have used a couple of the Corsair offerings in customer builds (and I use the H50 in my HTPC because a larger air cooler won't fit). They're really not much quieter than something like the CM Hyper 212 (depends on the fans you're using, of course), and they don't cool all that much better (unless you get the larger rad options like the H100, etc). Also, you're still going to get the heat in your room.

Really (like you said) the only way to lower heat output is to get components that run cooler (lower TDP). Personally, I'd wait for the next-gen GPUs before making a purchase to see what they bring to the table. If you're dead set on lowering room temperature this minute, I'd pick up a used card somewhere to save a few $$$.

8 years ago

Even worse than I had thought, then... a H100 is too expensive for this particular rig, and the large radiator would block most of the airflow inside the case, which would probably require a water cooler for the CPU as well... it would be probably cheaper to buy an AC for the room...

8 years ago

it would be probably cheaper to buy an AC for the room...

Yep, that's what I did. ;)

8 years ago

This wasn't a particularly hot town by Brazilian standards... we would expect nighttime temperatures of about 19-21C at this time of the year, but they have risen significantly over the last decade or so. So much for global warming being a hoax.

8 years ago

If you want to dissipate it in a wider area, you should switch the 200 mm fan to a high-pressure 140 mm fan as an outtake, since it'll spread the air in a huge angle. The drawback is that it needs to be fairly close to the GPU to suck out the air.

Edit: By the way, NVidia cards aren't that cooler either…

8 years ago

I've tried that, but with poorer results... also tried the 140mm one blowing outside air directly on the card via the side window, but that actually makes it hotter. The best I could come up with is two 120 mm fans (intake/outtake) and the 200 mm.

NVidia cards aren't that cooler either…

I know, I've owned a few of the older ones, but a GTX960's TDP is less than half than that of my card...

8 years ago*

If you blow air on it, you just disrupt the flow of the heat dissipation fans. You'd have to turn them over to blow air on the fins and blow cool air on the fans themselves to make sure to have cool air supply for a better effect – cases where the CPU coolers are short and use a single-fan on top of the chip sometimes use this arrangement (my current rig does also).
If you really want to cool that card more, then just open the case and let the fans blow the hot air in the open. (You can even put a normal room fan near it so it blows air in parallel to the case, like if a wind was constantly pulling away the heat.) Or even better, let the motherboard rest on a table on a completely open air environment, like on a test pad.

8 years ago

Had a sli set up a couple years back and had it all water cooled,while it did make my cards run cooler and quieter it still heated my office exactly the same, water cooling can be a big pain in the ass and can get very expensive really fast if your doing your whole system,i use a closed loop system for my Cpu these days and i dont bother liquid cooling the Gpu they are made to be able to handle some heat so i let them:)

Some gpu water blocks can cost as much as the cards themselves so unless you are planning on overclocking the heck out of it i would just leave it as is and if your diehard of getting it liquid cooled i would just go with a closed loop set up for it they are much cheaper and are a lot less work.

8 years ago

they are made to be able to handle some heat

they are, I wouldn't mind having it run at 80+C, but it was also overheating the CPU and HDDs.

Some gpu water blocks can cost as much as the cards themselves

Exactly... a used 7950 block goes for about the same as a new R9 270x over here...

8 years ago

but it was also overheating the CPU and HDDs.

Bane of small cases. This is why I have a Phanteks Enthoo Pro now.

8 years ago

I blame the card. I have a backup rig built in a HP "small tower" case, with a single 80mm outtake fan, and it never overheats, even with its A10 APU and 7790...

8 years ago

I wish you luck, but nature will find a way. Last Summer I finally managed to get my computer running without overheating during a heat wave but then the capacitors in my monitor popped. I think air conditioning or components that throw out less heat are your only long term solutions if you are consistently having problems.

8 years ago

the capacitors in my monitor popped

:o that must've been a serious heat wave...

8 years ago

It was very hot and the heat my computer was throwing out in a small room didn't help at all however it was being dispersed. Fortunately the board with popped capacitors turned out to be quite generic and I got a used replacement from some electronics recycling place on eBay dirt cheap.

8 years ago

Samsung?

8 years ago

Sanyo.

8 years ago

they are made to be able to handle some heat

they are, I wouldn't mind having it run at 80+C, but it was also overheating the CPU and HDDs.

Some gpu water blocks can cost as much as the cards themselves

Exactly... a used 7950 block goes for about the same as a new R9 270x over here...

8 years ago

I've reopened this to let you know I was able to undervolt my card with the latest version of VBA7, and it's helped with the heat issue. All my NVidias ran undervolted, but the last AMDs I've owned were voltage-locked... until now!

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.