What happened between 2013-2016 and it has SO many comments? :o

*PLEASE pic show normallyyyyy!

Edit: It did show normally! Yiiiihaaaaaaaaa!!! I'm starting to get the handle on this :D

View attached image.
2 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Because then the site was as it's best and it went downhill from there?

2 years ago

If you want to talk about when things really went bad, it was when Fortix was added to the bundle list. :)

2 years ago

That, and people starting personal attacks, and some that weren't even involved got sick of the fights and left over that.

2 years ago

You avatar is very strange.
Depending on my mood i see a white body with had and a colored background OR two legs, something between (i don't go into details :-D) and the white is the free part between the legs.

When you one time seen it, you can't delete it from your mind..... muhahahahahaha

2 years ago

Funny thing- every time I see your avatar, I see a woman with while makeup, only a single visible eye (the other presumably covered by black hair) with very big eyelashes, red lipstick and visible red blush on the side of her face... then I remember what it's actually like in its normal size and the illusion immediately shatters.
(I think it's because I initially focus on the black thingy and it looks like an eye, so my mind tries to build a face around it.)

2 years ago*

This was me, too! :D

2 years ago

That's a new angle, but I can see it lol

2 years ago

What have you done to me that I can see it now as well :v

2 years ago

Haha, I see it every time as well :)

2 years ago

Damn, when only seeing this little image I always thought it was woman xD now zoomed in and welp, I have been living in lie

2 years ago

stop playing Hentai games, :D

2 years ago

"What is seen cannot be unseen."

:D

2 years ago

To me it still looks like an elephant and need the extra try to see what you meant xD

And like the rest, I also first see differently your avatar :P

2 years ago

Open his user profile and it will not more look like a elephant^^

I can't see my avatar different. I tried it for many days on different occasions.
No luck with it. Maybe because i see it so often and in bigger.

2 years ago

hahahahahahaha

I see and what you see.. But only if I look hard enough xD Maybe because a tiny elephant isn't to my licking xD
But I do like this avatar a lot :D

2 years ago

What happened with Fortix?

2 years ago

Oh, it got bundled. For a while it was a cheap game that many people would buy it for $1 and give it away for $1. It was one of the two big inside jokes, along with "Thanks for Skyrim!" But it was also a rite of passage, where everyone needed to give it away once. However, after it got bundled, it no longer made sense to buy. Ahhh, good times ...

2 years ago

This looks like fun times indeed xD
I'm guessing it was a loooooot different back then.. More "community"

2 years ago

this.

2 years ago

I think it essentially followed the introduction of Steamgifts v2.0, which had integrated blacklists. Then over the course of a year or two, an increasing number of giveaway creators started to threaten others with blacklists if they posted, "Thanks."

2 years ago

I was also around that time that notifications about new messages started being a thing, right?

I remember back in the day it was more of a "let's have a look at the stuff I created and browse through all the replies there" and there everyone saying thanks was okay, but then the notifications came and a constant "a lot of unread messages" was really annoying.

2 years ago

This.

Suddenly, generic "thanks" comments went from being mildly annoying to full-on inbox clutter. (Where before, there was no inbox. Period.)

2 years ago

Hmmm.. But still.. I think inbox is better :P
At the end of the day, if you aren't to read something "mark as read" and skiiiip :P (like it was before with no inbox)

2 years ago

Yeah, for a lot of the anti-Thanks crowd, I think the underlying issue was notifications. It never bothered me and I appreciate a little common courtesy. But since it seems like the general attitude is that more people find it annoying, I've since pretty much stopped.

2 years ago

I think the steamgifts we have now turn like this in 2015..the site was down for a couple of days till this site went up. I'm not sure what's has been in 2012/2013 though, as I joined in 2014.

2 years ago

Because for those years the site culture was for people to say thank you on giveaways all the time. Then the site culture changed to only commenting on giveaways after winning.

2 years ago

to only commenting on giveaways after winning.

If at all. Bots are rather rude.

2 years ago

Between the time when the oceans were filled with bundles and the rise of the gifting restrictions, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Konrads, destined to wear the jeweled crown of permaban upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

2 years ago*

Konraaaaaad... the adventureeeeeeer!

Konraaaaaaad... the warrior without feeeeeeeear!

He's more powerful than any man whose legend ever crossed the land or sea.

2 years ago

Free Konrads!

2 years ago

Phahaha the flame of rebellion still burns strong.

2 years ago

konrad is a fine example of the effects of nostalgia kicking in. But I do wonder what he is up to these days. Or his sister. Or was it nephews? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 years ago

I too wonder what he is peddling now, what GTA Vs of the world he is melting down into coinz for profittz.

2 years ago

He and his brother did nothing wrong

2 years ago

Konrads of House Steamgifts, the First of His Name, King of Profitz and the First Perma Ban, Protector of Giveaways and Bearer of Coinz

2 years ago

I've heard of this "legend" in another post somewhere.. Forgot what he did but to be remembered after so long :o It must had been very.. "special"

2 years ago

Edit: It did show normally! Yiiiihaaaaaaaaa!!! I'm starting to get the handle on this :D

Pfff, only because a master wrote it for you ... :-P

2 years ago

The format guide reeeeally needs a better writing xD

2 years ago

There were incredible amounts of thank you messages , along with a more active community

2 years ago

Deleted. Misunderstood the question.

2 years ago*

Etiquette changed. Early on it was considered polite to write "Thank you" whenever you enter a giveaway, then people came to find that annoying (especially after message notifications were added to the site) and stopped.

2 years ago

Bad Rats giveaways. People talked of little else.

2 years ago

most people on here are bots just looking for free games

2 years ago

I don't think that's recent.. I mean, in every site/forum I know, the "bots" (modern or older) are there from the start of times teheheheehe

2 years ago

there was an actual community, people had a backbone and weren't scared by divergent views or the ocasional shitposting.
still remember being contacted on steam by another user telling me a small group of SG weirdos were making comments that painted me as some kind of monster. When in reality i was barely active, barely knew who they were and why i was invited by their friend to be part of his whitelist group. Then i saw private comments they did demonizing yet another user that was then banned. thats around the time i started spending even less time on steamgifts
SG is but a fraction of what it once was, but honestly i couldnt care less if i can skip on the soap opera drama

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

I remember, that was a mob group targeting people who doesn't adequate to their own personal beliefs

2 years ago

I think it's time I learn how to post a gif xD

I need a "but why?.." gif xD

2 years ago

Personally i prefer that format when used for well known gifs

2 years ago

On it's second year, SG became public, it was something smaller and harder to get in before. After becoming public the site had a long flush of user and was growing bigger every year and then on 2016 Blacklists and Whitelists were added, people then stopped commenting because anything you say could get you blacklisted.

Jokes aside, a lot of it's user simply grew, and kids nowadays play more on their phones or on consoles, can't blame them, PCs are way too expensive at the moment.

Back on 2015 Steam introduced region locks as well, so gifting and trading became even harder for a lot of regions.

2 years ago*

Also restrictions on cross-border gifting based on price differences really killed things. I had completely forgotten about these. Bad memories.

2 years ago

Hmm.. Region locks would throw down the number of ga's made.. But why the number of comments?
If anything it should make them more -> "complaint comments blah blah blah"

2 years ago

Well, with less giveaways made, then, it stands to reason the comments on those would also lower. But, the principal cause in my opinion is the introduction of blacklists. I just numbered what happened back then.

2 years ago

It was SG golden age before Blacklists were introduced

2 years ago

What does it have to do with blacklists though? People were commenting more because there were fewer bots, less ingrates and probably more giveaways as a whole because bundles still were a thing and the grey market wasn't.

2 years ago

How do you know? You've only been here since 2018

2 years ago

It's been talked about again and again. Also, I wasn't born when WWII happened and I still can figure it out. I know, it's a gift and a curse.

2 years ago

Comments and bots have no connection..
The number of those commenting has nothing to do with "bots rise". Even if some quit because bots became more known it wouldn't cripple it like this.
For the ingrates blame the "thank you only if you win or even better not at all" :P And "if I comment, I'm a bot -> insta bl"
From site statistics it looks like there were more ga's but I doubt it has to do with bundles vs grey market.. The total sum is the same

2 years ago

Comments and bots have no connection..

Well bots tend to be less polite than human beings.

For the ingrates blame the "thank you only if you win or even better not at all"

I blame the "gimme gimme" attitude that's prevalent pretty much everywhere online nowadays. I try to follow the usual etiquette and not bother people who don't wish to get their inbox flooded with notifications on GAs unless I have something useful to say about the GA. When I win, I say thank you. It's a matter of courtesy. People who win GAs and don't even say thanks are not worried about being treated like bots, they just don't consider gifters as people. SG is just a free vending machine of +1 for them, that's all.

From site statistics it looks like there were more ga's but I doubt it has to do with bundles vs grey market.. The total sum is the same

Sorry, I don't get it. Were there more GAs or the same number?

2 years ago

I guess "thank you" mesages were more.. But depends on the bot. Some do, some don't

"gimme gimme" I almost spilled my coffee xD And let's not forget every sick fantastical family membet/pet/neighbor /plant/whatever they think as an excuse..
It depends what ga it is for me and what the gifter says in the description..
I don't mind that people want the +1 but yeah.. Forgetting that the gifter is a person and nit a vending machine is bad.

https://www.steamgifts.com/stats/community/giveaways (I'm from mobile atm)

Hmmm.. 2013 had less.. 2016 had more.. Depends the year I guess but generally around 2016 it had a lot more ga's

2 years ago

View attached image.
2 years ago

I love it xD Saved it xD

2 years ago

There was a time when steam let devs sell their games for as low as 9 cents each(remember when steam made the announcement that the lowest a game will be is 49 cents), and they had a much easier time getting thousands of keys from valve, and there were a lot more 1 dollar bundles, and it was kind of common to leave a lot of comments, which kind of stopped at some point, I know I got blacklisted for saying thank you to giveaways. With more and more restrictions applied, not just by steam but also by steamgifts itself and the users, it's only natural that curve will go down and will keep going down to a certain point.

2 years ago

I had forgotten about the 9 cents (as I was not using steam at the time), along with steam gifts and extra copies of games (all before my time on steam). But this would throw down the number of ga's.. Why the number of comments? (apart from thank you messages) If anything, I'd expect more for complaints.

The second point yeah.. Makes sense (I didn't knew when they got introduced)

2 years ago

That was the golden age of SG. A lot more people active.

2 years ago

those were the times when they give puzzle links mentioning it was skyrim. Then you type thanks for skyrim. Then it appears to be fortix but with another puzzle in giveaway mentioning it is skyrim again. Then you comment thanks for skyrim again. then it appears to be bad rats. See x2 comments.

Jokes aside. The only truth is the blacklist introduction.

Tomorrow I will edit this post and tell how many people blacklisted me by just commenting on this.

Edit1: 5 hours and got 2 blacklist. :)

2 years ago*

Details xD What puzzle, what Skyrim, what "scam" (looks like people tried to trick people?)? I'm lost xD

2 years ago

I just blacklisted you to play along, so only 1 actual blacklist

2 years ago

My 2014 World Cup thread, obviously.

2 years ago

That guessing octopus was at some later event iirc?

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

lol

2 years ago

insert devil pic

xD

2 years ago

Steam sales started to deteriorate.
A bunch of rude people became hostile towards some well-liked people.
Blink Bundle changed.
Tremorgames closed.
People got lives and new people missed out on the good stuff so things got boring.

2 years ago

I joined the site and everything basically went down hill after that :D

View attached image.
2 years ago

The Golden Age of Bundles happened.

The first Humble Bundles used to be spaced apart by entire months, this was 2010 - 2011 IIRC. By 2012, the bundle market started revving up its engines, Humble had already changed from a one-time gig to a business, new players were joining the fray, IndieRoyale, backed by Desura, IndieGala and Groupees.

Around 2011/2012 SteamGifts was established as a branch of sorts of SteamTrades, where some users had expressed a wish to give away games (I wasn't there, but so cg claimed); back then, the official stance was no bundles, then that decision was reversed and the floodgates opened.

Later, the Golden Age of Bundles ended and the long twilight came about. As a reference, the inception of Monthly took place by the end of 2015, off the top of my mind.

SteamGifts has had its own highs and lows, and those must've played a role, too, but I'm neither qualified nor interested in discussing those.

At the heart of everything there's bundles. Without Humble and bundfles, it's likely SteamGifts would've never picked up the way it did, perhaps might not even have existed to begin with.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.